004

Bound By Duty

    004.

            Naeun woke up with a slight pain in her cheek and a major migraine. But she was in her room, tucked in neatly. Her room was dark and the moonlight slipped into the curtains. She took a wild guess that it was only a few hours after the event happened. She didn’t remember anything though—completely out.

                She massaged her temple for a bit, trying to settle down the migraine. She decided to find the medicine box—wherever it was. So, she took a quick stroll to the bathroom, and the living room. She maintained small and quiet steps to not awake the beast. Her fingers traced along the walls, searching for a standard box in the dark. Then, she continued to the kitchen; opening each cabinets and search for any medicine now.

                “Are you looking for painkiller?” A sound resonated mischievously behind her.

                She turned around and saw Jongin on the counter. He looked calm with a scotch glass in his hand. His grin shone out the most. Naeun’s body turned cold. Her fingers curled against the counter behind her. Jongin’s eyes shifted on something on his counter then went back at her. Naeun looked slowly, noticing a gleaming aluminum. The painkiller.

                “I’ve been waiting forever to give you this painkiller.” He said.

                Naeun’s eyes were wavering in doubt. She was still afraid of him: the reputation and the world he was in. It was a nightmare and he was a beast. It was like he ruled the night world. One word from him and people begged and followed him. No person should hold that power. But she decided to put it all aside for half a minute and picked up the painkiller. “Thanks, sir.”

                Naeun pulled out a mug, filled the mug, and popped in some painkiller with eyes boring on her shoulder.

                “Naeun, are you afraid?” The voice echoed.

                “P-pardon, sir?”

                “Why are you so afraid?” Jongin got up and went so close to her. Naeun had to lean back to keep their faces in a proper distance to have a conversation. She could feel his breath against her skin.

                “Afraid of—“

                “Me.” Jongin cut her off.

                Naeun didn’t know how to answer.  She knew the answer in the tip of her tongue. Jongin also knew but he hadn’t had enough fun with Naeun.

                “Yes.” She admitted.

                “I asked why.”

                Naeun’s gaze went down, avoiding his sharp gaze. “Because I’ve seen the things that you do.”

                “What things? You’ve been here barely a day,” He said, sounded more offended than it was supposed to be. “You have no right to judge me.”

                “But I do have the right to protect myself from you.”

                Jongin was in disbelief, “So, you’re saying: I’m a danger—“

                “Not necessarily, sir, I’m just adapting to the environment and trying to read the socialization around the environment.” Naeun went a little too brave to cut his new boss but it was necessary to put the communication clear.

                Jongin wasn’t in the mood for anything humorous. His eyes went darker after he realized what Naeun has opened. Jongin was long enough in the game to know the vigilante that she has is a richoceting bullet. He took his family’s safety seriously.

                Naeun felt the change of air and began to feel smaller. Maybe—It’s too late, but just imagine—if she didn’t make a fool of herself and didn’t say the words, she might have a good night sleep.

                Jongin began, “You volunteered to be a part of us. This is not a business. This is a family. Everything I do is based on what’s best for my family. The things that you’ve seen today is personal. We’re a family now, whether you like it or not. We gotta have each other’s back. Father got yours when he decided to pay for your father’s medical bills. When will you?”

                “I’m sorry, si—“

                “I’m taking the safety of my family very seriously. I will not hesitate to kill you if you go rogue.”

                Naeun’s heartbeat went faster fifteen times. She felt terrible, nauseous, and hot at the same time. She felt this before when she sit beside her father on an ambulance as they raced to save his life. She hated this feeling so much more than the last time. It was because she took part of this feeling—she was the culprit of her own feelings. In the other hand, Jongin didn’t feel anything. He meant what he said. He was serious.

                “I’m sorry, sir.” Naeun managed to say, but Jongin was already on his way to his own bedroom.

 

 

                The blaring sound of EDM song woke Naeun up from her—unpeaceful—sleep. She opened her eyes and found a peculiar woman with black outfit dancing lightly in her room as she touched her things. Naeun looked around first, making sure that she was in the last place where she decided to sleep last night. She is surely in her own bedroom but why there is a stranger—in the morning—in her bedroom. She has seen enough yesterday to pick up the nearest object and waver it in her direction.

                “Who the are you?” Naeun shouted.

                The woman turned around, definitely annoyed by the sudden disturbance. Now that she turned to face Naeun, her features were clearer to see. She was wearing dark sunglasses but Naeun still could know that she is pretty and black classic dress that pointed out her nice lines. The woman pulled down her sunglasses a bit to look Naeun in the eyes directly.

                “Did you just curse at me?” She said in disbelief.

                “Who are you?”

                The woman didn’t give her an answer, instead she walked closer to her bed. Naeun kept pointing her bed lamp on her. She only gave a half laugh, “What are you trying to achieve with that bed lamp?”

                Naeun went small.

                “The gap between us is too far and you’re still inside the blanket. I’d say I’d already strangle you on site if I were a murderer—“

                Naeun jumped out the bed, still pointing her bed lamp.

                The woman gave the most obvious tone, “Which is not.”

                “I’m not putting away the lamp if you keep ignoring my question.”

                She pulled off her sunglasses, “What was the question?”

                A fast pacing came around the corner and a familiar figure stood upon the door. Naeun’s grip loosened a bit when she saw him. Jongin stood upon the door with disheveled black shirt. His hair was still wet and messy, but he definitely was ready to go somewhere. He leaned against the threshold with a hint of panic on his face.

                “What did you do, Jieun?” He asked.

                The woman—Jieun—looked shocked by his statement. She put her palms on her chest, feigning a disappointment, “Are you accusing me of mischief, Jongin? I am a good girl!”

                Jongin came in to drag her away from the room. Once again, Naeun was left alone without having a time to calculate what just happened. She sat on the edge of her bed, putting the lamp on the bedside table. She tried to pinpoint the things that happened when she heard muttering of argument across the room. She walked to the threshold carefully—not to release any sound. She kept her ears wide.

                It was Jongin’s voice, “I told you—Don’t wake—now—she’s awake—what—“

                Then, it was Jieun turn to speak and she wasn’t planning to hide her words, “It’s her job, Cousin. Let her come and she can take care of herself.”

                Jongin went in. His voice was hushed and urgent, “I’ve told you—last night—it’s—reckless to invite—“

                “Gosh, Cousin. Live a little. She’s just being cautious—“

                The voices went down, unheard. Then, Naeun’s heart dropped when she heard Jongin’s next words, “I know you’re listening. Come out.”

                Naeun heart was beating so fast. Her feet tingled, wanting to run away. But she stepped out from the threshold and walked into the living room, giving a huge space between them. Her fingers intertwine against each other, scratching her nails against her nails. She bowed to both of them with gaze glued on the floor, “Yes, sir.”

                Jieun looked at Jongin in disbelief when Naeun called him a sir. It was a strange to hear. But Jongin kept his glance on Naeun, cold and firm. Jieun felt enough by the sight she was seeing when she finally said, “Get ready, Secretary of my Cousin who is apparently a—”—she gave Jongin a look—“—sir.”

                “Yes, ma’am.” Naeun bowed and about to turn around when Jieun called her name.

                “Call me Jieun and dress properly for a funeral.” Jieun said before she fell back to his couch and watch television.

                Naeun fell quiet for a bit before she bowed once more and went to prepare herself.

                When she was ready, she joined Jongin and Jieun in the living room. Both of them were bickering with each other in front of the television but went silent when Naeun came, stating herself that she was ready to go. Jieun walked ahead, followed by Jongin then Naeun.

                The three of them rode to a fancy neighborhood. A lot of big houses on both side of the street. They turned into another bigger compartment and stopped at the biggest one around the area. The fences were high and needed a confirmation to open it automatically. The car strode along a wide pavement with a set up party on both side of the pavement. It looked like a garden party was about to happen today. So, why did Jieun said it was a funeral?

                The car stopped in front of a mansion and after it dropped off the three of them, it turned into the corner of the mansion and was nowhere to been at sight. Naeun followed Jongin and Jieun inside the mansion. A lot of people wearing black outfit, socializing. Jieun and Jongin was unbothered by the people and came into a room that turned into a hall. A funeral hall. There was a casket in front of the room and a photo of the passing beside it. It wasn’t a traditional Korean funeral, but a modern one. People were already sitting in the chairs, some were looking over the casket—mourning, or talking about her.

                Jongin sat on a rather filled row of seat. There was only four seats left. He walked into the row first, choosing the best seat. He left the other two seat opened for the ladies. Jieun sat next to him and Naeun got the edge of the row seat. Jieun heaved a long sigh as she looked upon the view, meanwhile Jongin was playing with his phone. Naeun was confused by all of this—the tradition, the behavior and manner—because this wasn’t exactly the things she had learnt. Naeun looked around, trying to find a familiar face but she didn’t even find Alan or Father. Oh, she did find one. But she didn’t know his name. Her eyes obliviously followed him.

                Jieun broke Naeun’s gaze when she said, “Why are you looking at him like that? It’s super weird.”

                “I-I’m sorry. I’m just curious.”

                Jieun began to feel interested by the story, “Go on…”

                “What do you mean ‘go on’?”

                “How did you meet—when—why…” Jieun elaborated.

                Naeun followed her command, “He gave me a hand on my stuff yesterday—when I moved in.”

                Jieun was disappointed, “That’s it?”

                “That’s it.”

                “Damn, I thought it was something more.”

                “Who is he?” Naeun finally asked.

                Jieun raised one of her eyebrow, “You didn’t know?”

                “I didn’t have time to have a proper talk if you notice how fast Alan moves.”

                Jieun beckoned at the man, “He’s Suho. Jongin’s older brother. My other cousin.”

                “Then, who is she?” Naeun beckoned at the casket.

                “My aunt.”

                “Their mom?”

                “Huh—What—No. Our aunt,” Jieun rolled her eyes. “We have a wide lineage of family, you know.”

                Then, Naeun looked at Jongin, trying to find the resemblance on both of them. Jieun had a small chuckle before she said, “Don’t even bother to find the resemblance. They look and act like a different person.”

                Naeun didn’t ask more about Jongin or Suho. She felt enough knowing those for a while and had the urge to just shut up and wait for the funeral to go on. Jieun went quiet too, waiting for the event to happen. Naeun found herself looking at Suho, observing his manners and behavior. He was bowing and shaking hands to almost everyone that went pass him. He also had a small talk with the people. He looked very sociable and warm. Naeun was sure people liked him too as they establish what it looked like a light conversation. He was totally different from Jongin.

                But, then again, she was only here for a day. She didn’t let herself pinpoint things before she could assure that it is true.

                Then, the event began. A priest was preaching in front of the hall. He talked about how much of a good person she was—that death was inevitable and all of us will eventually leave the world and rejoin the higher power. It was a good speech, Naeun admitted. After the priest stepped down, an older woman stepped into his place, “Well, thank you all for giving your precious time to visit my sister for the last time. As a welcoming gift and gratefulness, we’ve already prepared a feast for you to enjoy. Please enjoy our gift to you. Thank you.”

                The people clapped before they exited the hall. Jieun got up first, dragging along Naeun by the hands. Naeun didn’t have the time to be skeptic to leave Jongin alone and dismissed her job because Jieun was one hell of a dragger. She didn’t seem to bother how difficult it is for Naeun to match her steps. She did take a peek at Jongin as Jieun dragged her away and she was glad that he didn’t seem to bother.

                Both of them stopped at the beverage section. The drinks were served in a big bowl. All of them looked like cocktails. Naeun was sure of it, and she was reassured when Jieun came up to two people who looked like the same person—twins?—and caught them spilling what it looked like their own personalized drink. However, she saw Jieun eyes lit up when both of them spilled the liquor into the bowl.

                “How much did you put in there?” Jieun looked excited.

                “It’s enough for everyone to dance for the whole night.” One of them said.

                Jieun let out an excited yelp and took two empty cups. She stirred the drink for a while, helping the twins. After the twins made sure that they have mixed everything into the bowl, Jieun was the first to scoop the drinks out. She gave one drink to Naeun and the latter to herself. The twins was still there, waiting Jieun to sip her drink. Jieun sipped her drink and sighed in ecstatic. Naeun was still holding her drink, untouched. She was… skeptic about the drink. Sure, she drank liquor before—it looked like no regular liquor.

                “Oh, guys, this is Naeun. Jongin’s new secretary.” Jieun introduced.

                The twins answered in unison, “We heard a lot about you.”

                “I just got here yesterday…” Naeun was confused by the twins’ answer. She literally just went to work for them for one day. They can’t possibly hear a lot about Naeun.

                “Oh, words travel fast around here.”  One of the twins—longer hair—answered.

                Jieun found Naeun’s face looked confused and led the conversation elsewhere, “Are you guys going to introduce yourself or stay to gossip?”

                “I’m Eli,” The shorter hair said first. “A boy. Definitely a boy.”

                “I’m Lia,” The longer hair said next. “A girl. Looks like a boy beside him, but I’m a girl.”

                “They are my cousin.” Jieun tried to clear Naeun’s confusion.

                “Nice to meet you.” Naeun smiled, but she saw something else in the twins’ eyes. The eyes of unwavering mischief. She slowly hid the cup to the side of her body. It was too late because Lia noticed Naeun. Lia knew she tried to make them forget about the drink. She was always the fastest to sense everything.

                “Drink the potion, sis.” Lia beckoned at the drink.

                Naeun tried to find a way out, “Um, later.”

                “We’re not leaving.” The twins said in unison.

                Jieun waited for Naeun along with the twins. The three of them looked at her expectantly. Jieun moved closer to her side. Her fingers perked up under Naeun’s cup and started to push it towards . Naeun was cynical about the drink. She really didn’t want to be working under influence, especially if she walked upon Alan or Father. She didn’t want to think about the consequences. But when she saw three pair of eyes shine keenly into hers and Jieun’s fingers pushed the tip of her cup, her whole plan of ignoring the drink for the rest of the day was ruined. Naeun knew she had to take a sip in order for them to leave her alone.

                So, she did. But it wasn’t a sip. Jieun shoved the cup too long that it has become a big gulp. Naeun involuntarily winced from the strong flavor of liquor and… something else. She can’t pinpoint what it is, but it wasn’t that bad. The after taste was actually quite refreshing. She didn’t mind finishing the drink.

                The twins laughed in excitement before both of them walked away. Jieun was grinning, accompany Naeun in the beverage section; sitting on the nearest chair so they could refill their drinks easier. After that, the time went a blur. Naeun could only remember that she refilled the cup a few times and had a good talk with Jieun. She didn’t even know what both of them talked about, but it felt nice to be able to talk to another girl after—a long, dark night with men which one of the guys decided to almost shot her in the face—a long day.

                Naeun found herself leaning against the balcony with a sunset view in front of her. After those drinks, she needed a fresh air and a mineral water—which is what she had been drinking for half an hour to sober herself. She didn’t notice that the party had gone so long until sunset. A lot of people were still enjoying themselves in the garden. The live music still went on. The atmosphere was still very party-like. Fun and light. So far, this is her favorite view. She spotted Jieun, dancing with a drink in her hands.

                “Who are you?” A voice jumped in from behind.

                Naeun turned around in a jolt to find his boss lingering around the threshold. His face looked rather red. He was definitely not himself. He wasn’t the calm and collected boss she had seen. Naeun bowed down but he didn’t even bother to look. His gaze was elsewhere and so does his mind. He staggered to sit in the nearest bench. Naeun flinched to help him walk to the bench, but he was already sitting. He straightened his feet across the bench, leaving Naeun no seat available. But she kept her distance. Jongin eyes closed as he breathed the air.

                “Are you okay, sir?” Naeun took the initiative to begin.

                “I’m okay,” He eventually answered after three beats. “I’m just hangover.”

                Naeun opened the bottle lid and offered him the mineral water she had, “You should drink this, sir. It will help.”

                Jongin examined her face before he could take the bottle and drink it. Naeun didn’t know how to act at this point. The last time they were together alone things went terrible and he wanted to kill her. So, she kept her distance and stood there awkwardly after she passed the bottle. She only looked at Jongin, observing him from a distance. Jongin was too hangover to actually realize the situation he’s in.

                “Do you need anything else, sir?” Naeun asked carefully.

                “No. I just need some air.”

                “Okay, do you want to go home?”

                “No. Just. Give me a minute.” He came off sharp.

                Naeun went quiet. She continued to observe Jongin. He decided to lay himself on the bench and sighed a heavy sigh. He closed his eyes but Naeun was well aware that he wasn’t asleep. He was just catching his senses after those drinks. He didn’t know what his cousins put in there, but it definitely gave him a kick.

                “You should try to trust us more.” Jongin slurred, but Naeun caught his words.

                “Yes, sir. I’m working on it.” She was trying to find safe words to speak.

                “This business is heavy . People stab you front to back. We need trust to work together.”

                It hit her. She took a few seconds to fathom but it took up her courage and she sat in the ground, right in front of the bench. If the business was all personal, she should start treating her colleagues like—as for now—a friend. She wasn’t ready to put all of these people behind her back—because that’s what family do. But at least, she will treat him as a friend. She’ll try to not get in his nerves and help him the best she could. She’ll treat his family like a friend.

                Naeun watched his face. He didn’t look distant and cold. She liked this version of him better. It made her think of something else. She might as well be sincere since she’ll be stuck with him for a long time. When Jongin began squinting his eyes and grunt, Naeun began, “Are you ready to go home?”

                Jongin looked upon her, trying to pinpoint what’s going on. His sight was still blurry from the short nap he had and when it began to form, he found Naeun—for the first time—smiled (and Jongin swore he almost liked her smile) and as she stand, she offered her hand.