Crimson Night

Crimson Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Through the open window she seized sight of the glorious moonlit sky with the moon shining brightly. The cold breeze that had entered her room sent chills to her slender body, seeping into her thoughts. Byulyi and their love -- how she regretted her misjudgments, the things that happened; those of no ordinary nature.

As the memories sink in, Yongsun remembered the incidents, way beyond logical explanation.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The tranquil night felt reassuring and comforting for Yongsun, as she just got home from work; tired.

Yongsun was a single and work driven woman, she was young and very young indeed. The apartment she lived in was an exemplification of  her; it was a total description of her; simple spacious, functional. It was convenient living in that apartment because of its good location; her work place wasn’t far from it nor was the grocery store a far walk.

Later in evening Yongsun began her late night conversations on the phone with her friend Wheein as usual...

As yongsun and wheein were in the middle of their talk, a strong gust blew the window of her room open. It was very unusual that night for so strong a wind would blow, for the evening was calm; the kind of calmness that was soothing

one eerie moment broke the utter silence.

Due to yongsun's curiosity, she instantly spoke to wheein over the phone “I’ll call you back” and set it down by the bedside table

yongsun then went near the window and stared into the darkness of the night, to her surprise.. she saw a vague figure; it was a woman, which had been on the sidewalk of the street across from her house.

Shortly, another strong wind blew, now even stronger than the previous one making her step away from the window, squint her eyes, lose sight of what she was looking at and almost knocking her down to her feet, Yongsun managed to keep her balance and sought for the window again, carefully looking outside, gazing at the darkness before her, she scanned for the woman she had seen earlier.. the woman she saw or she thought she saw was now suddenly gone, or "was she never there to start with?" she thought to herself.

 

The next day at their work place yongsun and wheein during one of their breaks, had begun a conversation of what happened the night before.

“What was that last night, you hung up” wheein asked.

“Oh, erm, that was nothing; I just had something to do that time.”

wheein was still curious about what really occurred but did not pursue her thoughts further, thinking that it was none of her business.

“Say, can I ask you a question?” yongsun said

“Sure, about what?” wheein answered

“Was the weather last night unusual?” yongsun inquired.

“No, not really” wheein clearly declared

yongsun was in deep thought of what her friend had said.

Who was that woman she had seen, will she see her again?

—indeed she had been oddly fond of that incident since then.

 

A month had passed since yongsun’s peculiar experience, she had totally forgotten all about it.

Same as before, yongsun would go home late in the evening because of overtime from work, weary and tired; she would just change into her pyjamas and go straight to bed. She eats dinner at the office, though you can’t call it proper dinner because it’s just take-out food from the store across the street of her work place.

yongsun was already wrapped up in her bed, safely in the comfort of her soft pillows and sheets, when. . .

A strange and odd thing happened.

The same incident that occured a month ago happened all over again,

But now, she got a clear look at the stranger who was standing across the street.

The woman was very beautiful, efeminite with a slight hint of masculinity, albeit "handsome", tall, had hair as black as the darkness that had surrounded her, she possessed eyes that were dark hazel in color almost as if reflecting the night sky; those eyes had seemed to have sadness in them.

Yongsun had managed to make out the womans features because of the street light that illuminated her and the light that had come from her place in the apartment complex which was not that high up the building.

Yongsun called out to her,

 “Miss, who are you?” but she didn’t get an answer.

The woman had started to walk away and moments later had disappeared into the darkness with just a blink of an eye.

 

The next day, yongsun had related what she saw to wheein and even then her friend was doubtful of what she was saying,

it was unlikely for a single event to exactly happen again.

After the conversation, wheein and yongsun along with their other co-worker hwasa, found themselves walking through the bustling city streets with coffee hand in hand.

Just as they were passing an old bookstore, yongsun caught a glimpse of a woman who had the same eyes as those of that mysterious stranger at night whom she frequently had an encounter with.

Suddenly, there was a rush in the crowd and she got separated from wheein and hwasa.

Yongsun thought to herself that a great oppurtunity had presented itself for her to follow that seemingly familiar woman.

“oh great, now I’m suddenly stalking someone, that's just ing great Yongsun! ing great!” yongsun mumbled to herself, speaking in a voice just above a whisper.

Yongsun went into the bookstore; walking, in a slow pace, passing through each and every gap between the shelves hoping to see her; the woman she had been eyeing to have walked into the store

The bookstore was really odd and old, the books were old too, but I’d say there’s too much treasure in these kinds of places, it’s just that nobody pays attention to it; not many people went in to have a look. The inside was awfully dusty and full of cobwebs and the ornaments that were displayed gave a weird feeling to those who see them

as a sign of decades that have passed, the shelves were no longer sturdy and thus seem could fall apart any time soon.

While Sarah was taking glances and looking upon the titles of certain books, and and upon pulling one out of its place, the shelf shook and yongsun closed her eyes thinking the same would topple over her and fall onto the floor.

Surprisingly, yongsun wasn’t hurt, thanks to the woman who had pulled her just in time before she could get squished below and possibly break a rib or two.

“Thank you, I could have been…” yongsun said but she couldn’t continue because she was shocked to see that the woman who had helped her was the one she was looking for.

“Are you hurt?” she said with a gentle voice.

“No, I’m not, thanks to you” yongsun replied in thanks as she stood straight up and stared right into her eyes that were dark and sad,

This was the first time she got close to him; to have a look at her face— she was pretty but yongsun had also considered her as handsome by her own standards; physically attractive, yongsun thought; she could attract as many women if she’d want to. She also had thin, small red lips, those that were deemed surely kissable "what am i thinking?" yongsun thought to herself, taking in the beauty right before her.

The old man on the counter had rushed to yongsun and the mysterious woman who had by then broke the moment between the two. The old man which seemed to be the owner apologized for what happened, and in exchange gave yongsun a weird book that she couldn’t resist for the sake of respect and courtesy to the old man.

Right after the accident, the two went outside the store.

“Excuse me? Thank you for helping me, could I offer you lunch in return for what you did for me?” yongsun offered.

“How could I resist. . .

so fine a woman asking me” accepting the offer, the woman smiled accordingly.

“Well, I know this great diner near this place”

“Should we get going?”

And the both had smiled after yongsun's last statement.

Yongsun was so interested in getting to know the woman who she was having lunch with, and she was truly a natural conversationalist herself.

“I’m afraid I haven’t introduced myself, I’m Yongsun, Kim Yongsun” yongsun stated all flustered as she had forgotten the basics of firstly introducing oneself.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter