003

Bound By Duty

003.

The ride with Jongin was suffocating. On the first day of her job, she had to drive around a Tesla—that she could never bought—into the darker corner of Seoul. It was said to be the darker corner because there were a lot of huge casinos and infamous clubs. The district was well-known as the pest of rich socialites. A few commoners would like to try the night life but most of them ended up in bankruptcy. As far as Naeun knows, Jongin held a few clubs in the district. The rest of details about the meeting was unknown.

                Naeun stayed quiet, listening to the sound of cars passing by and clicking by Jongin’s gun. He assembled his gun comfortably in the passenger seat. Naeun kept side-glancing him, aware that he hold the gun that held her on a short gunpoint. At times, Jongin would catch Naeun glancing at him—and Naeun would avert her eyes immediately—but that was just it. Jongin knew that they started off on the wrong foot and scared—probably petrified—her but he had reasons and Naeun had to learn how to keep her distance from him.

                “Sir,” Naeun shrugged off his mind. “Alan told me that you have a bodyguard—Tian.”

                “What about it?” He came off sharp.

                “I was wondering if he came too or if it was just me.” Naeun was scared to be alone with Jongin and guns. She still can’t recover from the recent incident. It petrified her—how he held his feet and gun without a doubt. It still played like a movie in her mind. Naeun was lucky to be able to put a straight face to anything.

                The gun clicked for the last time before he shoved his gun to his belt, “He’ll catch up. He has to run some errands.”

                “Okay, sir.”

                The ride went quiet again. It wasn’t long until they arrived at the district. Jongin told her to park on the front door of an infamous club. Naeun hadn’t been there but she heard whispers that it was a night club with personal invitations and they had to come in with password. Jongin got out first, then Naeun. She looked formal with her black and white attire, meanwhile Jongin looked neat with his dark clothes. His gun was hidden well that Naeun was left wondering where it was. Jongin confidently walked into the building, followed by Naeun.

                “She’s with me.” Jongin said to the bouncer as he passed by.

                The bouncer nodded and already opened the door before Jongin could pass. Jongin strode by the dance floor and the bar, stopping at a black door in the corner of the room. There wasn’t any certain light that shine on the entrance. It camouflaged perfectly—meant to be hidden. Two men guarded the door but as soon as they can see Jongin’s face, they opened the door for him. Once they got inside, there were a few men, laughing with beers in their hand. Naeun saw five guns—equivalent to the guys— laying on the table. They seemed comfortable putting their weapons on the table. The guys looked at him and welcomed him.

                “Aye, the man of hour is here!” One slurred.

                Jongin only gave a half of smirk, “Why aren’t you starting?”

                “We waited for you.”

                “Sorry, I got some errands to catch.” Jongin sat down, keeping a distant to the four of them. Naeun stood beside him with folders that he might need.

                “Figures.” A man in front of him looked displeased at his presence. He gave Jongin a sour face before averting his attention to Naeun, who looked lost. He kept his eyes on her.

                “Sip your glass, Tao. No need to make it a big deal,” Another said to the man who had been keeping his glance on Naeun. Tao sipped his glass, pulling his eyes from Naeun. There was a complication tension between Tao and Jongin. Naeun could feel the stares between the man.

                “So,” Sehun started slow. He was the only man who felt comfortable in his chair and kept his calm. “Alan filled us in yesterday. He told me that Father want to sort out our agreement on the betting place in Apgujeong.”

               “Yes,” Jongin began. “He told me that the agreement is not fair as he is the one who pays for all he facilitation. It doesn’t fair to not change the facilitation expense.”

                “Father’s share is the biggest among us.” Tao said.

                “True, but that’s because of the price of the empty lot belonged by us.”

                “I thought, The lot has been given as a gift for our merging.” The man who had been quiet for the whole time—Chanyeol—finally spoke.

                “The contract said nothing about the land.” Sehun said.

                “The Park family told Father that the share includes monthly payment for the lot,” Jongin looked at Chanyeol. “That’s why Father feels that it is not fair for him to not receive the facilitation money.”

                “My dad?” Chanyeol was surprised. He whipped out his phone and immediately making a call. He excused himself from the meeting table and walked out from the room. Naeun just looked at the situation in confusion. She was lost with how the bargaining works down in the business. All of them seemed ready to shoot each other when the bargaining is over.

                “EVEN IF you go home with bigger share, whose money is going to be subtracted?” Sehun asked.

                The tension thickened.

                “Hold up, Sehun,” Tao began, shifting his body as he leaned towards Jongin. “Our family has signed the contract—might I add, in the paper. There is no way for Father to ask something out of the contract. This could be a fraud.”

                The bomb was dropped. Sehun was no longer calm. Everybody knew that Sehun began to tense up. He straightened his body, leaning against the table. His fingers tangled on his gun. He looked at both, “That is some serious accusation.”

                “It is an accusation,” Jongin emphasized. “This is a merging business—obviously not a fraud. Our father signed the damn paper by themselves.”

                Jongin pointed at Tao, who was looking at him in displease. Jongin’s face turned into annoyed. He was no longer calm. Everybody was no longer calm, even Naeun began to fidget. She didn’t like how twisted this meeting. Jongin’s eyes were burning. He might not be the best businessman like Tao and Sehun, but he damn well know that nobody should disrespect his family like that. He had taken high roads for Tao, but this one took the cake. Jongin continued, “If you are trying to end up with higher share, maybe you should pay for the facilitation instead of watching from the sidelines,”

                Tao’s eyes began to build fire as Jongin continued his dispute, “As far as I’m concerned, the Huang family only donate your low skill to manage the casino.”

                Tao has had it. He took his gun and held it to Jongin’s forehead, “Watch your mouth, Kim.”

                Sehun rose, trying to calm the situation. He seemed to be the one who was sane in the room. Naeun was holding her breath as she looked back and forth. Meanwhile, Jongin looked calm. He just gave Tao a smirk as if he underestimated him. He did, though. He knew he wouldn’t hurt nobody. It was just a bluff and Jongin had more experience at being held at gunpoint. The family business was extreme. It made him forget how to be scared.

                “Can we all just calm down?” Sehun begged.

                “Shoot me, Tao and we’ll let you know when you are going to die in the hands of Father.”

                “I don’t give a , Jongin,” He kept pushing the gun towards him. “Father is not my God.”

                “It’s not mine either,” Jongin spat back. “But we both know how powerful Father could get if he wants.”

                “Tao, put the damn gun!” Sehun yelled again.

                Tao didn’t bother to hear, “Sehun, don’t be such an idiot. Father always wants a bigger share among us. This is a fraud.”

                “Prove it,” Jongin talked back. “Prove it if it’s a fraud.”

                “We all know that we can’t ask something out of the contract. It is signed and it is fixed.” Tao kept his feet.

                Sehun looked at the two of them, frustrated. Jongin kept his calm, while Tao was in the verge. Naeun was scared to look at them, so she hung her head low to look at the floor while thinking about the stuffs she liked the most.

                “That’s why this meeting is happening—to renegotiate,” Jongin said. “The project itself cost a lot of fortune and time. Father think it would benefit him in a long haul and Father has so much thing to do that cost a fortune. He needs his money fast.”

                “We get it, Jongin,” Sehun looked at Tao, getting impatient. “So, put the gun down!”

                Tao, once again, ignored his remark and talked to Naeun instead, “Where’s the contract?”

                Naeun was lost, “Pardon me, Sir?”

                “Where’s. The. Contract?” Tao was impatient.

                Naeun rummaged the folders, searching for the specific document. But she got none. She kept checking it once or twice but she just didn’t find it. She made sure that she had the documents needed and it was obviously not in her office. But maybe she missed a few documents in her office. Whatever it was Naeun was certain of one thing: scared. She began to have cold sweats all over her. She didn’t dare to look into their eyes. All of them were watching at Naeun, hoping. But Naeun let everybody down by looking straight at them and said, “I didn’t have it, Sir.”

                “This is a set up.” Tao was done with everything. He moved his gun to Naeun’s forehead. Naeun felt her head spinning.

                “Tao, put the gun down.” Jongin said, getting impatient. Everyone was getting impatient. The tension went up as Tao stood from his seat and stood in front of her. His gun lingered on her forehead. Naeun swore she felt like she was flying. Everything was spinning.

                Jongin held her hand and said to her, “Naeun, look at me.”

                Naeun didn’t look. So, Jongin raised his voice to make her hear his remark, “Naeun. Naeun. Look at me.”

                She began to look at him. Her face was getting pale and she looked so miserable in Jongin’s eyes. It made Jongin feel sorry that he brought this upon her. He told her calmly, “I’m not going to let anything happen to you. OK?”

                Naeun nodded slowly, blinking away her tears.

                “Tao, put the gun down! The girl is scared to death!” Sehun raised his voice.

                Tao kept his hand still, “Tell me, Naeun, did he set this up. I know you’re just a pawn.”

                “PUT THE GUN DOWN.” Sehun eventually yelled in frustration.

                Tao and Sehun was arguing about the gun. Jongin held her hand tightly and said, “I’m not going to let anything happen to you. Just focus on me.”

                Naeun couldn’t feel anything. She felt like she was flying. The sound blurred in and out—so did Jongin’s face. She heard Tao yelling at her about the document she had missed. She can hear the trigger clicking and Jongin’s words all at once: Naeun. Look at me. Look at me. Focus. Hey.

                Naeun felt sorry for herself—for getting into this mess. This was her punishment: death by gunshot.

                Then, everything went fast. Naeun heard a thrilling sound on her ear and everything was black for Naeun.

                Jongin pulled Naeun into his arms fast as Tao released his shot. The shot missed Naeun by inch. She only had a scratch on her cheek, but she had slipped out of her consciousness. Jongin looked at Tao, furious. He didn’t think that Tao would release the shot on Naeun’s forehead. It would be a mess if Jongin wasn’t fast enough to save Naeun. Sehun punched Tao by the jaw, pulling some senses to him. Both men—Sehun and Jongin—were as furious at Tao.

                Jongin wiped the strands of her hair that hid her face. Naeun looked so restless in his arms. Jongin felt like it was his fault and be more careful. Her left cheek was scratched and had become blue. Jongin picked her up and looked at Tao before coldly said, “The merging is done. The Kim Family will not make any further business that relates to the Huang Family.”

                It felt like the bomb has been dropped. Tao was furious of the decision and about to knock some senses to Jongin but the bodyguards kept him. Sehun brushed his suit and looked at Tao, “The Oh Family seconded. You’ll be erased from the contract.”

                “WAIT. You can’t do that !” Tao was yelling as he struggled to get out from their hold.

                Sehun looked at Naeun, “Is she going to be okay?”

                “I guess. We’ll see,” Jongin was tired. “Can you finish him up? I have to clean up this mess.”

                Sehun understood and nodded. Jongin wasted no time to walk out while Sehun and his goons walked back to the room and all he could hear was faint sound of beatings and pain. Jongin could accept the bad terms that Tao gave him, but it was beyond him to let someone die because of him. Naeun almost did what Jongin despised the most: Sacrifice.

                Sacrifice came with lifelong debts, and Jongin hated that he must owe her something in return.