THE TWINS

The Other half

One blinks, the other does too. Both with mouths agape and eyes ready to jump out of its socket.

Taeyang can’t comprehend. He never did the moment he woke up or did he really? He can’t seem to decide if he wants to think this is some kind of a dream brought to him by his headache or sorcery by someone who loathes him. Other than the neat look of the other’s uniform, the only thing that’s different from them is their skin color. While Taeyang has a darker complexion, the one he’s facing now has fair skin. He knows he looks funny now but so is his seatmate. Yes, their teacher made them sit together since there’s a vacant seat beside him and it’s the only one left after the other newbies got theirs’ first. He can feel the whole class’ eyes are on them, from the moment he cursed to the other guy walking beside him, where he feels like the world suddenly stops until both of them are seated. They can’t take their eyes off of each other. It’s not everyday you can see yourself across the room, walking up to you and sit beside you at the same dimension. Not to be stupid but Taeyang wonders if kage bunshin technique is real at this point.

Don’t get the child wrong, he knows somewhere in this planet you have someone who looks similar to you but this is his first time encountering someone who looks like him, on top of that, looks EXACTLY like him. Their resemblance is uncanny thus started his chains of thoughts, interrupted only by a cough from their teacher.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your reunion but we need to proceed,” this gets the attention of the whole class.  “I’m handing you your syllabus for this school year and let me remind you that you still have two weeks to decide what clubs you wanted to be in. List of the study partners was already been posted. Make sure to check that out before going home later. I will need the signature of your parents or guardian on your syllabus paper to know they’ve read it clearly. Any questions? None? Dismiss.” And with that, the students rush out for their break as the bell rings.

Even with the commotion, Taeyang’s attention went back to his seatmate who seem nervous of from his scrutinizing eyes.

“Who are you?” Taeyang asked suddenly making the other one jumped a little from the sudden talk. He’s not the type to talk to someone at school unless it’s absolutely necessary which rarely happens but this is a special case.

“Taeoh. Doh Taeoh,” he answered.

“Doh, I’m a Kim. Kim Taeyang,” he introduced himself, not to be sounding rude. He still has some manners left. “We’re not related, aren’t we?” The thing about Taeyang is that he does not beat around the bush. He wants things clear and straight.

“I don’t know,” Taeoh said. Even their names have similarities. Maybe it’s coincidence too but they don’t share the same surname so it’s safe to assume they just happen to look like each other. Taeyang seemed to think things out and consider that this Taeoh is just one of his 6 look-a-likes in this world but the other beats him. “You have my face. Impossible,” this sounds as if he is talking to himself instead of Taeyang.

“Are you suggesting that this is not some coincidences?” Taeyang asked as he took out his food like his seatmate. All these things happened drained his energy and he needs to tend his rumbling stomach. Besides, Taeoh’s food smells nice that makes him realizes that he’s so hungry now. He got an affirmative nod. “What are we then? You’re not seriously suggesting we are some kind of twins, aren’t you?” he laughs at the idea but it’s not impossible and he waited for the other to join him but he never got it. Instead, Taeoh looks at him with an unreadable expression. This made him shut up. “No way!” he gasps then Taeoh gave him a small smile.

“Here, have some. My Dada makes the best sausage rolls in the world!” Taeoh offered with a bright smile.

“T-thank you,” even with hesitation, Taeyang gave in to the other and have a bite of the delicious food. “Whoa! It’s soooo good!” he exclaimed!

“Of course! Dada made it so it should be good!” Taeoh continues to eat his food as well. They continue to eat their food and eventual sharing. Taeyang offered his sandwich too and they continue their conversation.

“We can be twins, you know,” this got the attention of the happy kid from his offered sausage roll. “Twins from different parents!” Taeoh exclaimed and a small giggle. “We can be friends,” he said then looked at Taeyang.

It’s not really a bad idea for Taeyang. They have similarities you cannot deny. He does not have a friend at their school. A friend or two before but it never ended out well. He became skeptic when it comes to having friends. It’s usually a bad omen for him. Before he knows it, his head nods on its own. Maybe he can try again. Besides he is still intrigued on this Taeoh. How can he be so cheerful with all that’s happening?, he thought. He just needs to be more careful this time and not give his full trust to this one.

 

 

 

Taeoh already seated at their table as he plays with his necklace while waiting for his Dada to finish preparing their dinner. On normal days, he would volunteer to help but Kyungsoo seems to understand that the child is tired coming home from his new school. He’s fully aware how much adjusting can drain someone’s energy.

“How’s the new school?” Kyungsoo asked, distracting the child from playing his pendant. The child was caught off guard upon the sudden question.

“It’s was okay Dada,” he said smiling but Kyungsoo knows better.

“Is there something wrong? Did someone hurt you?” this made Taeoh shake his head. “Then why are seem down?” Normally Taeoh would talk non-stop saying his experiences to Kyungsoo in which the older enjoy so much. Seeing his child talks about himself and share to him the things he had seen or whatever he learns from going to place for the first time. Seeing a distracted Taeoh coming home is not what he had expected. The child was silent for a while then he meets his father’s gaze.

“Can I ask something, Dada?”

“Of course, baby. What is it?”

Taeoh seems hesitant to ask his father what was bothering him?

“Am I your only, Baby?” Kyungsoo almost chokes on his food upon hearing the question. He can’t believe the day would come that his precious baby would doubt him. He immediately drank water to relieve himself.

“W-why did you a-ask, baby?” Kyungsoo manages to say, still recovering from the scene.

“I met someone at school today. He looks like me,” the kid says innocently. “but he’s darker,”

“Taeoh, what did I say about judging others’ appearance?” the father irked his brow towards his son that made the child looked down which Kyungsoo immediately regrets but the child sometimes needs constant reminder.

“Sorry, Dada,” comes the apology with the puppy look no one can resist. His father’s heart melted at the scene and ruffles the child’s hair who’s across him at the table.

“It’s okay, baby. You’re forgiven,” he gave his son a smile. “Tell me about him, then,”

At that statement, Taeoh immediately told his father everything. From the moment he entered the class, to how the whole class was shocked until how his new found friend started. Kyungsoo felt so relieved that his son seemed to immediately adjust to his new school. Seeing his son talking animatedly to this new friend of his, he can stay like this, listening to his son’s story forever. It brings bliss to his heart.

 

 

 

On the other hand…..

“Care to tell me why you’re on detention first day of school?!” Jongin asked his son the moment he picked him up from the school. Their homeroom teacher called him saying the child will be at detention for an hour. The child didn’t answer him for a while. They are on their way to have a dinner at a restaurant. “Kim Taeyang!” the child jumps at the sudden shout.

“I was shocked,” came an almost inaudible answer.

“Shocked?” Jongin is stressed. His day is full of problems and frustrations at work then added with the knowledge that his son got detention for the very first day of school. Maybe he became too much to the child but he’s stressed and that’s a valid reason. He got a severe headache.

“I may or may not have cursed,” the child said.

Jongin released a deep sigh. He’ll talk to his son later as they are already at the restaurant.

“We’ll talk later at home, young man,” he told his son as they are getting out of the car going inside the restaurant. Taeyang just nodded and went with his Dad.

The restaurant is that of a classic French one where it screams fine dining the moment you entered. It’s not that new for Taeyang but he prefers fast food where he can just eat with his hands whenever he likes.

“Hi, babe! Sorry, we’re late” his father said approaching a beautiful back of a woman and kissed her. He doesn’t mind it as he used to this scene.

“Hey, baby!” Replied the woman. “It’s nothing. You’re forgiven,” the lady gave Jongin a beautiful loving smile before he turned to Taeyang and immediately changed her expression to a curious one to annoy the kid. “Heard you got some trouble, huh?” she said as she kissed the kids head.

“Hi, Auntie Krystal!” Taeyang greeted as he situated himself beside his father. “I was just shocked,” he answered Krystal. The couple just exchange looks and immediately seated down.

They went on with their dinner as the couple continues to converse about their day, while the toddler enjoys his cake when he remembers something.

“Auntie, can you make me sausage rolls?” the adults halt their fun conversation as the child interrupts them. The woman seems to process the question and gave the child a warm smile.

“Of course! I’ll make you tomorrow for your snacks. How about that?” this immediately lightens up the mood of Taeyang.

“Make me two huge ones!”

“Why two?” asked Krystal.

“I want my friend to taste your cooking!”

“Y-you want t-to give it t-to your f-friend?” Jongin said in disbelief. Krystal gave him a weird look for his behavior but his son just nod his head towards him. To say Jongin is shocked is an understatement, this is a miracle to him! He always pretends not knowing that his son does not have friends at their school because of what happened before and now, his son is asking his girlfriend to make food for him and his friend? He made a mental note to meet and thank that angel who melted his son’s heart and became his friend.

“And dad? Can I ask you a question?” Taeyang said while slicing a piece from his plate. Jongin nodded his head excitedly that just made Krystal laugh at her boyfriend’s antics. She leaned on her palm to enjoy the father and son moment.

“Am I really your son?” Taeyang asked innocently.

Jongin’s jaw dropped to the floor at the unexpected question. Silence enveloped the table but not for a long time until Krystal’s laugh filled the place. The child looked ahead at the laughing lady thinking what’s funny with his question. His dad, on the other hand, was frozen at his place, maybe processing everything. How can his little man played his feeling so fast? Really, best moments do not last for ten seconds. He just asked ‘WHAT?? a little too loud that gained a lot of attention from the nearby tables.

“Dear, you look exactly like your father. Why are you doubting him?” Krystal asked the child kindly.

“Then why is there someone who looks like me?!” he protested not liking how the elders is currently treating him.

“Hmm as in exactly?” Krystal asked, now with curiosity and gained a nod from the child. She looked at Jongin to ask for a back up to answer the question but the man seems to think some other things. She looks for a good reason to tell the child since she knew that the child can be a little curious about the things around him.

“Maybe he’s your look-a-like or double ganger. Like your dad and Uncle Taemin,” this made Taeyang think. His aunt is right. Maybe they just happen to be look-a-likes but they are not related. Besides, he and Taeoh have different family names so that’s possible. They continue to eat with glee like a complete family they are.

 

 

 


A/N

Sorry, I haven't updated this story for a while. I got caught up with a lot of things. My life recently became a rollercoaster ride that I wish didn't happen. Anyway, this is probably a boring one and I'm sorry for that. I'll make it better for the succeeding chapters.

Pls, send love to the twins!! Mwuah!