Chapter 3: Serious Talk

Friend Zoned

I got home super tired. I had so much work to catch up on!! To think that being the next kid meant I could skip out on assignments but most of them were pretty easy so I finished them at school, I only had a few things left to do, so all was good. I took a relaxing shower and went down to eat dinner.

"Mom, Dad, did you know that Zuho goes there?" 

"Yeah, we know. We still talk to his parents sometimes." My mom replies, 

"We thought could have a friend to talk too." Dad joins in on the conversation, 

My mom looked at my dad, then at me, "It's been a while since you've seen or even talked to each other. Maybe it's time to catch up." 

I sigh, "Well, he invited me to coffee tonight." 

Mom looked at me and grin. "Oh really?? Then you should go ahead and go, but don't drink too much caffeine, we don't want you staying up all night because of the coffee."

"I know, plus I don't even like coffee that much anyway."

We finished our food and cleaned up. I then went back to my room and finished those other assignments I needed to do. It was about 7:30 when I got my sweater, money and headed for the cafe. I get there and order a cup of tea and find a seat. I wait there for a few minutes and see Zuho coming. He walks in, orders his drink, and comes to sit down with me. We sit in silence for a while sipping our drinks. 

The silence was unbearable, "So why did you tell me to come here??" 

He looks out the window and reply, "You know, ever since you went to the boarding school, I've missed you so much." 

At that point, I choked on my tea, "Who has been teaching you these things???" 

He looks at me and smiles, "I'm kidding." 

"Better, because I was about to talk some sense into you." 

He let out a laugh, "But that's not the point. Do you remember when we were in elementary and you were taller than me?" 

"Ah, those were the time,"

"You said you would never date anyone, that you would be single for life, and we made a bet that once I grew a head taller than you, you would date someone." 

I look away and reply "Nope." 

"You're lying,"

"I'm not." looking at him straight in the eye. 

"Well, now I'm more than a head taller than you. You have to keep your promise."

"Do I don't want too!!" I say whining back,

He smiles and shakes his head, "Yes you do, you promised." 

"Urgh! Why do you remember these things?? I was a kid!!"

"You still have to keep your promise,"

"Why?????" If you can't already tell, I REALLY didn't want to do it.

"Because you promised,"

"Fine, but just so you know that's never going to happen because no one likes me." I gave, I honestly gave up. But what I said was true, no one likes me any more than a friend.

"I like you,"

I scoff, "Yeah, but in a close friend way you know?? Anyway, what's the real reason for you asking me to come here?" 

He looked at me and smiled. "I just wanted to spend time with you." 

I choke on my tea, managing to say "Spend time with me? Who made you this way?? You weren't like this when I left."

Laughing he asked, "So, how did you ended coming back?" 

"There were snakes at my old school, evil, backstabbing snakes." 

He smiled and looked out the window again. "You know I missed you." 

"Of course you missed me! I'm me, who wouldn't miss me." 

"I'm serious. It has been lonely without you." 

"Then, aren't you glad I'm back," I said teasing him. 

Laughing he stands up "Let's go home." 

We both get out our seats and walk in the direction of our houses. When I got home my parents were all over me, asking questions as any parents would. So I told them everything, starting from the beginning, leaving out the dating when he was taller than me part. After that, I went to sleep. It had been a pretty interesting day for me.