Chapter II: First meeting

THE YEAR OF WINTER

He was there, in that world, but how was she supposed to find him? She couldn’t ask someone about the “Prince of the Winter Realm” and she definitely couldn’t search every house in every city.

Ji Hyun was sitting on a park bench, not even realizing when she had got there. “How can I find him? Where do I have to start from?” she thought. Right then, she realized, it was a simple answer, and the key to the problem had been with her from the very beginning. Ji Hyun took off her penguin-shaped necklace and opened it. Multicolored sparkles fell on the snow and a little penguin appeared. It was her “elf” to call it like that, and every snowflake had one. It was like a pet, but a talking one.

The little penguin, Suk, rubbed his eyes and looked around. With a surprised expression, he brought his little “arms” to his waist.

“Ji Hyun, what have you done? Why are you still here?”

“I might have missed the departure…”

Suk sat down on the snow without saying anything. It wasn’t long since Ji Hyun met her little friend for the first time, but Suk already knew her personality and it wasn’t the first time she got in trouble.

“It’s my first time here too! It hasn’t been long since I became your guardian-pet but we’ve been in trouble so many times already. How are we going to return?”

“Don’t worry, I have an idea, but I need your powers for that.”

“I don’t like your facial expression, tell me.”

“We need to find the Prince.”

“You mean the one that was sent in exile? It doesn’t sound well to me.”

“You can find him; I know guardian-pets can trace members of the Winter Realm’s royal family, something with the cold energy they’re surrounded with.”

“We are trained for that but I haven’t done that before, besides, haven't you heard about his personality?”

“We don’t have another solution.”

Suk then lowered his head and suddenly his two little eyes became crystal-blue. Shortly after, a part of the snow started to become blue, showing them the way. The two of them followed the path until they arrived in front of an abandoned house. Suk eyes came back to normal; he shook his head trying to get rid of the dizziness.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know, I just couldn’t do it anymore, it stopped.”

Suk and Ji Hyun felt an unusual coldness coming from the abandoned house.

“It must be here then…” said Ji Hyun.

It didn’t look like a place where you would find a prince, but he was here in exile so maybe that was why. Nobody heard from him since he had left Winter Realm and Ji Hyun was a bit scared, however to her, this was the only solution she could think of. She walked closer to that house and Suk followed her with a worried expression. A prince that had been sent to exile because of his behavior was the last one they would have asked for help.

Ji Hyun found herself in front of the old door. She stepped in carefully. The door was at the verge of breaking down and it wasn’t the only thing in that state. The windows were covered and there was no light coming in. There was nothing to be seen except some stairs.

“Hello?”

“Of course it had to look like this! Tell me you are not thinking about going upstairs.” said Suk hiding behind her legs.

Ji Hyun shrugged her shoulders at Suk’s words. She looked around one more time and decided to go upstairs. With every step she took, it became colder and colder. Upstairs there were two rooms at each end of the hall. She went to the one on the right but before she could open it, she heard someone at the other end. She turned around and saw him. He was looking at her intensely, with a confused expression that faded away shortly after. His eyes looked empty, his dark hair was ruffled and his white skin seemed to be cold like ice. However, his presence didn’t make her feel scared, as they thought, instead, he looked miserable, he looked hurt. “That is not how I thought a rebel, spoiled prince would look like, even while being in exile” she thought.

But she wasn’t aware of what she was about to find out soon; was he really a greedy Prince sent to exile because of his behavior and abuse of power?