Prologue

Maybe one day (you'll love me back)

“Chaewon-unnie, I want you to marry me.”

Chaewon looks at the younger girl across from her, a determined look on her beautiful face. She puts down the documents she was proofreading moments prior and leans forward, elbows propped up on her desk.

“Wonyoung-ah, are you sure? I can still talk to your father about this-“ Chaewon begins to say, but the young heiress cuts her off.

“I’m sure.” She sternly replies. Chaewon removes her reading glasses with a sigh.

Jang Corp. hadn’t been doing well the past years, their stocks plummeting at alarming rates.

Most of their stockholders had slowly started to withdraw the money they had been investing into the company, leaving the Jangs in quite a dilemma. After talking to the remaining stockholders and business partners that had still stayed with Jang Corporations, Jang Heokjin had decided that marrying off his only child, his only daughter, to the young CEO of Kim Industries was their best option.

Kim Industries’ recent success is something that can’t be ignored easily, considering the fact that they were originally just a part of a bigger company, which had then broken off. Everything so far has been baseless rumors pertaining to their booming success which was seemingly out of nowhere, but most say that it was due to their current CEO who had taken over after her father had retired, Kim Chaewon.

Her business and negotiation smarts were unmatched, having graduated top of her class in Business and Management. Since Kim Industries was still a small company compared to Jang Corp., the marriage of Kim Chaewon and Jang Wonyoung would be beneficial to both parties.

Standing up, Chaewon approaches Wonyoung. “Is this really what you want? Or are you being forced into this? Wonyoung, is your father threatening you again?”

No response.

“Please, answer me Wonyoung.”

She looks directly at the younger girl and sees the defeat in her eyes, and Chaewon doesn’t even need to hear her answer to know that what she’s assumed is true.

Wonyoung looks back, her voice wavering. “This isn’t about me Chaewon-unnie. It has never been about me.”

Holding the younger’s gaze, Chaewon pulls Wonyoung in for a hug, the girl almost collapsing in her arms. In Chaewon’s office, underneath the dim lighting of the room, Chaewon has never seen Wonyoung so weak.