Now Serving: Custard Cake

Neo Cakes and Treats

 

Yutae

 

 

Taeyong’s passion in baking is unrivaled and he excels in making them as much as eating them. He always had a sweet tooth so it was never a surprise that he got into baking at such a young age. He started with frozen cookie dough his mother bought for them to bake at a oven toaster. Though it turned underwhelming, Taeyong still considered it as a success for his first try. He paid extra attention to his baking classes in high school and by the end of the term, he was awarded a scholarship to a prestigious culinary school to major in cakes and pastries.

 

 

Baking is not rocket science but it is an exact science; from the ingredients to the baking time. Taeyong wasn’t a nerd but he knew why there are measurements in baking: you can’t correct something once it is in the oven. Each ingredient has its purpose and while in cooking you can taste the dish while it is bubbling away, you can’t taste a cake batter unless you risk yourself getting salmonella. Taeyong knew that balance is important, and the methodology to come up with the final product, but once mastered, it’s as easy as pie (But he won’t ever say that because pie is not as easy as it looks and he eternally cursed his failed apple pie attempt back in college).

 

 

If there is one recipe that he could be proud off, it has to be his chiffon cake. A lot of novice bakers would fail making the simple cake, as the techniques in baking and cooling is very important or else the cake would collapse. Yet the cake is very versatile that Taeyong preferred it over any other sponges.

 

Chiffon cakes start with fresh eggs separated into yolks and whites, and the whites whipped to a medium peak, glossy and perfectly aerated.  The sugar added to the egg whites helps stabilizes the whites as it is being aerated and imparts sweetness to the cake.

 

 

Taeyong couldn’t remember how he had chance upon a curious customer at Neo Cakes and Treats, yet the then stranger’s face was deeply rooted in him. The boy was beautiful and when the stranger spoke, Taeyong can almost taste the sweet caramel on the tip of his tongue.

 

 

“It’s my mother’s birthday, can you suggest a good one to give her, not too sweet though.” The stranger inquired and Taeyong led him to the display where an assortment of pre-made cakes lined up and ready for anyone in a hurry.  “They are beautiful!” The stranger remarked and Taeyong smiled shyly at him.

 

 

“These ones are made with chiffon sponge, it is very light and midly sweet. We can customize the fillings to whatever you want. I prefer them over regular vanilla sponge because it’s less dense and has less fat in them.” Taeyong said and the man nodded.

 

 

“She likes Mangoes, do you perhaps have them…” The stranger looked at the nametag and smiled. “Taeyong. Do you have them?” The man asked and Taeyong nodded.

 

 

“We can make mangoes and cream cake for her, but it may take a few hours.” Taeyong replied and the man nodded.

 

 

“I’ve got time.” The man said and Taeyong nodded, leading him to the counter to finalize the order.

 

He handed a clipboard where his order was written along with the specific details such as the name to be piped on the cake and the number of candles to put on. Taeyong smiled as he read the man wrote his name as Nakamoto Yuta.

 

 

“Are you perhaps Japanese?” Taeyong inquired and the man, Yuta,  smiled and nodded. “Oh that’s nice to know.” Taeyong said in Japanese that made Yuta gape at him. “Are you going to wait for the cake or come back for it?” Taeyong asked in Japanese and Yuta was impressed with him.

 

 

I’ll wait.” Yuta answered as he paid for the cake and settled himself on the café side of the store to order some coffee and pastry to spend the time.

 

 

Chiffon cakes are very versatile that it can be use as bases for cream cakes like Strawberry Shortcake, Peaches and Cream and even Lemon Meringue cake. They are light and lower in fat so it is easily satisfying but not overwhelming.

 

 

“Hey Taeyong!” Taeyong looked up and he smiled as Yuta approached him.

 

 

“Hey Yuta, did your mom liked the cake?” Taeyong asked and Yuta nodded.

 

 

“Yeah, he told me to marry the baker.” Yuta joked and Taeyong laughed along.

 

“So what can I get you today?” Taeyong asked.

 

 

“Surprise me.” Yuta said and Taeyong grinned and told him to have a seat and he’ll serve it to him in a short while.

 

 

Ever since Yuta came that day, the caramel eyes and sweet smile of the Japanese stuck to Taeyong that it bothered and distracted him, almost ruining a perfect cake batter by overwhipping the egg whites. Taeyong sighed but at least the egg whites were salvageable. It took a few sleepless nights and a couple of research to finally translate the caramel brown hues to the decadent dessert that he is going to present to Yuta.

 

 

Custard cakes are essentially three desserts in one. The bottom of the pan is covered in a layer of caramelized sugar, the slight nutty burnt sugar gives depth of flavor to the dish. A layer of egg custard is poured in next; the dense yet smooth layer is a perfect contrast to the soft and light chiffon cake. The cake requires gentle cooking so a bain-marie or water bath is required to have even and gentle cooking so the custard and cake cooks through despite the difference in the required cooking temperature.

 

 

Taeyong approached Yuta with a tray of the custard cake still in the pan. The Japanese was excited as Taeyong placed the tray before him.

 

“it’s a custard cake.” Taeyong introduced the cake still in the pan and Yuta merely nodded at it.

 

The baker used an offset spatula to ease the sides of the cake away from the pan before taking a plate and covering the pan completely. In a swift move, Taeyong flipped the plate and the pan and placed it in front of Yuta, gesturing that he do the honors of unmolding the cake. Yuta happily but gingerly lifted the cake pan and when the caramel oozed out and the cake is revealed, Yuta’s brown eyes were bright and his smile was sweet.

 

“This is beautiful!” Yuta remarked and Taeyong thanked him as he collected the pan and the tray to bring back to the kitchen. “Join me?” Yuta asked and Taeyong looked at the counter, eyeing his co-worker who just winked at him, he sat across Yuta and handed him the fork.

 

 

Yuta thanked him once more and squealed a quick Itadakimasu before he took a bite of the decadent cake. His eyes grew impossibly wide and he grinned as he savored the complex taste of the dessert.

 

“How is it?” Taeyong asked nervously, as this was the first time he had served such creation, and to Yuta nonetheless.

 

 

“My mom is right.” Yuta answered and Taeyong raised a brow at it, he did not understand what Yuta was implying. “I should marry the baker.” Yuta said and winked at Taeyong while the latter blush scarlet and rubbed his nape while he laughed awkwardly.

 

 

“Don’t say that.” Taeyong chastised the younger but the Japanese merely winked at him as he took another bite of the cake, at how it was perfectly delicious.

 

“Why? You don’t like me?” Yuta asked boldly and Taeyong bit his lower lip and then looked at Yuta in the eyes, searching the caramel brown eyes for the lie but all he saw was sincerity.

 

 

“On the contrary, I may just take up the offer to marry you!” Taeyong replied with a squeak that made Yuta laugh.

 

 

“We’re serving custard cake for dessert.” Yuta said and he took another forkful of the cake and offered it to Taeyong who was surprised but gladly ate it.

 

 

“Definitely custard cake for dessert.” Taeyong agreed whole-heartedly and they shared the dessert until only the gooey caramel was left.

 

“See you Taeyong.” Yuta waved as he stood to leave but Taeyong stood as well and kissed his cheek.

 

 

“See you Yuta.” He said and if he ended up getting a kiss, a number and a promise of a second date in return, he could only smile at his luck.

 

 

“So, about the recipe?” Jaehyun asked as Taeyong returned to the counter with the tray of empty cake pan and plate.

 

 

“Make your own, that’s our dessert.” Taeyong said and from the corner they heard their Ten, their co-worker, laugh while Jaehyun pouted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----

 

a/n: Fun fact, my first custard cake was baked during a college class. Our group really failed making this one because in the middle of baking it, the oven’s gas supply was cut and we ended up realizing it only close to the end of the baking time and the class hours was running out so when we unmolded it, it was soup. My professor was disappointed but she had faith in our group so she brought us ingredients and the next lab session, she made us re-do the recipe and the smile on her face after we nailed it was so priceless that it became a fond memory for me.

 

Another fun fact: I actually baked a 10-inch custard cake for my aunt’s birthday and that took like 2 hours to cake and another 2 hours to cool down enough to unmold. We ended up cooling it in an ice bath to be able to serve it. My time management is really a mess lols.

 

I hope you won’t get diabetes with this mini series!