0210

Crazy Rich Canadian

“Seulgi-ah. We’ve been together for three years now...” The blonde reaches out in front and slowly caresses the back of the hand in front. Her voice is grave and earnest, adding solemnity to this already quiet atmosphere.

“And I am certain that I want to spend the rest of my life with you…” Seungwan’s soft voice echoes soothingly across the dimly-lit restaurant where she had made a reservation for. Her eyebrows furrowed deeply, pondering on her next words.

Holy ! Is she going to propose? Seulgi listens attentively, putting up a calm front while the voice inside her head panics at the implication of where the conversation is headed.

Oh. My. God. Holy. ing. . Seulgi’s mind scrambles for words, trying its hardest to sort through the limited vocabulary that her incoherent mind can conjure up to answer the unasked.

But really though, her options are also limited because she cannot imagine saying no to the proposal.

 

But we just graduated from college not long ago! The practical side of her reasoned.

Are they really ready to get married while they are still struggling to find a stable job to pay for the bills, rent, grocery, and all the other expenses that they somehow accrue in the month?

Well, more like Seulgi is the only one stressing out because Seungwan has just been lazing around the house, enjoying her ‘post-graduation vacation’ as she called it.

 “Babe, we have worked our off for the past 4 years. Let’s just enjoy the freedom that graduation has given us for now.”

Seulgi can just hear the excuse coming from her girlfriend’s mouth as she sprawled across the couch while she, herself, diligently applied to every job that is relevant to her major.

“I would love to, but a job is not just going to land on our laps while we ‘enjoy our freedom,’ Wan. I don’t want to get evicted because we can’t pay the rent!”

Seulgi just let her girlfriend be though because she knows how hard Seungwan had worked to graduate with top honor in her class. She is just too much of a worrywart to let herself be though.

--

Seulgi looks around as her heart thumps in both anticipation and uneasiness.

Is she really going to propose? Here and now?

Seungwan had picked a romantic Italian restaurant and even ordered a semi-expensive bottle of red Merlot on the side, ready to be served with their pasta,

Seungwan willingly spending money to dine out, an occasion that is rare in their 3-year relationship.

Seulgi can’t even remember when was the last time her stingy, penny-pinching girlfriend even suggested dining out, much less at a nice restaurant as such.

‘Why pay 100,000s of Wons for a meal when I can whip up a dish just as tasty’ she mocks her girlfriend’s reason in her head.

“Kang Seulgi.” Seugnwan pauses at her full name. “Will you…”

Seulgi’s heart flutters like the wings of hummingbirds. She her chapped lips, readying them to reply to Seungwan’s question.

Despite her uneasiness for their future, she has no doubt in her mind that she would say yes. She can’t imagine being with anyone else, building a family with anyone else but the blonde girl sitting across from her.

“go to Toronto with me?”

“YES!” Seulgi answers instinctive the minute the question leaves Seungwan’s lip.

It took her minutes to realize that the questions did not really match the one in her head. Wait…What? Go to Toronto? With Seungwan?

WHAT!?

The shock must have appeared on her face because her girlfriend attempts to explain herself as she chuckles at the adorable sight in front of her.

“As I said earlier, we’ve been together for 3 years now. I would like to introduce you to my family.” Seugnwan’s voice is shy but pleading. Seulgi noted how the word family fades out near the end, almost like a taboo to even whisper it.

Of the 4 years since they’ve known each other, the woman rarely breaches that topic. Seulgi knows that Seungwan’s family is from Toronto, Canada. They are Canadian-Korean. She is the only child. But other than that, she has no idea what her parents’ name is, what they do. Heck, she wasn’t even shown any pictures of the family or their home in Toronto!

Even though Seungwan knows all about Seulgi and had met her family and relatives several times during Chuseok and other holidays.

“Go to Toronto with you?” Seulgi echoes the question as if she hadn’t heard clearly. “to meet your family?” she ponders at the implication.

“Only if you want to!” Seungwan panics at the less enthusiastic response from her girlfriend. She thought that Seulgi would be more excited about meeting her family since she’s been implying how she doesn’t know anything about her side of the family.

Seungwan looks at Seulgi in the eyes to see if she can find any hint of her offer being rejected but to her surprised, Seulgi responded with a huge grin on her face.

“Of course! I would love to meet your family!” Seulgi jumps from her seat and leaps into Seungwan’s embrace. She buries her smile into the crook of Seungwan’s neck.

Though not what Seulgi was expecting but it is still a big step in their relationship.

--

When Seulgi had agreed, she thought they were going to go in a few months after some planning, but to her surprise, the plane ticket was bought the very next day by none other than her penny-pinching girlfriend to leave in a week. 5 days to be exact.

While Seulgi spent those days packing for the trip she noticed that Seungwan was getting more and more nervous and fidgety by the day.

“So how big is your family? What do your parents do?” Seulgi attempts again to get some information about these people that she will be meeting soon. Seungwan has been avoiding the topic by giving her the runaround.

“I have a relatively big family. Too many to name. And my parents are in…business.” Seungwan replies vaguely, still unsure how to tell Seulgi about her family.

“Seul, I..” Seugnwan pauses, unsure how to continue the sentence. “I just want to let you know that my family is a bit…unconventional.”

“They can be overwhelming at time. Please, don’t let them scare you off.” She made sure to emphasize each word as a prewarning.

Seulgi stares at the girlfriend with agape. Unconventional? What does that even mean? Seulgi wanted to ask more but her train of thought was interrupted by a phone call from her cousin.

--

“I don’t get it. Why won’t she tell me anything about her family?” Seulgi complains to her cousin, Yeri. “I’ll be meeting them in a less than 24 hours!”

“What if…her family is scary? What if they are in the mafia?” Yeri’s eyes widen at the possibility. It only makes sense, right? Unconventional? Not to be scared off? What’s scarier than meeting a family of the mafia.

“Har har.” Seulgi laughs off Yeri’s guess like it was a joke but somewhere in the back of her head, she can’t help but wonder. What is Seungwan’s family like? How unconventional can they be?

Seulgi is curious but she doesn’t want to pressure her poor girlfriend. She already seems nervous enough.

--

The day finally arrives for them to cross the ocean to meet Seungwan’s family.

The boarded the plane and make their way to the very back in the economy section. Seulgi tries to make herself comfortable, or as comfortable as possible, for they will be stuck in the two middle seats in a 4-seater column for the 12 hours.

Seulgi is beyond excited. This will be her first time traveling outside the country. And she will be visiting Seungwan’s family no less.

Seungwan wants to tell Seulgi all about her family. She really does. But she doesn’t know where to start. She glances over at the sleeping face of her precious girlfriend and smiles tenderly.

Maybe she can tell her over dinner before heading back to the property.

--

Seulgi walks out of the plane groggily. It has been a long and tiring flight. She just wants to eat and knock out.

Seungwan tells her that they can grab dinner before heading to her house and Seulgi has been excited to try some authentic Canadian food. A nice steak burger or some delicious poutine. Anything and everything sounds good right now.

As they exit the airport, there are crowds of people waiting for those that just landed with flowers and signs in hand. Family reunites with hugs and kisses, friends meeting up with smiles and pats on the back, and chauffeurs picking up luggage for the guests they are assigned to.

Seulgi wonders for a second why Seungwan’s family had not picked them up. It has been years since they have seen their daughter, surely, they would want to personally pick her up. Seulgi’s family would have.

Seulgi was so lost in the surrounding that she didn’t notice how her girlfriend dipped her head in hiding as she drags Seulgi further into the crowd of people.

But it was too late. The drivers had also spotted their young mistress.

“Miss Son. We have a car prepared for you.” Four giant guards in a black tuxedo stepped in front of Seulgi and Seungwan and made the motion to them.

“Huh? I think you guys got the wrong person.” Seulgi’s attention returns to the scene in front of her. She wanted to laugh at the situation but when she turns to look at Seungwan, her face looks defeated, like she had no rebuttal for the statement.

Seulgi glances back and forth between the guards and her girlfriend, but no other words were exchanged as the guards picked up their luggage and lead the way. Seungwan and Seulgi follow with no explanation.

Seulgi stares in awe as they got into the black Sedan that looked like it could have been used for the president or someone important. She watches as the car drive pass house after house until the property thins out. They venture into properties that are more land than building and eventually, even the house starts to disappear behind gated fences.

Seulgi stole glances at Seungwan who remains silent throughout the whole ride.

After 30 minutes or so, the car finally stops in front of a giant gate. The gate opens automatically, and the car drove on for another 5 minutes before a giant house, mansion, slowly comes into view.

“T-this is where you live?” Seulgi asks in awe. This place is huge! It is almost as big as those royal palaces that they have visited in Europe. Even the decoration is similar.

Stone columns separated by repetition of round-headed arches, stylised floral and foliage stone decorations and cable moldings around doors in the style of twisted rope.

If Seulgi hadn’t known in advance, she would have thought they were sightseeing in Rome or something.

Seungwan gives off a little hum in acknowledgment before the guards open the door to usher them out.

Seugnwan takes the lead and led Seulgi into her home. She was sweating bucket. She had wanted to explain before they arrive, but she should have known that her parents would check her flight information and arrange people to pick them up.

“I’ll explain later,” Seugnwan whispers softly to Seulgi while drawing circular motions on the back of Seulgi’s hand with her thumb, hoping to calm the taller girl’s nerve.

--

“Seungwan! Honey. We missed you so much.” A middle age lady in a very fancy dress with a fur coat draped over her shoulder rushes toward Seungwan and gave her a big hug.

From not too far away, an older man in a gray wool cardigan walks over slowly with a tender smile, one that is like a replica of Seungwan’s. Only when the woman let go that he gives Seungwan a small hug and a soft pat on the back.

“I’ve missed you both too.” Seungwan pulls them both into a hug before taking a step back to be in line with Seulgi.

“Mom. Dad. This is my girlfriend, Seulgi.” Seungwan introduces, glancing nervously between the two parties, trying to gauge their reactions.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Son.” Seulgi puts on one of her friendliest smiles and reaches out her hand to greet the elders.

But instead of a handshake, Mrs. Son pulls Seulgi into a warm hug. “It’s nice to finally meet you, dear. We have heard much about you.”

They have? Seulgi thought to herself. Seungwan talked about her to her parents? Because, surely, she doesn’t know much about them.

“Thank you for taking care of our Seungwannie.” Mr. Son grips onto Seulgi’s hand with both hands. His grip was so soft and warm that Seulgi can help but compared it to Seungwan’s. She notices how much Seungwan resembles her father.

“Go on and get settled.” Mrs. Son gives them a little push toward the stairs. “We invited some of your cousins over for dinner tomorrow. We can celebrate your return then.” Mrs. Son informs them but there’s a hint of finality in her tone.

“But mom…” Seungwan wanted to protest but the disapproving looks on her father’s face stop her mid-sentence. 

She groans in annoyance and takes Seulgi’s hand to lead her up the stairs to her room.

--

“You didn’t tell me that your family is rich!” Seulgi launches the minute the door is closed in the safe haven of Seungwan’s room.

“They’re...not.”

Seulgi gives her an incredulous look.

“They’re…comfortable.” Seungwan reasons. To her, her family is just her family. It really hadn’t occurred to her that her family was not like other families until she entered high school.

She had always been surrounded by friends with a similar background that she couldn’t understand why her peers would scoff at her for the clothing she wears, the car she owns, and the parties she attends, nor did she doubt that people would befriend her for her wealth. She didn’t understand until high school and when she did, she hated it. 

Everyone became so fake all a sudden and she hated them and her family and their money for shattering that fairy tale life that she had lived.

So, she ran away. She left for South Korea and gave herself a new identity. There, she’s no longer the heiress of Son Enterprise. There, she’s not the only daughter to the Son. There, she is not rich. She is not well-off. She is just Son Seungwan, a normal college student struggling with classes.

And when she met Seulgi, she is another student and she is content with being just that.

 “Comfortable is a big house with 4, 5 rooms. Maybe a backyard and a dog. This-” Seulgi is pacing around the giant bedroom that is the size of their tiny apartment back in South Korea. “This is more than comfortable.” She looks at Seungwan, who she thought she knew so well. But now…?

“I’m sorry, Seulgi-ah. I wanted to tell you earlier.” Seungwan reaches out to her girlfriend, hoping the physical contact can appease her. “I just didn’t know how to start.”

And just like that, Seulgi’s heart instantly melts at Seungwan’s soft apologetic voice and pitiful pout.

 “It’s okay. You can tell me everything now.” Seulgi’s voice softens and she pats Seungwan on the back. She can never stay angry at Seungwan for more a few hours. Especially not when Seungwan can tug at her heart string with just a look or a pout.

“Well…my family are investors. They pour money into start-ups and companies that they think will be successful and reap the profits when they do.” Seungwan starts with what she knows but even then, it’s not much because the Son Enterprise has its reach in so many industries that even her very own father, the chairman of the company, is not 100% knowledgeable.

“I think my great-great-great-grandparents invested their money into real estate back then and from there, the Sons had branched into fashion, air crafts, hotels, supermarkets, technologies, restaurants, advertisement, entertainment, and so much more.”

Seulgi sits down on the bed to steady herself as she takes in the news.

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Seulgi voiced her question with a shaky breath. She could care less that Seungwan is that rich. What bothers her more is that Seungwan had kept it a secret. Did she not trust her?

“I’m sorry, Seul.” Seungwan can sense the hurt from Seulgi’s voice and she feels horrible to be the cause of it. “I wanted to live as a normal student. After we got together, I wanted to tell you. I really did but I just didn’t know how to bring it up.”

Seulgi sighs at the explanation. She gets it. She had watched enough dramas to know how skeptical these rich people can be…but that doesn’t dampen the hurt that she feels.

“It’s fine,” Seulgi reassures but more for herself than for her apologetic girlfriend. 

 --

Again, every about the Son had exceeded Seulgi’s expectation. When Mrs. Son said that she had invited “some of your cousins over for dinner,” Seulgi expected a nice family dinner with maybe 6 or 7 close relatives.

What she returned to after a nice day out with Seungwan is an extravagant party with hundreds of people in cocktail dresses and tuxedoes roaming the property.

Nice, expensive looking cars line the driveway waiting for their car to be valet.

From Maserati to Tesla, Mercedes to BMWs, Porsche to brands that Seulgi can’t even recognize but just know that it would cost her an arm and leg.

“I thought we’re having a family dinner,” Seulgi questions Seungwan in a hushed tone, not wanting to sound disrespectful.

“News got out that I’m back and…I guess my parents couldn’t turn down their request to attend.” Seugnwan looks at her girlfriend apologetically. She should have warned Seulgi about this earlier. This is expected to happen, but they were having so much fun touring Toronto that Seungwan, once again, forgets her status as heir to the Son enterprise.

She forgets how people are bound to probe into her private life and butter her up to get into her good favor.

“Should we change?” Seulgi looks at what others were wearing and back at their fitted jeans and matching Mickey and Minnie Mouse hoodie. They look so out of place in this fancy setting.

Seungwan looks at their outfit and just nods. She knows how parents can get with formality and images.

She snaps her fingers and two attendants were automatic at their side, ready for instruction.

“Can you both get Seulgi ready for the party? I trust the stylist to know what to do.” Seungwan instructs in an authoritative tone before turning to Seulgi with a soft expression. “I’ll see you in a bit?” She caresses Seulgi’s hand gently before handing it off to the attendants.

All Seulgi can do is nods and follows along through the maze of the Son home.

After Seulgi disappears, Seungwan also made her way through the mansion to get herself presentable.

She heaves a sigh as she walks toward the house. If it was up to her, she would rather just have a small cozy dinner with her family and call it a night as she cuddles under Seulgi’s embrace.   

--

Seulgi watches as four pairs of hands work through her hair and make-up with absolute skill. Her transformation slowly manifests itself through the beauty that sits in front of the mirror. She can barely recognize herself with her hair semi-curled at the bottom, her make-up light and natural yet the contours emphasize features that she never really paid attention too.

And the dress. A dark blue knee-length Valentino dress that seems to be tailored for her body as it accentuates Seulgi’s curve with humbleness. Even without the diamond studs that are embroidered at the bottom of the dress, Seulgi can tell that it is a piece that she would never dream of wearing just from the brand itself.

Yet, here in this giant closet that belongs to Seungwan are hundreds of dresses with a similar price tag. Seulgi takes in her surrounding as it slowly dawns on her the vastness of Seungwan’s wealth.

And instead of excitement, Seulgi feels alone.

--

Seungwan waits patiently like a groom waiting for her bride to emerge through that double doors where Seulgi currently is.

Seungwan fiddles with her phone until she heard the doorknob clicks. She looks up to see her beautiful girlfriend steps through those doors completely different from when she entered.

Seulgi looks beautiful. Gorgeous. Mesmerizing. Ethereal.

She has always but the transformation really brings out the beauty that was hidden back in their tiny apartment in Seoul.

Seulgi smiles shyly as Seungwan stares at her shamelessly, not even blinking.

“What do you think.” She did a half-turn for Seungwan to judge.

“Beautiful.” Seungwan compliments without taking her eyes off Seulgi.

“Thanks.” Seulgi dips her head shyly, her cheeks turn slightly pink from the transformation. “You’re not bad yourself.” She returns the compliment when she noted the dark maroon dress that Seungwan chose for herself. A style that is rare on Seungwan as Seulgi is used to seeing her lazy girlfriend in sweats and hoodies most of the time.  

“Shall we?” Seungwan curves her arm into a triangle waiting for Seulgi’s arm to link to hers. 

--

The couple weaves through the crowd with Seugnwan leading. There are excitements in her steps as she can’t wait to introduce her gorgeous girlfriend to her cousins.

It took them much longer to transverse the lawn than expected because every few steps, they are stopped by a family friend or a business partner that wishes to befriend the Son heiress. They all approach her with like they are the best of friends and it didn’t take long for her to be fed up with it.

Every incoming nobody becomes the receiving end of a cold stare and a blunt rejection as the couple waste no time on them.  

Seulgi takes in the scene without saying much.

But this is far from the Seungwan that Seulgi knows. The Seungwan at school is always nice, friendly, and bubbly. She smiles warmly at people, be it friend or stranger, and always volunteer to help. She’s always the first to approach others and strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone.

That’s how Seulgi and Seungwan met, after all. Seungwan was the first to approach her at an art exhibit where they were both enjoying the arts of their peers. Under the impression that Seulgi is clueless about arts, Seungwan had offered to guide her through the types of style the artist chose for their piece.

“Wendy!” a tall body crashes into Seungwan and picks her up with a hug.

“Krystal?” Seungwan turns around to see a glint of joy on her cousin’s face. “Don’t tell me you flew all the way from San Francisco just to see me.” She questions in fluent English.

“You wish.” Krystal scoffs at the implication. “Jess and I just happened to be in the area and heard about your welcome home party.”

“Jessica is here!? Where is she?” Seungwan looks around to see if she can spot the older Jung around.

“Don’t bother. She and Tiffany probably ran off to some corner somewhere for privacy.” Seulgi couldn’t really understand most of what was said but she noted how Krystal winks after her statement with a mischievous smirk.

“Oh, this is my girlfriend, Kang Seulgi.” It’s like Seungwan finally realize that she’s here with someone because all of a sudden, she switches back to Korean and pulls Seulgi closer to introduce her to Krystal with a proud smile. “Seulgi, this is Jung Krystal.”

“Nice to meet you, Krystal.” Seulgi greets with a wide friendly grin as she studies the face. “You look familiar. Have you visited Korea before?”  

Seulgi can’t pinpoint where she has seen that face, but she knows she has seen it before.

“Quite a lot back then when I used to model for the Korea branch of Nylon, Elle, and Cosmopolitan but less so now.”

Seulgi eyes widen at the revelation. “You’re Jung Soojung!” She finally remembers where she has seen that face. It was all over Korea three years ago when the American-Korean model first debuted.

Then her exposure slowly recedes as she signs more and more exclusive contracts with brands like Nike and Versace in America, but Jung Soojung is still known as one of the most sought-after models around.

Krystal chuckles at the Korean name. It’s been a while since she was called that. Though her sister still does it sometimes when she is angry at her.

“Yea. My sister wanted me to go back to San Francisco and learn more about managing the business. She didn’t want me squandering about in Korea.”

Seulgi looks at her confusingly. Isn’t she a model? Isn’t that her career? Why would it be called ‘squandering’?

Seungwan senses the confusion and offers an explanation.

“Krystal is my third cousin from my mom’s side. Her family, the Jung, operates one of the biggest fashion conglomerates in the world. When her sister, Jessica, took over the CEO position, Krystal was called back to help out with the family business.”

Seulgi nods in understanding but internally, her head swirls as she tries to wrap her head around how big exactly is Seungwan’s family. Are all her family that well-off? Even the distant relatives?

Voices were drowning out from Seulgi’s head and next thing she knows, Krystal pulls her into a hug and bid her farewell. “It was nice meeting you, Seulgi. And welcome to the family!” Krystal waves happily as she walks off.

--

Seungwan continues to lead Seulgi through the property until she spots the people that she has been looking for.

“Wendy!” the loud booming voice waves them over.  

Seulgi didn’t think much of the name being called until Seugnwan leads her toward the voice that called out that name. Then she realizes that Krystal had called Seungwan Wendy before too!

“Joy!” Seungwan waves happily at that person and gives her a big hug.

“You have gotten shorter, couz.” The person named Joy teases Seungwan’s height by wrapping her arms about her shoulder and emphasizes the height difference.

“Whatever,” Seungwan immediately pushes Joy away in a playful manner.

"Joy. Stop picking on Wendy." A soft voice echoes from the back of the crowd and a petite yet mature woman reveals herself as she steps into the light.

The authority she commands is matched by her presence when Joy steps back and in line with her with just a sentence.

"Glad to have you home, Wendy." She gives off a motherly smile as she leans in to give Wendy a soft hug.

"I miss you too, Irene." Wendy returns the hug with just as much softness.

Gone is her playfulness with Krystal and snarkiness with Joy. In front of Irene, she is like a child in front of a mother and an elder sister, the roles that Irene has played in her life.

"And this is Seulgi, I presumed?" Irene nudges her head toward Seulgi and brings all the attention to the person standing next to Seungwan.

 

"Yes! This is my girlfriend, Kang Seulgi." Seungwan pulls her forward and introduces her to the people at the inner circle.

 

"Seulgi, this is my baby cousin, Joy Park. You can ignore her. She's annoying and bratty." Seungwan shoots Joy a smirk before continuing.

"And this is Irene Bae," Seulgi noted how Seungwan's tone changes from light-hearted to that of much respect. "She's the heiress to the Bae conglomerates. They hold the power to all of China's import and export as they control all the piers in the country. Her family and mine go way back."

 

 "Nice to meet you both." Seulgi shows off her friendly grin and extends her hand.

 

"Kang?" Joy grabs her hand excitedly without letting go. "The daughter of the petroleum family?" Her eyes spark with curiosity.

 

Who can blame her though? Her favorite cousin just up and left without as much as a goodbye 4 years ago and always fail to update her on her life in Korea. Wendy rejects her visit so many times that her curiosity peaks when she heard that Wendy will be coming home with someone.

 

Seulgi shakes her head in confusion. Petroleum? Her family owns a small bakery back in Ansang. That's about it.

 

Joy quirks her eyebrow to think what other known Kang family is out there.

 

"Kang So-ra's daughter?" Joy questions again.

 

Seulgi shakes her head again. Kang So-ra is a famous actress in Korea. Why would she even think that they are related?

 

"What other Kang families are there?" Joy questions more to herself than to Seulgi as she tries to recall all the Kangs that she has heard of.

 

Her inquiry makes Seulgi feels self-conscious about her own background now. Her family is not known enough for Joy to have heard of.

 

Both Seungwan and Irene can feel Seulgi's unease in the atmosphere.

 

"Joy." Irene was faster to step in before Seungwan. Her tone of voice was enough to tell Joy to stop it.

 

Seulgi can feel the tension in the atmosphere. She chuckles stiffly, trying to ease the tension.

 

"It's okay," Seulgi reassures them. "My family runs a small bakery in Ansang. I'm sure you don't know them. My parents make awesome bread though if you ever visit." She smiles forcefully as she notices the shock on Joy's face.

 

"I love bread!" Joy's expression brightens instantly to overshadow her shock and she quickly changes the subject.

 

Seulgi almost feels offended by the quick change. Is her background that mediocre to shock them? Seulgi has always held pride in her family's business. Their bakery is the most well-known in the town and everyone has nothing but praises for it.

 

But here in front of Seungwan's family, her background almost feels like a taboo.

"The Kang's bread is the best!" Seungwan finally steps in. "They always run out every time I try to get my hand on it." She praises the bread with as much pride as Seulgi has.

 

And Irene chimes in with a soft laugh to dissipate the awkwardness that has accumulated. "I would love to try them."

 

The conversation returns with much laughter as Joy continuously teases Seungwan or Wendy, as Seulgi learned finally that that is Seungwan's English name.

 

Seulgi has grown to like Joy and Irene a lot. They are easy to talk to despite the initial blunder and the embarrassing childhood stories of her girlfriend are a plus in their conversation.

 

And the feeling was definitely mutual because Joy is more than excited to share with Seulgi all these stories.

 

"Come on! I'll show you Wendy's ugly gallery." Joy grabs Seulgi's writs and pulls her along to head into the house. Seulgi can't help but gets pulled along.

 

Irene and Wendy chuckle at the childish antics as they lag behind the two in front.

--

Joy opens the door to one of the rooms inside the mansion and lets Seulgi takes in the sight of all the paintings being hung in the gallery. In the center of the room is a giant grand piano sitting on a semi-raised stage.

 

"This is Wendy's thinking room." Joy explains. "This is where she hides out whenever she gets in trouble with her parents."

 

Seulgi looks around at all the painting signed off with the year and the initial ws and noted how the art changes over time.

 

Bright, colorful hues overlay the earlier pieces and Seulgi can feel the dark shadows loom overhead in Seungwan's later pieces.

 

Seulgi is curious as to what causes the change. The differences are as obvious as day and night. It is like they are from two different people. A Seungwan and a Wendy.