Chapter 1 - Of Rooftop and Late Night Conversations

How Do I Love Thee

JISOO POV

 

I don't really remember the exact moment we met. I knew you as a name, and maybe just some random facts that I've heard from a friend that I didn't really cared about. We barely interact, some wave there, a hi hello here. Your weren't in my radar. You're just Lisa, I couldn't say we're friends more of acquaintances, that's it. Well, at least until that night...

It was a usual night of partying after midterm exams so everybody's just loose and having fun. I do like parties but sometimes I just feel the need to take a break from the smell of sweat and alcohol, so I decided to go to the rooftop to get some fresh air (and low-key wanting to read at least a chapter of my book. Yes. I'm a bookworm)

But when I get there, you were already there.

"Sorry. I thought nobody's here."

"It's fine. The rooftop is big enough for the both of us."

You were casually leaning on the edge looking cool and I remember thinking 'And here the nerd that I am, holding a book'. I didn't want to appear a snob so I stayed.

It would be awkward if I started reading my book while you were standing there so I decided to start a conversation.

"So not a fan of parties?"

"Parties are fine. But I've seen enough of people faces."

That amused me since I know how true it was. I don't know what's with the alcohol that makes people .

"Haha. So not a fun of PDAs then."

"PDA I can tolerate, soft is another thing though."

That earned a snort from me. Yup, I do know what you're talking about having witnessed it myself.

"You're laughing now but wait until you see them ing in the hallway."

You even had the audacity to mimic a person ing someone. God, you were already extra since then.

"I doubt you're someone who doesn't enjoy ." I teased.

"Do I look like a ert to you?"

I looked at you from head to toe, "Is it bad if I said yes?"

"Hahaha. I like your bluntness. But no, I'm not a ert much to your disappointment. And yes, I do watch but in a healthy way and in the comfort of my bedroom."

"Too much information, ert. So it did turn you on."

For two people who never had a real conversation before, ours escalated quickly. I don't know why but since back then, I've already been comfortable talking to you. It was our first actual conversation but I don't know why I felt so comfortable bantering with you.

"No thank you, I watch but I'm not a fan of live shows. Why? Does something like that turn you on?" Now, it's your turn to tease me.

"Ha! No way I'm one of those weird people that gets by Sonnet 116."

"Sonnet 116?"

I do actually took offense that you didn't know Shakespeare's famous poem so I recited it to you.

 

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove.

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wand'ring bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken."

I know. I'm a nerd. And I'm proud of it. I wasn't expecting a clap but I didn't expect silence either so I looked at you for a reaction. And of course, you were smiling like an idiot

"Why are you looking at me like that? You look like an idiot."

"Nothing. Aren't you going to ask me what turns me on?" You sounded innocent but your face looked like you were unto something.

I eyed you suspiciously, "Didn't you just say ?"

"No, I mean, besides HEALTHY ."

I scoffed at your use of 'Healthy '. I didn't know there are healthy and unhealthy . But just to humor you, I asked anyway.

"Okay, what turns you on besides ." Because I refuse to say the word 'healthy '

...

...

"A girl who can recite Sonnet 116."

I just looked incredulously at you thinking what a lame you are.

"Does that pick up line usually works for you?"

"I'm serious. That's the iest thing I've ever seen and heard. Like wow, do you know how y smart minds are?"

If you were some random guy, I'd probably run the other way around and thought you were a creep but since you actually look like a child who just saw magic for the first time, I actually blushed. Yeah, I can't believe I blushed either.

"You're making fun of me." I looked away embarrassed.

"Date me."

Among all the weird things that came out of your mouth that night, that took the icing on the cake.

"Are you mental?! This conversation just had a 180 degree turn. I mean, we we're just talking about ."

"See? That! You talking about then reciting dead man's poem. You're like my dream girl. I don't think I'll ever find someone as cool as you, as different as you. I am serious. Please date me. Please."

Nevermid that your logic is all kinds of twisted, my mind was too shock seeing you literally beg on your knees.

"Get up, you idiot. Did anybody tell you that you're so extra? You barely even know me, why would you date me?"

"That's not true. I know you're Jisoo a friend of Chaeng and can talk about and recite Sonnet 116."

"Wow, you really do know the very core of my being." I said sarcaatically.

"Okay fine, I barely know you but that 10 minute conversation we just had just proved to me that you're the most interesting person I've ever met. Talk to me for another ten minutes and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to take my heart." Your smooth words and smug face. Urgh.

"Are you trying to be smooth?"

"Is it working?"

Internally, I can't believe that I'm even entertaining the idea and not already shutting you down. Maybe, it's because I'm a little curious on how convincing you can be? Let's be honest, you're quite amusing.

"I already know I'm interesting. What is it for me? Why would I date you?"

"Eehhee!"

Okay, I was expecting a long cheesy speech but instead you said that while matching putting your open palms beside your head. I'm actually close to thinking that you really do have a serious mental issue

"What the hell was that?"

"Me being cute. Smart girl plus a cute girl equals perfect couple"

"That wasn't cute. That's annoying. You look like a monkey."

"A cute monkey though."

Yes, it's cute. But I didn't want to feed your ego so I refused to admit it.

"You really think I'd date you because you think you're cute? No thank you, next."

"Uhm, Because I like ?"

That was so unexpected and out of the blue that I actually burst out laughing.

"Why would I date you because of that?!"

"It made you laugh anyway. See? If you date me, you'll get to laugh like that." You said smugly.

That was actually smooth but I'll never say it

"That's cheesy." I said instead.

"Who hates cheeeeese?" I couldn't help but smile at your whiny face

"That's corny."

"And still you're smiling."

You caught me.

"You're really persistent aren't you?"

"I live by the motto 'Just keep Swimming. Just keep swimming.' "

"Did you just quote Dory?"

"You aren't the only one who knows famous quotes you know."

Not at you aligning Dory to Shakespeare. You're the first one I know who would quote Dory while asking someone on a date.

"You're really crazy."

"I know. But good crazy right?"

"Hmmm..."

"Admit it."

"Yeah, good crazy."

"Good enough to earn me a yes?"

I didn't respond right away and since you're impatient, you decided to appeal again.

"Oh c'mon, don't tell me you didn't enjoy talking to me. Because I saw you smile seventeen times. And before you ask yes, I counted. Cause every single one is too precious to go unnoticed."

For someone who's unpredictably crazy, you can come up with the sweetest words.

"I don't really date much. I'm not girlfriend material." I tried dissuading you.

"I wasn't looking for a girlfriend material. I was looking for you."

"You're really making it hard for me to say no."

"That's the goal."

We stared at each other.

A beat.

,,,,

,,,

,,,

 

I can't believe I'm going to say this

"Okay."

"Okay? As in 'okay I will date you' okay or 'okay I had enough of you're creepy , get out of my face?' okay?"

"It's 'okay, you're annoyingly cute that I don't really have a choice but to say yes.' okay."

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!"

You screamed so loud, danced like a dork and did a friggin cart wheel. Yes, a cart wheel. You really are a monkey that got away from the circus.

"Oh god,stop. You're embarassing, you idiot." I said but my whole face is betraying me since I 'm smiling like an idiot myself. Idiocy can be contagious, perhaps.

"Embarrassingly cute and it's 'my idiot'. You can call me yours now. I'll take the idiot as long as I'm yours."

"You're confident. I just said yes to a date not a marriage."

"It's still a step closer to marriage though, so a total win for me. I'll marry you someday."

"Slow down. You're going too fast. Should I be scared monkey?"

"No of course not, I'm pretty sure you'll be the one asking me for marriage. It's the Lalisa Manoban effect."

"Oh god. What did I get myself into? Saying yes to a crazy narcissistic crackhead."

"Don't worry Jisoo-yah. I'll make sure you'll never regret this."

You really had the audacity to wink while you said that.

----------------------------

Who would have thought that a random night will turn out to be a memorable one?

You were right, though. Not once in my life did I ever regret it and It was actually the best decision I have ever made.

I may never remember the exact date we met, the first time our eyes meet or the first words we've spoken, but I'll always remember that night when my journey began with you.