1: The Wrong Idea

One Minute More

 

“Why do I feel like it’s just another chance for you to show off your language skills against me?” 

Chanyeol and I were standing in front of the bulletin board in the building of the Language department when he asked that. I turned my eyes away from the ad I was reading to look at him disdainfully. 

“That’s rich coming from you, don’t you think, Mr. I Can Play Instruments and You Don’t?” 

Chanyeol fastened the belt of his guitar case on his shoulder with a wide grin. 

“That’s different. You could be playing instruments because you have talent, just not time. On the other hand, I’m happy I can express myself in Korean.” He weakly gestured towards the bulletin once more with his free hand, before saying. “Do you really need Chinese lessons?” 

I nodded without hesitation. 

“I’ve always found Chinese interesting.” 

“Yeah, so I’ve heard.” 

“I meant the language, obviously.” I hissed then proceeded to hit at his arm lightly. He blocked it with ease and a low chuckle. “Uh, you really can’t go a day without bringing my freshman fling up. Nobody remembers it anymore, just you, I swear!” 

“I have perfect memory, that’s why. And because it was hilarious!” Chanyeol retorted before going into another laughing fit. “When- oh God, when he- What was his name?” 

“I won’t tell you.” I said coldly and after successfully ripping the ad from the board, started to make my way out of the building. “The bus is almost here.” 

“Hey, Bina, don’t be like that. It was funny, you have to admit it.” 

I didn’t look back but heard Chanyeol taking the steps down after me. I inwardly screeched. I just really hate it when anybody, not just Chanyeol, brings up that one time I kind of dated a Chinese exchange student. It was sweet but it ended horribly awkward and quick and now just at the mention of it I have goosebumps, in the wrong way. But for some reason, Chanyeol loves talking about it, or more like, making fun of it. 

It’s unfair because I have nothing against him. He’s dating around but his love life is no laughing material. He has one sad story though, which I thankfully don’t, but we don’t talk about that. I just wish my Chinese fling was no talk territory too! 

I stepped a few meters away from the bus stop so he can catch up to me. He didn’t take long, considering his towering 184 cm height is paired with exceptionally long legs. 

“I remembered his name but in solidarity I’ll stop talking about him.” Chanyeol announced once he arrived next to me. He brushed a few strands of unruly curls out of her eyes to put on his beanie. The late autumn wind was strong, I wish I brought my hat too. “So, you’re going to get Chinese lessons, then.” 

“Yep. Hopefully they have a class at a time my schedule is empty.” I answered after checking the time on my phone. The bus was late. “Speaking of language studies, how did your English test go? You haven’t talked about it.” 

The eerie silence I got from the usually perky Chanyeol, made me look up to him in wonder. Chanyeol was looking straight ahead, showing off his side profile. His prominent Adam’s apple bobbed before he spoke. 

“Well, I don’t know the result yet.” 

“Whoa, Professor Lee must be busy then. He’s normally super quick with grading.” I responded before cracking a smile and jamming his side lightly with my elbow. “You weren’t too nervous, were you? We went over every topic and you seemed to be prepared. I’m sure you’ll get a good grade!” 

Initially Chanyeol opposed to be given light lessons by me but as a responsible friend with an English Language & Literature major, I found it almost necessary. Considering, Chanyeol is struggling a little with the language. He can make a small talk and his pronunciation is okay but he has problems with grammar and memorization. I had to coax him a little but eventually he agreed. And he’s showed so much improvement under so little time! I was positive he’s going to nail his last test and the last time I saw him before his exam, he was confident about the matter as well. 

This time he seemed insecure which I didn’t understand. I wondered if the professor pulled a trick on them and prepared something, they haven’t learnt yet... or just Chanyeol wasn’t in the best condition when he took the test. He’s super busy too, not just me. It’d be understandable if he couldn’t concentrate fully because of other commitments. 

Chanyeol smiled a little hearing my encouragement. It wasn’t the usual happy smile I loved seeing from him but the edges of his mouth quirked up, it was a good sign. 

“Thanks, Bina. I just hope you know that if I ace it, you can’t take full credit for it.” 

I pretended to be baffled for the effect of it. 

“What do you mean? Without my guidance you would be nowhere as good as you are right now!” 

“That’s just what you say. Your guidance was needed but it’ll be my hard work that makes it happen.” 

“Oh really, well, your hard work wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t there. So, if you don’t give me full credit, I’ll take this to court. Now, where is my lawyer’s number?” 

Chanyeol laughed, throwing his head back while doing so. Then, when he noticed I actually pulled out my phone to look for someone’s number, tried to stop me with dialing. I was used to his big reactions, being his friend for a while now, but I saw a few passersby looking in our direction with surprise. 

“Who are you calling? Jongdae? He won’t save you.” 

“He would because he owns me big time. But you’re right, I shouldn’t waste this chance card over a trivial matter like this. I rest my case.” I concluded with a laugh before looking on the road. “Just when is this bus coming? I have a dinner to be at.” 

Chanyeol, after wiping tears of happiness from his eyes with his thumbs, perked up at the mention of dinner. 

“Is Jaera cooking?” 

“Yes.” I noticed the heart eyes he made so I thought it’d be rude of me not to ask. “Do you want to come? Jaera makes soft tofu stew.” 

“If you don’t mind.” 

“Now, that’s a first. Park Chanyeol actually asking for my permission before entering my home.” I couldn’t mask my awe. It was just unusual of him to be so considerate... Don’t get me wrong, he’s not rude or anything, but when it comes to invitations for free food, Chanyeol just goes, without being invited or not. 

“You act like I was a leech or something.” Chanyeol pulled up his nose in distaste, looking away from me. “I can’t help it that you have a roommate who can cook.” 

“You can come, of course. Why would I prevent you from it?” I said and when he still didn’t look in my direction, I pulled on the sleeve of his coat playfully. “Oppa.” 

I knew he hates it when I call him like that, that’s why I said it. I expected him to pay attention hearing that. What I not expected was one old man turning to us a few steps away with a warm smile. 

“Don’t be mad at your girlfriend, young man. She seems to love you a lot.” 

I found the old man’s words warm and harmless but at the same time, weird somehow. I bowed in respect then said: 

“Thank you, sir. We’ll take care of it.” 

Once the old man returned to his newspaper with a knowing smile, I felt Chanyeol’s fingers lightly unclasping mine from the sleeve of his coat. 

“You really know what to say, don’t you?” He whispered so only I can hear. 

“What should I have said? Deny it? He seemed to say it with good intentions.” I murmured back, letting him hold my hand for a brief second. 

“No. You did the right thing. As always.” He let go of my hand finally and put his in his pockets. “I’d rather walk than taking the bus. I don’t think I can wait around any longer. Are you up for a walk?” 

“Sure thing. I need some exercise anyway.” 

 

* * * 

 

 

“She was late. It’s what she deserves” I heard Jaera say in the room as I put another piece of now clean plate to the dish rack. 

“The bus was late” I heard Chanyeol respond for the umpteenth time, his plead falling on deaf ears. 

“You just be happy you’re spared, intruder” Jaera answered. 

I had to chuckle at that and I was so distracted, I would have dropped a plate if someone didn’t grab it sooner than that could happen. 

“Need a helping hand?” Kyungsoo offered. 

“Thanks, but I can manage.” 

“I know you can but you’re taking long and we need one more person to be even.” 

He referred to the team poker we were about to play. I nodded and let him dry off the kitchenware. 

“They’re unfair. Chanyeol was just as late as you and he’s sitting inside, entertaining Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo broke the silence after a while. 

I shrugged while swiping a plate clean. 

“I lost to him in rock-paper-scissors.” 

“Yeah but I mean, he should be here cleaning with you. Team punishment or no punishment.” Kyungsoo grinned and said. “I heard you want to take on Chinese.” 

I froze for a second. 

“News spread fast, I only told Chanyeol...” 

“Is it a secret?” 

“It’s not. Just, I’m not sure I can get in. I haven’t asked the Chinese Institute yet.” I explained. 

“I just want you to know that if you do, you have my support. Whatever those airheads inside say, being ambitious is a good thing.” Kyungsoo elaborated. I knew he will understand. “Chanyeol talked about it like you were about to grow another head, it was hilarious, but also, strange.” 

I glanced at Kyungsoo from the corner of my eye. I thought it means something that he noticed a change in Chanyeol’s behavior as well. A supposed change, at least. I wasn’t sure but I was suspicious. 

“What do you mean by strange?” 

“What do you think I mean by it?” Kyungsoo asked back, his mellow tone turning a little teasing on the way. “You know Chanyeol better than me, Bina.” 

“That’s an understatement.” 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol have known each other since elementary school. I only met Chanyeol last year, sometime in the spring, and we don’t even have any classes together like he and Kyungsoo has, being both Music majors. Kyungsoo’s sudden claim had me taken aback. 

Kyungsoo blinked above his black-rimmed glasses. 

“Let’s just say our ways of knowing him is different.” 

I didn’t know what he meant by that and it bothered me. He’s always been more reserved, almost mysterious, and it always annoyed me a little. 

“Was that finally the last plate or do we need one more person to go out and help you, Bina?” Jaera called from her room. 

“We’re going!” I exclaimed and after drying my hands, gave the washcloth to Kyungsoo. “What are the teams? If you left me with Chanyeol, I’m making a ruckus.” 

I didn’t see his face as he was coming right after me and I had no time to check back but if I would have looked, I probably saw him grinning from ear to ear because upon entering Jaera’s giant bedroom functioning as our living room as well, only Chanyeol were unpaired as Kyungsoo plopped down next to Haeri, Jaera’s classmate at instant. 

I stopped in the doorway. 

“I wish there were more dishes to wash.” 

“Come on, Bina, the game’s about to begin!” Baekhyun hollered, clearly a bit high on the soju its bottle was standing next to him. “If you and Chanyeol win, you take thrice the price.” 

Jaera sent a knowing look to Baekhyun. It looked like that was a rule only Baekhyun agreed on. My pink-haired roommate turned to me with a wink: 

“How about if you two win once, I’ll make you something with mushrooms tomorrow?” 

At the mention of my favorite vegetable ever, holy mushrooms, I felt my mouth salivating. Damn, knew Jaera how to get me. 

“Will Kim Sabina resist or give in to the proposal of Shim Jaera? One thing for sure, the spectating crowd is getting impatient.” Baekhyun narrated as per no one’s request. No wonder he was a Communications major, he never knew when to shut up. 

“I’ll do it but not because of your mushrooms.” I said finally and took place next to Chanyeol. The hardwood floor wasn’t too hard under us, as me and Jaera scattered our spare pillows on the ground. 

“For the record, I was just as against at them pairing us up as you are.” Chanyeol told me quietly as Kyungsoo shuffled the cards. I felt soju on his breath and he’s already had his hoodie shed, revealing a baggy t-shirt underneath. He didn’t seem drunk and I hoped he stays that way. “What’s so great about mushrooms?” 

“I just really like them. Nothing special.” I answered quickly and tucked some hair that escaped my loose bun behind my ear. “Whatever happens -” 

“We’re gonna win, that’s what’s gonna happen!” Chanyeol’s competitive side surfaced at a glance. “Byun Baekhyun, hope you put on your underwear today ‘cause otherwise we’re  gonna see things we don’t wanna.” 

“Wait, we’re playing strip poker?” Haeri exclaimed, her eyes widening to the size of saucers. 

I looked at Chanyeol in panic. I only got a wink in response, how calming. 

“We didn’t agree on that and I won’t let it.” Kyungsoo responded authoritatively. He wasn’t the oldest among us but he was definitely the most sober and sane. 

“Why, ‘Soo, are you afraid you question your uality seeing my -” 

“Byun Baekhyun, you better not finish that sentence.” 

“We’re not playing strip poker. Last time we did, it didn’t end well.” Jaera calmed down everyone and poked Chanyeol’s feet with her tights-clad one. “Right, pirate?” 

The comment made Baekhyun choke on his shot of soju and Kyungsoo to trying hide his laugh in the sweater he was wearing. I, myself, just looked on the ground and tried to disappear. 

“What about him being a pirate? I don’t get it.” Haeri whined, upset that she’s missing out on the joke. 

“I think it’s a story for another time.” I gave my two cents while Chanyeol bombarded Baekhyun with a few pillows lying on the side, Baekhyun dodging all thanks to his good drunk reflexes. 

Kyungsoo nodded and threw one pillow back at Chanyeol. His good aim found Chanyeol right on the head and causing him fall back. 

“Let’s start now.” 

I pulled back Chanyeol into a sitting position with a grin. 

“Come on, team.” 

“If we actually win this, I’ll take Jaera out I swear.” He gritted his teeth. “Baekhyun’s next then Kyungsoo.” 

“Will you make an exception with me?” 

Chanyeol looked at me, his gaze smoldering. I started to doubt his soberness. 

“You’re free ‘cause we’re a team.” 

Intense poker playing followed. It wasn’t the first time we played but I just wasn’t getting better at it. Call me dumb but it’s too complicated for me. So even if Chanyeol is a good player, not the best, but certainly way better than me (or Haeri, it turned out), being it a team challenge he could hardly get by alone. 

“I can barely understand you sometimes, how are you so easy to read during poker?” Chanyeol complained after another unsuccessful round. 

“What do you mean, my heart is on my sleeve, all the time. Poker not a difference.” I answered, not an inch upset. I predicted our fate way before we started to play. We needed a miracle if we considered winning. 

“You just don’t know how to play the game and it shows.” Kyungsoo said matter-of-factly. 

Chanyeol glared at his old-time friend. 

“Care about your own partner, okay? She looks she needs it too.” 

“It’s my first time playing, I don’t know what you expect from me.” Haeri added gloomily before gasping and putting all her cards on the ground with a happy smile. “This looks great, do I win?” 

I couldn’t help but hide behind Chanyeol’s wide shoulders to mask my giggling. It didn’t feel right to laugh at Haeri as it was her first time playing but I just couldn’t contain myself. 

“It’s not bad but you supposed to show me first.” Kyungsoo told his partner grumpily. 

“You’re going to get the hang of it, don’t worry.” Jaera comforted her friend. “And if not, sometimes it’s fun to lose too, right, Bina?” 

Re-appearing from behind Chanyeol, I stuck out my tongue at her. 

Baekhyun put a secure hand around Jaera’s shoulders. 

“You’re really out to get them today, huh? Do you have a special punishment or what?” 

“We’ll see.” 

There was something ambiguous in Jaera’s tone. I didn’t like it. When everyone got busy with their respective partners, I leaned in to Chanyeol’s ear and whispered: 

“No matter what, we need to avoid coming in last place. “ 

“You don’t have a good feeling about it either.” Chanyeol more of said, then asked. He pointed at the cards in my hands before meeting my eyes again. “You’re not doing so bad. Just make sure you’re not letting them know that, okay? We got this, partner.” 

The last bit he said in a comedic way that made me smile. I lifted my hand for a high five and after he accepted it, Chanyeol linked our fingers. My tiny hand almost disappeared in his giant one. 

“I figured out why I can’t do poker.” I blurted out. 

Chanyeol’s eyebrows raised. 

“And why is that?” 

“I have small hands.” 

He laughed and lightly clenched our clasped hands before letting it go. 

“That must be it, sure.” 

It was a tight match, with Baekhyun and Jaera being such a good team, but thanks to either Haeri’s clumsiness of a first timer or Baekhyun’s cockiness with bluffing too many times, Chanyeol and I came in second. 

It was so hard to believe, they needed to explain me why twice as many times as they usually do. 

“Did I have any contribution to this that I don’t know of or did you just carry me through all of it?” I turned to Chanyeol while Kyungsoo and Baekhyun tried to comfort a sobbing Haeri (she really gave it her all and drank as many drinks as the guys and it all came crashing down on her at once) and Jaera went out to the kitchen for something. 

Chanyeol put the cards back into their container with a grin. 

“As much as I would like to say it was my professionalism, it was eventually teamwork. Good job, Bina. If you look up the rules next time before we play, you’ll also know what you did right.” 

I rolled my eyes at his wording but didn’t oppose. Maybe I’m not that bad at this, I thought. I just have to actually prepare a little. 

Jaera returned with some more alcohol, this time with beer so she can mix it for us with soju. Meanwhile the boys started another round, now just with the three of them. 

“Would you like one?” 

“Actually, yes.” I took a glass. I was thirsty. “But let’s not give one to Haeri. She doesn’t seem to be in a good shape.” 

“Yes, I agree.” Jaera shared my observation and after taking a gulp of her mixture, said. “How about we lay her down in your room? She can sleep in here but we should wait until the guys leave. No one could sleep in such a noise.” 

Truth to be told, with Baekhyun and Chanyeol loudly exclaiming at every little thing and Kyungsoo surprisingly getting louder and louder with the more alcohol he consumed, it was getting noisy. 

“Let’s do that.” 

Putting both our drinks down on a bedside table, Jaera grabbed one arm of Haeri’s and I grabbed the other. 

“I’m not drunk, I’m just tired.” 

“Yep, that’s why we’re taking you to sleep, babe.” Jaera told Haeri patiently. “If you don’t feel great you call for us, okay?” 

“Yes, mom.” 

We put her down on my bed gently and while Jaera rearranged Haeri’s limbs so she can sleep peacefully, I fetched her a glass of water from the kitchen and put it on the nightstand. 

“You should have brought an empty one too.” 

“Why?” As I realized what Jaera meant by that, I gasped. “Oh my God.” 

“Just kidding.” She laughed just when Baekhyun yelled for her from the room. “I’ll see what he wants or he won’t leave ever.” 

After Jaera left, I took one last look at Haeri to see how she’s doing – she looked a little flushed but otherwise seemed to be fine. 

“I’ll leave the door ajar. We’ll be in the room next.” I whispered to her finally. 

I would have proceeded to leave but her hold on my wrist prevented me from doing so. If I was in a horror movie, I would have screamed at the sudden contact. 

“Do you need something else, unnie?” I asked her. 

Haeri lifted her head from the pillow. She already looked better. 

“Bina, you and your boyfriend are cute. If you don’t need him anymore, you can pass him down to me.” 

She had quite a slur but regardless I understood clearly what she was trying to say. I blinked away my uneasiness and lightly helped Haeri back into her earlier sleeping position. 

“Sleep well, unnie.” 

I closed the door after myself with a pounding heart. It was the second time in a row someone assumed Chanyeol is my boyfriend, or at least referred to us as a couple. It wasn’t different from the first time but still, it got me thinking. 

I must have been deep in thought because I didn’t notice Baekhyun coming my way. I jumped a little as we met halfway in the small space between Jaera’s big room and the kitchen. 

“God, you scared me.” 

“Am I that scary?” Baekhyun chuckled and put one hand on the wall next to me to stop me from moving past by him. “Anyway, I was looking for you.” 

I tilted my head to the side. 

“And what for?” 

“I need some fresh air. Would you come down with me to the playground?” 

 


That's it for the first chapter. What do you think of this beginning? Please let me know in a comment and subscribe if you'd like to see more. Thank you for reading, see you soon! :)

xoxo: haran
(@haran94)