The boys are back

Supernatural
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

 

An amused and familiar voice froze him on the spot. Jinki looked up in shock, his breath caught in his throat as the light of the moon helped Jinki see why the voice froze him and made his heart clench.


Chocolate tousled hair and the biggest brown puppy-like eyes were the first he saw as he studied the other's face. Jinki's eyes drifted down to slightly uneven nostrils but an otherwise perfect nose and pink pouty lips. A sharp jawline that could cut butter and muscular arms that held him down but otherwise the body was slender and short in stature.

 

He was wearing a black shirt with an aggressive biting dog on it, a black leather jacket, an arm-guard on the right wrist and a black Rolex watch on the left wrist. Black biker jeans and combat boots. Silver sunglasses sat on top of a spiky nest of brown hair.


Jinki locked eyes with the mocha-colored eyes of his best friend. ''Jonghyun?'' He asked confused, several emotions engulfed him all at once. Happiness, relief, and guilt.


Jonghyun smirked wickedly as Jinki looked at him with wide eyes. ''You scared the crap out of me!'' Jinki complained, panting slightly while he saw Jonghyun's face change into a serious expression, one eyebrow raised critically.


''That's because you're out of practice,'' Jonghyun said sarcastically. Jinki rolled his eyes and grabbed the younger man's waist and with all his power tossed the man off of him and threw Jonghyun on the ground, rolling on top and restraining him with hands on his wrists, Jinki smirked triumphantly.


Jonghyun couched a little, ''Or not.'' He huffed impressed, a grin appearing on his face which Jinki mirrored, this kid was still childish as always. ''I missed you Jjong, what are you doing here?'' Jinki voiced his thoughts as Jonghyun tried to squirm free from his grasp. Jinki released him and helped the younger man up.


Before the younger man could answer, he was swiped up in a hug, Jinki wrapped his arms around the other's chest, trapping his arms as Jinki hugged his best friend. ''God Jjong, it has been four years!'' The blond mumbled as he rocked them both from side to side.
 

Jonghyun sputtered and wiggled a little, trying to get his arms free. ''I see your affectionate side hasn't changed a bit.'' Jonghyun kidded as he managed to get his arms free and wrap them around Jinki's neck.


Jinki chuckled and closed his eyes as his best friend's scent filled his nose. The younger man always smelled like chestnut, soap, and grass. It calmed Jinki down but he was not surprised Jonghyun always took care that he smelled good since the young man had always been sensitive to smell.



The blond smiled fondly as he heard Jonghyun sigh contently and bury his head against Jinki's shoulder as chocolate hair brushed against his cheek, jaw, and chin. ''I see that your small size hasn't changed a bit either.'' Jinki teased and laughed lightheartedly as Jonghyun groaned and punched his shoulder hard.



''OUCH!'' Jinki whined and pulled away to nurse the ambushed spot.
 

''I'm not short and you always have to ruin our romantic moments!'' the younger sulked and crossed his arms. The blond laughed warmly and wrapped an arm around Jonghyun's shoulder, bringing him close, ''You're very welcome!'' he chirped cheekily, his eyes forming cute crescents causing Jonghyun to shake his head and push the other away by the forehead with a soft smile.



''Anyway, to answer your question before you so rudely tried to flatten me, I was looking for some rum.'' The younger man joked mischievously as his eyes took interest in the living-room they were standing in.
 

Jinki smiled widely but his eyebrow raised in disbelief. ''Rum? Really, what are you here for Jjong?''

 

Jonghyun pouted, ''I have no idea what you mean, is it a crime to see my best friend and drink rum together?'' he responded quickly with feigned innocence as he padded around the room, detecting a few photo frames on the mantelpiece. He snatched one of them and took in the unknown faces except that of his best friend.


Jinki sighed, a small smile stretching on his face. While he would love to hang out with his friend, Jonghyun would not suddenly appear after 4 years to do just that.


''Don't get me wrong, I'm exhilarated to see you again but what is the real reason?'' Jinki collected a few pillows that had fallen to the ground while the two had struggled and plopped them back on the sofa. Jonghyun had moved on to their coffee table and was scanning a Cosmo girl magazine, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. Did Jinki have a thing for women magazines or was there a girl living with Jinki?


Jonghyun bit his lip and Jinki furrowed his brow, puzzled as he saw Jonghyun avoid eye-contact. ''Are you alright?'' he asked the question with genuine concern for the other's well-being, maybe Jonghyun was in trouble and was here for Jinki's guidance?

 

''Please, don't tell me you pissed off some spirit and need me to get your out of trouble.''


The younger man placed his hands on his hips, offended as he scowled at his best friend. ''Yah! I'm not that ba...'' Jinki held up a finger, ''Yes you are'' he cut in with a smirk, it vanished as soon as it appeared when he was met with a pillow to the face. Jinki sputtered and gawked at the laughing man, clutching the pillow in his grasp.


''You kinda deserved that one Jinx, how dare you doubt my skills.'' Jonghyun hurled the pillow back on the sofa as he approached the blond. Jinki chuckled and ruffled the other's hair but Jonghyun evaded his touch with a grumble. ''Let me get straight to the point Jinki,'' Jonghyun changed subjects. Jinki frowned and crossed his arms, not liking the tone in the other's voice.



''Our fathers, they disappeared two months ago.'' Jonghyun eyed him expectantly, analyzing his reaction. Jinki blinked in surprise, he had expected bad news, this, however, wasn't world shocking as John and George disappeared all the time when Jinki was still living with them and Jonghyun.


''It's alright, they have done this before,'' Jinki assured him, trying to calm down his nerves by squeezing Jonghyun's shoulder. The younger man, however, shook his head in disagreement, frowning a little. ''You don't understand Jinx, they went on a hunting trip and I cannot contact them!'' he huffed, wringing his hands nervously.



Jinki tilted his head to the side, perplexed as what Jonghyun told him registered in his mind. He understood why Jonghyun was worried, John and George would always call when they were away for months, no matter the circumstances. It still did not worry Jinki as much, maybe because he was not as close to them as Jonghyun is.



Jinki didn't know what to do or say as the childhood friends locked eyes, both waiting for the other to say something. They did not have too because Jessica chose that moment to flick on the light switch, making the boys blink as they adjusted their vision to the sudden brightness.


''Jinki, what's going on?'' Jessica mumbled tiredly as she observed the stranger in their living-room from her spot in the doorway. Jinki smiled reassuringly at her, knowing she was unsure about the situation, the alarmed look in her brown eyes told him that much. ''Jess, hey!''



He glanced back at his best friend, ''Jonghyun, this is my girlfriend, Jessica.'' he introduced, feeling nervous about the two most important people in his life meeting each other. Jonghyun eyed Jinki skeptically but smiled modestly at the girl in the doorway.



Jessica's face lit up at the name, she took a few steps forward in the room, now that she knew the stranger was not dangerous at all. ''You mean Jonghyun as in your best friend?'' she asked, genuinely ecstatic to get to know the guy her boyfriend always talked about.



Jonghyun confirmed with a curt nod as he approached, they shook hands and as Jessica was about to take her hand back, the man kissed the back of it. ''It's very nice to meet you,'' he said charmingly and winked sassily, ''You know, you look waaay out of my best friends league.'' Jonghyun joked as he allowed her to take her hand back.



Jessica blushed and giggled amused, especially when she caught Jinki roll his eyes and stick out his tongue childishly, over Jonghyun's shoulder. ''I think it's the other way around,'' she mumbled as she lovingly glanced at Jinki with a glow on her cheeks.


Her boyfriend grinned back fondly, his eyes reflecting warmth.


Jonghyun witnessed this romantic moment between them and all of sudden felt uncertain about bouncing back in Jinki's life. ''You know, maybe I should put something on,'' Jessica said shyly as she observed herself, wearing only a yellow top and short blue shorts.


Jonghyun shook his head and took a step back as he glanced back and forth between Jinki and Jessica, his face unreadable, ''That's not necessary, I was about to leave anyway.'' He assured her and made his way towards the door, passing Jinki, who glanced briefly in shock at the thought of him leaving already.

 

''Au revoir.'' Jonghyun waved while opening the door and then he faded into the night.


''W-wait,'' Jinki muttered baffled, glancing shocked from Jessica to the empty doorway, ''Wait Jonghyun!'' he yelled as he shot Jessica an apologized look and ran after his best friend
 

 

 

Jinki hurriedly looked around, ignoring the wind as it brushed against his sleeveless skin. ''Should have brought a jacket.'' He muttered and rubbed his arms for warmth hence he was only in a nightshirt and pajama pants that weren't exactly thick. Jinki's chocolate eyes darted around the student apartment-complex and the parking lot in front of it, there was no student awake anymore at this hour so the only thing Jinki heard was the sound of traffic moving on the highway and that of insects in the bushes.


The man glanced to his left and spotted Jonghyun strutting towards the outside-stairs. Jinki called and ran after the man, breathing a sigh of relief as he approached and saw Jonghyun turn around to look back up at him. Jinki hunched over, gasping for breath, ''Gosh, I'm really out of shape,'' he joked and looked at his friend, his smile faded as he saw the same expressionless look on Jonghyun's face as he'd had inside.


''What's the matter?'' Jinki asked confused, wondering why Jonghyun was suddenly acting odd.
 

His best friend sighed and kicked the tip of his boots against the steps as he leaned against the railing, ''Nothing is the matter Jinki, I'm just leaving.'' He said calmly as if he hadn't suddenly reappeared in Jinki's life again to inform him about their fathers' disappearance.

 

Jinki blinked stupidly at the guy in front of him, ''Why are you leaving again after informing your concerns about our fathers? Stay a bit longer Jjong, I've missed you!''


Jonghyun shrugged and scratched the back of his head, ''It was important and I missed you too but I can't waste any more time by staying here.''
 

The blond tilted his head to the side, a bit downfallen that Jjong could not stay so they could catch up. Jinki placed a hand on Jonghyun's shoulder and searched his eyes, ''Then what was the point in telling me?''

 

Jonghyun stared back with wide eyes full of anticipation. ''I had hope that you would join me.'' He trailed off as he nervously started to fiddle with his black leather arm-guard.

 

Jinki bit his lip, his thought instantaneously dragged in a different direction. Going with Jonghyun meant, leaving Jessica behind and staying with Jessica meant, not seeing his best friend for presumably another few years.


''It's evident that you want to stay here, that's why I did not even ask you,'' Jonghyun's voice made him heed the younger man. ''I came here with the assumption that you were alone and not dating someone, I can see how much she means to you.'' A strange expression flitted across Jonghyun's face, his lips pulling in a thin line.

 

The older man frowned lightly, he shifted and mimicked his friends' position against the railing. ''Of course, I am dating someone, you cannot expect me to stay single my whole life Jjong.'' Jinki shot his best friend an incredulous glance.



''You can't also expect that after breaking in, in the middle of the night might I add, would mean that I straight away hit the road with you.''
 


Jonghyun scoffed, ''Come on Jinx, I honestly did not know that you were with someone, you were always more focused on school.'' He argued instantaneously and spun around to descend the stairs again. Jinki sighed deeply and followed him.


''You should have called me.''


''Would you have picked up? Especially with my new number.''


'Good point.'' Jinki pouted in defeat, glaring slightly at the back of his friend's head.


''Furthermore, our fathers are missing, I really would like you to help me find them,'' Jonghyun mumbled, the look he gave over his shoulder showed nothing but hope.

 

Jinki slid up next to him and bumped shoulders, Jonghyun nearly toppled to the side and clung to the railing of the stairs. The short man glared while Jinki flashed him a smug smile.


''I get that you are worried about them but this is seriously nothing new, remember that Poltergeist in Muju?'' Jinki asked unconvinced as he laced his fingers behind his head whilst watching the other get his balance back and walk on.


''Oooorr that revengeful spirit in Donghae? They were missing then too, they are always missing and they are always fine.'' Jinki rattled on, pausing at the bottom of the stairs as Jonghyun faced him, ''Not for this long, so please Jinki, are you going with me or not?''



The older man pondered his decision as Jonghyun waited, Jinki felt the mocha-colored eyes on his person and swallowed apprehensively as he judged the situation from every angle. Jonghyun seemingly needed him but Jinki couldn't leave Jessica behind, it was a tough choice to make but Jinki had already made this decision a long time ago when he left his family and best friend. And Jessica had not been the reason then, now she was one of them.


''No.'' He stated, his voice breaking the silence. His own hand began tugging at the bottom of his pajama shirt, his heart fluttering in his chest.

 

''What!, why not?'' Jonghyun asked surprised, his eyes widen just a fraction in disappointment and hurt, he looked like a kicked puppy.



Jinki's gut dropped with guilt as he saw this, he nibbled on his underlip. ''Jjongie, you have to understand that when I left, I left the hunting behind too, for good.'' He replied and hurried after Jonghyun as he saw his best friend stalk away.


''That was your decision years ago, people change.'' Jonghyun waved off his reasons like a breeze in the wind.


They both left the stairs and made a turn towards the parking lot, Jinki sighed afflicted and stopped the younger man by a hold on the elbow, ''Look Jjong, I was 18, which was 4 years ago not that long at all.''

 

Jonghyun clicked his tongue in clear annoyance as he peeked at his black Rolex watch on his left wrist swiftly. Jonghyun might accuse him of changing over the years but Jonghyun himself didn't change at all, impatient as ever. Jinki smiled regrettably, he missed little things like this about his childhood friend.


''I know you want a normal life and all that,'' Jonghyun acknowledged, ''but don't deny the fact that the life of a hunter resides in your blood.''

 

Jinki blinked, a bit baffled. ''Resides in my blood?'' he echoed and threw his hands up in the air. Oh yeah, did he mention the younger man was as stubborn as a Mule?

 

''I did not choose this Jonghyun, I wanted this normal life since I was 11. Father was so obsessed with killing monsters that he shoved a gun in my hands and told me to rely on that whenever I had a nightmare instead of reassuring me that my nightmares were not real.''


 

Jonghyun stared at him blankly, ''Well, a night light would not scare the monsters in your nightmares away, you know.'' he joked dryly. Jinki brushed blond hair back from his own forehead and massaged his temples, dreading an upcoming headache.



''Ha ha, very funny Jjong but the way we grew up after my mother was killed and my father's obsession to find the thing that killed her...'' Jinki trailed off with a deep sigh as he placed a hand on the younger man's shoulder. ''He even dragged your father into this Jonghyun, how can you not desire a normal life?''


Jonghyun smiled, even if there was no joy behind it. ''You do know that they killed monsters such as vampires, werewolves, and ghosts while they are going after that demon that killed your mother right?'' Jonghyun argued back, Jinki smiled faintly and cleared his throat, as if to say that this was no more than he had expected to come out of the smaller man's mouth.


''Do you think our mothers wanted this life for us?'' Jinki rebuked sadly as he slid his hand away from the other's shoulder.


Jonghyun looked at him sternly, they both thought different things. Jonghyun did not know anything else but hunting and Jinki wanted a normal life, it was a wonder Jonghyun still approached him for help.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter