SIGNAL FIVE: LIMITS

SIGNAL: A Twice Fan Fiction

"Ya~ Jihyo-ya, you're late." said the taller girl.

"Don't be too harsh Jeongyeon, you know Jihyo is very busy. Besides, we only got here five minutes ago." said the other girl. 

 

The shorter girl turned towards Chaeyoung and introduced herself. "Annyeong haseyo, I'm Im Nayeon. You can call me Nayeon unnie." Nayeon smiled, exposing her distinct bunny teeth. She had long, wavy dark brown hair that was tied up in a half ponytail, wearing over-sized round glasses.

 

Jeongyeon, who was still obviously upset, also introduced herself. She sports a boyish style, yet still feminine, with her mushroom cut hair, and piercing eyes. She was four inches taller than Chaeyoung. 

 

Chaeyoung never gets intimidated, but this time, she did. She made a slight bow towards the two and slightly stuttered while introducing herself.'Wah, she's so tall and scary looking. I shouldn't get on her bad side'. Chaeyoung thought to herself.

Jihyo giggled. 

"Don't get intimidated, she may look scary but she's actually pretty soft. She thinks you're an adorable little kid." said Jihyo.

Chaeyoung gave her a can-you-not-read-my-mind look. Jihyo nodded, still with a smile on her face.

Jeongyeon's face turned red. Nayeon on the other hand, was amused. "Jeongyeon, Jihyo exposed you. Hihi."

 

After exchanging formalities, the four girls sat down on the bench, and a table appeared from the ground. On it, were three tablets containing the blueprints of the building where Myoui Mina is being held. 

"How are we going to get inside?" asked Chaeyoung.

"That would be Jeongyeon and I's job" said Jihyo.

Jeongyeon has the ability to stop time, but just like everyone else, there's a limit to her ability. She can only stop time for a total of ten minutes per day, and takes an hour for it to regenerate.

"I'll use my clairvoyance to figure out where the guards are stationed, as well as the blind spots. If we're in a pinch, that's where Nayeon comes in." 

Nayeon has the ability to reset time. The catch is, she can only go back 30 seconds, seven times a day, and it takes nine minutes for it to regenerate. 

"Chaeyoung, you'll be in charge of Myoui Mina."
 

"M-me? Why me?" asked Chaeyoung. She has never had a responsibility as big as this one. She got scared.

"Myoui Mina is held inside a bullet-proof, one way box. She can't see what's outside from within, but we can see her from the outside. You can use your telekinesis to figure out how to open the door." Jihyo explained.

Jihyo further explained the details of the mission. She would stay in the van, monitoring the cameras, and talk to Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon, and Nayeon through their earpiece, guiding them every step of the way. She also considered that Mina won't be able to control her powers, or might be too weak to help them escape.

Jeongyeon is in charge of stopping time in absolutely three occasions. Two minutes to get passed security, two minutes to give Chaeyoung time to open the door, and another two to get back in the van. It's crucial for the plan to work.

Nayeon will reset time whenever they get caught, or if one of them gets in trouble. Given the limits of her powers, she has to decide when and where she needs to use her ability.

 

"To prevent our identities from getting exposed, I made code names for us. Jeongyeon, you're Ostrich. Nayeon, you're Bunny. Chaeyoung... you'll be Kitty. As for me, Owl." said Jihyo. 

"Tomorrow will be the day we save Myoui Mina. For now, we'll be testing the limits of our abilities, as well as our team work."

 

Another door opened inside the white room. Behind it, is a big room filled with top of the line technology designed to withhold damage on a nuclear level. The four of them walked up to the window and saw Nanan, Jeongyeon's pet dog. 

"Jeongyeon, you're up." said Jihyo.

Jeongyeon went inside and ran straight to Nanan. As she was petting her dog, she noticed that a time bomb was attached to it. 

One minute. 

59 seconds... 

58....

Her eyes widened. She looked back to the window where Jihyo was standing, glared at her with tears in her eyes and screamed.

"What the hell are you playing at? Get this off of Nanan, right now!" as she struggled to remove the bomb from Nanan.

You're running out of time. Jihyo said telepathically, with no trace of sympathy in her eyes.

Chaeyoung and Nayeon gave a worried look to Jeongyeon, and then a judgmental one to Jihyo. 

"Ya, Jihyo-ya, aren't you taking this a bit too far?" yelled Nayeon while grabbing Jihyo's shoulders.

45 seconds...

Jeongyeon stopped time. She still struggled to remove the bomb from Nanan. She was hysterically screaming, crying, her judgment, clouded. Ten minutes passed. Time started moving again.

40..

30..

20..

10..

9..

 

Chaeyoung got up, and banged the window from the other side. "Jeongyeon-sshi, get out of there! Right now!" 

"Don't bother. She can't hear you from here." said Jihyo.

Nayeon tried to open the door, to no avail.

BANG!

Nanan exploded. Jeongyeon, who couldn't think straight at the time, didn't let go of Nanan. She flew ten feet away from the explosion, and had cuts all over her face from metal shards that came from her beloved pet. 

 

Jeongyeon wasn't moving. Nayeon looked at Jihyo. "Open this door right now!"

 

Another timer appeared on the fiber glass door. One minute. Nayeon had to wait one minute before she could get to Jeongyeon.

"Let me in!" Nayeon screamed while banging on the door.

 

The timer went off, and finally the door opened.

 

Chaeyoung was frozen. She couldn't do, or say anything. She had her eyes fixed on Jeongyeon, who was lying motionless on the floor.

 

Nayeon ran straight to Jeongyeon, held her in her arms, and tried to wake her up. "Jeongyeon-ah.. Ya, Yoo Jeongyeon!" she screamed while tears flooded her face.

 

Reset time. Ten seconds before Nanan exploded. Jihyo told Nayeon telepathically.

40 seconds.. Nayeon thought to herself. She can only go back 30 seconds. Her mind was filled with self doubt. 

If you want to prevent this from ever happening, and save Yoo Jeongyeon, reset time. Go back 40 seconds. 

Nayeon froze. She heard what Jihyo said, but she has never reset time for more than 30 seconds. She looked at Jeongyeon, who was still unconscious in her arms. Nayeon was filled with doubts, but she couldn't bear seeing Jeongyeon hurt.