Chapter 5

Knowing Joy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Warning: content contains some vulgar/curse words. Chapter 5 ○ Hanbin ○

Accepting your reality is the easy way out. And I have chosen that path – the obvious, boring and unexciting path.

Pressing the key of the instrument in front me reminded me of the burning passion I had years ago. I know that Jinhwan hyung has deliberately placed a piano and a guitar inside the apartment in his complex that I’m staying at. I don’t want anyone’s sympathy and letting him know that I noticed it would just confirm their delusions that I’m still affected by the past. Opening my old notebook containing all the sheets of my compositions, I placed it in front me, over the piano’s music desk.

I remember showing my music to Jennie, the only person who appreciated it. Not my father, not my friends, it was only her. I would watch her as she stared at my fingers as I played my creation. “It is pure magic, Kim Hanbin. Want me to sing for you?” she’ll say to me as her innocent eyes stared directly at mine. When my mother died, music became my own fortress. But when Jennie followed her and left me too, it was that time when I totally lost it. Staring at the notes in front of me as my hands hover over the piano keys, waiting for my fingers to start moving, my phone started vibrating inside my pocket.

It was my secretary, Kim Jisoo. “Hello.” I answered the call as I stood up to go outside to the balcony.

“Is there something wrong?”

“There’s nothing wrong actually. I just have some news for you.”

“If it is news, I can already sense that it’s quite bad.”

“It’s Kim Jiwon-ssi. I mean it’s Bobby. Your father made him come and he’s going to be staying at Jinhwan’s hostel with the team.” How could I even forget my father’s lackey, Kim Jiwon? After all these years, my father still doesn’t trust me enough, huh. Now both my father and my uncle have their own respective spies.

“Well, it doesn’t surprise me anymore. Thanks for informing me. Have any other news?”

“No more news. I’m about to pick them up now at the station. I’ll just call you when something happens. Bye.”

“Okay. Thanks, Jisoo.” I told her before hanging up.

I can’t believe leaving Seoul will earn me two spies as if I’m a criminal on the loose. What a total bull, I’m only a few kilometers away from Seoul.

A few seconds after I hung up, a message alert came up. What now? I quickly took a look at the phone in my hands and opened the message.

From: Uncle Suro

Hanbin-a, I’m trying to call you but your line was busy. Call me quick after you read my message.

Why do I feel nervous about this? I don’t want any more problems adding up to what I already have. I already got my hands full for my new job, this issue with my father too and now this?

I quickly dialed Uncle Suro’s number, pressing my phone to my ear as it kept ringing, waiting for an answer. He didn’t answer in my first two attempts, but in my third and last call –I decided if he still does not pick it up– he finally did. “Hanbin? I’m sorry we had a meeting. Good thing you finally called.”  

“Wha–“ I was cut off.

“Wait a second Hanbin.” Uncle Suro said as I heard his secretary, Irene’s voice. “What do we do with them, sir?” I can hear his secretary’s voice over the phone, but it all got muffled suddenly. I don’t care about what they’re talking about, so it doesn’t really matter at all.

“I’m back. Hanbin, listen to me carefully, alright?”

“This doesn’t look good. Is this about me?” I asked nervously.

“I have a favor to ask of you, and you’re the only person I trust with this.” His voice was calm and controlled.

“That doesn’t make it sound better, Uncle.”

“It’s about Joy. I know you don’t like her at all. It is our fault for making you feel like that. Please understand your aunt’s situation.”

“I don’t wanna talk about this.” He was not yet done talking but I didn’t wanna talk about what he’s saying. I know about Aunt Jessie’s situation but it is not a reason for him to disregard Jennie too. Nonsense.

“I know Hanbin. I know how you feel. It’s my fault.”

“You don’t know anything, Uncle.”

“Think what you want. I’ll accept it all. Just listen to my favor, I beg of you.”

“Please just tell me what you need.”

“I want you to keep an eye on Joy. She’s not safe at the moment.” This is absurd. I don’t know what kind of drama is happening with them and as I was thinking about it, a sudden thought clicked in my mind. Maybe Joy was not a spy for me in the first place.

“What do you mean? Is this why you sent her in my team?” I asked, curiosity getting to me.

“I can’t tell any more details but yes, you’re right. I need you to watch her, make sure she’s not alone for a second.”

I can’t help but scoff at what Uncle Suro is saying. “What is she, a kid?”

“This is serious Hanbin.” Uncle spoke with no sign of amusement from what I said.

“How would I even do that? She’s living on the other side of Busan.”

“Aren’t there any more space from where you’re staying at?” The moment the words left Uncle Suro’s voice, I realized the how worried he was for Joy.

“Wow. This is a much more serious matter than I thought.”

“Hanbin I–“, I never let him finish. I can tell how desperate he was and I’m not that much of a to be refusing his pleas any longer.

“Fine, let me take care of it. Should I report to you what happens with Joy every day? Is that it?”

“I just want you to tell me if anything suspicious happens. You don’t have to report to me her every move. I don’t wanna take all of her privacy because of this.”

“That’ll be easier then. Don’t worry about it, Uncle. I just hope that someday, you’ll remember how I did this huge favor of yours.”

“I will, son. I’ll do anything within my power if you need anything. Just give me an update about it and please, don’t tell Joy about any of this.”

“I will. Gotta hang up now so I could start doing what I need to do then. Bye uncle.”

After a few hours of thinking about what plausible reason it would take to convince Joy, I have finally figured out a plan. My plan was this: I’m going to give Jisoo some kind of vacation at home and let her do her work there. Then, I’ll tell Joy that I’m going to be needing some help because of Jisoo’s absence and then ask her to stay with me at my apartment.

Isn’t this a good idea?

No. Damn it. This is ridiculous, how would I even get that woman to live with me? This is just totally impossible but fck it, I’ll just do it my own way.

After telling Jinhwan hyung to reserve me a seat at his lounge, I started calling Joy to meet up with her there, but to no avail, my fckin phone call wouldn’t even go through. I called Jisoo, but she’s already left the hostel, leaving me no choice left but to call Jiwon hyung.

“This is a surprise, Hanbin-a.” Jiwon hyung said as he answered the phone.

“Don’t be surprised, I didn’t call to talk to you.”

“Hey, that was rude. When will you even grow up Hanbin? I only did what I did for your sake back then! You were too unstab–“

“Stop with your nagging, hyung. I know you’re here because my father told you to go, so just do your job and report everything I do.”

“Just think what you’d like to think then. I just hope you’d be able to talk to me like we had in the past.”

“I don’t want to get mad at all, hyung. If you’d only realize how my dad has been literally using you as his puppet, then our relationship wouldn’t have turned like this.” How stupid, being completely fooled by my father’s words.

“You should know how he just cares for you, Hanbin-a.”

“Enoug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter