The Entrance

The Selection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cheon’s residence

Seong Im ignored the disgruntled matronly ladies leaving their doorstep as her expression contorted into disbelief. Ever since she was young, she grew up knowing that in order to be successful in life, she has to work hard for it by herself. Her eyes became wistful as she experienced nostalgia. Besides helping her mother bake and sell cakes, Seong Im did a lot of things to be able to satisfy her hunger for knowledge.

In order to be able to read and write, she hunted wildlife creatures such as rabbits, birds, and deer at a forest far away from her home. She hunted them with a sling she created herself and marketed the animals she hunted in order to pay for her costly school fees. At night, she used to sneak into a soldiers' training site she encountered one day while she was hunting. There, she stole a bow with arrows and tried to make one herself which she successfully did after dozens of tries and used it to hunt. When her mum was sick, they didn't have enough money to afford the medicine. Therefore Seong Im hiked through the forests in order to find the curative herb. As a result of her perseverance to get anything she craved, she's now versatile as she can read, write, hunt, and even save lives. And enrolling to the selection in order to marry the most influential man in Joseon, a.k.a. King Kim Jong Kook, goes against her ideals.

"Eomma, you know that I am capable enough to not be married off to anyone just yet. I should be here at home helping you knead the dough and bake cakes together with you." Seong Im protested to her mother as she grasped her hands, refusing the opportunity that many would have died for. "I can't take part in the selection and just leave you alone. I don't want to leave you and Seong Moon."

”Seong Im ah, you do know that our household has always been in an economic crisis. By going to partake in the selection, we could help out Seong Moon to be a scholar. When he does, he could help sustain us and you could leave if you wanted to.” Gwi Ja coaxed her daughter as she gently rubbed her hands. “I know this is hard for you, but in order for us to be able to continue living together, we all have to sacrifice something for now. Let’s do it for us as a family Seong Im ah. This is a once in a lifetime selection where the Queen could be anyone including us ordinary folk. And since a lot of people applied especially aristocrats, you might not make it, so it’s fine.”

Seong Im bit to stop her tears. She felt frustrated as she too wanted to be a scholar but she knew that women can’t be scholars. Her heart broke as she knew that she can’t do much as a woman and the highest position she could ever achieve in her life was to be the King’s main consort. She clenched her hands, determined that she’ll only enter the selection for her family. “Alright, eomma I’ll do it.”

Gyeongbokgung

“WHAT!” Hye Seon’s furrowed eyebrows hinted anger and she gripped her chest as her breathing got uneven. “You made the selection open for all the women in Joseon? Have you gone mad? The Queen should be someone of noble birth with grace to complement

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter