Final

Until

She used to be my muse, my life, my everything. She painted me with all kind of colors in my blank life. Until I realized, I’ve been doing her wrong all the time. I’ve taken her for granted.

Cicadas screech as we met for the first time in summer. We talked as we’ve known each other for a long time. Her sweet-talk, dorkiness, and way of thinking inside a charismatic demeanor made me believe, it may be what they called unrequited love. Until she asked me to be hers.

Her kindness, cheesiness, choice of words always had me smiling like an idiot. Her awfully greasy side never failed to cheer me up on a bad day. Her gifts had me melt like grated cheese on top of a baked potato. Until I learned we’re both a broken soul inside of a tough shell.

We trusted each other so much as no secrets are shared between the two of us. We felt our existence completed each other. We protected each other. We shared our thoughts, laughter and so much more. Until I realized that I unconsciously hurting her feelings over and over.

I used to hear her said sorry for everything even though it is not her who’s at fault. We never had any big fight because we’re just too forgiving for each other. She always forgave me for my doings, and I always forgive her because she didn’t even do anything wrong. Until that one day, she asked my forgiveness for loving someone other than myself. Foolishly, I did as she promised me she won't do that anymore.

Seconds passed without any cute typing shared between two of us are unusual. I miss her sweet-talk, dorkiness, and her outer demeanor that shows her overflowing confidence. When I thought she’s busy with her task, it turns out we part away right before the cicadas screech again next summer.

I’m thankful to met someone like you. I’m grateful for the times we shared. I’m happy when you’re living your life happily, free and loved. How your smile reaches your eyes for other than me. I hope she never took you for granted as I did. Until we meet again, Byul-ah.

 

With love,

Kim Yong Sun