Final

Rebound?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A.N: I’m so sorry for not updating but here’s a one-shot! I hope you guys like it! This hasn’t been proofread, so I’m so so so sorry for grammatical errors and spelling errors. Please understand that English is not my first language ><
—————————————————————-
Wonwoo and Mingyu had been best friends for a long time. It would be a lie if Wonwoo says that he didn’t fall for his bestfriend. A best friend that is always there for him, someone who can lean onto. Plus who is kind, tall, handsome, knows how to cook, basically all the characteristics most girls wants for a boy. But Mingyu, on the other hand didn’t. He only saw Wonwoo as a best friend nothing else.

Wonwoo knows this as Mingyu is dating someone else, Minghao. A Chinese cutie who likes fashion and photography, which Mingyu likes. It was hard for him as he sees them together all the time but he’s thankful that someone is there for him, Seokmin.

Seokmin is a part of their little circle and he knows Wonwoo’s feelings towards Mingyu. He sees how Wonwoo tries not to show that he’s jealous and not hurting.

Mingyu and Wonwoo has a special thing going on every Christmas holidays. They will always go to the Festival of Lights every year to celebrate their friendship. But since this year Mingyu started dating Minghao, he knew that there’s going to be a change of plans.

“Are we still going tonight?” Wonwoo asked Mingyu as they were waiting for Seokmin and Minghao to finish their shopping. They were in the mall doing their Christmas shopping and they finished early.

“Of course it’s our tradition. I wouldn’t want to miss it.” Mingyu said as he smiled at Wonwoo. Wonwoo just nodded. He felt happy inside as he thinks that maybe he is not wrong.

Night soon came and now Wonwoo is just sitting on their front porch, thanking the weather that it’s not that cold, waiting for Mingyu to pick him up. It’s already 6:45, but Mingyu said that he’s coming at 6:00. He called and texted Mingyu a couple of times but he’s not answering. He decided to wait for 15 minutes more, but after that he’s going in.

Five minutes later his phone beeped. He thought Mingyu is texting him that he’s coming and it was traffic, but it wasn’t.

From: Mingyu🐶
Won, I’m sorry I can’t go today. It was very last minute. Minghao’s parents are in town and Minghao wanted me to meet them. I’m really sorry, how about a rain check? Sorry for breaking our tradition Won.. I’ll make it up to you.

When Wonwoo read the text his heart broke. He sighed. Of course he’s not Mingyu’s first priority anymore. It’s Minghao now. His heart clenched just thinking about the fact that he’s not Mingyu’s top priority when Mingyu is his. He texted Mingyu that it’s okay and to have fun. He didn’t tell Mingyu that today’s the last day as he didn’t want him to feel bad. He stood up and decided to went in, but a car suddenly pulled up.

It was Seokmin.

“Hey Won, what are you doing outside?” Seokmin asked as he locked his car and went towards Won.

“Ah I was just waiting for Mingyu to arrive, but he just texted me that he can’t come. I waited for an hour Seok!” Wonwoo exploded as he was trying to hold in his tears. Seokmin just hugged Wonwoo and told him to let it all out. Wonwoo soon broke down.

“He could’ve told me sooner Seok, he made my hopes up. I saw this coming but I thought I was wrong. He told me that nothing will change when started dating Minghao but look where we at now. He broke the little tradition we made, the one thing I always look forward to every year.” Wonwoo released his frustrations as he cannot keep them any longer. Seokmin just hugged him tighter while rubbing his back.

“Shh its okay Won.. Everything is going to be fine. To make you feel better why don’t we just go together hmm? At least today won’t be such a bummer for you. You’re all dressed up to go anyway.. Game?” Seokmin asked as he wants Wonwoo to be happy and to lighten up the mood. Seokmin saw the contemplation on Wonwoo’s face.

“Won, it’s okay if you don’t want to go. I know that this is you and Mingyu’s tradition so it’s okay.” Seokmin said as he didn’t want to go over the line.

“No, it’s okay Seok.. Today’s the last day anyway and I don’t want to miss this year’s.” Wonwoo said as he finally smiled and appreciated Seokmin’s presence.

Wonwoo and Seokmin went to their little adventure. And Wonwoo did have fun. Seokmin really tried to cheer him up as he cracked a fee jokes here and there. He enjoyed the lights as it looked so pretty and took pictures here and there.

Soon it was time to go home and when they arrived at Wonwoo’s house.

“Thank you for tonight Seok. I really appreciate it!” Wonwoo smiled that reached his ears.

“No problem Won! I’ll always be here for you, don’t you ever forget that” Seokmin said as he hugged Wonwoo.

“Well bye! I’ll treat you next time. Be careful on your way home!” Wonwoo said as he got out of the car and stood outside.

“Bye Won! Good night!” Seok said and left.

Wonwoo went inside their house and went straight to his bedroom. He changed his clothes and got ready for bed. He decided to scroll for pictures on his phone and he saw one picture where Seok photobombed. He smiled and decided to post it on his instagram.

The moment he opened his instagram, the first picture he saw was Mingyu with Minghao’s parents. He smiled sadly but happy that Minghao’s parents accepted him. He liked it and decided to post the picture. He put a caption saying, “Thanks for photobombing it you dork😆” and tagged Seokmin on the picture. He turned off his phone and decided to sleep as it had been a long day for him. From Christmas shopping to festival of lights, was a roller coaster ride and took a toll on this body.

He woke up when he smelled something good in his room. When he opened his eyes, it was Mingyu preparing his breakfast on his study table.

“Mingyu?” Wonwoo asked as he sat up and put on his glasses.

“Oh Won! Good morning!” Mingyu smiled and went over to ruffle Wonwoo’s messy hair.

“Hmmm morning.. What are you doing here?” Wonwoo asked and was wondering why Mingyu was there early.

“Well I told you that I’ll make it up to you didn’t I? So here I am” Mingyu smiled. “Here eat up. I cooked this especially for you. I had to persuade your Mom so that I can borrow her kitchen hehe” Mingyu said and that made Wonwoo laugh. He knows that his Mom doesn’t let anyone use her kitchen as it’s her second nature.

“Okay wait up. Let me just go to the bathroom.” Wonwoo said as he stood up and went to go to the washroom.

Few minutes later, they started eating quietly. But Mingyu being Mingyu broke the silence.

“I’m really sorry for last night Won. Minghao didn’t not know that his parents were going to be in town. They just surprised him as they had a meeting here. I didn’t want to go but Minghao said that they’re leaving today. So he thought yesterday was the right time to meet them.” Mingyu explained.

“It’s okay Gyu. I understand.” Wonwoo smiled at him. “You don’t have to worry about anything, besides Seok accompanied me last night” Wonwoo continued as he kept on eating.

“Right Seok, I saw your post last night.” Mingyu said.

“Yup! I was about to go inside after you texted but he pulled up. He told me that he can accompany me.”

“But I thought it was our thing? Why did you go with Seok? We could’ve went together.. Tonight” Mingyu said as he felt hurt because he thought that was theirs. He cleared up his schedule today just to make it up to Won. He also thought that they can go together.

“I know.. I’m sorry. At first I didn’t really want to go as it was our thing but I realized that we already bought tickets and I didn’t want to waste them. It was also the last yesterday and I didn’t want to miss it.” Wonwoo said as he looked at Mingyu looking apologetically.

“Last night was the last?”

“Yup.. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to distract you last night. But hey at least we didn’t miss it right?” Wonwoo said trying to lighten up the mood.

“Yeah I guess you’re right. How was it?” Mingyu asked. Wonwoo then told him how pretty it was and how funny Seokmin was yesterday. Mingyu felt a little punch in his gut when he saw how Wonwoo’s face lit up everytime he talks about Seokmin.

Sigh, if only Mingyu knows.

Christmas and New Year soon then came and they celebrated it together with their other friends.

Around February, he didn’t expect that Mingyu and Minghao will break up. But they did. He was shocked when Mingyu called him one night saying that he and Minghao broke up. A little hope sparked.

He thought it will be hard for Mingyu to move on, but he thought wrong. Mingyu was back to his old self after a week and even started hanging out with them more. He also figured that they broke up because Minghao is going back to China and could not handle a long distance relationship.

He noticed that Mingyu has been a little clingy and overprotective over him. He was not complaining as it looks like that Mingyu is developing feelings for him.

April approached and Mingyu’s birthday came. He was planning to surprise Mingyu on his birthday, but he’s the one that got surprised. Mingyu asked him to be his boyfriend. At first he didn’t want to say yes, as he’s thinking he’s just a rebound as it’s too fast. But he shrugged off the that thought and said yes. Mingyu was ecstatic when he said yes. He hugged and kissed Wonwoo on his forehead.

Their first month was a little rough for Wonwoo. He thinks that Mingyu is trying to change him. One day they went on a date and Wonwoo dressed up in his usual get up: track pants and an oversized sweater. But Mingyu told him to change in a more fashionable state. Like how Minghao dresses. He thought that Mingyu is just helping him dressed up better.

Another time was when they went to a cafe. Mingyu said that he’ll order for the two of them as he knows what to get them and told Wonwoo to get seats for them. When Mingyu came back, he was holding one Iced coffee and one mocha latte. He knows that the iced coffee will be for Mingyu but he doesn’t recall liking mocha. He does not like mocha.

“Here I got us our favourites! Iced coffee for me and mocha latte for you!” Mingyu said excitedly as he placed down their drinks. Wonwoo just smiled sadly and sighed.

“Wow! You sure know my favourite!” Wonwoo said as he took a sip of his “favourite” drink. He was trying to finish the drink as Mingyu continued on talking about something he can’t understand as he’s hurting inside. He can’t believe that after being best friends for a long time Mingyu does not remember his favourite drink and the fact that he does not like mocha. He excused himself and went to the washroom as he could not stomach the mocha anymore.

He puked his guts out and went to wash his face. Ohh the things he will do for love. He’s trying to ignore the voice inside his head that he’s just a rebound or just a replacement. He texted Seokmin on what happened today and told him that he’ll come over later.

He went back to their table and asked Mingyu if they can go home early as he’s not feeling well. Mingyu looked at him and bought his excuse. When Mingyu dropped him off, he hurriedly went out of the car and said bye.

He rushed to his room and started bawling his eyes out. Soon he received a text from Mingyu.

From: Mingyu🐶💚
Won everything okay? Tell me if you need anything okay? I’ll be here.

To: Mingyu🐶💚
Hi baby, yeah everything’s okay. My stomach just started hurting so yeah. I’m sorry for today, perhaps can I make it up to you some other time?

From: Mingyu🐶💚
Sure, get well soon Won.

Wonwoo locked his phone and sighed. Later on he heard someone knocking. It was Seokmin standing outside smiling sadly causing him to cry again.

“Seok it hurts so much. I try not to think that I’m not a rebound, but it’s so hard. Everything I do seems wrong for him. He does not even know what I like.” Wonwoo cried as Seokmin was rubbing his back. “One time he almost got mad at me for not taking his picture right.. “

“Won, stop crying please. He’s probably just adjusting. You’re not a rebound Won, you don’t deserve that. You deserve something better. We don’t know what’s going on inside Mingyu’s mind but let’s not judge him first. I don’t want you to overthink as it might lead to something we don’t want okay?” Seokmin said trying to divert Wonwo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter