Game On

No Strings Attached
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Consciousness is lost a few minutes after and as she hears faint tunes in the back of her mind, Seulgi’s troubles slip away into dreams. This time nothing appears in her dreams, even when worried, something in her gut tells her it will be alright. The woman on her side, on the other hand, can’t quite fall asleep.

She closes her eyes and lets the music take over, but she feels herself aware still. Irene opens her eyes, it was no use to keep them close if she wouldn’t sleep, she thinks. Turning to her left, she can see Seulgi’s limp body begin to melt into the seat. The brunette has never had trouble falling asleep, anywhere, any time. Irene envies this for a moment before she turns to her right and sees Yeri fast asleep as well. They both have a talent, she thinks as she turns to the front again, thoughtful.

In the solace of darkness and silence she lets herself think about what awaits her once they land in Jeju. Nate, she closes her eyes and sighs for a second. As she opens them she regrets feeling so burdened by his presence. Shouldn’t she be happy? Excited to see her boyfriend? He is not my boyfriend, she corrects herself. Still, she is dating him. So where is the nervousness, the tummy butterflies? She sighs again. It is not supposed to be like this. Irene turns to Seulgi again and stares for a minute. The brunette is sleeping soundly, almost a smile forming in her lips. Irene whips her head back to the front and shakes it. She thinks of the words of that night, I’m bringin someone too, and she can feel her eyebrows begin to furrow. The raven dares to look back at Seulgi, her mind repeating what echoed on her apartment walls.  I’ve been seeing someone for a while, she can feel her stomach drop like it did back then, in a smaller scale this time.

You’ll meet her once we’re there, Irene flinches as her green orbs search for any movement in Seulgi’s face. How could Seulgi say that? She shakes her head again and forces herself to look away.  No. She cannot fall into this line of thinking. She can’t. She can’t feel like this about her best friend’s someone. She shouldn’t even feel any type of way until she can meet her. Right, that’s it, she’s just overprotective of her best friend. It has to be it. This black hole in the pit of her stomach is just doubt about Seulgi’s wellbeing. That makes more sense. Right?

Irene riddles her mind with every other worry she has ever had to forget the sensation inside when she turns to Seulgi every now and then. Like this, the flight goes by quicker and before she knows it, the wheels bounce on the pavement of the Jeju airport. Through her peripheral vision she can see Seulgi begin to wake up beside her, rubbing her eye and straightening herself. To the right, Yeri stirs in place and whines about being awoken, Irene giggles ever so lightly.

“Welcome back to the world.” she whispers to the youngest, the latter smiling through a yawn.

Seulgi opens her eyes slowly, and the landscape begins to slow down out the window. For a second, she feels calm, the sun outside is bright and the scenery is green. But a second later, her eyes widen. They’re here, she gulps, they would board in just a few hours and then the race begins.

Seulgi tries to control her breathing so no one notices, but she takes a second too long.

“You ok?” a soft whisper sounds on her side, making her hold her breath. She slowly glances over her shoulder, Irene’s concerned face coming to view.

“Hey, yeah.” she nervously answers, “I’m just excited we’re finally here.” she lies. Excitement for this trip died the second she told the lie. Ever since, thinking about arriving to the cruise has worried her.

“I am too.” Irene lies as well, smiling gently towards the brunette. She can’t help but dread the reunion with Nate, who is probably already waiting in the arrivals waiting room. Is this how girlfriends normally feel about their boyfriends? She regrets to feel this and, again, not my boyfriend, she corrects.

Seulgi gifts the raven an eye smile that she knows will end their light chatter. Irene stares at the gesture with a genuine smile this time, before returning her gaze to the front.

The brunette sighs, there is nothing she could do, still. Not until she sets foot on the boat. She needs to keep calm to not garner any suspicion. Breathing in, she settles her mind and begins to make sure everything is in order for her to get off the plane.

“You ready?” Irene speaks to her once more, in a lighter tone.

Seulgi smiles at the question, she feels like a child for a second, “Yes, mom.” she teases the raven, who only elbows her on the arm.

“So aggressive.” she chuckles as she rubs the spot, “Yerimie, you ready?” and speaks louder for the short haired to hear.

“Yeah.” the youngest laughs too, watching the older two bicker. It’s funny how Seulgi calls Irene mother, since they both act like that to her all the time. “You two behave yourselves, please. We just landed.”

Irene shakes her head as the smile on her face grows wider, now this feels more like it. This is what this vacation was truly all about. Her friends. Excitement finally grows on her.

“What are you all fighting about now?” Joy stands up and glances towards them, the plane finally still and safe for disembarkment.

“These two are acting like children.” Yeri tells on the oldest pair, both of them opening their mouth in offense but laughing nonetheless.

“When are they not.” Wendy stands too, joining in the ambush.

“Now, you all know who the children are, and it is not me.” Irene defends herself, Seulgi chuckling at the deliberate exclusion from her sentence.

“I can’t really argue with it.” Seulgi shrugs her shoulders, “I don’t make the best decisions.” she comments honestly. For more reasons than they know.

They all giggle but are interrupted by the over voice telling them they could get off the plane now. Irene stands up now, her smile fading as she looks at the gate. She wishes they could stay a little more in this conversation.

“I’m so excited to see Doyun, oh my god!” Yeri chirps as she gathers her bags and walks into the aisle.

“I hope Daeseong bought me some shrimp chips.” Joy adds, “I can’t wait to see him.”

“More chips?” Wendy exclaims, “You didn’t even eat any from the ones Yerimie bought.”

“I was asleep? Did you want me to sleep eat?” the redhead questions Wendy, who sighs in response, “Plus, I bet there are shrimp chips here that we don’t have in Seoul. If he knows me, he bought chips.”

“And what when you see he bought nothing?” Yeri arches her eyebrow teasingly.

“I will break up with him.” Joy answers abruptly, making them all laugh as they walk down the plane.

“Chuck must be losing his mind.” Wendy is the next to comment, “He is so close to the beach and he’s not there. I know his tweaking.”

The rest of the girls chuckle, but only so little, they don’t know how to act now that Wendy mentions her boyfriend. Not after the news broke out that he was returning to Australia and they still decided to keep their relationship going. It all feels awkward now whenever the light brunette mentions him. Wendy has noticed, but they had chosen to ignore their reality for the time being. And she would honor that agreement to the fullest. Plus, she wasn’t ready for the conversation with her friend group. They have always been too honest. And the truth hurts this time. So she ignores the looks among themselves when she mentions him.

“Nate probably bought unnie a pricy perfume at the duty free.” Joy teases towards the oldest behind her as they walk out the plane.

“Or some expensive sunglasses.” Yeri adds, “You just know it.”

Irene, Seulgi and Wendy laugh stiffly, the latter glancing over her shoulder at Seulgi’s reaction. The raven comments nothing, she just wants them to change subject.

Seeing Seulgis furrowed eyebrows, Wendy does just what Irene wants, “But what about our new best friend, Seulgi’s girlfriend?” well, not completely what Irene was hoping for.

“Will she have some noodles waiting for you once we board the cruise?” the shorthaired teases, Seulgi giggling with her eyes wide and tense. They all now walk along the hallway leading them to the arrivals room.

“Probably some chocopies and iced tea?” Yeri follows in Wendy’s suit, locking her arm with Seulgi who continues to giggle nervously.

“A cozy blanket and a copy of before sunrise maybe?” Joy does as well, locking arms with Seulgi’s leftover arm.

Seulgi smiles genuinely now, all of these things, they are her favorite things. Her friends numbering them so easily really shows just how much they know her, and she appreciates it.

“What do you all have on me?” she arches an eyebrow playfully and they all laugh together. All but Irene, who walks a few steps behind them. She tries to, a fake grin showing on her face, but she can’t bring herself to make any noise.

“I gotta say,” Seulgi gulps, trying to appear as relaxed as she can, “I can’t wait to see her.”

Irene stops walking for a second and stares at the back of the brunette, in between the redhead and the blonde, Wendy walking to their side but not locking arms. However, the raven terminates any beginning thought of what made her stop in her tracks almost immediately. Resuming her walk as she tries to catch up, the doors that separate the waiting rooms and exit come into view.

Irene wants to stop again, to not cross through there. And without knowing Seulgi wants the exact same thing. The brunette looks at the exit sign as a sentence. Once out, there is quite literally no going back. She breathes in as she feels the two girls detaching themselves from her. They are getting ready to jump into the arms of their boyfriends.

Seulgi lets herself long for the thought of it for a moment, she wishes she did have a girl waiting with noodles and fuzzy blankets outside the doors she walks under right now. Only for a moment though, the next moment she watches Yeri jump into Doyun’s arms and Joy into Daeseong’s.

She awkwardly watches Wendy quickly hug Chuck and turning to greet the others, and then she sees Nate. Standing there, looking towards her general direction, flowers and yeah, and expensive perfume bag in hand. Seulgi almost wants to roll her eyes, but is confused as to why she can’t see Irene already walking towards him.

A hand on her back pushes her forward, Seulgi surprised by the raven by her side, “You and I have a bet to settle.”

The mischievous smile grazing Irene’s lips calms Seulgi at first sight, the latter mirroring such expression as they reach the couples that chatter amongst themselves. Seulgi can see in quick glance how Nate’s face falls ever so lightly when he notices Irene not immediately coming to him. Especially since the other three had, Seulgi can sense in herself a little pity for him.

As they both reach the group, Nate does get closer to Irene, who finally acknowledges him and lets him kiss her cheek. Seulgi too occupied being greeted by the other boys to notice.

Irene regrets her thoughts as soon as she gets a closer look at Nate, he is a good man. And he is very much in love with her, she can see it in his eyes. The raven hugs him, and sighs lightly in his embrace, coming out of it with a genuine grin and blushed cheeks as he hands her the flowers and gift.  They ask each other about their trip quietly and quickly, making sure the other was comfortable, turning then to the group as well.

Seulgi is hugged by the other boys, they have been her friend’s partners for a long time now. They had met in many other occasions before and they have mutual appreciation. They were good men, and they treated her friends kindly, Seulgi considered them friends too. They all were friends, Irene greets them in a hug a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter