TAEOH

The Other half

“Baby, breakfast is ready. Come down now!” Ooh that would be my hint. Carrying my book on geography downstairs to greet my favourite person in the world.

“Dada, good morning!” He bend down to kiss me and then ruffled my hair.

“Good morning to you too, Sweetie!” He flashes his signature heart-smile. Yes, my dada flashes hearts whenever he smiles. I didn’t think of it. It’s a reference I heard from one of the teachers at my school when I entered the faculty to submit my assignment to my adviser. I only thought of it as a compliment to him.

“Dada, what time are we leaving?” I asked him.  He lifted his face from his food, smile replaced by frown.

“In an hour, baby,” I just nodded and finished my food. Dada will always be a great cook. Not to mention, he works at restaurant.

We are moving to Seoul. The central city. I’m always curious as to what it would feel like living there and now, it’s coming true. Dada got transferred to the main branch of their restaurant because he said he did a good job so they are giving him reward. It’s also good for me because good schools are inside the city. My dream of helping Dada is slowly happening.

Six hours of train ride was so tiring even if we were just sitting down. This is my longest ride I’ve had so far but Dada made sure I’m comfortable. I know his legs are numb but he didn’t complain. The whole ride was peaceful except for the occasional cries from the baby three seats ahead of us.

“Dada, how long are we going to wait for the cab?” Dada looked down on me and smiled.

“Don’t be impatient. I’m sure the driver is anxious to meet you?” I just titled my head. Why would the driver be anxious to see me? Is it normal for a hired driver to act like that towards his passenger? Sometime, I can’t get how adults talk.

“Did you wait too long, Mister?” A voice speaks behind me. I turned around to see who is speaking.

“Mama!” I exclaimed. Whoa I missed her so much! She laughed at my action.

“Easy there, Mister! I missed you too,” she giggled and hugged me tightly. “Did you wait too long?” She asked while releasing me from the hug. I strongly shook my head because screw the wait! Mama is here! Dada came closer to us.

“He was complaining for 20 minutes where our cab is. He’s excited to see the city,” Dada came closer to Mama and kissed her cheeks. “I miss you,” he said.

“I miss you more!” Mama replied hugging Dada tightly. I immediately joined them exclaiming Group hug! Dada lift me up to let me join the hug. I love my Family.

 

=========

 

“You really sure you do not want me to stay here?” Jihyun asked Kyungsoo while they unpacked Taeoh’s luggage. Kyungsoo sighed heavily.

“No, Jihyun. We’re fine here. You did a lot for us already,” he smiled and held her hands. “Thank you,” for everything that she done for him, for them, ‘thank you’ is not enough. Taeoh emerged at the bedroom’s door from the living room after he was done exploring the whole place. They had their dinner on the way home at a diner three blocks from their building.

“Mama, are you sleeping here tonight?” he asked excitedly for the thought of his complete family, yet gain. He looked up to the two adults who seemed reluctant for their answer then it hit him. He can’t have the beautiful picture perfect family scene he was imagining always. Soon, his happiness was replaced by immediate sadness that got the two adults in panic mode when the saw imminent tears from the corner of his eyes. “Please?” he put on his most adorable pleading face.

“SSShhh Taeoh, don’t be sad. I’ll be here first thing in the morning!” Jihyun attempted to soothe the child’s feelings

“Why not now? What’s the difference? Don’t you love us anymore, Mama?” tears are now falling on his chubby cheeks. Jihyun dried his tears with her hand while saying convincing the boy that she loves him with all her heart. “What about Dada?” Jihyun was stunned for a moment but then she smiled fondly and briefly looked at Kyungsoo.

“I do. Always,” this time looking at the child’s eye to convey her sincerity as if she’s looking directly to the man’s eyes. Kyungsoo felt a rumbling in his gut for those words. Knowing they could never win with a persistent Taeoh, Kyungsoo crouched down matching his level with his son and said,

“Mama will stay so go ahead and prepare for bed,” he instructed and his son’s face immediately lit up leaving the room to take a shower.

To say that Jihyun was shocked is understatement to the point that she unconsciously nodded when Taeoh looked at her for confirmation. She was caught off guard by Kyungsoo’s statement. Whenever Taeoh asks for her to stay, Kyungsoo always do everything in his might to convince the child that she can’t stay and that she’s busy and they will always see each other in the morning. This is new to her. What on earth is he even thinking?  Noticing the reaction for the lady, Kyungsoo just scratch his head thinking of a better excuse for his action.

“I mean if you don’t mind,” Jihyun shook her head almost instantly that got Kyungsoo giggle for the cute scene. “You know I can’t always deny him of the things he wanted. I want him to feel he has a complete family.”

Family. Oh how she love that word. More if she know that would be with the man standing in front of her. The only man she will ever love, who is walking towards her and enveloping her in warm embrace. No words. Just comfortable silence between them feeling the warmth of each other’s body.

“I love you”

=======