The Duke's Second Son

HunHan Drafts

“You can’t do this to me, father!” yelled Prince Sehun to his father, the king of the city known as Sage Meadow, known for its green fields and abundance of herbs and spices. From a city made by castaways with Prince Sehun’s ancestors as the leader, it wasn’t too shabby and was only second to the capital in wealth and riches.

“Try again. You’ve had your fun, and now it’s time to settle down,” King Suho said nonchalantly as he kept his eyes plastered on a book, the light from the nearby fireplace dancing along his face and the book cover.

“But with a man? How could you do this to me!” Sehun yelled out in frustration. He was well aware of the family’s strange tradition of marrying the second, third and so on child of the main family’s bloodline to the same gender but he thought he would have more time to prepare himself, mentally and physically. Especially on the physically part. Though Sage Meadow didn’t bother with keeping traditional relationships like other cities, it was still a rare sight to see couples of the same .

King Suho sighed, knowing fully well that this discussion was going to be a long and arduous one. “Sehun, this is the tradition of our family. To prevent what happened in the past, this was a measure your ancestors had decided on. Please respect it. Besides, the boy we chose for you is wonderful! He is quite the looker even as a male.”

“Then you marry him!” Sehun yelled, storming out of the study.

Closing his eyes as his eyebrows furrowed from the stress, King Suho stared out to the city through the glass windows of his study. “Is this the right thing to do, father?”

*****

Luhan stared at the deep navy of the night sky from his room’s window, thinking of nothing in particular when a knock caught his attention.

“May I come in?” a short but beautiful woman with curly blonde hair went to sit beside Luhan, making him smile softly.

“Mother. Why come up? You aren’t even feeling well. I could’ve come downstairs,” Luhan said sweetly.

His mother shook her head. “This is the last time I can see my son before he becomes part of the royal family. Let me put in a bit of effort.”

Luhan laughed softly, his mother realizing how the cheeky twinkle he had in his deep brown eyes didn’t disappear even after twenty-one years of raising him. “Royal family, ay…” Luhan said mindlessly, staring out of the window, a little smirk creeping up on his face, “I wonder what it’ll be like.”

*****

Sehun felt itchy and uncomfortable all over. He had always hated attending stuffy functions and his wedding was no exception. Contrary to butterflies in his stomach, all he felt was the breakfast he ate churning around like it was making butter. This was the worst.

“All rise for the bridegroom, the second son of the Duke, Xi Luhan,” the event host announced.

The large wooden double door to the hall opened up thanks to the two knights placed on either side, a blinding light illuminating a petite yet well-built young man donning a white tuxedo, a light blue vest peeping out of the exposed front. Somehow the churning of butter in Sehun’s stomach stopped abruptly when he saw the side swept blonde hair that was framing the milky white face of the man who was going to be his life partner. His father was right. He was a looker. Too much of a looker that Sehun wondered if his ancestors were punishing him for being a total scumbag to hundreds of women in his twenty-three years of life.

, Sehun thought.

 

As Luhan made his way up the altar, he managed to get a glimpse of his husband-to-be and the rumors were correct. He truly was a handsome man. Luhan smiled to himself as he finally stood by Sehun’s side. After the pastor read out words of blessings for the union, Luhan and Sehun were asked to face each other to answer the question that would mark the beginning of the marriage.

Staring blankly at Sehun, Luhan studied his facial features. He definitely could get plenty of women with a face like that. He must’ve had a fit when he found out he was marrying Luhan instead of a pretty little girl. Luhan’s lips curved upwards, finding the situation a little bit funny.

 

Sehun’s face warmed up at the sight of his marriage partner smiling at him like he was an interesting specimen on earth. He couldn’t remember anything much from the wedding besides the exchanges of ‘I do’s, though it was quite a spectacular fumble on his part. As he watched the guests twirl and sashay away on the dance floor, him and Luhan as well as other members of the royal family sat on a long table enjoying the array of food presented in front of them.

Sehun didn’t bother looking in Luhan’s direction. After all, there was no way he would be in the same room or even on the same bed as a man. He loved women after all. No matter how sweet Luhan looked, Sehun had no use for him.

After the festivities ended, Sehun and Luhan were escorted by maids and guards to their chambers. As both of them entered the bedroom, Sehun was taken aback when Luhan casually strolled past him to look out the window that was situated behind a study desk.

Sehun crossed his arms as he studied Luhan who was basked in the moonlight seeping from the window. He cleared his throat from discomfort as he realized he was thinking how slender and charming Luhan was looking out of that window, catching Luhan’s attention.

Sehun looked at him square in the eyes. “Listen here. I have no plans to do anything with you, what more sleeping on the same bed. So, don’t even think about it.”

Luhan stared at him indifferently before a small, slightly cocky smile decorated his small face.

How does he accommodate those huge eyes on such a tiny face, Sehun thought.

“Don’t worry. I had no such ideas, Prince Sehun,” Luhan said formally.

Sehun felt himself frown. “Right. Great then.”

Luhan nodded before an awkward silence filled the room.

“Are you not leaving, Prince Sehun? Did you not say you weren’t going to sleep here?” Luhan asked distantly.

Sehun felt himself burn up from anger, but before he could get a word out, that small, slightly cocky smile came back on Luhan’s face.

“Or… did you change your mind?” Luhan said seductively.

Sehun felt himself gulp and wondered what was going on here. “Y-you…”

“It doesn’t matter to me. I married into the royal family because of your wealth, but I’m fully aware of the duties of a bridegroom. Ah, just so you know, I have quite the experience in that area, so you don’t need to worry,” Luhan explained, like he was in a lecture.

Sehun’s eyes widened like saucers. “Experience? I-is that so?”

Luhan looked out of the window once more, before giving a mumbled agreement. “After seeing and having with a few men, I realized they’re all the same. Since they’re all the same, I might as well marry the one with wealth and power…” Luhan said as he locked eyes with a shocked Sehun. “Don’t you think?”