Chapter 1

Knowing Joy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1 ○ Joy ○

“JK Architect to merge with Highland Builders, now who’s going to benefit?”

“Claims of Internal Issues Upon Merge of Two Giant Construction Companies”

It is no wonder how the merge has been the talk of the town as they are ones of the biggest companies in the construction world not only in Seoul, but to the whole South Korean country itself. As an employee of Highland Builders, and somehow, a shareholder as well, I knew how both of the families who owned each company have been friends for a lifetime.

Mr. Kim, CEO of the Highland Builders is someone I can never repay, even with my life, for what they have helped me through. And I can say that the luckiest part of my life is getting to meet a family who appreciated and accepted me for who I am. I don’t think anyone can be more kind for accepting the runaway me who’s lost in that big city just a few dimes left to survive. In short, they made me who I am, created the Joy I am right now, and saved me from who I was.

Back to reality……..

I was sitting at the far end of a very long table full of board of directors on the biggest conference room of our company building. We were in a meeting, a very important one, to discuss about the new administration system after the merge. I have no idea why the merge exactly happened. For all I know, both companies have been doing well for this thing to happen. I can ask, but I tried my best never to dip my head into very serious company matters which doesn’t need my mere opinions.

Sitting near the front was Kim Suro, the one who saved the teenager me, gave me work and taught me all the basics from scratch. When I was still seventeen, with only a few days left to be of legal age, he had let me live with him and his wife where they treated me like their very own daughter. They became a real family to me, but they already gave me too much of what I can take, so when I turned 23, I decided to get my own place – just a small apartment with all the basic necessities I’ll need – with the salary I’ve been saving for 5 years since I started working for them. Now, at 25, they still treated me as a member of a family I was lucky to have. I owed them my life and I’ll continue to work hard for them no matter what happens.

Currently, the meeting has now moved to the discussion about the employee cut-offs –which is very sad since I knew some of them on the list and I can’t do anything about it in my position. Only a few will remain from each side of the company since we will all be under one administration soon.

As the meeting has progressed to a lot of different discussions, such as new management systems and all the other technical stuffs, I started to get drowsy. Being in a meeting is not my kind of thing. I preferred physical tasks, just wanting to work and work and work, draining me of my energy enough to give me a tired, heavy and deep sleep.

I don’t know any of the technicalities about merges and administration stuff, which is probably why my lack of sleep these past few days is definitely taking a toll on me. I didn’t want to listen, I want to leave, I want to go to the site. In short, I was totally bored. But I shouldn’t be complaining –which is a bad habit of mine.

Good thing is, I keep these little complaints of mine to me, myself only. It occupies my mind, which is very helpful, at least to me, for keeping my eyes from drooping all the way down. All I needed is to be thankful for the life I’ve been given, and then voila, my mind goes in different directions, imagining realities that may have happened to me in some parallel universe that may actually exist.

“Miss Joy.”

A distinct high toned but low voice snapped me out of my thoughts, just as everyone turned to look at me.

“Could you tell me your opinion on this matter?” the JK Architects main representative, Kim Hanbin, who was standing at the podium leading the discussion, directed his question at me. He was looking all business-like with his never-changing poker face matching his slick-back styled hair. He knows I was not listening and he did this on purpose to get me in trouble. He always did this whenever he sees a chance that I was almost very sure of his intentions.

“Pardon me Sir. I am very sorry but I have not heard the discussion clearly.” I stood up from my seat, chose my words carefully and answered in a slow and calm way, silently hoping he would just drop this off.

“Well, Joy-ssi, as I expected, you were clearly not listening. I hope this will be the last time you’ll behave like this, especially in very important meetings like this. Understand?” He sternly said as he emphasized my name and stared at me without a blink in his eye. I caught Uncle Suro staring at me, with a look that’s saying I should just give way to the guy and be as understanding as I can ever be.

I assured Hanbin that I’ll try my best and bowed at him before I sat down again. This time, I tried to listen to the discussion. Just to get his nerves away from me.

As you can see, Kim Hanbin and I are in a very hateful situation right now. There’s no hate in my side though, it is all on him. I don’t know what I’ve done to the gu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter