008

Bound By Duty

008.

               Naeun was on her knees. She was surrounded by cement walls and her ten fingers were planted onto the cold floor. There were no windows and only had one main door. She’d been here for what it seemed hours. She couldn’t count the specific time she was left alone in this room, but her fingers started to numb from the constricted movement. Alan made sure that she understood the procedure that she will undergo. She was confined in this introverted room to receive her punishment—or Alan’s choice of words: disciplinary actions.

               She couldn’t hear anything except thumps of footsteps below her knees. Better yet, she was almost sure that somebody had died in this very room as there were fade stains in the right corner of the wall. When Naeun was spacing out of her mind, she felt thumps of a set of high-heels on her knees. The steps were getting nearer. Naeun whipped her head to the door, hoping to see one pair of dark eyes, but she was greeted with a pair of fancy sunglasses.

               “Hi, Naeun.” Erika stepped in after she closed the door. She made sure she stopped in front of Naeun before she could take her sunglasses off.

               Naeun glued her eyes on the pavement.

               “Sorry for the delay,” She waved her sunglasses in dismissal. “You made quite a ruckus up there.”

               “I’m sorry for the disturbance, Erika.” Naeun tried her most submissive tone.

               “Oh, no worries,” Naeun could feel Erika smirk from the back of her head. “It was all good fun.”

               Naeun stayed quiet.

               Erika squatted, stayed still for a while before she could tip up Naeun’s chin to observed her face. Naeun felt a rush of cold around her. She could feel her heartbeats went faster and then it dropped into her stomach pit, causing her head slightly spin. Whatever Naeun was feeling, Erika seemed enjoyed what she had done with Naeun because she pursed her lips before humming a tone. Her finger tilted Naeun’s face right, left, right, and left by the chin.

               “I suppose I couldn’t hurt your face,” Erika started. “You have a lucky nose. It’ll simply be too shameful.”

               Erika pulled out of what looked like a whip from her back pocket. She let the strip of leather flows out onto the floor, exposing Naeun to her next fate. Naeun felt a lump in as Erika caressed the strip with her index finger. Her knees began to feel numb but she kept it away to herself, unwilling to expose her weakness to Erika. She knew Erika found a loophole in her nervous system and she didn’t intend to let her guard down like she did before. She wanted to make sure she learned her lesson.

               “Tell me, Naeun,” Erika’s black eyes glimmered imperiously. “How do you feel?”

               Naeun carefully stitched out her reason. “I realize that I’m guilty of breaching the contract.”

               “Not that, honey,” Erika looked too amused for a disagreement. “This. I think this isn’t fair for you – don’t you think?”

               Naeun knew that Erika purposely paused, letting the absence of words filled the cement walls and the limited air around her. It was intentionally said to suffocate. Naeun didn’t know how to answer, or the begin explaining. Her thoughts were rushing to form the perfect answer but the words dissipate like so much smoke when Erika continued as she kept boring her eyes onto Naeun’s mercilessly. “I guess I rather make it simpler for you: Yes or no?”

               Erika waited. Naeun found herself muttering the words, “… yes.”

               Erika barked in laughter. It was unnerving to hear the least. “This is exactly why I like you Naeun! I can see you through and through.”

               Naeun stayed quiet. Her lips would’ve trembled if she didn’t clench her jaw to make it shut tight. She couldn’t feel her toe fingers. Her heart was leaping in and out of her ribs. The thumps of her heartbeat are too demanding to be unheard. She was sure it echoed off the walls as confirmation of Erika’s dominance. She could feel her fists forming tightly on her lap, alarmed.

               Erika seemed to sense her dismay because Naeun felt her dominance shifted as she sighed. The walls around her whispered of a softer – approachable energy. “You’re not worth of a whip, Naeun.”

               “Alan made sure—”

               The older woman cut her. “I’m not of his subordinate. I will do what I please.”

               What exactly will she do?

               What kind of punishment should she bare against her shoulder?

               To Naeun’s surprise, the woman pulled her up by the arms. She trembled against her support as her tired legs provide hold of her weight. She sensed blood rushing out – flowing onto her legs again. She felt relieved. It took her a while for her legs to adapt with her new position before Naeun could let go of Erika’s hold. She hadn’t realized that she had fisted her palms too tight until they bare knots of her nails. She looked at Erika whose back has leaned against the wall. She watched her, posture relaxed and not as intimidating as before. As Naeun felt fit, she said, “Thank you.”

               She didn’t answer her thanks. She just hummed in a questioning manner. She was probing of her before she said, “We are in the same boat, Naeun. I hope you don’t see me as something less.”

               Naeun didn’t know how to answer that because she wasn’t the best at lying. Erika would’ve picked up her lie just by a sniff if she told her a yes. It would also be a lie if she told her the latter answer – simply because she was confused. After a few months acclimatizing on her new life, she still hadn’t figure out who she could trust. Jieun was winning by far. And then … Jongin. She had no reason to break the trust of her own boss, especially after the little stunt she pulled.

               Her mind shifted briefly to Jongin and how they had been connected – foreheads and rhythmic breaths. Something leapt out of her stomach and then it was gone. She wondered what it could be. She wondered about Jongin and how riveting his expensive cologne as he closed the gap between them. The sound of her Papa’s heartbeat through the machine. His confident strides along the hallway and how those people with guns yield over his presence. Something tingled below her.

               “I do believe whips are unnecessary at the present,” The information shoved through her thoughts. She was back. Erika continued, “Your prince in shining armor is protective over you.”

               “What do you mean?”

               “He raised against Alan. He parlayed for you.” Erika held her amused gaze.

               “I’m sorry, Erika. I didn’t mean to cause such a problem.”

               Erika waved in declination. “Honestly, this might be the slip I need.”

               Naeun didn’t understand. Erika didn’t say any further and Naeun didn’t want to pry any farther. Then, steps bellowed through the walls. It was growing closer. Erika’s energy shifted as before. Her gaze darkened as she caressed her whip. It made Naeun’s breath hitched, but there was something different waver around Erika. It was definitely lighter than before. Erika held her chin, “Follow me.”

               It wasn’t a demand but rather a suggestion. It was convincing enough for Naeun to return to her designated position as Erika’s hand pushed her shoulder gently. She sat with her feet folded against her thighs. Her hands were on her lap, forming a fist. But her face still gazed on the older woman, trying to pinpoint her motive as she caressed her whip. She commanded, “Pick up your for me, kid.”

               Naeun obeyed. Erika started to circle around her and stopped just behind her. The dread in wasn’t there anymore. It altered into a question mark. She didn’t quite reach to where she meant to go by her sudden act. A little space in her chest caught on the hidden waver between each phrase. They sounded like they were practiced in a very meticulous manner. As the whip brushed her calves, the door opened – or rather pushed at because it bounced against the wall, making an uncomfortable messy sound. It appeared to be Jongin, his gaze was dark as it bore past Naeun.

               Naeun heard Erika greeted, “Ah. Hello, In-law! You’re just in time for the main course.”

               Jongin didn’t say anything, instead he strode to her. His arms made no announcement to laced with hers and pulled her up. Jongin’s hand placed itself on her jaw. He scrutinized her face, turning her head the gentlest possible to see any possible fresh marks made by his sister in-law. Then, he proceeded his examination to her wrists. He turned her wrists exposed, brushing his thumb over the wrist through her opened palms. He wavered when he reached the knots Naeun accidentally made before brushing them as well as if he wished it to go away. It didn’t go away and Naeun was so ashamed.

               Jongin peered on her calves before he could say in a callous manner, “Sister, she needs no punishment as of today. I make sure to convey the punishment in a private manner.”

               Erika pouted. “And here I thought I would be entertained today.”

               “It is more advisable to entertain your own husband.” Jongin bit back.

               “He has had plenty last night.” Erika gave the last blow. It must have been her triumph because Jongin had wasted no time in dragging Naeun out of the damned room. His steps were firm, but the hold in his hand was still gentle. It never tugged her. It even waited for her when she wavered on her steps. Naeun was dragged to the hall and out on the front porch where a black sedan – his sedan – had waited for his arrival. His hand eventually left her wrist as he opened the back door for her. Naeun went in as quickly as she could, managing to avoid his gaze.

               The car ride was loud in its silence. Tian didn’t even bother to play the radio, or Jongin’s usual playlist that has been downloaded in the system. He just rode. Even the ticking sound of the blinkers had turned into a comfortable sound for her. She sensed Jongin’s tense presence on her left shoulder. It made her shudder and she hoped he didn’t see that. His presence bothered her and that probably because he seemed too near to her. His presence was always so distant as if it made boundaries, but today seemed like the walls vanished. It sent signals of what he was probably feeling and Naeun found herself thinking for the worst.

               When they got home, the house was empty. Naeun thought Jieun would be there to save the day, but she decided to mind her own business when Naeun needed her to be a busybody. Jongin turned to the open kitchen. Naeun watched Jongin grabbed a glass of water and chugged it all at once. Naeun found sore of dryness. But it wasn’t the parchedness that kept her stood still in the living room. The words in were begging to be sounded. No. He’s mad – maybe later. But later was thrown into the oblivion when Jongin asked, “Why are you still here?”

               She almost winced at the sharpness of his words. But, she had to say it before her brain prolonged the thoughts. “I’m sorry.”

               There was a pause before he laughed as if her words were an oblivious statement. “Of course, you should.”

               He circled the kitchen counter and onto her. She took a small step back as he had tried to close the comfortable gap between them. He glanced below her eyes and back to her eyes. He could see the shimmering anger following those pupils. Then, it shifted. She knew that his defensive walls were rebuilding itself. In a matter of seconds, there was only a firm gaze he had used upon his meetings – the ones that outwitted his opponents.

               She caught the smell of his cologne as his chest heaved. “You won’t ever pull stunts like that. If you ever feel like you should visit your Papa, then you can ask for my permission and I shall allow you unless it bothers my business schedule. You’re also on a probation which means you’ll be forbidden to go out on your own, or with Jieun, for some time. Should you ever need to go out in a manner of emergency, I’d have to come with you. This is your added rules until the probation is lifted.”

               “I understand, sir.”

               “Should you ever pull a stunt like that, Naeun,” He paused. “I can’t protect you anymore. You would only have Alan and Father to concern.”

               Naeun swallowed on her parched throat. “Yes, sir. I—Thank you for your protection. I was in no mean of putting you in jeopardy.”

               “Erika talked to you before you ran way?” Jongin threw the question.

               “Yes, sir.”

               “Don’t trust her,” Jongin said. “She tends to tripped a wire on your mind. You felt what happened after you talked to him, right?”

               Naeun nodded.

               “I don’t trust her, and so should you.”

               As he heaved another sigh, he grabbed her left arm, curling the fingers until all it left was the index finger pointing out. His index finger was placed onto hers. He put it gently across her chest. “You have to know: We don’t use our feelings when we’re in the field.” He trailed their fingers to her temple. “We use this. Outwit them. You can only rely on your brain. It is the most logical sense and your strongest opponent.” He trailed their fingers on her lips, only he paused for a moment. Naeun couldn’t focus on anything else except his touch on her lips and his lips that wavered. She could feel their chest fall and rise at the same motion. “… use your lips to make true of your logical brain.”

               His words faltered. The tone hung on the air and Naeun felt Jongin’s finger – only Jongin’s – brushed on her lower lip. He brushed as if the lip was a canvas he was meant to paint with colors. And for a mere thought, Maybe. She could feel something below her twitching nervously. It itched her so much that it heightened every sense that she had. She could feel the intensity of temperature around the room – hot, warm. His breaths blow on her lips and her nose had to savor a flash of sweet, dewy citrus.

               “Tell me Naeun,” He hovered close to her lips. The words in his mouth breathed mint on her very parted lips. Peppermint. His favorite peppermints that he keeps on his suit and car. “Have you had your first kiss?”

               Senior year. “Yes.”

               The taste of his peppermint clashed on . He had crashed his lips onto hers with his tongue gently brush the upper of . His lips tumbled back and forth onto hers and she savor every taste that he gave. The kiss was passionate and fire – not rage, but frustration. His hands were on her jaw, framing her posture as if Naeun would go somewhere. Perhaps, but not right now. Then, she began to put her tongue into his. He let out a small hiss without untangle their lips. Then, her thigh had bumped into something hard. It didn’t help with the growing convulsion on her below.

               Jongin retracted and asked her in the eyes. It is still hungry for more. “Are you a ?”

               Naeun didn’t answer and Jongin took her silence. He parted his body and ran his fingers through his disheveled hair. He had cursed under his breath as he swayed to move farther. Naeun could see his eyes gleamed down, recanting into its neutral control. She knew that he wanted more, and she wanted too for a while.

               Jongin didn’t say a word. He turned back and left her alone for his locked bedroom. Naeun had kept her body still. She didn’t know how to react and she felt a sudden drop in her chest – a heavy one. But she knew this was bound to happen. It was never meant to be done and she should drop the euphoric taste of the kiss. And as she lied in bed, curled up in her nightgown, she couldn’t lie: he is a damn good kisser. One hell of one.

               She couldn’t sleep that day. The itching on her below didn’t stop for a while, nor did the memory of her kiss.