III. Foregone

Seraphim

Jimin hated it. He hated having to witness death. But worst of all, he couldn't look away.

He's an Angel of Death. Death does not faze him. 

Then why does his gaze linger on little child Jungkook walking down the carpeted aisle at a funeral wake?

Taehyung was right beside Jimin, fittingly dressed for the solemn occasion not owing to taste, but only because his standard wardrobe was an array of grave colors. He nudged Jimin gently to move him along, and received a frosty stare.

"Why are we here?" questioned Jimin.

"To pay our respects." Taehyung coolly replied.

"To Jungkook's dead kid brother? Am I missing something? Because I'm not making any connections here." Jimin kneaded his forehead with his thumbs over the temples, closing his eyes on the unwelcome sight of a tiny coffin. 

"Don't you want to know Jungkook a little better?"

Jimin opened his eyes again, just as the funeral march rose everyone to join the procession.

Amidst the ghastly organ symphony, Jimin found some relief when Taehyung slipped up behind him and tucked their arms together, whispering into Jimin's ear like letting him in on a secret.

"It's okay. I can tune it out."

Instantly, the dismal funeral march faded, carrying with it muddled murmurs and wailing over the indescribable grief of a young life lost.

"Focus, Jimin."

Clueles with what he was meant to look at, Jimin stared blankly and all of a sudden, everyone let out a collective gasp and Jungkook seemed to be the center of attention.

Jungkook’s mother was being supported from the back by people around who had caught her mid-fall, and it appeared that little Jungkook was the one who pushed her away with all his might.

The mourning crowd did not take it well, and started to dish out disapproving looks at Jungkook. 

Regardless, Jimin wanted to give the kid a hug because of how upset he was. Jungkook was trembling and so was his mother, but the both of them remained rooted to the spot like in the aftermath of a nuclear disaster, and a gulf of unspeakable sorrow had formed between them.

Jungkook cried like an abandoned child. "Mama... Do you wish it was me?"

The sobbing boy held his finger up at the coffin where his brother laid, and wondered if a life could be exchanged.

His mother fell on her knees and buried her face in her hands, weeping uncontrollably but never refuting her son's claim.

No. He wasn't just her son. He would always be the other son. The other son who could never fill the shoes of the dearly beloved younger. Jihoon.

Jihoon may be dead, but he never ceased to remind Jungkook that being alive was not as valuable as the memory of a precious son.

Jimin felt cracks forming in his heart as he witnessed Jungkook holding his ground, stubbornly stabbing the air with his tiny finger, wishing his mother would come collect him in her arms so he could stay afloat in the tidal wave of aggression.

"Jimin."

Taehyung's voice cut through the air waves, and it felt like they had surfaced from the depths of the ocean where noone could hear you even if you screamed.

How could dreams feel so real and stifling?

"That wasn't a dream, Jimin. I ended it because you were about to hyperventilate."

"What the hell? Stop reading me." Jimin protested.

“You could do it too, Jimin. You can access my memory.” Taehyung was strangely encouraging. “You have that power too, you know.”

"I don't want anything to do with you, in case you forgot."

They were both in Taehyung's realm, which is basically an estate in Hell, and judging from the lavishness of the emerald jewels encased in Roman columns towering above them in stark contrast with the black onyx marble that was the key feature of this shadowy residence — This estate was probably prime property.

It was so massive that Jimin almost forgot just a few moments ago, they had witnessed a young boy's life being ruined forever.

Jimin barely blinked when his legs were abruptly lifted off the ground, and finding himself in Taehyung's arms he was about to throw a fit, but Taehyung silenced him with a forlorn expression.

"If you want Jungkook back, you're stuck with me... at least for now."

Jimin felt drawn into Taehyung's mesmerizing grey eyes. He wasn't sure if it was a hocus-pocus effect on him, but everything about Taehyung has a kind of attraction that beckoned like an oasis begging to be found. 

"And I promise not to read your mind again..." Taehyung continued with a grin from ear to ear, picking up his footsteps towards his intended place to retire for the night. "Not before asking, anyway."

Jimin tilted his head, picking up on the mischief from Taehyung's twinkly eyes.

"Are we good now?"

Jimin was about to balk at Taehyung's question, when he heard the voice in his head being annnounced.

"Go to Hell? Oh honey, have you forgotten where we are?"

"Kim Taehyung!"

 

 


[ Author's Note ]

Sorry I take so long to update! I have certain draught periods in my life, when I can't find the time / inspiration to write...

And this is a tough AU to write, so I was very excited to continue when the plot started to simplify on its own... I think I found a solid motivation for Taehyung's little 'game'... Do stick with me, and leave some encouragement~

I can't promise frequent updates, but when I do, the plot will generally take a nice steady turn. I update whenever I'm confident that I know where it's going, and having time to do so is just incredibly precious! :')

Thanks for the subscriptions & bookmarks, I appreciate it when readers stick with me