#Chapter 1

The Flower in a Cage
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

~

 

Blood. 

It was everywhere. 

I let out a silent scream as I watched the scene in front of me unfold. Tears were running down my cheeks as I struggled to get free from these men that holding me back. I could feel the cold, sharp blade one of those men put on my cheek, preventing me to keep moving. But, I was such a stubborn girl, I didn't care with the consequences. I tried once again, with so much force that the blade ended up hurting me. The pain made me wince, though not enough for me to give up. 

My vision turned blurry, full with red as I screamed louder when I saw her body didn't move anymore. 

I struggled, hitting my head with one of them, biting the nearest hand I could reach.  I knew it was useless, I was just a little girl when there were three grown up men pinned me down.

But I didn't care, I just wanted my mother warm hugs. 

And they stole it away from me. 

~

 

 

I Bom's back endearingly, he was my companion for the past five years, along side with Joohyun. His big round eyes always made my day. 

It was a nice morning until I heard Joohyun screaming my name urgently, her face was red and full of sweats. As far as I knew her since years ago, there were two reasons for her to be that panicked. One, I did something that I supposedly couldn't do. And two, my father found out about it. 

I wondered what it was, I didn't do anything yet today besides taking Bom for a walk. Did father found out I ate two bowls of rice for breakfast? I could clearly hear his nagging in my head already, "a noble woman didn't eat too much!" Though I didn't really understand, for a fact, we weren't noblemen. Or he found out I kept one of his guns from the far away kingdom in one of my drawers? Or it was because I practiced archery last night at the backyard? Hunted rabbit last week? Then met up with the tiger hunters? Fishing at the freezing lake in the middle of the night? 

I wasn't sure which one. 

I just hope it wasn't about the gun. Knowing him, it would end up with hole in Bom's head. And I wouldn't want that. 

But, I was wrong.

It wasn't because of those two frequently happened reasons. Neither it was because of Joohyun thought I was doing some crazy things (her words actually, not mine), nor my father found out my recently crazy escapades (again, not my words, because I thought it wasn't crazy until you betray and kill someone).

Though,  it was sure much worst than my expectation. 

Seemed like Joohyun was running all the way from home to come here, her breath was shortened and uneven. "My Lady! Someone is coming to ask for your hand in marriage!" Joohyun wasn't taking a break when she delivered the news to me.

"It's not the first time, remember the old Mr. Park from last week? Or, the illegal kid from Jung's family, or the peddler Mr. Han? Father declined all of them right away" I tried to smile, even if my heart wasn't too sure. I was lucky enough farther didn't find any worth from the past suitors. Again, knowing him, he would marry me off to someone who could give him something that he desired. 

"It is from the royals!"

That wiped off my smiles almost instantly, the royals sure had enough powers to fulfill whatever my father desired.

I was doomed. 

~

 

 

We entered the backyard of my father's spacious house, the servants automatically bowed when they encountered me. But, I just walked straight ahead, slightly felt nervous as I got closer to my father's chamber. From afar, I saw unfamiliar servants wearing dresses so fancy, and those eunuchs patiently waited in front of my father's chamber. I halted on my steps, made Joohyun looking at me questioningly.

"My Lady?"

I bit my lower lips, tapped my brand new pink shoes against the ground twice, thinking about the whole situation ahead. I wasn't happy with this kind of color, but my father thought it was proper for women to like the color of pink. I had no choice for it anyway, one of the servants was taking care of my daily dresses. 

"Let's just eavesdrop from the back, I don't want anyone from the palace to see me" Without waiting for Joohyun's reply, I turned right, walking toward the garden behind my father's resident. 

"Wait for me in here" I softly told Joohyun before slowly approached my father's chamber. The wooden window was open, so it made easier for me to hear what the men in the room were talking about. I could hear my father laughter, he sounded happy.

"His Royal Highness will grand you the tittle as a nobleman if you agreed on this proposal"

I froze, being born as a low status, the child of a mere poor merchant, father's greatest dream was to become a nobleman. It was impossible of course, but hearing the man from the palace's words, this royal sure had enough powers to make my father a noble.

"The King could do so?" I heard my father deep voice, aside the fear I felt everytime I heard his voice, I also felt my hands trembled out of surprises. 

The King. 

It was the King. 

I blinked repeatedly, my mind became blank as I thought about the King again and again. People said he was greedy for powers, marrying various of powerful person's daughter in the whole country in order to straightened his power. Even the first queen was a princess from the Land of Fire, one of the seven kingdoms who rules the world.

For god's sake, I think he already had twenty consorts. Didn't he gained enough power already from all those in-laws he had? 

"But, I must say it would be difficult for your daughter to survive in the palace. Aside from the fact that she wasn't born noble, she also has a scar on her face"

Almost instantly I traced down the scar I had behind the veil I wore. I wasn't really bothered by it, but the memories behind it always made me winced in pain. 

"It is no problem as long as the King doesn't have a problem with it. My daughter is a strong--"

I didn't really want to hear any more of it, I just silently walked away from father's chamber. I tapped Joohyun's shoulder while I was passing by her side, who was guarding the way.

"Find any information about the wedding from those people from the palace, I'll wait in my room"

I ordered, making her blankly stared at me. I once again patted her shoulder before leaving her dumbfounded. "Don't take too long"

I just chuckled in amusement as I heard Joohyun groaning unpleasantly behind me. Maybe I never voiced my thought out loud, but Joohyun was always a loyal companion, and I was always thankful for that. 

Then, I walked straight to my chamber. Intentionally took the way behind my chamber so I didn't get any attention from the servants across the house. I putted my shoes on the small stairs of my chamber before entering the sliding door. 

It was a second later when I pulled off my veil and the silk Hanbok I wore. I changed into a more comfortable outfit, which what a usual merchant wore. I also put on the old straw shoes I always kept deep in my drawer.

It wasn't long before I heard the sliding door behind me opened.

"My Lady, why are you wearing man clothes?" Joohyun's eyes widened as she saw me. Maybe she knew I was planing something unacceptable, her face looked red and full of panic.

But, I ignored it as I put some medicines and foods that I had in my room inside a sack bag. "What about the information Joohyun?" I asked instead. 

Joohyun looked at me suspiciously, but then she sighed before told me about the information she got. "They say you'll be the twenty

Please log in to read the full chapter