Chapter 01

Presence

It was just another working day for Wendy, while work has not been all that she had imagined, it was still considered bearable. The pay was good, there are good companions here and not to mention her best friend works in the same building as she does albeit not in the same department, it still is assuring.  She would come into the office with a smile on her face and greet her fellow colleagues before getting to her desk, today was no exception. Though she was okay with how things are, a change is always welcomed and anticipated.  

“Everyone! The intern from last year is coming back here to work full-time!” 

Wendy was unpacking her bag and her ears perked up at the exciting news, a new colleague means one new friend! 

“Which one?! Is it that legendary girl with beauty beyond words?”  

“Yep! That one! I wonder why she came back here...” 

Wendy stopped unpacking her bag and was frantically looking around for an unfamiliar face in the room. 

“Oh, she doesn’t specialize in Finance, so she is not coming to ours. She would be working over at Media.” 

“Oh… Seulgi!”  

After a slight disappointment, Wendy immediately lights up at her own idea; a frown never stays long on her face. Wendy rushes off to the other department where her friend is while holding onto some files to make it seem like she had some business there. All her other colleagues just watched on as Wendy flies out of the office doors, not even bothering to tell her the department has a meeting in fifteen minutes. They were used to her being so energetic from this early in the morning. Normally everyone would be buzzing with such news however it was eight fifteen in the morning and really, nobody has the spirits that Wendy possess.  

Irene took a deep breath and looked up at the glass plated building. With how the economy was doing, after graduating college it was a gruesome trial trying to job hunt. After sending numerous resumes and with each one of them getting no response or whatso ever, she thought she would give her old internship company a shot. Having prior experience there had given her an advantage as her work etiquette has left a good impression. However, the feeling is slightly different from when she was just working there as an intern, this time it was real and with all the added responsibilities she would have to be even more cautious and meticulous.  

Not to mention, she was going to be placed in a whole new department and that would mean she would have to be in an unfamiliar environment, again.  All these thoughts were making her nervous, she did not even want to think about how she is going to have to interact with new faces again. She checked her watch and it was ten minutes before she was asked to report for duty. So, with one last deep breath she walked towards the building and hoped that it would be a smooth sailing first day.  

The elevator dinged indicating that Irene has reached her destination. Everyone that was from the Media department just rushed their way out and Irene had to take a step back, so she does not get in their way with her clumsy and unsure footsteps. She walked out of it last and made a mental note to remember those people who went out before her, they were going to be her colleagues and it was best she recognizes them if they ever approach her in the office. She was supposed to meet with her mentor by the receptionist table just after the doors, but she did not see anybody there, so she stood there awkwardly and hoped someone would notice her.  

Thud 

A pile of files was dropped on top of Seulgi's cubicle and she snapped her head up in response. It was too early in the morning for any sort of work interaction and it sure was not a good thing to hear files being slammed on your table. She looked up with a really confused expression but it was soon replaced with a curious one when she saw her own best friend beaming at her from over the top of the files. She had to squint a little because it was too bright and mysteriously filled with mischief. Although she knows Wendy is always in high-spirits no matter the time of day, but being here at this timing? Something is up, Wendy may be a spontaneous person, but she is rarely here so early in the morning.  

"Those files... They are not really work now, are they?" 

"Nope!" Wendy replied while wearing the same huge mischievous grin that was almost too blinding if not for Seulgi being used to it.  

"So, what are you doing here so early in the morning? Wearing that huge smile of yours, something's up. Spill, what is it that you want? Did you get in trouble again?” 

"What! Since when do I get in trouble! I was just, you know. I just happened to hear that you guys were getting a new employee today and I just so happened to hear that it was that pretty intern from before. And I just so happened to feel like taking a walk to see my best friend so I thought I might as well meet the girl too. So, where is she?" 

"Lies, we just saw each other twenty minutes ago. Don't you dare use me as an excuse and sorry to rain on your little parade, but she isn’t here yet. She is only supposed to be in ten minutes from now." 

"Awww! I can't believe I came all the way down here for nothing." 

"You ungrateful thing! I am your best friend and after using me as an excuse you dare say it was for nothing even after seeing me. You're horrible." 

"But I see you all the time! How am I horrible when I still choose to see you after seeing you for five days straight! Also, some best friend you are to keep this news from me." 

"That is because you don’t have any other friends to hang out with, Wendy. I only got the notice today too, you dummy it is a Monday." 

"*gasp* How dare you! You are the horrible one in this relationship." 

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Now would you please go back to your own office and stop hovering around here."  

Wendy folded her arms on top of the files and rested her head on it in disappointment. She heaved a deep sigh and started mumbling about how today was the worst day of her life and that she was going to find a new best friend. Seulgi just rolled her eyes at Wendy's overly dramatic response and ignored how Wendy was still moping when she could have just come back during lunch time. Suddenly Wendy's head shot back up and that caught Seulgi's attention again. 

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" 

"What? What!" 

"She's here, Seul!" 

"What? Where?" 

"There! By the receptionist table! Isn’t that her? She looks pretty, it must be her! I am going to go talk to her right now!" 

"Oh no you don't. You wait here." 

Seulgi pulled Wendy back by her collar. She can tell how nervous Irene was and she is not going to let Wendy's overly excited self make it worse for the poor girl. So as a responsible senior at work, she decided to approach Irene first.  

"Hey! Are you the new girl?" 

Irene jumped at the sudden voice, she had not seen Seulgi approaching her at all. She was too focused on calming herself that she did not even hear Seulgi and Wendy squabbling away when they were only two tables away from her.  

“Erm, yes. Good morning, I am Irene Bae and it is nice to meet you. Are you the mentor I was supposed to meet?” 

Seulgi breaks into a smile after hearing Irene’s stiff and practiced greeting, she is definitely a bundle of nerves at the moment.  

“Hi Irene! It is nice to meet you! Unfortunately I am not your mentor, I just noticed you standing here fidgeting so I thought you might need a little ice breaker! ” 

“Oh, thank you...” 

“Oh! I forgot to introduce myself. I am Kang Seulgi, I work in the designing section.” 

“Thank you, Seulgi-sshi.” 

“You can just call me comfortably, Irene. I already call you by your name without the formalities anyways.” 

“Oh, okay Seulgi. Do you happen to know when my mentor would be arriving then?” 

“I think maybe in a few more minutes or so? You’re early. Work usually starts at 8:30 after all.” 

“Oh yes, you are right. I did arrive earlier, perhaps the one standing behind you now is my mentor?” 

Seulgi turned around only to be faced with a sulking Wendy who has been standing there waiting eagerly for her turn to be introduced but it never happened. Seulgi shook her head and sighed before facing Irene again, this time pulling Wendy to stand beside her. Wendy took a good long look at Irene and was taking mental notes on how the girl before her was indeed exceptionally beautiful, especially her big bright eyes. 

Irene could feel Wendy staring at her and was shifting uncomfortably under Wendy’s intense gaze. Seulgi noticed the uncomfortable gesture and followed it to meet with her weird friend’s inappropriate stare. She hit Wendy on her forehead and gave her a glare before they both straightened up to properly greet her.  

“Irene, meet Wendy. She is from the Finance department; my good friend and this weird kid is definitely not the mentor you’re looking for.” 

Wendy almost leaped out of excitement but kept her composure and extend her hand to shake Irene’s. Although she was taken aback slightly by the sudden gesture from the eager girl, she still reached her hand out for a handshake.  

“Ohhh you have such small hands, like a baby.” 

“Wendy! Is that how you greet someone?! I thought you wanted to be friends!” 

“I do! I meant it in a good way!” 

Irene blinked twice at the sudden comment, she did not expect someone she has just met to be speaking so casually to her like that. It has strangely made her relax and she felt calmer than before. 

“I do not have baby hands, Wendy. Is that how you talk to someone you just met?” 

Both Seulgi and Wendy were shocked to hear Irene speaking casually but in such an intimidating tone at the same time. They both gulped and sheepishly stopped their small squabbles.  

“I-uh, I meant it in a good way, you know. Soft hands, right? Babies have sm-, I mean soft hands.” 

Irene chuckled at the sudden change and smiled before formally introducing herself again. 

“Hello Wendy, I am Irene Bae, it is nice to meet you.” 

Wendy was amused at how the beauty managed to catch her off guard like that but that laughter and smile of Irene’s was a good sign that they may become great friends after all.   

“Hi! I am Wendy Son and I want to be your friend!” 

Seulgi shook her head at how innocent Wendy’s confession sounds but this is Wendy, always sincere and always genuine. Before Wendy had a chance to get to know Irene more, she felt someone pulling at her ear. 

“Ow! Ow! Ow!! What the, who?” 

“Good morning, Seulgi unnie and…” 

“Morning, I am Irene Bae, I’m a newcomer starting today at the Media department.” 

“Irene unnie, good morning to you too.” 

“Ah Yeri-ya, what are you doing here? Are you also here to look at, I mean look for the newcomer?” 

“No, I am not like some other hyperactive irresponsible employee who had forgotten about a meeting she has to attend. I am just here to pick the said person up.” 

“Oh shoot! The meeting! I totally forgot about it! Let’s go, Yerimmie!” Wendy called out to her sweetly as if she did not just forget about the meeting.  

As Wendy rushed out of the office doors, Yeri just sighed and shook her head.  

“See you later, Seulgi unnie and Irene unnie. Sorry for the trouble.” 

“Not at all, Yeri. Thanks for dragging that nuisance away.” 

Seulgi waved at Wendy who peeked through the door to wave goodbye at her best friend and of course, at Irene too. She was too engrossed in waving back to Irene’s shy waves to see Yeri coming for her. Yeri pulled her out by her sleeve and they disappeared from behind the door before Wendy could even protest about the use of force on her. Irene chuckled lightly at the silly antics and spun back around to face Seulgi. 

“That was quite a commotion.” 

“It is, sorry you had to see that on your first day.” 

“No, it is fun. It helped calm me down and I feel a lot better, so thank you.” 

“You don’t have to keep thanking me, we are all friends now. I’ll introduce you to Yeri later, for now, I think your mentor has arrived.” 

“Oh?” 

“Good morning, ladies.” 

“Ah, good morning, Bogum sunbae.” 

Seulgi greeted back awkwardly and bowed as Irene turned to face the voice that she just heard. He was smiling at them and especially at Irene as he extends his hand for a handshake. Irene had to look up just to see his face, he was much taller than both Seulgi and herself and was rather good-looking. As Irene took his hand, he introduced himself again. 

“Good morning, Irene-sshi. My name is Park Bogum and I am your mentor.” 

“Good morning, I am Irene and I look forward learning from you.”  

“Hahaha, yes I know your name is Irene. I called you that earlier remember?” 

“Ah, yes you’re right. Sorry.” 

Bogum waved her apology away as Seulgi excused herself to go back to her cubicle. Irene was suddenly a bundle of nerves again and she wished Seulgi was actually her mentor. Alas, not everything is going to be that easy. She followed Bogum around the office as he introduces her to all her new colleagues. It was a nerve wrecking experience as many were commenting on her good looks and she did not know how to respond. All these introductions were wearing her out and she wished she would be shown to her cubicle soon. 

“Knock knock.” 

Irene looked up from her computer screen and see Seulgi smiling at her so widely that her eyes formed two crescents. She cocked her head to the side wondering what business does Seulgi have looking for her. Seulgi noted the puzzled expression Irene has and pointed to the big clock hung on the top of the wall. Irene looked up and noted that the time was half past twelve but she did not know what Seulgi was trying to say with that, so she continued staring at Seulgi in confusion.  

“Gosh, it’s lunch time Irene! Did Bogum not brief you on timings?” 

“Oh, no he hasn’t. He only gave me these tutorials to run through and I haven’t seen him since.” 

“I see. Well, he is a busy person considering his post as senior creative designer. Come on, let’s go!” 

“Where to?” 

“To the 17th floor!” 

“Why there? Aren’t we going out for lunch?” 

“Yes, we are, but that dummy left some useless files at my desk when she used that as her alibi to come up here. So, we are going down to return the files and pick them up for lunch.” 

Irene let out a soft laughter at that silly excuse, but was slightly blushing knowing Wendy did that to come meet her.  

“Ughhh, this amount of work is torturous. That is why I hate meetings, meetings around here only meant more work for us.” 

“I am sure it is a torture to constantly be subjected to your whining, am I right Yeri-ah?” 

Seulgi said to both Wendy and Yeri as she placed a file on Wendy’s head and the rest on her desk.  

“Yes, it is. She has not stop whining since the meeting ended.” 

“But they are being unreasonable! If I can’t whine, I would die working through these unjustifiable workloads, Yerim-ah.” 

“Yeah yeah, get your up because it is lunch time. Let’s get going.” 

“But I have no motivation to get out of my chair.” 

“Oh really? Look who I brought with me.” 

Wendy stopped whining and looked up to see Irene standing behind Seulgi with that amused yet still shy smile on her face. Wendy immediately brightened up and the file slid off her head, she stood up and stretched before beaming at Seulgi and Yeri. 

“I have found my energy, let’s get going ladies. It is lunch time! The second happiest time at work!” 

“Second?” 

Irene quizzed as people usually take it as the happiest instead of the second.  

“Yes, because the first is always the time when you get to leave the office!” 

Irene laughed while the rest just rolled their eyes and followed Wendy out the office doors to head to the lift lobby.  

While they were waiting for the lift to arrive, Irene was looking at Yeri unsure if she should make the first move to talk to her since she has made it clear that she was younger. So as the older one, she should take the lead however Irene was a little shy and started fidgeting instead. Wendy noticed and clapped her hands together startling everyone. 

“Right! I forgot to introduce you to our Yerim! Irene, this is Yeri, our junior from college. She recently just joined the company too. She is our beloved youngest.” 

“Ew, unnie stop saying that to everyone. It is embarrassing.” 

“Hi unnie. I am Kim Yerim, but you can call me Yeri.” 

“Hello, Yeri.” 

Irene was feeling thankful at Wendy’s intervention and bowed slightly at the younger girl. It was obvious this girl is so much younger than them. So, what is she doing here in the office working like this?  

“I started working after graduating from high school to earn money to pay for my college.” 

“Oh… That’s very mature of you.” 

Irene was taken aback at how Yeri was able to read her and even answering her question. Was she being that obvious? 

“Okay! Introductions are all done now and the lift is here, so, ladies first?” 

Wendy put both her hands out and invited Irene to step into it first. Irene was embarrassed because there were others in the lift looking at them. Seulgi smacked Wendy’s hands to stop her from embarrassing herself. 

“You’re also a lady, Wendy. Now move aside I am hungry and we can’t be doing this greasy thing, I am going in.” 

“But Seul, you’re always hungry.” 

“Am not! Okay maybe that’s true, but if only somebody didn’t steal my second slice of sandwich in the morning I wouldn’t be starving now.” 

“But I was hungry!” 

“Then get your own!” 

As Wendy and Seulgi continued bickering, Yeri just shoved the two of them in while Irene followed behind her. Her first day has been nothing but eventful in a pleasant way and she hopes it stays this way.  

 

 

 

A/N:

Hoped you like the first chapter and thank you for reading :] A slow start but I hope it is alright so far :]