Seeking You

Love Potion

 

“Professor.” Kyungsoo said in a quiet voice after knocking twice on professor Kim's open door.

“Yeah? What is it?” the professor called, his voice inviting but slightly distracted. Kyungsoo ventured inside his office, expecting to find him with his nose buried in a 500 year old potions book, but instead he was standing in front of the mirror, wearing a pair of way too tight fitting jeans and a chic shirt, fixing his hair. Kyungsoo tried to erase the image from his brain. He didn't want to think about teachers as people with lives, that was way too creepy. He had never really wondered what the professors got up to on the weekends, and he wasn't about to start now.

“I just ehm... I think Jongin should maybe go back to the hospital. I don't think he's well.” Kyungsoo confessed.

“Oh? How so?” the professor asked without breaking eye contact with his mirrored self.

Kyungsoo told him about Jongin practically stalking him, incessantly asking him out.

“Hmm.. well, we did anticipate some minor side effects.” the professor reminded him.

“Minor?” Kyungsoo scoffed. If that was minor, he really didn't want to know what would qualify as major side effects.

“Yeah, I mean... he's just being a slight nuisance, right? He's not attacking you or causing you bodily harm, is he?”.

“Mmm... no.” Kyungsoo said, but it really depended on how one defined bodily harm. If his heart ended up being trampled on in the process, wouldn't that qualify as bodily harm?

“We can't do anything more for him at this time, we've done all the countermeasures there are, so there's really no reason for him to stay in the hospital if he's not a danger to himself or others. It's just going to take a while for him to get better. His body needs time to break free from the potion.” professor Kim explained, putting the finishing touches on his overly fashionable hairdo.

“Come to think of it, maybe you should agree to go on a date with him.” he added as an afterthought.

“What?” Kyungsoo gasped.

“It doesn't have to be a real date. He just needs to think it's a date. If you play into his fantasy, then maybe it will be quicker to break. Magic is no match for love. Believe me, they have tried for centuries to replace love with magic, to fabricate it, to control it, or imitate its effects, without success. It turns out love is still an unsolvable mystery, an unstoppable force. So if he's not in love with you, his true feelings will eventually break the spell and sober him up.”

“Ehhh...”. How awful of a date did the professor think he was. One date with him and anyone would be cured of their crush forever?

“Give it a week or two, I'm positive the effects will slowly dissipate.” professor Kim said and ushered him out of his office. He looked like he was in a hurry to get somewhere.

 

***

 

“Sir! Something has to be done. This troublemaker keeps terrorizing the school with his elaborate pranks.” Chanyeol complained as he dragged Baekhyun into the headmaster's office for the third time this week. Whatever punishment they were giving him was not working.

He stopped in his tracks, his eyes doubling in size. The headmaster was wearing Muggle clothes. Weird. So weird. But even in this odd Muggle costume, he still managed to look magnificent and powerful.

“Again? Ahh... I'm a bit busy...” headmaster Jung sighed. “Wait, aren't you a Ravenclaw? Why are you always the one to bring him in? Where are all the Gryffindor prefects? I'm assuming Gryffindor still has prefects?” he added in a rather sarcastic tone.

“Uhm...” Chanyeol turned red. He was right, that was strange. He had just assumed that this office was Baekhyun's second home and that all the prefects were being pestered by his pranks. “I don't know. It just so happens that I'm often in the vicinity when he's pulling his reckless pranks, endangering the students around him, which is a behavior I cannot ignore and I'm usually the only prefect around, so I'm forced to take matters into my own hands.”.

“Hmm... okay. I'll inform the Gryffindor prefects and have them come up with an appropriate punishment.” professor Jung nodded and glanced at Baekhyun, his face stern. “Baekhyun! You are too talented to be wasting it on such childish pranks. When are you going to grow up and appreciate your gift?”.

Baekhyun just shrugged with an annoying grin on his face.

There was a quick knock on the door and the Potions professor barged in, but came to an abrupt stop when he saw them standing there. He had clearly expected the headmaster to be alone.

“Oh, is this a bad time?” professor Kim asked the headmaster hesitantly.

Chanyeol noticed he was also wearing Muggle clothes. He tried to make sense of this bizarre situation. Maybe they were preparing to go on an undercover mission in the Muggle world. Come to think of it, headmaster Jung had looked very distracted and pressed for time.

 

***

 

Kyungsoo looked both ways before entering the men's bathroom. His heart was racing. He had chosen a remote toilet at the end of a corridor that was normally deserted. He needed some privacy. He checked each and every stall, making sure he was alone in there. He looked himself in the eyes in the mirror, shaking his head at himself as he pulled a bright yellow scarf from under his robe. It had been very carefully hidden. He wouldn't be caught dead wearing another house's paraphernalia. He didn‘t even wear stuff from his own house. Then why was he even considering this?

He tried the scarf on. It was really yellow. He stared at himself in the mirror for a moment, before loosing his nerve and hurriedly removing it and throwing it in the trash. What had he been thinking? No way.

 

With each step the noise grew louder. The stadium was already filled with excited students. There were so many people everywhere. Kyungsoo felt really uncomfortable. There was a reason he never went to games. In addition to failing to see the point of wasting time watching other people wasting their time flying around, senselessly chasing balls, he also detested crowds. He would much rather be studying.

 

He tried not to look at anyone as he passed the Slytherin stands, but he could feel the judgy stares drilling into the back of his head. He held his breath as he reached the Hufflepuff stands. He half expected them to start throwing food at him, but they were strangely inviting. A tiny Hufflepuff girl even waved him over, offering him to sit down next to her and share her fries. Ehm. Not a chance. She looked harmless but he wasn‘t going to let that fool him. It might be a ploy to draw him in, unsuspecting, and poison him. He looked desperately around for an excuse to decline. He was the only green one in a sea of yellow. He felt like a target, you could probably spot him from outer space.

Then he noticed him. A few rows above, Sehun stood and waved to him like a madman. Usually he avoided him like the plague but he figured that wherever Sehun was, Suho wouldn‘t be far off, so they could be green together. Safety in numbers. He scanned the area around Sehun, but there was not a green spec in sight. Strange. Had Suho gotten better, the love potion losing its effects? Ah, it gave him hope. If Suho was getting better, Jongin should be too.

He still headed over to Sehun, the lesser of two evils, wanting to avoid sneak attacks from the Hufflepuffs. Sehun had saved him a seat, greeting him overly enthusiastically. But then he noticed him, Suho was sitting beside Sehun in an explosion of yellow. He wondered if there had been anything left at the merchandise stall when Suho was done with it, he had bought everything they had and more. He was wearing a canary yellow cape with a huge badger on it, yellow scarf, yellow hat, yellow mittens and a huge yellow banner where Jongin swooshed by endlessly on his fancy broom, always slowing down in the middle of the banner, sending them one of his famously handsome winks. Ugh. It annoyed Kyungsoo. And as if the situation wasn't ridiculous enough, Suho was feeding Sehun sugar coated popcorn, both of them obnoxiously happy and smitten.

The loud sound of the referee's whistle made Kyungsoo's ears ring. And they were off, all the players shot up into the air like lightning and skillfully zoomed around the stadium.

“Here we go.” Kyungsoo sighed to himself, hoping the snitch would be caught in the first five minutes to end this torment. Just then, Jongin flew by and waved to him. He could feel everybody's stares on him. The pressure to return the wave felt like a freighter filled with elephants balancing on his shoulders. Jongin turned around to swoop by them again, but now even slower. And he kept waving, with that idiotic grin stuck on his face. Kyungsoo caved and waved back, regretting it the moment his hand had completed two rounds of the most subtle waving ever attempted. Jongin beamed so brightly he lit up the whole stadium and started doing some idiotic daredevil moves on the broom that had nothing to do with the game, instead of concentrating on finding the snitch. The hufflepuffs, and Jongin's fangirls from all the other houses went wild, erupting into squealy cheers. Kyungsoo clenched his teeth, trying not to let the irritation get the best of him, suppressing the urge to cover his ears.

 

Three hours later, Kyungsoo was going insane. Jongin hung around his stand endlessly, looking at him as if he was the golden snitch. Meanwhile, the Hufflepuffs were down 90 points, only having scored 30 points in total, while Slytherin had charged forward like a bulldozer, easily racking up 120 points and were still going strong. If Jongin didn't snap out of it, and soon, Hufflepuff was going to lose regardless of catching the snitch or not.

There was a collective shriek on the other side of the stadium. Slytherin's seeker had just missed the snitch by an inch while Jongin was doing air cartwheels in front of the Hufflepuff stands. The Hufflepuffs, who had been mesmerized by Jongin's antics snapped out of it and sighed in disappointment.

Kyungsoo didn't really care who won, he just wanted this whole thing to be over, the sooner the better. And for that to happen, somebody had to catch the snitch. Slytherin had very strong chasers and excellent beaters but their seeker was crap and everyone knew it. He couldn't catch a snitch even if it flew into his arms, and yet he was doing better than Jongin at the moment.

Kyungsoo gasped. “THERE!!!” he shouted at the top of his lungs. “There it is!”.

He looked for Jongin, all too quickly finding his eyes, looking right into his. “Ugh!! Don't look at me, go get the snitch!!! Over there!!” he pointed fervently, almost exploding from frustration.

“Oh.” Jongin spotted it in an instant, and like a hawk going after prey, he swooped down with impressive precision, as if flying was his second nature, the broom looking like it was part of him. A moment later, Jongin brought him the shiny snitch, which was struggling to get away, flapping its tiny wings.

“Don't give it to me!! Show it to the referee!!” Kyungsoo growled at him, losing his patience.

There was a loud whistle, the game was over. Finally. The crowd around him lost it completely, everyone had stood up and were cheering like crazy. Hufflepuff had won.

Jongin stopped in midair in front of him, and with a smile nearly splitting his face in two, he sent him a giant heart with both his hands touching the top of his head in a heart shaped manner.

“OooooooOOOOooooh!” the crowd oohed loudly. Kyungsoo sank into his seat, trying his best to disappear, his cheeks turning into two furnaces.

Oh well, at least he was free now. He was rid of him, for good hopefully.

 

“Kyungsoo!! Kyungsoo hold up!” a hand tugged on Kyungsoo's shoulder, making him come to an abrupt halt.

It was Jongin.

Surprised, Kyungsoo's stomach did several cartwheels. He hadn't expected to see him. He thought he would be caught up in the celebrations. Usually, Jongin reveled in all the attention.

“So, did anyone give you any trouble during the game?” Jongin asked him concerned, wrinkling his nose.

“Huh? Uh, no... why?” Kyungsoo asked confused, but then he put two and two together. “It was you?” his mouth fell open.

“Pfft, nahh, I didn't do much... I just asked everyone to treat you nicely.” Jongin beamed proudly.

“You didn't... like.. tell them... anything?” Kyungsoo hesitantly asked, desperately hoping he didn't do something stupid like declaring his love for him or something.

“I just told them you were my very special friend and my personal guest.” he sent him a wink.

Kyungsoo let out a long sigh.

“Here.” he a wound up piece of leather into his arms.

“What's this?” he opened it. Inside there was a map. An interactive map with hundreds of moving dots. There was a dot that said 'Do Kyungsoo'. It took a few seconds before he realized what he was holding. The Marauder's map! He had only heard stories. He had always thought it was a myth!

“A deal is a deal. This is how I kept tabs on you. Without it, it's impossible for me to stalk you anymore. I'm sorry. I didn't really mean to stalk you. I just really like you and sometimes I got the feeling you liked me too, so...” Jongin confessed.

“Don't be ridiculous! It's the potion.” he interrupted him.

“So you spilled some on yourself, too?” Jongin asked surprised.

“What? No! I mean you... the potion is clouding your judgment.” he explained.

“I'm pretty sure a love potion only makes you think you are in love with its maker, I don't think it makes you believe others are in love with you...” Jongin rightly pointed out.

Kyungsoo coughed loudly. “Whatever...” he wound the map back up. “Don't forget our deal. No more stalking!” he warned.

“I won't.” Jongin sent him a sweet smile.