wheesa ; muse / 01

drips and dribbles

“Sorry, is this seat taken?” An unfamiliar voice snapped Wheein from her daydream. She shook her head and smiled sweetly, yet internally cursing the young girl who had asked for the chair. Poor girl has too many friends and needs more than 4 seats to occupy the clique. Wheein chuckled as soon as the girl left. Sometimes, she's thankful she doesn't have much friends… well, she only has one.. Yongsun unnie. She's practically a sister to Wheein since they've grown up together ever since the death of Wheein's parents. Yongsun's parents took Wheein in, and raised her up as well as they did with Yongsun.

 

Sitting near the entrance of the cafe allowed Wheein to see how different people live their own lives. Dog owners walking their pets, parents trying to stop their children from running away from them and… of course, couples smiling brightly while holding each others hands tightly, as if their lives depends on it. Wheein sighed. When will I ever feel such happiness?

 

It wasn't difficult for Wheein to realize that she liked those of the same gender as her, but it was difficult for her to come into terms with it. Coming from a conservative small town, everyone knew who each other were. She knew everyone had a narrow mindset towards those who liked the same gender as them which led her to keep her uality to herself. Even Yongsun, her most trusted, doesn't even know about this. It wasn't easy trying to keep her uality a secret from everyone around her, specifically Yongsun and her mom. They have been poking into her bubble with comments such as “Don't you have a boyfriend?”, “Come on, don't tell me you're still single…” Wheein admits she's tired from her constant textbook answers, but what else could she do?

 

It was almost four in the evening, now that Wheein had realized and the cafe was almost empty. Besides her, there was a couple at the other corner of the cafe and two of Wheein's neighbours queueing for their desired food choice. Looking down, her sketchbook remained empty. She sighed. She hated having this thing where people would say is a writer's block, but replace writer with artist. She hated having nothing to sketch or to draw of. She felt useless. More so when her final exams for Arts were just around the corner. She needed to complete five artworks by the end of the month, and so far? She has nothing. Blame the damn artist block. Nothing was motivating her to start sketching. She wanted to gjve up so bad. She asked herself again and again, Why did I decided to pursue Arts? and her answers would continuously and constantly be “I love everything and anything about the Arts.” Yet as of lately, she lost her passion for it. Wheein herself couldn't understand why. Feeling so demoralized over the sudden lost of interest irritated her. In addition, the theme for the Arts paper this year is Love and Affection. Wheein knows nothing about Love… what more affection? 5 artworks on it, how could Wheein possibly finish it on time?

 

Wheein thought on packing up her art supplies which were placed everywhere on the round table that she had been sitting on daily for the past 8 days, but decided to rest for awhile. Folding her arms, she placed them on the table and her head goes down as followed and she rested her head on her arms. She was exhausted from squeezing her brain juices out. What is love?

 

Just as she was about to close her eyes and go into a deep thought process - or sleep in Wheein's case - she hears the bells ringing which signaled that a customer had stepped in. Normally, Wheein couldn't care less whenever a new customer came in, but this… person whoever they were, held such powers that Wheein felt attracted to her. Wheein sat up straight and took a glance over at the counter. The moment she did, she swore to God she saw the most beautiful woman to ever exist. God really took his time sculpting her.

 

The way her tanned skin glowed, thanks to the reflection created by the mirror glass walls. The way her crop top showed just an inch of skin but clearly, anyone could tell she worked out by the sight of her defined abs. The way her Nike track pants would have looked ordinary to any other person, yet she made it look like she owned Nike. The way her jet black hair was tied into a loose ponytail made her look awfully beautiful. How, in any way, could she be real?

 

Wheein tried not to eavesdrop but curiosity got the best out of her. “Hi, excuse me? I saw that the cafe was looking for part time workers. I'm interested, is there an interview that I have to prepare for?” Beautiful girl working part time?  She couldn't be any older than me... If she started working here, I think I'll just rot and die here. Wheein chuckled to herself. The barista at the counter gave the beautiful girl a slip of paper and asked her to fill in her details… and she could start working as soon as possible. “Thank you very much. I'll start working tomorrow if that's possible?” The barista nod and went off to tend to other patrons. Wheein wasn't sure when she started to stare at the beautiful girl, but it evidently made the girl walk towards Wheein.

 

“Sorry, but is there something wrong with my face or my outfit? You've… been staring at me since the moment I walked in.” Oh . Wheein stuttered before she could coherently reply to the beautiful girl in front of her.

 

“Uh-h, sorry. I was just… trying to get a clearer view of the couple you were blocking. I'm… trying to sketch them for my art paper.” Wheein internally slapped herself for being such a loser.What a lame excuse. You could've done better.

 

“Are you sure? Because it seems that your sketchbook is pretty much… empty." Not only beautiful, she's observant as hell too.

 

“Well… okay. Yeah.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Checking you out…” Wheein's cheeks turned brighter than any tomato. The beautiful girl chuckled.

 

“Thanks, I guess?” There was an awkward silence between them before the standing lady continued their conversation.

 

“Sorry, I'm Hyejin.” She offered her hand out.

 

“Wheein. Jung Wheein.” Wheein replied as she took out her hand and shook Hyejin's.

 

“This is really awkward… Haha. I hope to see you around, Wheein!”

 

“Sure thing. Sorry for staring… You're really pretty.” Since when did I become so blunt.

 

“Haha it's alright, and no no. I'm far from being pretty,” Hyejin looked at her watch. “I have got to go. I'll see you soon?”

 

Hyejin gave Wheein a gentle smile and Wheein just realized of the cute beauty mole she had. “We'll definitely see each other soon.”

 

Hyejin left the cafe after thanking the barista at the counter. Wheein could see where Hyejin was walking, and she earnestly hoped that she lived somewhere near her. Hyejin had a aura that was intimidating, but Wheein didn't mind it for the personality she had. It was only small talk, but Wheein knew Hyejin was a sweet girl with a pure heart.

 

It was as if she was hit by a truck, she gathered all her materials sprawled on the table and went home. She knew what, and who, was she going to sketch for her Arts paper. Hyejin.