Ch 3

Highlight

“How was your week, Yoongi?”

Dr. Kim was dressed in an interesting fashion today as well. His navy blue jacket and blue jeans clashed with his orange shirt and pastel hair. It didn’t exactly look bad, just… interesting.

Yoongi shrugged. “It was fine, I guess.” He stared at his fingers. He wasn’t sure what to say. He’d never been good with small talk.

He looked up at Dr. Kim, who had a small smile on his face. At first, Yoongi was concerned that his smile was judgemental, but after a few seconds, he realized the smile was genuine and welcoming. Yoongi moved his eyes to the floor, though he relaxed a bit.

“Anything interesting happen?” The man obviously was trying to get Yoongi to open up.

Yoongi shrugged again. “Not in particular. My roommate finally got a contract.”

“Oh?” Dr. Kim raised a brow, curiosity showing on his face.

“He’s a dancer. A couple weeks ago he got a job offer from some company. BigHit, I think. Yesterday he signed his contract. He’s a backup dancer.”

Dr. Kim looked interested. “And you? You never told me what you do.”

“Oh, um…” Yoongi didn’t really know how to explain. It wasn’t as if he had an actual job. “I write songs I guess. Lyrics and music.”

Out of his peripheral vision, Yoongi saw Dr. Kim shift his sitting position. He was indeed interested. “Really? What kind of music?”

“Any really.” Yoongi shrugged once again. “I mean, I’m best at rap, but I’ll write just about anything.”

“And can you rap?”

“Sorta. I’m at singing though.” Yoongi laughed.

Dr. Kim laughed. “What a mood,” He said with a smile.

Yoongi chuckled. “Honestly, my version of singing is just screaming lyrics.”

“Mine is sounding bad on purpose so people won’t know whether or not I actually can sing.”

It was Yoongi’s turn to laugh. “Same. Hobi and I have gotten complaints about our sing-yelling being too loud.”

“I’m guessing Hobi is your roommate?” Dr. Kim assumed.

Yoongi nodded. “Jung Hoseok, the man who once played the Wii music on the recorder with his nose, only to post it online.”

Dr. Kim raised an eyebrow. “He sounds legendary.”

Yoongi smiled. “He so is.”

His comment was followed by silence, and Yoongi suddenly realized just how gay he’d sounded.

“What I mean is that he’s pretty cool,” Yoongi added, trying to save himself.

Namjoon gave him a smile, the kind old ladies give you when you try to lie to them.

Yoongi sighed. He’d always prided himself in being hard to read, but he supposed his skills were no match to the art of psychiatry. Oh well. He would accept his fate. He looked down at his shoes, not saying anything else.

“Sorry, you can change the topic. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

“No, you’re right. Lately, I’ve been looking at him a bit… differently.” Yoongi shifted his position awkwardly. He’d never admitted this to anyone, and really, the only reason he was stating it now was because of doctor-patient confidentiality. Yoongi hadn’t even admitted it to himself, thinking it foolish to fall in love with someone he could never have.

...Wait a second. Yoongi wasn’t in love. He just found the guy charming. And cute. And sweet. That’s all.

Yoongi obviously had some issues to work out. Fortunately, though, he had Namjoon, even if he wasn’t a friend. Yoongi was beginning to appreciate the constant nagging of his house-mate.

 

“So, today I had a mom tell me that she’s going to kill someone if her kid sings any more multiplication songs. She said she’s having flashbacks to her elementary days.”

Namjoon laughed at his husband’s statement. He could practically see the stressed woman close to ripping her ears off as her child recited the ‘3s’ song once more. “Woman probably hasn’t slept in days.”

Seokjin nodded. “She looked like it. I’m pretty sure she’s the one whose husband left her for the babysitter.”

“The one who works for the ER?”

“That’s the one.”

“Man, I feel for her.” Namjoon was somehow able to remember the lives of just about anyone. His patients, Seokjin’s students, both of their coworkers… He felt the instinctive need to keep everyone’s issues logged in his mind.

He felt his husband’s fingers interlock with his. “You’re the sweetest, Doctor.”

Namjoon scoffed. “Oh please. You’re the sweetest, Mr. 'I once almost died attempting to save a student from getting run over’ Kim Seokjin.”

Seokjin smiled and took a bite out of his kimbap. “That was one time.”

Namjoon raised an eyebrow. “And there was the crayon incident.”

Both of their faces crinkled, remembering the incident. “Ew, don’t bring that up, especially when I’m eating.”

“Oh, and then there was the time with the lighter,” Namjoon continued.

“Okay, okay, I get it. I’m the greatest.”