Chapter 1: A Stolen Kiss

Tender Hearts

I shouldn’t have come to this party. Why did I let them talk me into coming here? Summer Bash? This makes it the third this week. I don’t hate partying, it just I recently, well yesterday, I had a party. I turned twenty-one and against my better advice, my friends, the same one who dragged me to this party, convinced that it was a righteous thing. So, I gave in, just like I gave in today to. They can be pretty convincing. It’s summer and yet there are still so many people at the dorm, no wonder UCLA turns into a huge party feast especially with only eleven days left of summer break.

A haze lingers over the dorm room, smelling like weed and beer, and music rattles the floor. I scan the room, it was packed, wall to wall, shoulder to shoulder. I stood in the back, watching my friends on the dance floor, all drunk or buzzed on god knows what. It was late and at this point, I was ten seconds away from sneaking out and leaving them behind, until I saw him. A few feet away from where I was standing. A handsome Asian guy with thick fluffy black hair, short nose bridge, like a button and full pink lips.

He had his eyes closed while dancing, oblivious to my staring, he was on another planet, swaying to the music. His clothes were ordinary yet complimented his pitch black hair- he wore all black. A tight black Nirvana t-shirt with the word Nirvana in Neon Blue and a square with blue and red image and black skinny jeans. I could tell he was built. There was something familiar about him, it reminded me of someone I haven’t seen or thought of in a long time.

 

The guy opens his eyes, catching my gaze, I quickly avert my eyes, taking a sip of my beer. I slowly glance back up and he was gone, I look around, but he was nowhere. I sigh, disappointed, he was the only guy worth looking at, at this party.

 

“Dude you are so lame,” says Dahyun as she approaches me. She was not drunk, Dahyun isn’t much of a drinker, unlike her girlfriend, Mina. I stare at her, for a seconds before resuming my search. I sigh, giving up,

“This party is lame.”

“No, it’s not,” says Dahyun, “You have to mingle, why to stand in the corner like a loser. Come on let’s dance.”

“No,” I protest, but she wasn’t having. She grabs my hand pulling me, as she heads for the dance floor. We squeezed through the sweaty bodies of drunk and high people. The smell of weed and beer becoming prominent as my brain started pounding against my skull. I’m amazed I haven’t passed out from the mix smell in the air. We finally found our friends, Taehyung and Mina who were in the middle of the crowd.

“Wow look who decided to join us,” says Taehyung laughing, “I thought you went home.”

“I was about to,” I reply, inhaling and exhaling quickly, regretting it. The smell of weed was stronger on the dance floor, but I decided to indulge them for a few minutes before coming up with an excuse to leave.

 

I didn’t last long, I didn’t hate to weed or beer, I hated the crowd, the body odor, the beer, and the weed, it was like standing in a field of dirty clothes. I never understood why people mixed the two, just choose one, you are either drinking or getting high. I clear my throat,

“Hey, I am going to get a fresh of breath air!”

“What!” they exclaimed together. I sigh.

“I’m gonna go outside for a bit!”

“Okay!”

 

As I make my way outside, I place the empty beer bottle on the table, heading towards the door. As soon as I step outside of the dorm, I inhale deeply, the nice summer night, caught between hot and cold. Summers in California was interesting, even though there was a breeze, one could still tell it was summer. The blazing sun left its mark, and no amount of breeze will make it better.

I glance up the sky, it was pitch black, I look at my watch, it was an hour past midnight.

“Feels pretty nice huh?”

I jump, startled, turning around, my eyes widen, it was him. I check over my shoulder, just in case, he was talking to someone else.

“Are you talking to me?”

The guy breaks out into a smile, “Nah, I’m talking to a ghost.” I scoffed, no need for sarcasm. I chuckle, gazing at him, now that he was standing a few feet away from me, he wasn’t as short as he appeared, he was maybe 2-3 inches shorter than me, and I could tell he was Korean, he really looks like him. He glances at me, and my mind immediately flashed back to that summer day, nine years ago. I know those monolid brown eyes, it has to be him.

“Do I have something on my face?”

“Huh?”

“You keep staring at me.”

I chuckled, how do I ask? Maybe it’s not him? I clear my throat, urging myself to just ask, instead of looking like a weirdo.

“Um…is your name Jimin by the way?

His warm brown eyes narrowed, as he turned his whole body to face me, taking a few steps back,

“How do you know my name?”

I gasp. There is no way this is a coincidence, it really is him, Jimin. I laugh as he stares at me, freaked out,

“I thought that was you,” I say, “You don’t remember me.”

“Um…should I?”

“Well…it was a long time ago, so, I’m Jungkook,” I introduce myself, “We knew each other when kids were.”

Jimin’s jaw opens as he stares at my face, the lamp was bright enough for us to study each other’s face. His eyes widen,

“No way!” he exclaims, “Jungkook!”

 

We stare at each other in silent, for what seemed like an eternity, overwhelmed and letting the discovery of meeting each other after nine years sink in. We both laugh, breaking the silence,

“Wow, this-this is so weird,” he says, with a huge grin. I nod my head,

“It’s tripping alright, who knew after nine years, we’ll meet up at such a lame party.” He laughs,

“Don’t let my friend hear you,” he teases.

“Oh, your friend is throwing this party?”

“Yeah,” he says, “It’s alright, I won’t say anything to him though.”

 

Jimin chuckles, brushing his hair back, as I rub my neck, nervous. Another silence, my heartbeat was pounding so loud, I could barely think. Jimin and I met when we both used to live in Busan, I was thirteen and he was fifteen. It was one summer but we became the best of friends. We were both staying at our grandparents in the country; he was visiting from the states and I was there with my mother. After summer ended, we said our goodbyes and promised to keep in touch, but he left something that stayed with me to this day. I stare at him, my cheeks flushed red as the image flashes in my head. We hugged and out of nowhere, he kissed me. On the lips, a quick peck that sent my teenage body into a shock. He stole my first kiss. And just like that, he disappeared, and I moved on with my life.

“Um…” says Jimin, his voice trailing off, brushing his hair back again, “Um- “

“Oh, there you are!” a voice comes from behind us. Interrupted, we both turn around, as Taehyung, Dahyun approached us with Mina on Taehyung’s back, completely passed out. That was my cue the party was over. I glance at Jimin, I wanted to continue talking, there was so much to catch up on. I should at least ask for his number or something.

I clear my throat, “Well, that’s my cue.”

Jimin smiles, staring at them, Mina and Taehyung wave at him and he waves back at them.

“Um…so I’ll see you around.”

“Um…yeah,” I say disappointed.

“Come on Jungkook, Mina is getting heavy,” urges Taehyung, struggling to keep her on his back.

I sigh, clenching my fist. Just ask him for his number, I cursed at myself. I take a deep breath,

“Jimin- “

“Jungkook- “

We both call at the same time, embarrassed,

“What is it?” I ask.”

“Can I have your number?” he asks, softly, as his locks eyes with me, making blush as my heart danced, getting ready to leap out of my chest. Unable to find the words, I nod my head. He hands me his phone, I put in my number. I press the call button and my phone rings. We smile at each other.

“I’ll see you around,” he says, putting his phone back in his pocket and walking away. I watch him, playing it cool but internally screaming on the outside. My mind was in shambles, still unable to believe that was him. Jimin, my childhood crush.