SIGNAL FOUR: THE LAST NORMAL DAY

SIGNAL: A Twice Fan Fiction

Chaeyoung, once again cried herself to sleep that night. As someone who wants to keep her life as normal as possible, suddenly switching schools and leaving her family and friends became too much for her to handle. 

 

She woke up early the next day. With her tired face and swollen eyes, she became worried that everyone in school would stare at her, and ask her about things she doesn't want to talk about. She took a warm bath, and stayed there for an hour, in an attempt to lower down her stress, as well as the swelling on her face.

 

Chaeyoung doesn't usually do her make up when going to school, but that day, she felt like it was necessary. She would rather have her classmates assume that she has a date right after school, than ask her why her eyes are puffy.

 

She looked at the mirror and thought, 'This is it.  I have to tell Yeri and Rose that I'm leaving as soon as possible. It has to be today.' Tears started running down her face again. She pulled out a few tissue to wipe away her tears, and to keep them from ruining her make up.

 

She got out of her room, and started making breakfast and packed lunch for her family. Mrs. Son woke up to her daughter setting up the table and said,

 

"Wah~ it's a miracle, my daughter woke up early to make breakfast for us." Mrs. Son gleefully sat down at the table. "Go wake up Jeong-hoon. We should eat breakfast together."

 

Chaeyoung and her family spent that morning like a normal family. Chaeyoung and Jeong-hoon were fighting over the rolled omelet, while Mrs. Son, watched them with a smile on her face.

 

Chaeyoung waited for Yeri and Rose by the bus station and they all went to school together. They talked about boys, school, and how Rose met three other girls to make a pop band with.

 

"Oh yeah, I met them at the Day6 concert. They happen to also know how to play music instruments. I'll play guitar, Jennie on bass, Jisoo on keyboard, and Lisa on drums. We're playing later tonight at Cafe Tats. You should come and meet them!" said Rose.

"Sure, I would love to. I'm really proud of you Rose." Chaeyoung replied.

"I got accepted at SM Entertainment as a trainee." said Yeri.

"Oh! Jinjja?" said Rose and Chaeyoung.

"That's awesome! Now all that is left is Chaeyoung! What are your plans Chaeyoungie?" said Rose.

 

Chaeyoung gave a worried, but slightly relieved look. Both of her friends are doing something important with their lives, so she doesn't have to be worried about them being lonely.

"Actually, girls... I'm transferring school next month. I got accepted into a private school and they offered me a full scholarship..."

Yeri and Rose were shocked, but they were supportive. The trio spent the whole day together, watched Rose's gig, met with her band mates, and walked Chaeyoung home.

"Don't worry about us, Chaeyoungie. It must have been hard for you to decide, but an opportunity like that is hard to come by. We're happy for you and we'll always support you." said Yeri.

 

Chaeyoung gave the both of them the tightest hug she has ever given anyone. She went inside her house, and straight to her room. She saw a silhouette of a girl by her window and the lights. It was Jihyo.

"How did you get in here?" Chaeyoung asked.

Jihyo giggled and said "I know where you put the spare key. I'm clairvoyant, remember?"

Chaeyoung sighed in disbelief.

"You can't just break into someone's house!"

To which Jihyo replied with "I was kidding. Your mom let me in. She was very nice."

Chaeyoung groaned, but still offered Jihyo to sit.

"Why are you here?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I'm here because one of us is in trouble." said Jihyo with a troubled look. "She was captured by the government on her way to Seoul. She couldn't control her powers and made a scene at the airport, resulting in the special forces being deployed and they took her in custody."

Jihyo pulled out her smart phone and showed Chaeyoung a video of a girl with long black hair, wearing a dress, gray coat, and six inch heels. Her initial thought was Wow, she looks elegant, but before she could say it, the girl in the video started grabbing her head as if she was in excruciating pain. The video had no audio, but it was obvious that she was screaming. All of a sudden the people around her started hurting themselves, while the others fell on the ground as if they all had fainted. 

"Mind Manipulation. That's her ability." said Jihyo while putting her phone in her back pocket. "She had requested to come earlier than the others, because it was getting too difficult for her to control her ability."

"What does that have to do with you coming to my house?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Well, you see Chaeyoung, we need your ability." said Jihyo. "The others aren't suited for stealth missions. Some also couldn't make it as they have other things to settle before coming to Seoul. The girl in the video, Myoui Mina is at risk of being exposed. We cannot have the government find out about us before having the chance to train. We have to save her as soon as possible."  

Chaeyoung was hesitant, but could not help but think how that beautiful, elegant girl might be suffering as of that moment. Chaeyoung may seem cold on the outside, but she is a very kind girl- a girl who cannot stand idly while someone is suffering.

 

Jihyo sent her a link through their Signal app. It was the coordinates of where they would meet the day after.

 

She woke up at four in the morning, silently got ready, and was extra careful not to wake her family up. She followed the directions to the meeting place in her app and was confused as to why she ended up at Cafe Tats, the coffee house near her school. She stood in front of the entrance for what seemed like forever, trying to get in the cafe. 

 

Then finally, a short, foreign looking woman showed up inside the cafe. It was the barista. She never paid much attention to her before, but the difference between her during the day, and how she looked at the moment was night and day. She was wearing a black suit, and instead of the messy bun and over-sized glasses she sports during the day, her hair was tied up in a ponytail, got rid of the glasses, and on her hip, a small hand gun was holstered.

"G-gun? Is she from the mafia? Am I in the wrong place? Oh my God am I caught up in something illegal?" Chaeyoung freaked out. She was about to run away, but when she turned around, Jihyo was there.

"Oh, Chaeyoungie, you're here. Come inside, everybody is here." Jihyo grabbed her by the arms. Chaeyoung tried to break free, but eventually calmed down because of Jihyo's presence. Jihyo placed her hand by handle on the glass door, and a scanner appeared. The door opened.

 

The barista made eye contact with Jihyo, and spoke with a very low, but stern voice.

 

"What does it mean to live as a very special existence?"

 

Which Jihyo replied with "Don't be shaken, shout out loud  to the world with your one and only voice."

The barista nodded, turned around, and lowered her head.

A door suddenly appeared behind the bar. Behind the door was a white room, with a long bench where two other girls were sitting.

 

"Jeongyeon-sshi, Nayeon sshi, thank you for coming. I would like you to meet Son Chaeyoung, the telekinetic."