"Second: The Drift"

The Catastrophe in Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"That was so cool!" Jinyoung exclaimed, turning to Mark who is still holding his hand.

They just jumped from one place to another. Mark just told him to close his eyes and hold on tight. When he opened his eyes, he found himself in the place he asked Mark to take him to.

Mark let go of his hand before taking his hoodie off his head and studied the place they were in. They're standing in the sidewalk of the street covered with ginkgo leaves. It's fall, so it's only normal that the trees' leaves will fall out. Nevertheless, the streets in their neighborhood is still beautiful. 

"Where are we?" Mark asked, ruffling his hair, still scanning the whole place.

"In one of the lovely neighborhoods of Jinhae." Jinyoung said like it's a fact everyone knows. Tapping on the red haired's shoulder, Jinyoung started walking. "Come on, follow me."

 

It's an early morning in Jinhae, and since their neighborhood is one of the silent kinds, not much people are outside.

He could see some of his neighbors out on their yard, old ladies sweeping while chatting with each other; men talking over a cup of coffee; and kids walking together on their way to school. It's all too good to look at. Jinyoung really enjoys watching the people on their neighborhood getting on their own lives. Everything looks peaceful and quiet. Jinyoung is glad he gets to live in a wonderful neighborhood.

"Oh look, it's little Sungwon." Jinyoung exclaimed as he saw their four-year old neighbor, who is wearing a yellow cap and a small backpack. He remembers the little guy has been going to daycare. He could see in his cute little puffy face how excited Sungwon is, in going to school. It has been two months since he last saw the little guy because he has been busy with college.

"Sungwon-ie!!!" Jinyoung greeted, waving both his hands for Sungwon to see. But the little guy just went past him, jumping up and down in little skips. 

"He can't hear you, moreso, see you." He heard Mark who is beside him, looking a lot like bored, with his hands inside the pocket of his black hoodie. 

Just then, they heard Sungwon's mom calling on him while locking their gate. The mom and son duo held hands as they both went on their way to Sungwon's daycare. 

"What a bummer. I am here but they can't even see me." Jinyoung says with a pout which made the red haired frown in annoyance.

"What do you expect? You're not human anymore. Who would be able to see you?"

"It'll be nice if my parents or sisters have a third eye or something. Then they can see me."

"We're not in a supernatural movie, neither in a horror one, okay? Stop talking nonsense." Mark dismissed him. The older really looks and sounds fifty percent pissed and fifty percent done most of the time. Is this how the guy is like even when he was still alive? Where is the fun in that?

Jinyoung just curled his lips up and rolled his eyes before pointing his finger. "That's our house. Seventh house on your right. Let's go, before you pass out from too much boredom." He walked ahead of the soulless guy before Mark could even get the chance to get back at him. Funny, Mark told him he is not heartless and maybe he isn't. But the guy surely has no soul. In their group, Jinyoung was always branded as the no jam guy but wait til his friends meet Mark.

 

Jinyoung jumped onto the last step and now is face to face with their front door. They are finally in front of their house. He could smell something cooking at their kitchen, probably his mom preparing something for brunch? Inhaling a deep breath, Jinyoung brings his hand up and-

"You don't have to knock, you know." he hears from Mark again. This guy and his love for ruining moments for him. Jinyoung sees the red haired, still in his usual face expression which spells out B-O-R-E-D. "You're almost non-existent. Knocking is not needed. We can just pass through things easily."

"We could?"

Mark rolled his eyes and didn't answer him, instead, just stepped his foot inside the closed door and Jinyoung almost gasped at how it magically went through the wooden door right before his eyes. "You see my point?" Mark asked before rolling his eyes again and going completely inside their house, vanishing from his sight. Jinyoung followed immediately, feeling a bit ticklish when he felt his body passing through the wooden door.

"That was so cool."

"I didn't think I'll be stuck with a five year old kid." Mark hissed.

Jinyoung just ignored him and scanned their whole house. They were at the hallway, leading to the living room. He hears the indistinct sound coming from the television. When he hears the show's theme song, only then did he confirm that it's his sister watching the lifestyle channel. Bo Young, he thought. He then heard some footsteps coming from the stairs and soon enough he sees his other sister, So Young with a sling bag and all dressed up. She looks like she's in a hurry as she put on her sandals at the foot of the stairs. She peeks in to the living room where Bo Young is. "I'll go ahead, okay? I can't be late." And then peeked in the kitchen. "Mom, I'll be leaving. But I'll be back this afternoon, with Dae-hyun. We'll eat dinner here."

As his sister walked past them, still in a hurry, closing the door behind her, Jinyoung could only scowl. So she is still dating the guy. "When will they ever break up?"

His sister, So Young has been in a relationship with Dae-hyun for a year and a half now. They met in college, and even after they graduated, still stayed together despite of the obviosu fact that Dae-hyun is a cheating punk. He loves his sister, but So Young could really be oblivious sometimes. It hurts him so much, seeing how in love his sister is with the cheater.If only he could expose him in any way.

"I didn't know you could be this bitter."

Jinyoung would retaliate but decided against it. "You know, hearing that from a soulless person like you is surprisingly not offending."

He saw how Mark's eyes widened, shocked by what he heard, but Jinyoung isn't paying any mind. "Soulless? You're saying-"

"Now, let's just not argue over something which is undoubtedly true, alright?." He ignored how Mark's mouth fell open, and just walked straight to the kitchen where he expects to see his mom. "Mom? Mom, I'm home!"

"I told you, she can't hear you." Mark, who followed him, said.

"I know. I'm just pretending like she can, and that I'm still very much alive and not dead." He turned to Mark while smiling innocently. "Is that so wrong?"

Mark's deadpan expression, turned into a soft one while staring at him. It's enough to tell Jinyoung that the red haired isn't that soulless. Sometimes, he could see past those expressionless eyes. Just like now. "Well, it's not." Mark said in a softer voice.

Jinyoung just turned to look at his mom who is wearing an apron, reading a recipe book while the counter was filled with flour. His mom is trying to bake again. Baking isn't his mom's forte. It is actually his. Whenever he visits home, he bakes with his mom, trying to teach her how. But judging his mom's crumpled face, it seems like his mom hasn't learned anything from him. With this, Jinyoung could only shake his head. 

He walked closer to where his mom is standing, holding an egg on one hand, and the whisk on the other. Her brows were furrowed, staring at whatever is written on the recipe book she is currently reading. 

"Your mom bakes?" Mark asked, while also watching his mom.

"Tries to, but not really." He answered.

They just stood there, watching his mom as she read each instruction and tries to follow. Jinyoung feels the urge to take over, if only he could, just so he could prevent his mom from creating more mess than she already have. 

"Just half a cup, mom." Jinyoung said with a sigh as she watched his mom pouring milk on a whole cup and into the mixing bowl. Of course, his mom won't hear him. Mark already made it clear. He could only roll his eyes heavenwards as he sees his mom make more mistakes in measuring. It's frustrating him but all the more, he only wants to hug his mom for being so cute while being clueless. 

 

"So you bake." Mark asked as they both walked upstairs leading to his room. 

After a series of sigh, Jinyoung decided to leave his mom and tugged on the red haired to go with him to his room. He just want to see how his room is, and also let Mark see it for himself. 

With a nod, he answered. "Yes, I do. It's something which I love to do for my mom, dad and sisters. They like it whenever I bake. But blueberry muffins is their favorite."

"Oh. That's why your mom is trying to bake those downstairs." 

Jinyoung just nodded. "How about you? What do you like to do with your family?"

"Not much." Mark answered, turning to the door in front of them. "Is this your room?"

He nodded again before opening it, so they can both walk inside. Jinyoung sees his bed neatly done, his pillows fluffed and his bedsheet smoothly laid. He also saw his books, arranged in his mini bookshelf on top of his bed's headboard; his pens and other stuffs arranged on top of his study table. Everything  is clean and organized, as how he left it months ago. 

"They even took care of you, Bob." Jinyoung said as he walked to his window, where a small potted plant is, receiving all the sunlight passing through the glass. 

"Bob?"

He smiled at Mark as he touched the plant's small leaves. "Jackson gave it to me, about half a year ago, I think? It's his plant actually, but he said Coco is a threat to Bob's life so he can't keep it in our dorm. He asked me to take it home, and declared me as his co-parent."

Mark has this confused look on his face as he asked. "Who is Coco?"

"Youngjae's dog." From Mark's frown, he remembers, the guy doesn't know Youngjae yet, or any of his friends in general. "Right. You don't know them yet."

He then walked towards his study table, where a picture frame is. It's a picture taken when him and his friends first moved into their dorm. They are all wearing pajamas, with their goofy faces, and Jackson twerking at the side of the couch. They looked silly, but very much happy together. They look like premature goofballs but, this picture is his most favorite picture of all. It shows how happy they are and how carefree they could be. It's a picture which says that we don't care if we look stupid, as long as we're happy.

"Let me introduce you to these dorks... my dorks." He started with Jackson. "This is Jackson, and as you can see in this picture, he is far from being normal." He saw Mark nodding, a sign that he agrees. Well, who would dare disagree with that? "He is my best friend since he is the first one I've met when we were kids. He is the loudest of all, which is why it was impossible for me to ignore him although I really wanted to. He managed to annoy me until I agreed on being friends."

"Sounds like the bestest friend." Mark said, with a snicker.

"Now this pink haired dude, is not a bamboo stick, neither a chopstick. He just has thin limbs and incredibly long legs. This is Bambam, born and raised in Thailand but after staying here in Korea for more than ten years of his life, he barely recalls anything from his homeland." 

Next, he pointed to another giant man-child. "This coconut head guy, is Yugyeom, Bambam's best friend. They can be both annoying since they love dancing in late hours at night, blaring up their speakers and with that disco ball of theirs. It can be really annoying, but still, they add fun to our group. These two never runs out of energy, and memes."

He pointed to the next guy, who Jinyoung is tackling with his arm. "This would be Youngjae, Coco's mom." He laughed. "This guy has an amazing voice, and did I mention that he'll be taking the lead role in our school's winter play?" He said, smiling sadly. "It's unfortunate that I won't be around by then to support him. I even planned on making a banner for him."

He saw how Mark's eyes changed, looking at him through those equally sad eyes also. "I'm sure he knows that you support him. Maybe not physically but... in other ways, you'll always do."

Jinyoung smiled back. Now this is the kind of Mark which he likes to talk to. "Moving on, this is Im Jaebum. Our hyung, but he doesn't feel like it because we tend to keep on provoking him and well, we enjoy teasing him. But nevertheless, he is still a good hyung and we always have his back no matter what happens. He keeps the group together, keeping us in tact."

Jinyoung just stared at the picture lovingly, reminiscing all the happy times they shared together. Those beautiful times, if only he could bring all those back. Now, why did he have to die a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter