A dream, aloud

Sweet Disposition

Wu Xuan Yi was 8 years old when she knew that she wanted to be a doctor. She practically grew up in a hospital. Her parents believed that despite their busy schedule, they should be the ones to raise Xuan Yi and not anyone else.

 

Ever since she was young, they would always take her to their clinic to watch over her after classes, and the hospital became her second (albeit unorthodox) home. She knew every corner of the hospital, all the places to explore and all the places her parents would allow her.

 

The nurses on her parents’ floor, the attendants, the janitors, they all knew of the inquisitive and curious Xuan Yi. She loved meeting new people. The gods must have also blessed her with an impenetrable immune system because she never got sick even if she stayed in the hospital for hours.

 

She would always notice her parents’ patients leaving the clinic with a big smile on their faces. Sometimes they would enter crying, but her parents made sure that they left with those tears dry.

 

Xuan Yi is with her dad on the way home after a long day at the hospital. This was the usual walk home through a park by a river. Her mom usually goes home a bit later so this has become their little tradition. Today the orange sunset painted the evening sky purple.

 

Curiosity gets the best of her.

 

“Dad, why do you do it? Why did you become a doctor?”

 

Her dad slows down to think.

 

“Very good question honey. I think it’s always been the same reason I’ve had when I was your age; I wanted to help people. I was always interested in people and talking to them just like you.” He hands her favorite seaweed snack to munch on as they talk.

 

“Just like you, I love science. And I wanted to put two of my favorite things together. To be able to help people, make them smile, it’s really something Xuan Yi.” She could see there was something different from her dad when he talks like this, a completely different aura had surrounded him.

 

“I want to make the world a better and safer place, for everyone. Especially for you Xuan Yi.” It’s cheesy, but Xuan Yi doesn’t mind because she’s trying not to tear from her dad’s words.

 

Those last few words sink deep into Xuan Yi, and from it, an idea floats into the 8-year old’s mind. Xuan Yi was 8 years old when she knew that she wanted to be a doctor.

 

 

“How are you seriously eating all of that?!” Xuan Yi couldn’t help but laugh at her close friend Meng Mei Qi, who was wolfing down what was left of her 4th bowl of hotpot.

 

“Hey! I don’t judge your addictions.” Mei Qi says. As she’s about to finish the last of the bowl a hand out of nowhere takes.

 

The arm the hand belonged to drapes over Mei Qi.

 

“That’s because seaweed is not an addiction, it’s her lifestyle.” Said arm belongs to Cheng Xiao, another close friend of Xuan Yi.

 

“You bet! And don’t forget my love for some ramennn.” Xuan Yi says as she wolfs down on her on her bowl.

 

Xuan Yi had many friendships over the years, but nothing could compare to the bonds she made with these 2 girls. Growing up in the hospital didn’t make Xuan Yi as socially graceful as her peers, so meeting Mei Qi and Cheng Xiao during their Chinese dance class in grade school was a blessing.

 

Xuan Yi's first impression of Cheng Xiao was "barbie doll". Though she never really talked during classes, her dances spoke for her. It was mesmerizing. She could have been a professional dancer or even a gymnast, but she decided to take up biology due to her parents' wishes. She ended up liking biology anyways and was an honor-roll student. Cheng Xiao was quite the popular student and was friends (or at least friendly) to everyone she met.

 

Xuan Yi found Mei Qi quite talkative, just like her,  and having a really strong character. And this showed through her dance moves, which were very powerful and upfront. Which wasn't the point of Chinese dance sometimes, but it was always eye-catching. Mei Qi and Cheng Xiao were already friends, and it was Mei Qi who actually talked to Xuan Yi first. Well, more of helped Xuan Yi to her feet after tripping in front of Mei Qi. Though this lead to an impromptu hangout at a nearby hotpot restaurant, and the rest was history. 

 

The girls are currently in their 3rd year in college, and in the same course called Medical Biology. An experimental pre-med course, not only did their college give them access to state-of-the-art teaching facilities, it has a student exchange program to Korea. Now the girls were at their usual hotpot place outside of school. They’ve been planning this for years since they entered college, and even learned Korean just for this trip.

 

Cheng Xiao brings the topic back to the reason why they’re meeting.

 

“Okay girls let’s get down to business. The deadline for our college of choice is close, and we’ve already narrowed down our choices. Now we just need to pick one.”

 

“Okay, but why not this one again?” Mei Qi picks up the card saying JYPU

 

“Because Yuehua doesn’t collaborate with them. It’s either we go for Tencent’s Korean campus, or Starship University” Cheng Xiao states factually.

 

“Why don’t we just go for Starship then? Tencent’s EVERYWHERE. Starship, on the other hand, is something new, and for sure we get to meet different people!” Xuan Yi holds up the card for Starship.

 

“Any objections Mei Qi?” Cheng Xiao asks.

 

Mei Qi thinks hard. Then she smiles.

 

“First time Xuan Yi actually makes sense. I like the idea. Okay, we choose Starship!”

 

Cheng Xiao keeps the rest of the cards and puts the Starship card in the middle.

 

And I second that. Okay, it’s decided! Starship university will be our campus for our student exchange program!”

 

In a couple of months, the girls will be in Korea. Korea has been slowly rising in terms of healthcare ever since adapting to a more worldly and wholesome system in treating patients, and this got the girls very excited. And it’s overseas, a little adventure wouldn’t hurt.

 

Cheng Xiao excitedly grabs the freshly served bowl of hotpot.

 

“And on cue, more food! Pabo wasseo!”

 

Xuan Yi and Mei Qi burst out in laughs.

 

“YOU MEAN PAB RIGHT? Mei Qi corrects her, as Cheng Xiao joins in with her dolphin laugh.

 

Xuan Yi was 19 years old, and little did she know that her life had made a major turn in one direction. And it only had just begun.