Chapter 4

Knowing Joy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4 ○ Joy ○

Finally arriving in Busan, we are now heading to the hostel Kim Hanbin had managed to reserve for us. I was sitting quietly in the corner of the company van together with the other six team members –let’s say JK employees– I had to get along with in this project. I was seating in the middle part of the van, directly in front of the van’s dashboard, squeezed between my two team members decent enough to give me a little space in the cramped up area the van has offered us.

We were picked up by Jisoo who was sitting in the front at the passenger seat. She was giving the driver the address of where we are heading when this nervous feeling had hit me and unsettling thoughts entered my mind –thoughts about where we’ll be staying.

“Jisoo-ssi, have you been to the hostel where we’ll be staying at?” I managed to ask Jisoo who was busy doing something on her iPad. My question got everyone’s attention as they all looked at Jisoo except for the guy sitting on my left.

I can’t remember the man’s name. I don’t even think I’ve seen him in the meeting. The guy’s definitely caught my interest, but it immediately vanished once Jisoo answered my question.

“I’ve been there yesterday to settle things with the management. Hanbin won’t be staying there since he has his own place to stay while I will be staying at my cousin’s. But don’t worry about anything. Each of you will get your own room.”

“I see. Thanks for the info.” Relieved that I was going to have my own room, I never missed how Jisoo just casually calls Hanbin in his first name. I didn’t even notice that they were that close. But if you’d think about it, I never really knew the grumpy guy. It just makes sense to know nothing about him and his relationships.

“Actually, the hostel is owned by Hanbin’s close friend. Close connections really helps a lot in these situations.” Jisoo added.

“Oh,” awkwardly came out of my mouth as I nodded at Jisoo, attempting to end the conversation I started.

We have arrived at the place faster than expected. The hostel where we’ll be staying doesn’t look like it’s located in South Korea, looking too Western with its vibrant colors. There are a total of five floors in the hostel and the room I got is located in the topmost one. On the same floor with me were the guys that sat beside me on the van –I better look for their names soon.

Both of my feet were already too sore as soon as I arrived at my room. The room looked great, we had our own bathroom, and there is a nice and cozy living area per floor. The only bad thing was that there was no elevator.

I quickly jumped up my bed and lied down, never bothering to organize my stuff yet. Five floors are definitely doable but to climb through it after every exhausting day coming up ahead is just an unbearable thought.

We were given the rest of the day to ourselves. We left Seoul in the afternoon and now that it’s already evening, I don’t think there are still lots of things we can do. Eating dinner would be the only important thing left to do for the day. I saw some nearby restaurants on our way here so maybe I’ll just order some later and eat in my room. I bet the others are gonna be eating together. I would definitely go if they’ll ask me to eat with them but I know they wouldn’t even ask. Well, it doesn’t matter to me anyways.

Taking my phone from my back pocket, I quickly tried to open it, earning no response from the black screen. Great, now my phone is dead. I groaned at the thought that I had to get up. With no choice left, I stood up and dragged my suitcase up into the bed. As soon as I opened it, the mountain load of my stuff welcomed me. Looking for my phone’s charger, I quickly threw the clothes that covered all the important things I kept underneath my suitcase unto the unoccupied parts of the bed. Finally seeing the pouch of my gadgets’ wires, I opened it to find out that my phone’s charger isn’t there.

“Ugh. I feel so stupid.” I grunted as I realized how stupid I was to forget something so important.

I quickly looked at my watch to check the time. 7:22 pm, it says. It was still kind of early but I don’t really know where I could buy a phone charger. If only I was a little familiar with the place.

Should I just borrow one from others for the mean time?

I urgently need to contact Irene unni and Seungkwan –the bands’ keyboardist at Lunar Club– about the substitute. I also need to check my schedule for the following weeks’ plays too. I sing every Friday so I definitely can’t go there since I have work here –if only my schedule was at weekends. I already planned on talking to whoever it is Irene unni is recruiting to being my substitute for maybe three months’ time. I would definitely pay for it. I was contemplating on what to do when a knock on a door broke the silence in my room

I didn’t say anything as a way to make sure if the knock is for my room.

“Is anybody inside?” I quickly stood up as I heard a deep and groggy voice outside my door.

“Who is it?” I asked as I walked towards the door.

“It’s Bobby. I don’t think you know me though.” He answered just as I got to the door, slightly opening it.

It was the guy who sat on my left in the van –the disinterested guy.

“Um. Hi? I’m Joy, if you haven’t heard my name.” I extended my hand for him to shake.

“I actually know yours. And Hanbin’s looking for you, if you wanna know why I’m here. He said he can’t contact you.” He explained as he took my hand, giving it a single shake before letting go.

“That’s right, he can’t. Unfortunately, I forgot my phone’s charger in Seoul and my phone’s dead. What did he want with me though?”

“He wants you to meet him at our friends’ club, specifically the hostel owner’s club Jisoo-ssi was talking about earlier.”

“You are friends with Hanbin? That was unexpected.”

He sure got a lot of friends even with that personality of his.

“I can see why you’d think that. He’s a lot different now than he used to be. We’re in bad ends right now actually.” Bobby said with a sigh.

“You still see him as your friend though, right? I bet you’ll fix it up soon. Why don’t you just tell me the address of the club?  I doubt if he’ll still be in the mood to talk later if I won’t leave any sooner than now.”

Bobby chuckled at what I said –although I only said the truth.

“Don’t worry about it. My car got here already so let me bring you there. I’m also planning on meeting up with Jinhwan hyung.” Bobby told me –his voice still filled with amusement.

I was fastening my seatbelt as Bobby pulled out of the hostel’s parking space and got to the main road.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter