Chapter 05

Presence

Thud 

As Irene placed the last of the box on the floor of her new apartment room, she turned around to sign the acknowledgement that the move has been completed and all items have been accounted for. She heaved a sigh of relief at finally finishing moving, it took her two weekends just to get all her things here. She has surprisingly more things than she has first anticipated, Wendy has suggested to move half of the bulky furniture to the new apartment so at least Irene has her bed to sleep on and since the couch does not belong to her, she has it to rest if she needs to while she was packing back at the old apartment.  

All that is left, and it is also the most tedious and tiring part of all; the placement of furniture and belongings. She didn’t even want to begin thinking about it, the past two weeks at work were already physically draining her that the only things she did when she was back home was shower and sleep. Even that took all her mustered energy to achieve, which is why the apartment barely resemble a home right now. She just hopes helps arrives soon so she could finally get some proper rest on weekends. As Irene was struggling to face reality, she heard the sound of cardboard being shredded apart.  

“So, where do you want to put these? On the bookshelf, I assume? Since they were there too when I was at your old apartment.”  

Irene turned around and faced a smiling Wendy who was holding up two photo frames each in one hand. The girl has turned up early in the morning to help her with the move, as she had been doing for the past two weeks. She had also been visiting Irene at her previous apartment to help with packing and cleaning up. Even though Irene had insisted that she was fine on her own, Wendy had countered that she was the one who helped find the apartment so she wants to be a part of the move, and to that Irene had no banter. She smiled back at Wendy and nodded. Irene watched as Wendy placed the photo frames on the shelf gently and proceed to also decorate the shelf with the ornaments she found in the same box. Even when she was clouded with worries, seeing Wendy give her a reassuring smile was all it takes to ease her mind.  

Recently Irene has been feeling rather strange, although it was not always apparent to her but they are especially obvious when she feels overwhelmed or down. She seems to always crave to be near Wendy, especially in her times of need. She was embarrassed about feeling this way, so she has not acted on her own impulses. She simply enjoys their time together and it brings her a lot of comfort to just be in the same room as Wendy. She knows what this would lead to and even amidst all these bubbling feelings, there's a looming dread that seems inevitable. It is hard to resist when all Wendy has been doing is providing Irene with a shelter both literally and figuratively. She shook her head as if an attempt to shake off any doubts in her mind and took a deep breath before joining Wendy in arranging her belongings in the room.  

They were halfway through the boxes and the exhaustion from the morning move was starting to set in. Because Irene did not have time to get a new couch, they were both sitting on the floor with their backs on the wall. Both slightly out of breath from the constant cleaning and packing around the apartment. Hearing the other’s slightly erratic breathing; they broke into a fit of laughter.  

“What was that, Son Seungwan? Can’t handle this little bit of exercise now?” 

“Hey, I’m not the only one panting back there. I seem to also recall a certain somebody heaving while carrying the potted plant earlier. Does that sound familiar to you, Miss Irene? Also, how did you know my name? Have I mentioned it?” 

“That was... All in your head. You must be hearing things. About your name, I heard Seulgi calling you that before. I’m sorry if you’re uncomfortable with it, it just kind of slipped because of the atmosphere.” 

“I’m pretty sure my hearing’s still crystal, ma’am. No, no. Don’t be sorry about that, in fact you may use the name Seungwan whenever you feel like it. Just, I don’t know yours. Funny, its been a little over a month and I still don’t know your Korean name.”  

“Y-yeah. It is a little strange huh, considering how we’ve gone through quite a bit together.” 

Wendy chuckled and nodded before extending her hand towards Irene. Irene was taken aback and a wave of déjà vu hit her as she slowly took Wendy’s hand cautiously. Wendy grinned and sat up straight to face Irene properly.  

“Hi! My name is Son Seungwan and may I know your name?” 

Irene looked at Wendy in amusement and started guffawing. She was still holding onto Wendy’s hand while her other was covering as she can’t seem to stop laughing. While Irene was bursting into fits of laughter, Wendy held onto that silly grin and was waiting patiently for Irene’s response. Irene finally calmed down and wiped a lone tear away from the corner of her eye as she pinched Wendy’s cheek endearingly because the face Wendy is making right now was adorable to her. They were both smiling and Irene cleared before sitting up straight to face Wendy too.  

“Hello Son Seungwan, my name is Bae Joohyun.” 

“Oh, Joohyun! That’s such a pretty name! It is nice to meet you, Joohyun.” 

“Gosh, you’re seriously a goofball!” 

“Awww, come on. You know you enjoyed it. Your cheeks are all pink from all that laughing.” 

Wendy pressed both of Irene’s cheeks in her hands and grinned at her. At this point, Irene’s cheek would probably be burning red because what Wendy is doing is not good for her heart and she can feel herself blushing profusely. Before she could escape Wendy’s grasp, the doorbell rang. Wendy looked up and let go of Irene’s face to go answer the door. Irene sighed in relief as she put her hands on her cheeks, sure enough it was hot. She took deep breaths to try and calm herself down, it seems she would have to admit this sooner than she would like to. 

“Hey, kind of you two to finally show up.” 

“I wouldn’t have overslept if Seulgi unnie would wake me up.” 

“What? You little imp, set your own alarm. Besides, it’s not my fault my blanket’s so comfortable.” 

“Alright, I get it. Welp, glad you two are here now. We could really use the extra hands right now.” 

Irene stood up and was greeted by a beaming Seulgi and a grumpy-looking Yeri. Irene waved back at them slowly and smiled.  

“Good morning, Irene!” 

“Hey, unnie.” 

“It is not the morning anymore, Seul. Its already noon.” 

“When I first wake up, it is counted as morning.” 

“That does not even make any sense.” 

“I am with Seulgi unnie on this one. It is our way. Time is but an illusion.” 

“Ah pfft, whatever. Let’s get started.” 

“Thank you everyone for helping me out. I’m really sorry to trouble you.” 

“Hey, don’t mention it. We are all friends here! Right, Yerm?” 

“Yeah, we are.” 

Seulgi laughed awkwardly at Yeri’s response. 

“Sorry, she is kind of weak when she just wakes up. Don’t mind her.” 

Irene looks back at Yeri and she could tell Yeri had a pretty late night from the dark circles that were forming under her eyes. Maybe she had been staying up late studying, her instinct kicks in and she head to the kitchen while the rest looked at her curiously but decided to let her be. After fifteen minutes or so, Irene calls for everyone to sit at her dining table. Irene smiled at all the curious faces as she brought the metal pot of coffee out along with a plate of toasts.  

“Here, have some breakfast maybe it’ll help. It is not much but it is almost lunch time so I figured something light would be better. There is a jar of strawberry jam and chocolate spread, help yourself to whichever you like.” 

Seulgi and Yeri both brightened up at the sight of food and it seems it has indeed cheered Yeri up. Wendy looked at the plate of toasts then back at Irene and from Wendy’s puzzled look, Irene strangely felt that she understood what Wendy was trying to tell her.  

“I just thought maybe a cup of coffee and some toasts are what Yeri needed to feel better. She must be tired from studying all night.” 

Wendy’s expression softened and she nodded to Irene before helping herself to some toasts and a cup of coffee too. She helped Irene poured a cup as well and gestured for the girl to take a seat too. Yeri, with stuffed with bread started speaking but nobody could understand her. Seulgi was very focused on trying to understand her as she knitted her brows together in focus. While Irene was obviously concerned about Yeri who despite having a mouth full of food was trying her best to speak. Wendy sighed and poked Yeri on her forehead.  

“Would you please swallow before talking, Yeri? Do you want to choke? Is that what you want?” 

Yeri gulped and took a breath before attempting to speak again. 

“What I’ve been trying to say is, I was not up late studying. Although I did stay up late. Hehe, but Irene unnie do you have some peanut butter? They taste great with jam!” 

“Oh, yes I do. Let me go get it.” 

Irene walked back into the kitchen to look for the peanut butter that Yeri has requested for. Unbeknownst to Yeri, Wendy was looking at her with scrutinizing eyes. As Yeri smiled excitedly to herself, she saw the stare Wendy was giving her.  

“What?” 

“What were you doing late last night not studying, Kim Yerim?” 

Yeri swallowed nervously and tried to give Wendy her best innocent smile but Wendy’s gaze did not waver. So, she quickly looked over at Seulgi for help but she was happily munching her own toast, minding her own business as if what Wendy was asking had nothing to do with her. It upsets her and she is not going to keep feeling this way on her own when her peanut butter is on the way.  

“I was, but Seulgi unnie wanted another player for her game. So, I helped her out.” 

Seulgi choked after hearing what Yeri said and quickly turned to look at Wendy who already had a menacing look on her face. She laughed awkwardly and scoot closer to Yeri and put her arm over Yeri’s shoulder.  

“Oh, you know. There was a special event yesterday and I really needed our gaming genius’ help. I know she has been working really hard so I figured a little break wouldn’t hurt. Don’t you think so, Seungwan-ah?” 

“Yerm, what are you doing?! It was our little secret remember?” 

“If I am going to die, I’m dragging you with me.” 

“Noooo...” 

Irene had a hard time looking for the peanut butter, as the kitchen's layout was different from her old apartment, she has not remembered where she put all her spices. As Irene returned to the dining, she was greeted by a tearing Seulgi and a grumpy looking Yeri again. Looking over at Wendy, it seems they were being punished. She sighed and shook her head, to say she is already used to all these were an understatement. It was almost a daily occurrence at this point. She calmed everybody down and treated them to some really good peanut butter and jam sandwiches.  

With Seulgi and Yeri’s additional help, they had managed to finish unpacking all the boxes. Everything was where they were supposed to be with the exception of the couch. It was almost nightfall when they were finished and Wendy had suggested to make them all dinner as they were all exhausted. Since Seulgi and Yeri were tasked with cleaning up as punishment, Irene followed Wendy to get the groceries they needed for dinner. 

“You act all harsh on them but you’ve already done most of the cleaning, haven’t you?” 

“Well... Maybe. It is just a little something to teach them to be a little more responsible is all.” 

“Hmm, you’re still a huge softie.” 

“No, I am not. I am instilling tough love here.” 

“Hahaha! Sure, you are.” 

“Hey, stop teasing me.” 

Irene stopped giggling and smiled at Wendy who was slightly sulking at being exposed.  

“As I have said before, I just think you really are an extremely nice and kind person and I am grateful to have met all of you.” 

Wendy stopped sulking and looked back at Irene with an unconvincing face.  

“What are you talking about? You are the nice person here and we should be thanking you. I know how hard work has been for you and you still made us brunch to help cheer Yeri up. You’re way too humble.” 

There is that feeling again, that fuzzy feeling that is now spreading across Irene’s chest. This is what is making it so difficult for her to ignore, no matter how hard she tries, Wendy always seem to find a way to show her how much she is appreciated. Maybe this time, she would have enough courage to endure the inevitable. Irene looked at Wendy who has a really firm expression and shook her head.  

“What is this? A compliment battle now?” 

“You bet it is! I’m not going to lose to you this time!” 

They continued their banters on the way to the supermarket. Throughout the whole trip, the warm fuzzy feeling that Irene has felt continued to spread across her and it makes her feel happy. But she wonders if Wendy feels the same way too. 

After the dinner and some washing up later, everyone decided to call it a day as they have to prepare for work the next day. After bidding the rest goodbye, Irene turned around to find a bag of groceries still on her table.  

“Oh, right. Wendy left these on the table earlier, maybe she forgot about it.” 

She walked towards the bag of groceries and finds a note on it.  

“Some groceries to fill your fridge with! (:” 

“Ah, Wendy. Seriously, you’re going to make me fall for you.” 

As usual, Seulgi and Wendy would send Yeri back together before returning to their own home. Even though they were only in the building complex, they still did it out of habit. After they waved Yeri goodbye, Wendy could feel the fatigue from all the moving she has helped Irene with set in and she really wants to get home as soon as possible to rest. But Seulgi did not budge from where she stood and was blocking the way. 

“Hey Seul, let’s go.” 

“Hmmm...” 

Seulgi had a smug expression on her face as she looked at Wendy closely. Wendy was taken aback at how Seulgi suddenly came close to her and stumbled a little backwards but Seulgi just walked away, leaving a confused and gaping Wendy behind.  

“W-what?” 

“Oh, you know what I mean.” 

“What are you talking about? Something to do with Yeri?” 

Seulgi stopped and spun around to face Wendy who seemed to be caught off guard again. 

“W-what? Stop playing and say what you mean, Seul. I’m totally worn out here.” 

“I didn’t want to say it in front of Yeri but you totally like her, don’t you?” 

All the weariness that Wendy was feeling was suddenly replaced with shock and she was feeling more awake than ever.  

“What?! No, I don’t! I mean, we grew up together! She is like a younger sibling to me, to us! What are you talking about?” 

“Hahaha! Oh my gosh, I wasn’t talking about Yeri! But man, if you really like her, I would start looking at you differently... This defensiveness... D-do you really like...” 

“No. What are you thinking, seriously. Be serious.” 

“I was...” 

“So, what are you talking about?” 

“Okay, honestly I didn’t think that way at first. Because we both know you had a bad experience so I thought you were just being your usual unconsciously flirting self.” 

“Hey! I’m right here!” 

“You do, you just don’t realise it. Anyways, I had my suspicions but after spending time together like that... You look at her differently.” 

“Ugh, spit it out already Seul. What are you trying to say?” 

“You like Irene, don’t you?” 

“W-well, of course I do. She is a really good friend after all. We all like her don’t we.” 

“You know that is not what I meant, Seungwan-ah.” 

Wendy sighed and held her forehead in an attempt to rub the impending anxiety away. 

“Let’s talk about this at my place, we are standing in the corridor for goodness sake.” 

Seulgi nodded and lead the way to the elevator. Wendy sighed again in exasperation, she was hoping for a good night’s sleep tonight but with the way things are going, it is not going to happen.  

Wendy set the cup of tea on the coffee table for Seulgi and took a seat beside her on the couch. While they were walking up to her apartment, they were both silent; lost in their own thoughts. Did Wendy ever think she likes Irene? She has thought about it before but decided it was what she would have done for Seulgi and Yeri as well. So, it can’t be that kind of feeling at all and she did not think she likes her that way either. But her friend seems to think otherwise, she sighed again. It was all too confusing and she is not even sure about it herself.  

Seulgi took the cup of tea in her hand and took a sip while carefully assessing Wendy’s expressions. She was being careful earlier because she knows this is a delicate issue for Wendy and it seems Wendy is fighting an inner battle at the moment. Wendy has always been a person who is straight forward with how she felt and would always give her all to the people she cares about. She has had a bad run in from the last time she decided to be honest about her own feelings and from that point on, her friend has changed. She was more reserved about expressing her feelings but has not changed how well she treats others. Which is why it was hard to notice her catching feelings for Irene, but having been Wendy’s best friend through all the ordeal, Seulgi was bound to notice it eventually.  

Having kept such feelings locked away for so long, what Seulgi said has caused a stir in her. She has forgotten how it felt like and was not sure if what she was thinking was true or what Seulgi said was true. She was not even sure if she wanted to know the truth, after all she had been trying to suppress them to her best ability. The last time she was honest with it ended up in a huge disaster for her and the people close to her. Although what has happened was years ago, she was still afraid of facing them. This is not going to be easy.  

Wendy picked up her own cup of tea and took a sip before breathing out. Seeing how Wendy has seem to relax a little, Seulgi took it as a queue to try again.  

“So... You doing okay?” 

“Yeah. I’m just really confused right now.” 

“You do like her, right?” 

“I-I don’t know, Seul. At least I don’t think I do, but I feel conflicted after what you said.” 

“Well, from the way you look at her and how you’ve been treating her. You do, Seungwan-ah. I know you.” 

“But I would have done the same for the two of you. How does that count then?” 

“No, I’m sure you would have helped us the same way. But the way you go above and beyond for her, even to the smallest of details. It’s different. You may not think so, but you can’t fool me.” 

“Sigh... Maybe you’re right. I’ve been avoiding this topic every single time it comes up to my mind. But before I know it, I seem to see her in everything. Like how she might like something or what I can do for her. It scares me to think about it and I’ve not felt this way in the longest time.” 

“Seungwan...” 

“I know I know. It has happened a long time ago but I guess it still haunts me. She just makes it too easy for me, I’ve not met someone who gets me the way she does and I can’t help myself. It is scary to think about what I want out of this so I rather continue being nice to her and think of nothing else.” 

“But that is not fair to you, you deserve a chance at happiness.” 

“But I-” 

“No, Seungwan. It has been years and everyone has already accepted it. Those people who hurt you, they can no longer do that to you. You’re safe here with people who care about you, you know we will always have your back.” 

“...” 

“Be honest with yourself, you need to set yourself free from the past. You can and you deserve to be happy.” 

Wendy let herself smile for a bit, Seulgi was right. She has to stop dwelling on the past, things are different now. She has all grown up and can fend for herself, even if things do get difficult, her friends and close ones are there for her. She should start being honest with herself again and start thinking about her own needs. She shook her head and looked at Seulgi with determination, seeing how motivated Wendy is, Seulgi knows her best friend is going to be just fine and things are going to get better from now on.  

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll be honest with myself. I do like her, Seul.” 

“You sure do. You’re so obvious back there, I mean we were there with you too ya know.” 

“Hahaha! Now that I’ve come to terms with my own feelings... Oh no, what am I going to do now? How do I face her?” 

“The way you have always been before. Go after her head-on!” 

Even though they have both come to terms with their own feelings, neither of the two had made any progress on them as reality is always the harshest. The peak period at work was still not over and they have all been working overtime to make sure their work gets done on time. Although they now go to work together on top of going home together, they still have not made any progress. Every day was exhausting to them and all they did was rest to prepare for another day of work. As they were approaching the final and busiest stretch, the Media department got the help they needed. Joy has officially joined the company and was tasked to help out Irene and her team, with her addition Irene now manages to go off earlier than Wendy.  

Wendy was in the midst of running her reports so she could have them ready by tomorrow and she could work on them then. She was focused on checking the process that she had not noticed Irene walking into the office and taking the seat opposite of hers. As she runs her final checks, all the reports were done running and she closed her notebook to call it a day.  

“Ahh! Finally done with this!” 

“You’re done? Ready to go?” 

“Ah! I-Irene! When did you get here?” 

Seeing how flustered Wendy got, Irene chuckled. 

“You must have been really busy to not notice, I got here about twenty minutes ago.” 

“Ah, I’m really sorry to make you wait that long.” 

“That’s alright, you’ve always been the one waiting for me. It is now my turn. Let’s go then.” 

Wendy nodded and followed after Irene. It was the first time Irene has waited for her and it was refreshing to be leaving her own office with Irene. It was a comfortable silence until they reached the lift lobby and they both reached out to press the button. Their hands touched each other and they were both slightly startled by it but they both laughed it off. Wendy started blushing but quickly pressed the button for the lift. She tried to compose herself but the conversation she had with Seulgi started floating into her mind. Seeing Wendy blush made Irene suddenly conscious too and she started to turn pink in her cheeks.  

The lift came and they both went in, all this time not saying a single word. Usually the silence does not bother them because they are comfortable with one another, but this time it felt a little suffocating. Wendy stole a glance at Irene and noticed that she was feeling abashed too, in order to dissipate this awkward atmosphere Wendy mustered up her courage and start a conversation. 

“So, I’ve heard Joy has recently joined the Media department. Did it help lighten your load?” 

“Oh yes. She is a great help; she has always been really good in school. So, her skills have made her a great asset to the team. That’s why I can be here, waiting for you like this!” 

“Hahaha! That’s great to hear, you’ve always had to work really late so I’m glad your department got such a capable employee.” 

“Are you trying to say I am not capable enough?” 

“N-no! That’s not what I meant. You’ve worked really hard and I know you have been meeting your deadlines even though you started not long ago. So you must have been really capable. The workload is just too much during the peak period.” 

Wendy stammered but quickly explained to an unhappy Irene who looked at her while having her arms crossed together. Irene did not look pleased with Wendy’s explanation and Wendy laughed nervously.  

“I-I really didn’t mean it like that, you got to believe me.” 

“Pfft, ah hahaha! You should have seen how worried you look.” 

Irene burst out laughing leaving Wendy feeling defeated at being teased by Irene once again.  

“You got me. Seriously, you should just take up acting. You may have a talent for it.” 

“No way! You’re the only one who is so serious that you get fooled so easily.” 

“Sure, I am. I’m just glad you’re not feeling bad about it.” 

Irene blushed at what Wendy said and it made her happy to know someone worries about her that much.  

“Speaking of which, we have not been able to have lunch with Joy. We should get together tomorrow for a formal introduction, although we have met beforehand.” 

“Oh right, we should. But I’m sorry, I can’t make it to lunch tomorrow. I forgot to mention it but I’m having lunch with Bogum tomorrow.” 

 

 

A/N:

Yes! Hello everyone again! I am a little late this time round but here is chapter 5! I hope you enjoyed this very revealing chapter, there are some subtle hints to future developments and I am sorry about Joy having such a small part when it is already chapter 5 (Sorry, Joy. I love you.).

I don't think I have said it enough but thank you all for taking interest to read this and to leave comments. They mean a lot to me, thank you! Even by just reading, it makes me happy. I'll continue working on this and till the next update, please stay healthy and happy. Take care of yourselves and have a great week ahead!