2: Beginners' Class

One Minute More

 

Previously: 

I must have been deep in thought because I didn’t notice Baekhyun coming my way. I jumped a little as we met halfway in the small space between Jaera’s big room and the kitchen. 

“God, you scared me.” 

“Am I that scary?” Baekhyun chuckled and put one hand on the wall next to me to stop me from moving past by him. “Anyway, I was looking for you.” 

I tilted my head to the side. 

“And what for?” 

“I need some fresh air. Would you come down with me to the playground?” 

This is where we continue. 

 

 

The playground down in front of our apartment complex was empty and quiet, as expected, considering it was ten past two in the morning. 

Baekhyun went straight for the swing set - he plopped down into one of the swings as if he’s been drained all of his energy. I stood next to his limp body knowingly: Baekhyun was obviously past his drinking limit. 

“Feeling better?” 

“Yeah.” He murmured then lifted his head to flash puppy eyes at me. “Push me?” 

“You’re going to throw up.” 

“I won’t. Please~” 

I sighed but complied nonetheless. Baekhyun was the type to stubbornly whine until he gets what he wants. He’s really not one to give up on something just like that. 

I stepped behind him and grabbing the chains, started to slowly get him into motion. Baekhyun made a little “wee~” sound at the beginning, like a child. It made me chuckle. He really is like a child sometimes and, even though he’s older than me by two years, he reminds me a lot of my younger brother. 

While I swung Baekhyun back and forth, I wondered what my brother could be doing. Considering the time, he’s probably doing some quest and yelling at others in the guild for being lame... How long has it been since I saw him? Two years? 

“Bina, stop.” 

At Baekhyun’s panicked voice, I snapped out of my bitter thoughts. Baekhyun became even paler than before. 

“I’ve told you.” I reached into the pocket of my coat. “Do you need a bag?” 

“No, it’s fine. My stomach’s a little upset but I’m great.” He mumbled and stood up. He didn’t wobble which was a good sign. Baekhyun flashed a smile at me, brighter than the moon on the sky. “Let’s switch.” 

I sent him a doubtful look but as he continued looking at me expectantly, I eventually took a seat in the swing. Baekhyun pushed the swing so hard for the first time, I thought I’m going to fall. 

“Hey, are you trying to kill me?!” 

Baekhyun laughed and did it gentler next time. 

“You’re such a scaredy-cat. Don’t you trust me?” 

“Not always.” I answered honestly. 

“Wow, thank you. Good to know.” 

I bit my lip. I didn’t mean it that way but at the same time, there was a little truth in it. Baekhyun can be so mischievous, I just can’t let my guard completely down around him. 

For a minute or two, the sound of the swing going back and forth was the only sound to be heard. It was very unusual to be with Baekhyun and not hear him say a thing. I was about to speak up to ask if something’s wrong but Baekhyun was quicker: 

“Do you think Jaera trusts me?” 

I was happy he said that while I was facing away from him because this way, he couldn’t see the uncomfortable face I made. I so didn’t want this conversation to go down. Or more like, I didn’t want to be part of it. 

“I don’t know. You should ask her.” 

“I will but first, I have to be sure.” 

I was itching to ask “sure about what”, but I clamped my mouth shut to prevent myself from doing so. I was so curious but I knew it’s better to not know anything if I wanted to avoid being included. 

Too bad, Baekhyun left me with very few choices. 

He stopped pushing me and instead, sat to the seat next to me. When our eyes met, he seemed a lot soberer. But was he? 

“Is Jaera seeing anyone?” 

“I... Why do you ask me these questions? It’s about her private life.” 

“Oh come on, Bina. Don’t act like these things are taboo just because I’m Jaera’s ex.” 

I casted my eyes on the ground. I wished Baekhyun didn’t remind me of that. Their breakup happened long ago for everyone to just turn a page over it and thankfully, their relationship ended on a more or less positive note, so I’ve heard. (Me and Jaera weren’t housemates at the time.) I didn’t understand why Baekhyun needs to bring that up now, unless... 

“It’s not because of that. But I don’t know if I’m allowed to answer these questions. And I don’t want to give her out.” I looked at Baekhyun, hoping he understands what I’m clumsily getting at. “You might be thinking I’m being silly right now but this is just how I am. Sorry.” 

Baekhyun kept eye-contact for a while, his gaze open and searching, then slowly nodded. I should have felt pure relief but I felt a bit of guilt too. I’m Jaera’s friend, yes, but I’m Baekhyun’s friend too. Being in the middle . 

“It’s okay, don’t be sorry. I expected you to react this way, yet asked away anyway...” 

“I know this’ll sound weird, considering I just shut you off, but if you want to talk about it to me, you can. I won’t tell Jaera. My loyalty goes both ways.” 

I convinced myself it’s more that I’m worried about Baekhyun, rather than I’m just super curious and want the truth. 

Baekhyun smiled, surprised. 

“You just want to help everyone, don’t you?” 

“I’ll try my best. And you’re my friend.” 

“I feel honored and same.” The gratitude in his voice made me feel a little better. Baekhyun looked up to the cloudless night sky as he spoke. “When me and Jaera broke up, it was final. We didn’t... but it felt like the last time we’re ever together like that, you know what I mean? And, it was fine. Until recently. I don’t know why and why now, but I think I’m missing her?” 

His last sentence came out as a question, rather than a statement – it gave me the impression that he’s not sure about this. And it made think, why trying to get back together then? Is it worth for them to date again, just because Baekhyun thinks he misses Jaera? Not to mention how Jaera feels. Love is a two-way street, always. 

“I wanted to ask you first because if she has someone, I don’t want to mess with that. It just wouldn’t be fair.” Baekhyun continued while I was processing. “I want to know why I feel like this and... And for that to figure out, I think I must talk to Jaera. What do you think?”

I smiled at him amused. I got the feeling that there’s more to the story but I didn’t find it right to ask further. I just appreciated he turned to someone before making a decision. Baby steps. 

“I think that, in my opinion, if you really miss her, then you should talk to her. Whether she’s dating someone or not. You just have to be considerate and not run her over, if you know what I mean.” 

Baekhyun laughed out at my choice of wording. Probably because he acknowledged too that acting on impulse is in his blood. 

“Good advice.” 

“Thank you.” 

“I didn’t know you’re such a good listener, Bina.” Baekhyun said and placed a light hand on my shoulder. “Sign-ups are open for the position of being my security blanket, just saying.” 

It was my turn to laugh. Baekhyun is hilarious and not just that, he can laugh at himself. I admire him so much for the latter. 

“I need some time to think.” 

“You don’t have to hurry. You’re the only one I’ve asked.” He joked before turning a little serious about it. “And you’re the only one to know about this too, okay?” 

I nodded automatically. 

“Hey, Kim Sabina, stop flirting, you’ll catch a cold! 

Baekhyun and I reflexively turned up to the source of the yell. Chanyeol was standing in front of the open window of our apartment. 

“What about me?” Baekhyun yelled back. 

I gently nudged him to keep quiet. I didn’t want to be welcomed by a neighbor’s complaint later the day. It was bad enough Chanyeol’s deep voice boomed through the large, open area. 

“You better catch a cold or something!” Chanyeol responded before Jaera swooped in and yanked him back, closing the window afterwards. 

“Just how much he drank? He won’t be able to go home like this and the spare bed is already occupied.” I told Baekhyun as we simultaneously started to walk back to the staircase. 

Baekhyun smirked. 

“I think he can make it. You don’t have to worry.” 

 

* * * 

 

“Oh , I’m going to be late!” 

My unconscious exclamation caused a passerby’s eyes double as I ran past them and the corner. 

I paid the Chinese Institute a visit a few days ago and now I was about to have my very first lesson. Thankfully the beginners’ class started a bit earlier than the other levels so I could fit it in-between my classes just fine. 

The problem is, I am late for my first class. 

For my luck, the tram was still there when I reached the stop. I plopped down onto one of the free seats wheezing... only to stand up five seconds later and give my seat to a grandma with five shopping bags. I went to the standing area and leaned on the window, exhausted. 

I hate to be late, yet I am, most of the time. I’m a living paradox. 

While the tram slowly made its way out from the square, I wondered what I did with my time. I had to go the library, I had to do research for my assignment after all. And I had to have lunch with Chanyeol because his classmate cancelled on him last second and I needed to eat anyway... Maybe I shouldn’t have dropped by the coffeeshop? Or I shouldn’t have chatted with Minseok. But we ran into each other after quite a while, we had a lot to catch up on! 

As I got off, I concluded that I must improve on my time management. And then started my second race, this time towards the building the Chinese Institute resided in. 

The receptionist lifted her head when I arrived. She quickly realized why I’m in such a haste and before I could get a word out, she showed me the classroom. 

I tried to even my breath and knocked. 

A pleasant male voice replied, in Chinese. 

I stepped in warily. On the ad it said that the language of the course is Korean, but maybe they do it so we can get used to the new language faster? 

A group of ten students eyed me with interest after I entered. I paid no mind to them, instead turned towards the projection screen, where the tutor stood. 

He smiled at me warmly and said something in Chinese again. 

I didn’t understand a thing for the second time either but what confused me the most, was that during my registration they told me my teacher will be a female tutor named Teacher Song. And didn’t more people sign up? I remember seeing more names on the list. What happened? 

It must have shown that I’m dumbfounded because the tutor made a surprised “Oh!” sound and switched to Korean. 

“You seem to be new. How can we help you?” 

He had an accent but he spoke clearly. 

“Good afternoon. I came for the Beginners’ Class.” 

One of the students snickered. I had a feeling now what was going on. 

“Oh, this is the Intermediate Class. The beginners are on the opposite side.” The tutor explained before pointing at the students. “I’ll be back in a second. Behave, okay?” 

One of the boys said something in Chinese that made the rest as well as the tutor grin. I wondered what they said. It was really frustrating I didn’t understand them. 

The tutor ushered me out of the classroom. The receptionist perked up when she noticed us and put up a radiant smile. Somebody wanted impress, I guess. 

“Is something wrong, Teacher Zhang?” 

“It’s okay, Rina. I can handle this, thank you.” The tutor, namely Teacher Zhang, replied before turning to me. “Come with me.” 

We walked on the corridor in silence. I tried not looking at Teacher Zhang because it was awkward enough, not to mention, he was handsome. I didn’t know his age but during that brief second, we maintained eye contact; he looked older to me, nonetheless. And he was a teacher. It was inappropriate of me, to find him good-looking but he was. Facts are facts. 

We paused in front of a similar door. Dr. Zhang knocked and upon a feminine call, we stepped in. 

“Hello students. Sorry to disturb you, Qian, but your student got lost.” 

The woman, rightfully assumed to be my actual tutor Teacher Song, grabbed a paper from the table next to her. She ran her cat-like eyes through the list of applicants. 

“Kim Sabina?” 

“Yes, it’s me.” I answered. 

“Thank you, Yixing. I’ll take it from here.” Qian told the man. 

I bowed to my savior respectfully. 

“Thank you, Teacher Zhang.” 

He nodded with a small smile and left. 

I turned to my actual tutor embarrassed. I was given the wrong instructions but it was my fault I was late in the first place. 

“Since it’s the first lesson, I excuse your late arrival.” She said. “Just be on time next time, okay?” 

“Yes. Thank you, teacher.” I truly appreciated her kindness. 

Qian smiled. 

“I’m Teacher Song. Welcome, Miss Kim. We already did the introductions but we’ll repeat it for you at the end of the class. Is that okay?” 

“Yes, of course.” 

“Make yourself comfortable then and we jump into the first lesson.” 

Just as I remembered, this class was a lot bigger than the Intermediate. There were only two seats empty – one in the front and one a little further in the back. The one in front was in the middle so I decided on the one in the back to not make too many people stand up for me to sit down. 

Teacher Song was writing the first few words on the board while I took my place. I didn’t want to be rude to the people sitting around me but the boy on my right seemed too immersed in his phone to notice my presence. On the other hand, the girl on my left seemed approachable so I said hi to her. 

“I’m Bina.” 

“I’m Yooyeon. Nice to meet you.” She welcomed me in a high but sweet voice. She wore a white sweater and a floral headband in her long, black hair. She seemed pretty in a delicate way but what caught my attention the most, was the pink lotus pendant hanging around her neck. 

We couldn’t talk more during the lesson because Teacher Song made sure everyone present is paying attention. I scribbled down the new words in my notebook swiftly. 

I expected my first lesson to be hard, it’s a whole new language after all, but not this hard: I felt lost many times during the hour and fell behind a few times too. It’s a relief I had such a kind, supportive seatmate – Yooyeon helped me out every time she noticed I’m struggling. 

That’s why I invited her for cake after the lesson ended. Sadly, both of us had classes not much later but we exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch. 

“It’s quite a new place but I’ve been there a few times with Jaera and I can assure you they serve the best lava cake in the city... Jaera is my housemate and a really nice friend.” I explained as we walked. “Um, do you like cake? I didn’t even ask.” 

“I do.” Yooyeon assured me with a chuckle and adjusted her headband with her free hand. She was carrying a large notepad in the other: she was an Art student, a second-year just like me. “My favorites are charlotte and créme brulée.” 

I gasped. It seemed like she knows more about cakes than how much she’s letting me know. 

“Are you a chef perhaps? You sound like you know the recipes too.” 

Yooyeon shook her head. 

“I’m not a chef but I like baking.” 

“Now I have second thoughts about showing you my favorite cake place. What if you won’t like it?” 

“I’ve just told you I’m not a professional. What do you mean?” Yooyeon chuckled. “I can assure you I’m very easy to impress when it comes to sweets... Look, it’s Teacher Zhang!” 

Teacher Zhang seemed to be in a similar hurry I was in before class. Unlike me, he didn’t look like he’s about to die – he went by on the other side of the road with quick steps but no effort, and when he noticed us looking, he friendly waved at us. 

Yooyeon waved back. I was too stunned to move an inch. 

“Isn’t he dreamy?” My new-found friend sighed, her cheeks reddening. 

“I have no doubt his class is motivated.” I mumbled as an answer. 

“Everybody calls him Teacher out of respect but he’s not much older than us. He’s twenty-five and is in a master program in Music. He just helps out in the Institute because he’s originally Chinese.” My silence must have been alarming because Yooyeon looked at me in panic. “I’m not a stalker! This information is available on their homepage.” 

I had to laugh at her innocence. 

“I didn’t assume you to be one, relax... although, I doubt all this information is from the Institute’s homepage.” 

Yooyeon smiled, her eyes admitting defeat. 

“I’ve talked to him before. It turns out, we’re both from Changsha, so... I inherited more from my father’s side, that’s why it doesn’t show too much, but I’m half-Chinese, half-Korean.” 

It explained a lot: the lotus pendant in her neck, the comfort and calm she showed during the lesson. Wait a minute. 

“Why are you getting Chinese lessons then?” I noticed the raw in my voice so I retreated in a second. “There’s nothing wrong with it, I just find it interesting.” 

“I was born in China but raised entirely in Korea.” Yooyeon explained patiently. “My father never taught me Chinese. But I want to learn. It’s part of who I am after all.” 

I smiled at her in sympathy. I couldn’t imagine how the longing she must have feels but I related to her strong will. 

“That’s great. I think it’s really in your blood. You understood everything so quickly today.” 

“Thanks, but I cheated a little. I learnt some on my own before applying to the course... What about you? Why Chinese?” 

I hummed as we reached the corner our ways parted at. 

“Learning languages is my strong suit. And I think Chinese is a beautiful language – I don’t know. I was just attracted to the opportunity at a glance.” 

Yooyeon nodded with a cute smile and said goodbye. 

“I’ll call you later, then. Have a good week, Bina.” 

“Yes, let’s contact each other sometime. Have a good week you too!” 

I watched Yooyeon walking towards the closest bus stop before turning around and making my way towards the building of the English Department. I had one more class before I wrapped up for the day. I could not wait to go home and take a long bath. The long day of classes was wearing me down. 

I just reached the front door when my phone beeped twice in a row. I bowed to the porter and after getting inside, paused on the corridor so I can check my messages. 

One came from Chanyeol and one from Jaera. I checked them out in the order they arrived. 

 

Chanyeol: “Hi. What are you doing? How was your first class? You probably nailed it. You’re good at this stuff... Remember the demo I told you about? I got stuck. Could you come over and help me out? ._.” 

 

I had to chuckle. Typical Chanyeol: requires assistance to the smallest things, even if he can probably handle them alone. Regardless, I replied with: 

 

Me: “It didn’t start out the best but I think it’s going to be good. I’ll tell you about it when I come over. Tomorrow? I don’t return home until eight.” 

 

It didn’t take Chanyeol more than five seconds to answer. 

 

Chanyeol: “Tomorrow is good, after three. Call me when you’re here. You have classes this late? They really want us to die before we graduate, huh.” 

Me: “Or at least suffer so we can appreciate our achievements. Goodnight, Chanyeol.” 

 

He took his time reacting to this message. He might have closed the app. I shrugged and opened my conversation with Jaera. When I read it all, I couldn’t help but sigh. 

 

Jaera: “Hi. Do you have Chinese language course or Chinese cooking today? I think it got lost in translation lol... Anyway, come home quick. We’re ordering pizza today and the stupid shop doesn’t do takeout after nine. I swear they live in another planet. Do they not know people crave pizza at night?? ANYWAY do you know something about Baekhyun? He said he wants to talk to me about something and he kind of freaks me out.” 

 

I pocketed my phone and went to search for a free seat in the auditorium. I could have just answered right away, with something like “I’ll be home before nine, don’t worry; Baekhyun? I don’t know about that” but I couldn’t. For some reason, I suddenly felt like it’s not fair to hold back such an information from Jaera. But wouldn’t I betray Baekhyun if I told her? Especially since I made a promise. 

Not knowing what to do, I took notes and concentrated on the boring topic the lecturer was trying to get across for the next hour or so. But I knew postponing only gives me little time to think. 

 


l'm sorry I disappeared for a while, I've had changes at my workplace and I was too drained to write ;-; But finally I brought you Chapter 2! What do you think? Are you excited? I sure am \o/

Especially since we arrived to the first decision-making poll! (See down below) From time to time, I'll include these at the end of the current chapter, to give you an opportunity to share your opinion. I have a scenario in mind for both choices, regardless I ask you to choose wisely as your choice has an impact on the story ;)  Edit: Poll closed on 2019/03/28. Read the next chapter to find out the results! o/

Thank you if you vote <3
Please subscribe if you want to stay updated on the story & comment!
(I really enourage the latter, it scares me to not have any feedback...)

See you soon!

xoxo: haran
(@haran94)