aisle 10

aisle 10

The neon fluorescent ten flickered, if just for a moment, above their covered heads. Their leather jackets and caps were almost too stereotypical, perhaps only working to further their suspicion, but they insisted it was necessary. They couldn't risk being caught.

 

Momo sighed. "Are you ready?"

 

She was met with a wavering voice. "Are you sure we have to do this? It's not too late to turn back."

 

She squeezed her hand a little tighter. "We have to, Sana. We have to."

 

Biting her lip, Sana drew comfort from Momo's warmth. "I'm scared, Momo."

 

"Me too." Momo smiled softly, with perfect empathy, because as important as this was, nothing would ever be as important as Sana. "If anything goes wrong, please know I love you very much."

 

Sana laughed, maybe for the last time in a while, who knew? She didn't spend too long pondering the possibility, just leaned forward to press a sweet kiss on Momo's lips. "I love you, too."

 

"Alright," Momo steeled herself with a deep breath, "let's do this."

 


 

Just another day in the shop.

 

Mina sighed, lost in her head, once again counting on her fingers just how many more shifts she'd have to work until her student loans would be paid off. The total came out as 567 more years.

 

Well .

 

She heard the whispers before she saw them, sharp and indistinguishable from where she stood behind the checkout counter. Dropping her hands down, Mina squinted, (not that she needed to, though, because the black splotches slowly approaching her stood out more than Christmas music in July). She couldn't make out faces, and she wasn't quite sure where the couple was heading, but Mina reached down anyway, snatching and cradling the bottle of mace cautiously in her hand.

 

And well, of course, just to her luck, the dark figures turned, heading straight down her lane, and honestly, Mina was ready to bolt the hell out of there, because dealing with thugs was the last thing she needed when she had her girlfriend's three essays, two presentations, and one project to do.

 

Too late. The mysterious pair were now directly in front of her, and after a quick scan of her surroundings, she deemed it useless to try and run away now. Mentally sighing and throwing on her practiced and perfected, show-stopping, Grammy-winning, heart-stopping smile, Mina welcomed the customers (because "if you don't see a gun, just have fun," as her boss would say).

 

"Hello. How are you doing today?" It took all of Mina's willpower not to scowl when she didn't receive a reply. These strangers come into her shop, dressed up in black with the aura of CSI murderers, and they don't even deign to answer her simple pleasantries? The audacity.

 

What one of them did do, however, was slam a box onto the conveyor belt.

 

Mina squinted, not so much scared for her life anymore, just really confused, because right before her eyes was a box of Trix cereal. She looked up at the pair, only now noticing the youth behind the faces under their black caps, faces not of the heavily tattooed criminals she imagined them to be, but rather, faces of soft women just around her age.

 

Shrugging off their menacing appearance and ever-present sketchiness, because Mina was just not in the mood to use her brain this much during off hours (spoiler alert, she'd have to anyway), she moved to scan the item.

 

"Wait," one of the girls hissed, (and Mina did, but her confusion was quickly turning into annoyance).

 

The other girl stiffened. "Sana, what are you doing?"

 

"Momo, I- I don't," Sana swallowed thickly (was she sniffling back tears?), "I don't want to leave you."

 

The other girl—Momo— pinched her brow. "Why would you have to?"

 

Sana's eyes were glistening, and from certain angles, the b tears shimmered like diamonds. "What if they arrest us? We can't risk it."

 

"Sana, trust me," Momo smiled with a confidence that belied her pounding blood, "we have to."

 

Their lips stopped moving after that, but their eyes were wandering, swimming until they were lost in the other's, frozen in some sort of odd, nonverbal continuation of their conversation. It was fascinating, and if she concentrated enough, Mina could almost imagine white text floating between the two.

 

(Mina's annoyance turned back into confusion.)

 

Twenty seconds had passed since their telepathic communication started, and while it was certainly mind-boggling to witness, with it not being a particularly busy time of day, Mina wanted, however, to be done with this pair sooner rather than later, so she cleared and revitalized her smile. "Excuse me? Do you still wish to purchase this item?"

 

Sana jerked at the intrusion, but Momo was quick to answer first.

 

"Yes."

 

Once again, Mina made a move to scan the item, but this time, Momo (much to Mina's distaste and bubbling anger) was the one to interrupt.

 

"Actually!" Momo bit her lip, "wait."

 

Mina suppressed her groan with a clenched jaw and years a culminated mental strength.

 

A stretched out second elapsed as Momo leaned forward, lowering her voice into a deep whisper, sneaking a glance in Sana's direction before she asked, "Will we get arrested?"

 

(Back to confusion.) Mina furrowed her eyebrows. "Why would you get arrested?"

 

Both of the girls faltered, giving Mina looks as if she was the crazy one.

 

"Do you see what we want to buy?" Sana spoke up, a slightly judgemental tone dusting her words.

 

Mina looked down at the obnoxiously bright red box, then back up again. "Yes."

 

"Then you see the problem, right?" Sana pushed, even more accusatory than before.

 

When Mina didn't respond, the confusion really kicking into full motion by now, Momo stepped in to answer herself, hissing like she was speaking sin through her teeth.

 

"It's Trix!"

 

When Mina's expression was still as blank as a failing student's scantron five minutes before the exam was over (she did not have enough coffee that morning to deal with this), Momo tried to elaborate.

 

"Trix are for kids!"

 

Mina nodded, trying her best to follow along, set on doing anything by now if it meant it would expedite this encounter. "Yeah, that's the slogan."

 

"No. You don't understand!" Momo whisper-screamed, seemingly genuinely affronted at Mina's lack of understanding.

 

"Trix are for kids," Sana repeated, as if saying it again would aid in Mina's comprehension.

 

Tilting her head, Mina drawled, "Yes… and?"

 

Sana tensed forward and grabbed the edge of the conveyor belt for support, squeezing so tight her knuckles turned white. Fear was clearly visible in her eyes (Momo's, too), quivering with each passing second before Sana lowered her voice.

 

"We're not kids."

 

Mina blinked once… twice. (They were really just stating the obvious by now.)

 

"Tell us," Momo said, staring at Mina with a fiery gaze as she placed her hand atop Sana's for courage, "will we get arrested if we buy this?"

 

"Um, no," Mina croak, shaking her head with extra emphasis when she was met with skeptical expressions. "No, you won't get arrested."

 

"But you've seen the commercials, haven't you?" Sana pressed, still unrelenting after Mina's assertion, in apparent loyalty to the 'better safe than sorry' approach. "Where the rabbit tries to eat it, but then the kids are like, 'Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!'"

 

"They never show you what happens to the rabbit," Momo so helpfully added, eyebrow raised and everso suggesting.

 

Mina squinted in utter disbelief, but nonetheless, tried her best to walk through the conversation. "I think the commercial is just trying to target kids for the sake of selling their product," she reasoned, slow and steadily.

 

Gasping loudly and using her free hand to cover , missing the point completely, Sana turned to Momo. "They're targeting the kids, too! Momo, the whole thing's a trick!" She shivered. "They're out to get everyone!"

 

Momo eyes widened comically. "But… but," she gasped (also comically), "is that why it's called Trix? Because it's all a trick?"

 

The couple's eyes were matched in revelation and fright. They dove into unspoken communication again, staring and firing messages mentally at twenty words per second, cheeks blanching and breaths hitching.

 

(Mina really didn't know what to think anymore. The weirdest part was that—unless these two were amazing actors, like phenomenal, knock-your-socks-off, take all my money amazing—they were totally serious.)

 

She took a deep breath. "I assure you, again, nothing bad will happen if you purchase this item."

 

Momo sighed and gave Sana's hand a reassuring squeeze. "We have to Sana," she whispered, "we have to."

 

Biting her lip, where anyone would've thought she'd have cried, Sana smiled shyly. "Okay, Momo, I trust you."

 

Momo let out a shaky chuckle, held Sana's hand a little tighter, and once again looked at Mina. "Okay, yes. Yes, we'll buy it."

 

"Great." Mina made a move to scan the box, this time uninterrupted.

 

"We won't forget what you've done for us," Sana stated.

 

She reached out for a handshake, which Mina accepted hesitantly, while Momo (not so) discreetly slid the box of Trix under the left wing of her leather jacket.

 

"If you ever need a favor, you'll know where to find us," Momo said after securing the possession with the swish of her jacket zipper.

 

There was question in Mina's eyes, not sure she'd ever need a favor from such an…odd pair, not sure she'd want to know their whereabouts in the first place.

 

Momo continued anyway, pointing her finger down the shop. "Aisle ten. Every Sunday. Around this time."

 

Mina followed the direction of Momo's finger, (not that she needed to, considering she already had every inch of this establishment committed to memory, both out of obligation and sheer boredom, but she just had to see this for herself). And under the neon fluorescent ten, on a wooden slab hung precariously on two metal chains, was a list of that Aisle Ten's contents.

 

Cereals.

 

Mina chuckled unknowingly. "I'll see you next week, then. Have a nice day."

 

"Thank you," the couple said in unison.

 

They left it at that.

 

Mina looked down at her hand (the one she used to give Sana a handshake) and saw a twenty dollar bill folded neatly in her palm. The cereal was only $3.67. She sighed, and like any other struggling student drowning in loans, pocketed the change.

 

She looked up in time to see Momo and Sana high five just outside the entrance of the store, before they ran off into the street, holding hands and giggling the entire time.

 

Mina sighed, a tiny smile gracing her lips.

 

Just another day in the shop.




 

 


A/N: ok lmao i totally ripped this scene off of ted don't think i'm that creative:)) also there's a reference in here to a fic i haven't written yet so if i ever post that and you read it and you catch it don't think i'm lazy (i mean i am, but that's not the point) and just copied the phrasing ok? 

 

read $3.67 it's super well-written samo fluff:))

 

ok bye loves have a nice day!