0221

Crazy Rich Canadian

Seulgi lays awake in the wee hour of the morning, a consequence of time difference, and takes in her surroundings. It seems so long ago when they first landed in Toronto Person International Airport but in reality, only 2 days had passed.

She studies Wendy’s room again in detail and noted how contrasting it is to their home in Seoul. The room is filled with fine mahogany shelves and a cherry wood desk that spells money at first glance. The king size bed that they are currently sleeping on is lined with silk sheets and duvet that provided comforts only money can buy. Compared to their dinky apartment in Seoul, this should be like heaven.

Yet, the coldness of this place makes Seulgi crave for the warmth that their apartment provides, the knowledge that everything was within reach. That Seungwan was within reach.

News had traveled fast that Son Wendy, heiress to the Son Enterprise, had brought back a partner. A commoner at that. Everyone is either curious, jealous, or just outright bribing her for favors with the Son.  

As they walk through the revolving door of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel for a gathering where only the elites, the wealthiest of the wealthy are invited, Seugli can feel eyes staring at her, boring holes on to the fancy dress that she’s wearing.

If not for Seungwan supporting her, she probably would have bolted out of there under the pressure of the spotlight. How did Seungwan deal with all of this? To stand tall and unfaltering under the scrutiny of all these eyes. All starring, judging and estimating your worth.

Seungwan rubs the back of her hand for assurance as they were escorted to the VIP lounge where waiters roam the venue with vintage wine and extravagant finger food on standby.

It didn’t take long for Seulgi’s mind to wander as Seungwan engages in mindless conversations and polite responses with countless people who probably would never have given her the time of the day if not for Seungwan’s presence.

At least not all was foreign.  Seulgi was able to find familiar faces greeting her from afar.

Over to the left, Seulgi sees Joy pretending to be focused under her father’s scrutiny. The image of a perfectly sophisticated daughter. Yet still finding time to throw funny faces at Seulgi like the child that she is.

Over on the right, Seulgi sees Irene representing her family in greeting all these investors and potential business partners. She stood tall and proud, exuding the confidence and charisma that let everyone knows that the Bae business is in good hand.

In the far corner, Seulgi sees Krystal struggling to escape from Jessica’s grip. Not caring if she had offended the crowd with her unmasked boredom.

 After two hours of pretense, Seulgi stifles a yawn when she thought no one was looking. And of courses, no one was really paying attention to her. No one besides Seungwan that is.

Without a word, Seungwan grabs her hand and leads her away from the crowd with expertise.

Seulgi looks over to see a sly smirk on her face, the same smile she often donned when she dragged Seulgi out of class to spend the afternoon bathing under the warm sun.

Seulgi smiles at the memory. How she misses those carefree days.

Seungwan leads Seulgi outside to the balcony, away from people and away from stares.

"Sorry babe. I know this is not the vacation you had imagined. I promised I’ll make it up to you once we are back in Korea." Seungwan drapes her large coat over Seulgi as the couple looks out into the city light.

 

"Korea? You're going back to Korea?" Seulgi turns to face Seungwan with shock on her face. The question has been on her mind ever since they landed in Toronto. Heck, maybe even ever since they got together but Seulgi was always afraid to ask. Because if living in Korea is not in their future, then what would she do? What should she do?

 

"Of course, silly." Seungwan smiles tenderly at Seulgi, knowing exactly what has been on her girlfriend's mind. "That's where our home is." That's where you are. Seungwan tugs herself in closer to Seulgi and lets their body heat warms them up in this cold night.

 

"But what about Canada? What about your family and your company?"

 

"What about them?" Seungwan smiles like they are the most basic questions that even a two-year-old can answer. "We have branches all over the world. Korea included. And they can always visit."

 

Seulgi returns Seungwan's smile before resting her head on Seungwan's shoulder, feeling all the weight lifted off her shoulders.

 

Home. She smiles at the implication. That's right. Once back in Korea, Son Wendy will become her Seungwan again. Her penny-pinching, sweats-wearing, couch potato girlfriend.

 

Seungwan pulls her in even closer and just like that the distance she had felt for the past two days dissipated like an old puff of smoke.

--

“Seulgi-ah. Wake up.” Seulgi can feel her eyelids struggle to open. She pulls the blanket over her head in an attempt to block out the intruding voice. “Babe, wake up. We’re going to miss the sunrise.” Seungwan’s soft voice penetrates the grogginess.

Seulgi stirs from her sleep as her promise to Seungwan surface in the depth of her subconsciousness. She had just overcome time difference and had wanted to sleep in before going to back to Korea and suffer another round of sleepless nights. But a promise is a promise.

“Five more minutes.”

Seungwan chuckles at the response. “Babe, you said that 3 times already.” And with one swing of a motion, Seungwan lifts the blanket off of Seulgi and drags her to the bathroom to freshen up.

The young couple made it to the top of the Planetarium at the University of Toronto with some time to spare.

“Sleep. I’ll wake you up before the sun rises.” Seungwan whispers after they settled down on the wall of the planetarium that overlooks the ocean.

 


Seulgi closes her eyes and lets her head rests on Seungwan's shoulder as they cuddle under the blanketed sky waiting for the first peak of the sun.

Seungwan watches as Seulgi’s eyes flutter closed and her breathing soften. She smiles tenderly at the image. How she wishes she can pause this moment forever.

--

“Babe, wake up.” Seungwan nudges Seulgi gently, waking her up for the second time that day.

“Huh?” Seulgi sits up slowly and rubs some consciousness back onto her eyes. She lets out a yawn under her scarf and scoots closer her warm-blooded girlfriend.

“The sun is rising.” Seungwan chuckles at the adorable sight in front of her.

Seulgi slowly opens her eyes and takes in the sight before her. Far out in the horizon, Seulgi can see the first sun rays peeking through the ocean glowing dark orange as they refract and reflect through the body of water.

“It’s beautiful,” Seulgi exclaims through whispered breath as the dark sky slowly glows in a gradient of colors. Unknowingly, her smile shines just as brightly, appreciating the beauty before her.


“Yea. Yea it is.” Seungwan acknowledges the sight before her. Her eyes glued to the girl beside her. The soft glow of the sun shines on Seulgi’s smile and radiates her presence. Seulgi is easily satisfied and little things like this make her happy. It is the reason why Seungwan fell in love with her in the first place.

 

“You’re not even looking!” Seulgi finally notices that her girlfriend’s attention is not even on the sunrise.

“But you’re much prettier.” Seungwan gives her a cheeky smile that makes it impossible for her rebuttal. All she can do is turn back to face the horizon. Not acknowledging Seungwan’s sudden compliment nor the tinted blush that is creeping up her cheeks.

 

“Seulgi-ah. We’ve been together for three years now...” Seungwan suddenly turns to face Seulgi once the sun is at its peak and holds onto her hands tightly.

 

Seulgi slowly turns to face her girlfriend. The sentence ringing similarly in her head. But she has learned not to assume too early anymore. Because the last time she did, she had agreed to come to Toronto pre-maturely.

So, she faces Seungwan with a question on her face, urging the younger girl to continue.

“And you’ve been the sunrise in my life,” Seungwan cringes a little at the cheesiness but she knows the girl she’s proposing to loves it. So, she continues. “the apple in my eyes, the key to my heart and the person I wish to grow old with.”  Seugnwan pauses a little trying to read the expression on her usually easy to read girlfriend, but Seungwan is too nervous to even decipher the small smile on Seulgi’s face. Her heart thumps loudly as she continues her speech.

“I am certain that I want to spend the rest of my life with you…” Seungwan jumps off her seat and hovers in front on Seulgi. “If you can tolerate me.”

 

She reaches into her jacket pocket and pulls out a blue velvet box with the word Tiffany & Co writing eloquently on top.

“Will you marry me?” Seungwan got on one knee and opens the lid of the expensive looking box to reveal an even more expensive looking ring with small diamonds lining the surface of the metal. Classy yet simple. Just like how Seulgi would like it.

 

“YES! YES! YES” Seulgi jumps from her seat and launch herself into Seungwan’s arms with a huge grin on her face.

If there were any doubts before when she first learned about Wendy and Wendy’s background, Seungwan is there to chase them away. She has known this since the beginning that her options are limited because really, she cannot imagine saying no to the proposal. Saying no to living with Seungwan. Saying no to a future with Seungwan.

 

Seungwan gently slips the diamond band onto Seulgi’s marriage finger as her own face mirrors the wide grin on Seulgi’s face.

“I love you, Kang Seulgi!” She yells at the ocean as she lifts Seulgi up onto the air and twirls the girl around with the strength of happiness.

Seulgi giggles as a response. “I love you too, Son Seungwan!” She leans in to capture the shorter girl's lip, letting them meld together like the perfect mold for one another. The kiss is short and sweet but filled with memories and happiness. 

 

“Does that mean I can be a stay at home-wife now?” Seulgi teases after pulling away. 

 

“Hate to break it to you babe, but you’ll still be the bread-winner in this relationship.” Seungwan responses with a smirk on her face. “My dad wants me to start at the bottom and work my way up. So, we’ll be back to penny-pinching in Korea.”

Seulgi laughs out loud at the pout of Seungwan’s face. “I’ll support us!” Seulgi declares proudly thinking back on the graphic designer position that Samsung had extended to her.

“My fiancé is not only smart, beautiful, funny, talented, amazing but also rich!” The stream of compliments continue as Seungwan grabs Seulgi's hand and lead her back to their car, not forgetting to emphasize the new label.

Fiancé. It still sounds foreign to Seulgi yet so right. The promises of the future all tied to that one word. Seulgi smiles as she repeats it in her head. Fiancé. Son Seungwan is her fiancé. Her soon to be wife. 

The couple walks away hand in hand with their back toward the sun as they discuss their future and their wedding theme. The couple opted for a small ceremony with only family and close friends in Korea but, little did they know, Toronto is about to be hit with the biggest and most extravagant wedding yet. It’s not every day that one of the richest and most powerful family in the country throw a wedding party of their one and only heiress.


A/N: Sorry it's a little late. I wanted to publish this on Wendy's bday but life happened. Better late than never tho =D 

Hope you guys like the story. It's short and simple. Let me know what you guys think about it. ^.^