Key To My Heart

Key To My Heart

The sun was just about to rise but one man is already busy setting up his bazooka-like camera, meticulously finding the right angle and height in the busy airport of Gimpo. Once he was done, he looked around him and felt relieved when he saw no one else but him, waiting in front of gate 14. "I love being a morning person." He sighed as he took a seat. He was about to call his assistant when the latter came running to him, with a camera like his in one hand and a tripod on the other and a small but heavy bag slung on his shoulder. "I clearly said 5am, Jonghyun." He stood up and crossed his arms. His assistant, Jonghyun, (carefully) plopped all his things on the floor as he tried to catch his breath.


"I'm not exactly a morning person like you, Key." Jonghyun said as he rummaged through his bag to look for something to drink. "And I'm just-" he stopped and looked at his watch, "2 minutes late so don't you dare scold me." Key just rolled his eyes and told him to set his things up right away.


"Why are we even here this early?" Jonghyun asked him as soon as he finished setting up. "Their flight will arrive at like, 9am?"


Key shrugged. "I know. It's just that I don't want those kids to steal my spot, that's why."


"Steal your spot, my . Those kids are probably still sound asleep." He said as he swiftly avoided the cup lid Key threw at him.


Key (the name he insisted to be called, to stay anonymous), known as the owner of Key To Your Heart, a famous fansite for Shine Entertainment's most successful solo artist Onew, dedicated his time, effort and money to follow the artist in (almost) all of his schedules and provide well captured photos and videos to the fans. He's been a fan of Onew since his trainee days. Despite his own busy schedule (he has a normal job!), he would always find time to go and support Onew. But when he really can't go, he would push Jonghyun to do it for him.


Though one time, he was put into hot seat when there was one rumor about them being 'in a relationship'. Netizens claimed that some of his shots shows Onew is exclusively giving him 'intimate fan service' such as winking, his lips, sending him air kisses or whatsoever. Fans started shipping them together, or as they called them the 'OnKey' couple. They both denied the rumor, even calling it ridiculous by Onew's management, leaving fans disappointed though some of them are still doubtful because of the lame reason. Some of them remained a fan of the ship while the others brushed it off and continued with their lives.


"Oh, I almost forgot!" Jonghyun clapped as he once again turned to his bag. "Your mom told me to feed you this." He took out a small pink lunchbox and opened it, revealing a generous serving of Key's favorite sandwich. His eyes sparkled at the sight and immediately took a piece into his mouth. Jonghyun smiled at the sight, "Auntie said you skipped breakfast so when she saw me running to catch the bus, she handed me this." Key smiled at him as he took a piece for himself, leaving traces of mayonnaise on the sides of his lips.


"You eat like a kid!" He whined. "Why are you my assistant? My god, you're embarrassing."


"Because no one wants to be dragged early in the morning just to take photos of this hot guy?" Jonghyun retorted. Key just rolled his eyes and smacked the latter's head.


"Hey! I'm older than you!"


"I don't care." Key said as he poked his tongue out. Childish move but who cares.
 

--

At around 8am, Onew's other fansites started to flock in the airport and silently went to their places. They've greeted Key before setting their things up as the latter is somehow respected by these kids, as he calls them. He gave them a small smile and a quick nod before shifting his attention back to his camera.


Key then started seeing familiar faces coming out of gate 14. He heaved a deep sigh and peered over his shoulder to tell Jonghyun to get ready. After a minute or so, there he saw Onew, dressed in a navy-blue long-sleeved shirt tucked in his white pants. But when he saw what shoes he was wearing, he can't help but roll his eyes. It was that ugly Gucci slippers with fur. "What a fashion terrorist." Onew strode confidently, smiling here and there to the fansites and reporters who came before focusing his attention to Key. He gave him a small wave and winked at him, making Key's leg tremble a bit. He tried his best to take as many shots, even running while holding his damn heavy tripod to catch Onew before reaching his car. He then caught his lips mouthing a quick "You look great today." before the manager closes the car's door. Key released his breath he didn't know he was holding in and looked at himself. White turtleneck underneath a sleeveless wool sweater he got last Christmas, black skinny jeans and his favorite white sneakers. He smiled as he replays Onew's words in his head. He woke up from his trance when he heard Jonghyun chuckling beside him. "I recorded everything. Thank me later."


Key blushed as he started packing up, "I have the best assistant ever."
 

--


"Mom, I'm home!" Key yelled as he danced his way to the kitchen where his mother is cooking their dinner. His mother glanced at him with a small smile while stirring the kimchi jjigae. "How was your day? Did you eat the sandwich I made?" she asked. Key hummed as he grabbed a carton of milk out of the fridge. "It was fine. He looked amazing as usual." He said with twinkling eyes. His mom chuckled as she scoops some food for him to eat. "Now eat up. I know you skipped lunch." Kibum sat down and was about to pig out when his mom stopped him. "Oh, I almost forgot." she started, "You have a visitor and he's in the living room. Did you greet him?" Key raised an eyebrow as he slowly stood up and made his way to the living room. There he saw the man he just saw couple of hours ago sitting beside his bulky bag and equipments, a smile painted on his face.


"Hi! I think you didn't notice me here awhile ago." The man said as he stood up. Key couldn't believe his eyes that he started rubbing it. "Wait-- How-- Why-- What?"


"I missed you baby." The man hugged him, nuzzling his face on his neck.


Key hugged back, "I missed you too. So much." He pulled away to kiss the man on the lips. "So ing much."


"Uhm, mom? I-- We'll be in my room. We'll just eat uhm-- later!" Key said as he pulled away once again.


"Sure son! I bet Jinki has a lot of stories to share." His mom answered.


He grabbed Jinki's right arm and dragged him up to his room, locking it right after they got in. Jinki then pinned him on the wall and started kissing him again. Key was stunned at first but then decided to let himself melt into Jinki's arms.


"Do you know how much I wanted to run up to you and kiss you senselessly earlier at the airport?" Jinki said in between kisses. Key only hummed in response, too intoxicated to answer back. They made their way to the bed, with Jinki on top of Key. "Babe, I'm sorry I didn't follow you to Japan this time." Jinki's eyes softened as he kissed his forehead. "I got busy at work and it was a big deal so I can't skip it."


"It's okay, Kibum. I understand."


It turns out that the rumor is true after all. Jinki, which is Onew's real name, is indeed in a relationship with Kibum, Key's real name. They've been friends since they were babies and was inseparable ever since. They went to the same school together, stayed at each other's house every weekend and a lot more. They were best of friends. Partners in crime. Soulmates. Everything. Even their parents are good friends too.

 

“I’ll make it up to you.” Kibum said in between kisses. Jinki only stared at him, a smirk playing on his lips, “Why don’t we do it tonight?”

 

To make it short, they spent the night in each other’s arms, kimchi jjigae now forgotten in the kitchen.

 

--

 

Kibum woke up with a sticky note on his forehead. He scanned the room and saw no signs of Jinki. He shrugged as he read the note, smiling as he eyed the messy but cute handwriting.

My sched for today, sleepyhead~ ^^

  • Mubank recording (outdoors so please wear sunblock babe) – 2:00pm
  • Fansign at Lotte Mall – 3:00pm
  • Flight to Japan – 6:00pm

P.S.: I taped your ticket on top of your luggage. No need to pack because I already did it so don’t worry. And I already texted Jjong to wait for you at the airport with your luggage. I love you~

 

“Rise and shine, almighty Key!” Jonghyun said as he made his way to Kibum’s bedroom, eyes searching for the luggage he’s supposed to get. The latter glared at him before throwing a pillow to his direction. “Why so loud, dino!”

 

Jonghyun gave him a smile before picking the abandoned pillow up from the floor. “Sorry but someone told me to be one because he knows you’re dead tired from the activities you did last night.” He wiggled his eyebrows as Kibum blushed. “How many rounds, huh?”

 

“It’s none of your business. Wait for me downstairs.” Jonghyun only laughed as he threw the pillow back at Kibum.

 

--

 

Three days had gone by of him attending Jinki’s concert and events in Japan and now he’s back in Korea. After thanking Jonghyun for dropping him home from his flight from Japan, he hastily left his things on the couch and went straight to his room. He checked the time before falling face first on his bed, nuzzling his cheeks on his soft pillows. He fished his phone out to check if Jinki left a message or something to him but alas, there’s none, not even a single missed call. He thought that maybe Jinki was super tired (they got home at 3am) so he immediately went to sleep thus forgetting to text him like the usual.

 

Ding dong.

 

The doorbell rang, and it jolted him awake. He lazily stood up and went downstairs to check who it was. He was ready to curse the person who’s trying to ruin his well-deserved rest, but it all went down the drain when he saw Jinki standing in front of him, a bouquet of roses in his hands.

 

“Oh god, are you about to sleep?” Jinki said with an apologetic face. Kibum’s heart swelled at the sight and shook his head, “No, no! I actually just came back from the airport.” he yawned. He was surprised when Jinki dropped the bouquet on the floor and tackled him in a tight hug. “Sorry for making you feel so tired.”

 

He then shook his head again before wrapping his hand around Jinki, softly placing a kiss on his crown. “Don’t apologize to me. I chose this. I wanted this.” He froze when he heard him sob. “Hey, why are you crying?”

 

“I feel like I’m making things hard for you.” Jinki said, resting his head on Kibum’s shoulder. They didn’t even care to step inside the house as they were busy whispering sweet nothings to each other. “No, you’re not. I’m having fun, you know, following you around. It’s my promise to you, remember?” Kibum said as he kissed Jinki full on the lips. “And it’s because I love you so much.”

 

Little did they know that one of Jinki’s anti followed him to Kibum’s house and took a photo of them.

 

--

 

A week later, Kibum was quietly eating his toast on the couch when his mother turned the television on.

 

-Breaking news…, A photo of Onew apparently kissing a fan has been published by an anonymous anti-fan of the said artist. According to the anti’s post, Onew went to the fan’s house at around 3:10am and saw them kissing. He/she revealed that the fan he/she saw is none other than the owner of Key to Your Heart, one of Onew’s fansites. Months prior to this, the said fansite was involved to a rumor that they’re in a relationship with Onew. We’re now trying to contact Shine Entertainment about this matter. -

 

Kibum’s face went pale. His mom went to his side as she looked at him with worried eyes. He’s worried not only for Jinki but also his son. “Kibum…”

 

His phone rang and he immediately answered it, not checking the caller ID. “Hello?”

 

-Hello Mr. Kim Kibum, this is Shine Entertainment. We would like to invite you to our office today at 10:00am sharp. Thank you. – Beep. Beep.

 

He dropped his phone on his lap and turned to his mom, “Mom, I’m scared for Jinki. What if… what if…” he didn’t know he was already crying as his mom took him into a hug. “Don’t worry. Everything will be alright.”

 

“I was so careless,” he sobbed, “What if they take away Jinki’s dream away from him? I don’t want that to happen. He wanted this so much as much as I did. His dream is also my dream.” His mom continued comforting him when his phone rang again. This time he checked the caller ID and was surprised to see it was Jinki. He hesitated for a while, but his mom encouraged him to pick up the call. “Jinki…”

 

- Kibum! Are you okay? -

 

He sniffed, “Y-yeah. I’m so sorry, Jinki. I’m really sorry.”

 

- What are you saying, Bum? Don’t be sorry. -

 

“It’s all my fault. I was so careless. I didn’t think what would happen if someone see us. It’s all my fault. I’m so sorry, Jinki.”

 

- Kibum, no. It isn’t your fault. Please don’t blame yourself…- He heard Jinki trying to not stutter. He knows that he’s trying not to cry. - I love you, okay? So much. I’ll see you later. Take care. -

 

“I love you too. So much.” And with that, the call ended with Kibum’s heart feeling a bit better.

 

--

 

Kibum heaved a sigh as he stopped his car in front of Shine Entertainment’s building. Memories came flashing through his mind as he sat still.

 

“Kibum, I passed the audition!” Jinki told him one day while they were eating their lunch. Kibum’s eyes grew wide as he hugged the other.

 

“Are you serious?!” he said as he pulled back, eyeing the paper on Jinki’s hand. The latter nodded as he showed the result to Kibum. He smiled as he hugged the boy again, now peppering his cheeks with kisses, “I’m so proud of you!”

 

Kibum saw how greatly determined Jinki is to become a singer. Back when they were kids, he saw how talented the other is in singing. He would hear Jinki singing while taking a shower or while doing his homework. He then promised to himself that he will support Jinki no matter what. He was by Jinki’s side on his journey. He waited for him after practice, brought him lunch, ironed his clothes. Everything. It was hard for Jinki and for him too as he also got a job. He juggled his time for Jinki and his work, it was exhausting but he endured it all and did everything he could to help Jinki achieve his dreams.

 

Then the day they’ve been waiting for came. Jinki’s debut. He was at his work when Jinki called him and told him the date of his debut. He was so happy he completely ignored the things he needs to finish (Good thing his boss is a close friend of him and Jinki, so he didn’t mind Kibum leaving mid-work because he knows how Kibum prioritized Jinki above all) and went to meet up with Jinki at their favorite café.

 

“This is it, Kibum! My dream will finally come true!” Jinki smiled as he took Kibum’s hand into his. Kibum stared at him lovingly, he saw how Jinki’s eyes twinkled. “It’s not just your dream, mine too. Our dream will finally come true.” Jinki chuckled as he pulled Kibum’s hands to his lips and placed soft kisses on it, “I made it through it all because of you. I love you~”

 

“You’re so cheesy!” Kibum laughed as he pushed Jinki’s hands before leaning forward to peck the latter’s lips, “And I love you too~”

 

Kibum nervously walked inside the building and he was greeted by a man waiting for him by the reception area. “Mr. Kim Kibum?” he nodded meekly. The man gave him a small smile, “Let’s get on the lift. They’re already waiting.”

 

They arrived at the 14th floor, Kibum silently following the man to the conference room down the hallway. “Here we are, sir.” The man was about to open the door for him when he told him to stop.

 

“W-wait! Can I use the b-bathroom first?” When the man nodded and told him where the bathroom is located, he ran off. It was empty when he entered so he immediately locked it before facing the mirror.

 

“Good job, Kibum. You’re about to ruin your boyfriend’s career. The career he painstakingly built.” he buried his face on his hands, “Good ing job, Kibum! Good job!”

 

“Sir?” He heard the man knock. He quickly wiped his tears, “I’m coming.”

 

--

 

As the door opened, he was welcomed by the sight of the CEO, a few managers and employees, sitting inside. He quickly scanned the room to look for Jinki and there he saw him sitting right beside his manager, his eyes asking him if he’s okay.

 

“Mr. Kim?” the CEO stood up and called his attention. Kibum looked up and gulped as the man stared at him with an unreadable expression. “Please take a seat beside Onew.” Jinki quickly stood up and guided Kibum to his seat. The CEO watched it all happen before taking his seat.

 

“Mr. Kim, I believe you know why you’re here.” the CEO started as he leaned back his chair, his folded arms placed on his bulging beer belly.

 

“Y-yes, Sir. And I would li- “

 

“Onew, I want you to break up with him right away. In front of the media.” Kibum gasped. He turned to look at Jinki and saw the latter staring at his CEO with fury written in his eyes. He silently grabbed his hand from under the table to somehow calm him.

 

“With all due respect Sir, I would rather not do that.” Jinki answered. The CEO raised an eyebrow and smirked, “Really? How about your career then? This is a scandal we prevented to happen months before. But now we don’t know what to do because they have solid evidence.”

 

“I don’t care about my career. I knew this would happen, so I prepared myself.” Kibum squeezed his hand, telling him to stop but Jinki ignored it.

 

“You are our most successful talent, Jinki.” Kibum noticed the CEO calling Jinki with his real name so he sensed that this is getting more serious. “I can’t afford to lose someone like you. The industry needs you.”

 

Kibum opened his mouth to say something but Jinki cut him off, “I know that. But I can’t afford to lose the one I love either. I need him.” Jinki said as he turned his head to Kibum and gave him a small smile.

 

“But what do we say about the past rumor? Are we going to admit that we lied to the public?” one of the employees spoke up and directed the question to Jinki.

 

“Tell them the truth. I don’t really care.” he answered smugly. “Besides, after all of these, I’m quitting.” Gasps were heard as soon as Jinki dropped the news. Kibum roughly tugged his hand, “What are you saying?!?” he whispered. “You’re not quitting! This is your dream!”

 

Jinki faced him and cupped his face, “No. YOU are my dream.” Kibum is now sobbing as he pulled away from Jinki’s touch, “NO!” he stood up as he yelled. “You’ve worked hard for this Jinki! You’re not giving this all up because of me. I wouldn’t let that happen!”

 

“But Kibum—”

 

“If they want us to break up, then go. I wouldn’t mind. If it’s for your good, then I’m willing to let go.” Kibum doesn’t care if he’s crying loudly or whatever. He wouldn’t let Jinki give up his dreams just to be with him. He closed his eyes as he tried to even out his breathing. It was quiet for a while now, only the sound of his sobs is heard. He slowly opened his eyes to see Jinki covering his mouth, as if trying to stifle a laugh. Confused, he looked around the room to see everyone, even the CEO with soft smiles painted on their faces. “W-what?” he blurted out.

 

Jinki stood up and asked his CEO, “How’s my acting, Sir?” he smiled. The CEO walked up to them and patted their backs, “Your acting paid off.”

 

“W-wait… what?” Kibum stood there, confused at what was happening. The CEO turned to him, “This was a test for you, Mr. Kim. We planned everything out here with Jinki.” Jinki just smiled at him.

 

“Our company doesn’t really meddle with our artists’ relationships. To be honest, we only found out about your relationship with Jinki when the rumor came out. We asked him about it and that’s when he told me that you two are in fact in a relationship since you were in high school. Then we figured out that the only way to protect you and Jinki is to deny it. And now seeing how much you really love lil Jinki here that you’re willing to let him go is truly remarkable for us. We wouldn’t forgive ourselves if we broke you two up.

 

“Do you mean…”

 

“The company is now doing ‘damage control’, don’t worry. Besides, based from the public’s response to this, they’re quite okay with it. Though some are you know, not happy with it, but the majority accepted it. Some are even saying they knew it all along.” The CEO laughed. “Jinki’s album sales went up too. And they already formed a fanclub for you two.”

 

Jinki took his hand, “We’re all fine, Kibum!” Kibum can only stand there, with his head slowly taking in the information revealed to him. “You know what Jinki, we’ll leave you two alone.” With that, the CEO motioned the others to leave.

 

Once the door has closed, Jinki waved a hand in front of Kibum. “Babe?” Kibum shook his head and glared at Jinki before hitting him. “I ing hate you! Do you know how nervous I was?!?”

 

“Ow ow! Kibum, stop!” Jinki chuckled as he tried his best to avoid Kibum’s punches.

 

“And what? Giving up your dream for me?? You saying that I am your dream?? You’re so ing cheesy!!! I hate it!!” Kibum blushed as he threw in more punches to Jinki. “I hate you!!! I almost peed in my pants!!!”

 

Jinki caught his wrists and pulled him into a hug, “Just obeying my company’s command. They told me to do this.” Kibum pouted but still let himself melt into his lover’s arms. “But still. You know how much nervous I was. I hate you.”

 

“Hell, I was nervous too you know. After calling you last week, I broke down in front of my manager. Then I received a call from the CEO and told me that we need to talk. I was so nervous, I thought that he will fire me or something but when he presented me the plan, I was stunned.” he said. “And I love you too by the way.”

 

They stood there, hugging each other and listening to their hearts beating in sync for quite a while. Kibum looked up and pecked his lips. “You know what, you’re lucky you got into a company that understands.” Jinki chuckled at that, “I know right.”

 

“I love you, Jinki.”

 

“I love you more, Kibum.”

 

--

 

They held a press conference a day after, with Jinki walking hand in hand with Kibum in front of the press. They told everything, the truth about the company denying the rumor up to the scandal. They also revealed that the company took legal action against the anti-fan who uploaded the photo for invading privacy.

 

Everything went smoother than they have imagined. Jinki stayed at the top, even gaining more fans of all ages and gender. Those fans who shipped them before the rumors continued supporting them. Kibum resigned from his work as a graphic designer and continued managing his fansite, but now he’s become Jinki’s official photographer and an employee of Shine Entertainment. The company offered him the job, with him freely having control to everything like putting his watermarks on the photos he took etc. They even gave him the power to design Jinki’s fan goods as they’ve learned that Kibum’s old job.

 

“Jjong! Get ready, okay? He’s coming!”

 

Familiar faces started coming out of gate 9, with some of them nodding to Kibum’s direction. After a few minutes, there he saw Jinki, wearing a sleeveless black top, white ripped jeans, and combat boots. He quietly took photos of him as he walked down the airport like it’s a runway. Jinki looked around and smiled widely when he spotted Kibum. He skipped his way to him, arms wide open as he engulfed him in a warm hug. The fans and fansites started squealing as they took picture of the two when suddenly Jinki pulled Kibum to as kiss. Kibum’s eyes went wide, almost dropping his heavy DSLR but quickly closed his eyes and kissed back. The screams of the people around them tuned out, the sound of their hearts beating like crazy only filled their ears until they pulled away. They smiled at each other before hearing Jinki’s manager coughing behind them.

 

“Come on, lovebirds”

 

They both laughed as Jinki grabbed his hand, making the fans scream some more before settling themselves in the car. Kibum’s phone rang as soon as they strapped themselves in.

 

- I got it on camera, lover boy! A good angle too! Thank me later! You owe me another meal! –

 

“Who was that?” Jinki asked when Kibum ended the call.

 

“It was Jjong. You kind of forgot I’m with him today.” he chuckled.

 

“Woops, my bad. Let’s invite him to dinner then later?” Jinki asked.

 

“He would love that.”

 

Jinki leaned forward, their lips merely touching each other, “The key to my heart, I love you.”

 

“Cheesy. I love you too!” Kibum closed the gap between them, sealing their sweet words to each other with a kiss.

 

END