one

Maybe one day (you'll love me back)

In the streets of downtown Seoul, Chaewon walks down a road very familiar to her, one hand tucked into the pocket of her slacks and the other holding her phone. She could have drove to her destination, but honestly her legs needed some stretching out after being stuck in an office chair for hours on end.

After leaving Wonyoung in the care of her personal bodyguards, Chaewon decided to head out to one of her favorite places to get a drink at, Celeb. Tapping away on her phone, Chaewon dials a number she knows by heart, the person on the other end picking up almost immediately.

“Chaewon-ah! It’s been a long time since you’ve called me. What’s up?”

“Unnie, could you meet me at Celeb in about fifteen minutes?”

“Uh, sure, but what for?”

“…It’s about Wonyoung.”

She hears static for a while, no doubt Chaeyeon getting ready to head out. She hears the click of a lock and Chaeyeon’s voice once again fills her ears.

“What’s wrong with our baby bunny? Yah, did you do something to her Kim Chaewon?!”

“What? No! Unnie why would you assume I did something?”

“I don’t know?” Chaeyeon says, “Everything’s got something to do with you these days. Well, I’ll be driving now, catch you later.”

“Yeah, see you Chaeyeon-unnie.”

Before Chaewon could remove the phone from her ear, Chaeyeon suddenly starts to speak again.

“Oh, and could you already order for me once you arrive? I know you’re not that far off. “

With an exasperated smile, Chaewon answers with a hum. “I assume the usual?”

She hears Chaeyeon’s signature laugh on the other side. “You know it. See you in fifteen.”

-----

Chaewon opens the door to Celeb and is instantly greeted by the light chatter the small resto always has. Making her way to a booth in the far corner, Chaewon surveys the people inside.

It’s the typical crowd for your usual Friday night, colleagues out for drinks, and some college students out for the night with friends. She sees most of the regulars who frequent Celeb and greets them with a smile and a small nod.

She takes off her coat, leaving her in the white dress shirt and suspenders she wears almost 24/7. As she walks over to the bar to get their drinks, Chaewon spots a familiar person manning the bar for tonight.

“Eunbi-unnie!”

The older girl looks up from cleaning a few glasses, a wide smile appearing on her face as Chaewon approaches her.

“Yah, Kim Chaewon! You haven’t visited for so long. How is my favorite dongsaeng? Still a workaholic I presume.” Eunbi says, placing the glasses neatly in a rack beside her. She goes through a door at the back that Chaewon presumes leads to the kitchen.

Chaewon leans an elbow on the counter, smiling as Eunbi takes out a few of her favorite dishes.

“I’m getting better, unnie, don’t worry. I actually relax every once in a while.” She says, fixing the collar of her dress shirt.

“And who do we owe that to? Hm?” The older girl smirks, “Name starts with a ‘W’ and ends in ‘onyoung’, any guesses?”

Chaewon looks away, partly flustered and partly embarrassed at what Eunbi is insinuating. “Goddamn it, unnie. Chaeyeon-unnie even got you to be a ‘chaewonyoung’ believer?”

Eunbi lets out a laugh at her junior’s expense, handing her a plate of classic charcoal-grilled pork ribs and a bowl of rice on a tray. “You haven’t had dinner yet, right? Eat up, it’s on the house.”

Chaewon accepts the tray in disbelief, looking at Eunbi like she’s a mythical being. “Free food? Are you sure you’re Kwon Eunbi? Because the Kwon Eunbi I know charges me double for a glass of expired milk.”

The older girl smacks Chaewon’s arm and shoos the girl away. “Get out of my face Kim Chaewon before I take that back.”

Chaewon laughs as she tries to avoid Eunbi’s hits, bringing the tray back to the table. She returns to the bar where Eunbi is now looking at her in feigned annoyance.

“What is it now?”

“I was just going to ask for another plate of ribs and a bowl of rice for Chaeyeon. And also two bottles of beer.”

Eunbi is quick to attend to the order (“Say hi to Chaeyeon for me~” “Do it yourself!”) and Chaewon is back carrying another tray to the table. Just as she is about to sit down, the door to Celeb swings open, revealing a tall figure with blonde hair.

“Chaeyeon-unnie!” Chaewon calls.

Chaeyeon looks over to the table she’s sitting at and beams as she sees her baby cousin. Walking over, Chaeyeon pulls Chaewon into a gigantic bear hug, the latter returning the hug with as much strength. Once they pull apart, Chaeyeon ruffles her dongsaeng’s hair.

“How has my baby cousin been?” Chaeyeon coos. Chaewon looks at the (slightly) older girl in disgust.

“Please don’t ever call me that again.” Chaewon says as she slaps away Chaeyeon’s hand. They both sit down, taking their time eating and making small talk before actually discussing the matter at hand.

Opening one of the beer bottles, Chaewon leans back in her seat opposite of Chaeyeon and takes a big gulp. Placing the bottle back down, the older girl across her opens the other bottle and takes a small sip; she needed to stay sober since she’s driving tonight.

Chaeyeon talks first. “So, what’s wrong with our baby bunny?”

“She…” Chaewon sighs. “…decided to take up her father’s offer.”

“Offer? What offer?”

“Of marrying me.”

“And this is a bad thing because?” Chaeyeon’s voice holds a teasing lilt to it that Chaewon doesn’t particularly like.

“Unnie!” Chaewon whines, “You know just as well as I do that Wonyoung values her freedom so much.” She sighs, “I’m afraid that I’m taking her freedom away from her the moment she becomes my wife. I don’t want that, Chaeyeon-unnie.”

Chaeyeon gets up from her seat to sit beside Chaewon, putting an arm around her shoulders. “But think about it this way, Chaewon: Wonyoung will completely be under your care once she becomes your spouse. You can protect her better now. I don’t know why you’re so worked up about this.”

Chaewon takes another gulp of her beer. “Chaeyeon-unnie, you don’t understand. Have you met Jang Heokjin? Even if they’re going bankrupt, Jang Corporations still has a huge amount of connections thanks to him. Sure, Wonyoung might be in my custody, but he can easily pull some strings to take her away from me if she suddenly starts disobeying him.”

Chaeyeon hums, reaching for her own bottle and taking another small sip. “That’s quite a dilemma you have there, Chae.”

With a huff, Chaewon ruffles her hair, a frown on her face. “This is why I called you over, unnie.”

She drums her fingers on the table, looking to her cousin beside her whose expression has darkened.

“Chaeyeon-unnie, would you be willing to do one last job?”