Little Peter Pan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Nabi grew up in the worst way. Her parents not giving her affection or attention, causing her to spend many lonely nights hungry, locked away. Thank goodness for her dear sweet grandmother, who took pity on the child and brought her home for a better life. Now Nabi has stayed with grandma since age 4, a total of 15 years. But as the girl graduated high school, the old woman fell ill. Nabi had already spent her free time working to provide for the two, but having the only person that’s ever cared for her about to die was a whole new load of stress.

 

“Grandma,” Nabi whispered to the woman resting in bed. this was part of their daily routine, a quick prayer every morning before the girl left for work. But with the seasons changing from autumn to winter, she wasn’t able to help out as much at local farms, making her struggle to earn any money whatsoever by selling simple things on the side of the road.

 

Nabi held back a cough, having already caught a cold from standing outside in the cold for the past few weeks. She tucked her face in her elbow to wipe at her already runny nose. The girl walked across the small bedroom to check on grandma. Usually the woman would let out a sound letting Nabi know she was awake. Maybe she felt a little extra tired today.

 

“Grandmother?” Nabi asked in a whisper as she stood beside the bed. She watched the blanketed body rest, but the usual rising and falling motion didn’t appear. The girl’s heart stopped as she leaned in to check if the woman was breathing. Nabi lifted the cover and pulled it back to see her grandmother’s face in a neutral state, chest in position, not breathing. The girl’s eyes watered as she stood frozen, unsure of what to do. After a moment, she used her free hand and placed it on the woman’s shoulder, attempting to shake her awake.

 

“Grandma, grandma wake up,” the girl cried as the lifeless body rattled back and forth. But Nabi knew from the way her skin felt cold, that her wonderful and oh so dear grandmother was dead. She didn’t know what to do and left no motivation to leave the house. Maybe if she told the local doctor, begged him to check on her, that might make things okay. Nabi fell to her knees, hopeless and stupid with what to do.

 

A half hour or so passed, and the girl gathered herself. She stood and took one last look at her grandmother. It was snowing so intensely outside, but if she didn’t at least try to talk to a doctor then all hope for her grandmother would surely be gone. Nabi left the room and put on an extra heavy coat in addition to her grubby white hat, placing the worn out earmuffs on top. She stepped outside of the house and was greeted with harsh winds pushing her back, large snowflakes hitting her face.

 

Nabi hated the snow. It made everything so difficult. The girl wished she lived in a warm place, maybe even with a beach. She forced herself down the sidewalk, fighting the harsh storm. Nabi knew of the nearest medical practice, but it was quite a journey, the girl could barely see five feet in front of her, but had no other ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter