Chapter 3

Coming back again and again

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were sweating under the hot sun as they walked back home. There was a comfortable silence amongst them, not really knowing what to say to each other. It’s been a while since they walked home together, about 2 weeks. Chanyeol’s been hanging out with Haeun every day, never having time for Baekhyun. The only time Chanyeol acknowledges him is when he walks into the classroom but his attention gets stolen and a smile forms on Chanyeols face as Haeun grabs onto him. So it confuses him when Chanyeol runs up to him after school asking to walk back home with him. Baekhyun nods and starts walking.

 

“So..”, Chanyeol started. Baekhyun kept his eyes forward, waiting for Chanyeol to continue. “I’m going to officially ask her to be my girlfriend”, he blurted out. Baekhyun froze, stopping his steps. He turned towards Chanyeol slowly, eyes wide.

 

“So fast”

 

“Well you know how much I like her”, Chanyeol defended, expression mimicking Baekhyuns, eyes wide in shock.

 

“No”, Baekhyun said quietly.

 

“No what?”

 

“No, I don’t know how much you like her”, Baekhyun stated, wiping the sweat on his forehead. They were standing in the middle of the sidewalk, cars were passing by, overpowering their voices.

 

“What do you mean you don’t kno-”

 

“You didn’t tell me anything. In fact, we haven’t really talked ever since you’ve been with the girl”, Baekhyun said, not giving him a chance to finish his words.

 

“Baekhyun what are you trying to say?”, Chanyeol asked, gripping Baekhyun’s arm.

 

“Nothing”, Baekhyun answered. “Just ask her out Yeol, she’ll say ‘yes’ anyway”, then he pushed Chanyeols hand off of him and started walking. Chanyeol watched Baekhyun walk away, eyebrows furrowed, confused. He didn’t understand why Baekhyun was acting this way. Sure they haven’t talked in a while, but sometimes it was like that. They wouldn’t talk for a long time, busy with different activities. But when they get a chance to talk again., it’s all smiles and laughs. So why is Baekhyun acting differently now?

 

“Baekhyun what’s wrong?”, Chanyeol asked, watching as he stopped in his tracks.

 

Baekhyun swallowed and turned around. He put on the best smile he could muster at the moment. “I’m just tired Yeol. So, can we please walk faster?”.

 

Chanyeol let out a breath of relief. “Sure Baek”, and smiled back at him.

 

-

 

Chanyeol and Haeun became the talk of the school. Everybody was talking about them, in the hallways, in class, and even his own mother. But all he could do is listen, he couldn’t ignore it.

 

“What happened to Chanyeol? Why hasn’t he been attached with you?”, Jongdae asked. Baekhyun along with Jongdae, Suho, and Minseok were at their usual lunch table. He took a bite of his food and shrugged.

 

“With his girlfriend, as usual”, Baekhyun nodded his head at where Chanyeol and Haeun were seated. They were with the basketball kids, not surprising because Chanyeol’s on the team (along with Sehun and Jongin). He watched as Chanyeol whispered something into her ear that made her burst out into giggles. His heart clenched because he doesn’t get that attention anymore. It’s not like Baekhyun can come to hate her either. She’s the ideal girlfriend. She had long black hair that complimented her light complexion. Her eyes were a beautiful color, light brown and held her emotions. Her smile was wide and made people happy upon seeing. If he wasn’t already liking Chanyeol, Baekhyun would probably be swinging her way. But, the sky was blue and Baekhyun was gay.

 

“Doesn’t he know you like him?” Suho asked, abandoning his lunch.

 

“I don’t even think he remembers”, Baekhyun shrugged, looking down at his food. He doesn’t feel like eating anymore. They watched as Baekhyun toyed with the food on his plate. “I-i’m going to class now, I’m not hungry”, he said as he gathered his things and stood up to throw away his food. As he walked out of the cafeteria, they waved bye, worrying looks present on their faces.

 

“Baekhyun wait up”, he felt someone tug his arm. Baekhyun turned around. Chanyeol was standing there, in his giant glory, a small smile graced on his lips. Baekhyun blinked at him, surprised by his sudden appearance.

 

“What Chanyeol?”, Baekhyun asked, his lips. He didn’t want to talk to Chanyeol at the moment, he didn’t want to see Chanyeol at all. But he couldn’t push him away, not when Chanyeol is right in front of him, he wishes he could reach for him and run his fingers through his hair. Like what he would always do to Chanyeol. But he can’t do that anymore, it’s for Haeun to do.

“I just feel like you’ve been distant, I don’t want to lose our friendship, you mean a lot to me”, Chanyeol was looking down at Baekhyun with soft eyes. Baekhyun tried to avoid his gaze, his eyes held so much emotion, he felt the hurt that was showing through. But why was Chanyeol hurt?

 

“Stop looking at me like that”, Baekhyun blurted out. “Stop looking at me like you’re hurt”.

 

“But I am hurt. Ever since I’ve been with Haeun, you’ve been so distant. I’m hurt because you don’t even bother to text me anymore, we don’t hang out anymore. It feels like if I have Haeun then I can’t have you and I don’t want that. I want to have both of you”, Chanyeol reasoned, running his hands through his hair in frustration.

 

Baekhyun was baffled. Of course, Chanyeol would make him feel guilty for what has happened to their relationship. “Listen here, big guy. The reason why I don’t text or ask to hang out is that I don’t want to bother you. You have a new person in your life, there’s no room for me anymore”, he told Chanyeol in a low voice.

 

“Baekhyun there’s always going to be room for you, I want you to understand. So, I want you to come with me to the movies tonight with Haeun. Then, I’d be hanging with the both of you”

 

Baekhyun tried to hold in his snort, he really did, but then he thought about how stupid Chanyeol was. “Chanyeol, I have better things to do than be a third wheel. So go and enjoy your date”, he said, dusting Chanyeols shoulders and fixing his uniform. When Chanyeol didn’t say anything, he started walking away.

 

“Hey wait!”, he Chanyeol call after him again. This time Baekhyun didn’t turn around, and just waved goodbye. Baekhyun feels his phone vibrate in his pocket.

 

Chanyeol

Fine, let’s just go to the movies. Only me and you.

 

It seems like Chanyeol doesn’t want to let go of Baekhyun.


-

AN: Hey guys, I didn't update yesterday because I was really busy so sorry about that. Also, I made a twitter for you guys to vote on things for the story (that may or may not be included) and also to see "tweets" from each character that connect to the story. So please check it out and follow it to stay updated on when i’ll post and chapter tweets. I did a pole on it and the majority voted "yes". Please comment if you guys have feedback for me, I would love to improve. Thank you for reading!

The twitter is: @baekinajar