The Challenge

The Selection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gyeongbokgung: Day of the selection

Jong Kook had managed to sneak out of his pavilion while wearing a soldier's armor he got from asking Yang Se Chan, his most trusted eunuch to smuggle it for him. He glanced at the immense amount of women entering the palace and a hint of red began to crawl up his cheeks. He never knew that that many people wanted to be the woman by his side. Se Chan snickered as he took a peek at how shy his King was.

"Ya what are you doing here astray from the re-" A soldier gasped when he saw Jong Kook's trademark small eyes and charismatic build. "Kill me Jeo-"

Jong Kook's eye twinkled in amusement as he slowly approached the soldier. "I will kill you if you call me Jeonha while I'm sneaking out like this." 

As the soldier skittered away, Jong Kook began to realize that there were simply too many women. The selection if continued with all these women will take up too much time and they'll spend more money than estimated. And Jong Kook was one thrifty man who hates to overspend.

"Ya, Se Chan, tell the guards to close the gate doors. I'll only do the selection with the women who are already within the palace."

Se Chan nodded as he immediately scurried away to inform the guards of the sudden order. The guards then announced to the women entering the palace to leave. As Jong Kook observed the chaotic state of the women outside the palace wailing and even trying to bribe the guards, he noticed one maiden who happened to barely get in the palace, pumping her fist in relief as her doe-like eyes beamed with happiness. And unconciously, Jong Kook's heart started to beat like a drum being hit on very rapidly during festivals.

"She's pretty."

~

Seong Im's lips were trembling as she saw women of similar age with her regardless whether or not they're aristocrats, commonfolk, or even slaves, banned from entering even a step into the palace. She was the last one to truly be able to enter the palace and she had already thanked her lucky stars infinitely in her mind. If she hadn't been able to enter the palace, she wouldn't have been able to get any compensation money for partaking in the selection. That money is what she's here for and only money for her family will make the determined maiden stay.

Seong Im felt that someone was looking at her and immediately turned her head into the direction. A soldier quickly turned his head away as he then observed the marching women entering the palace courtyard. She shrugged, knowing that a palace guard won't even take notice of her, let alone the king.The dazzling ornaments and interior designs surrounding the palace then attracted her, swiftly sweeping away any thoughts of the guard in her mind.

"What are you doing? Hurry up and get in line!" Seo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter