Chapter 7

A Lost Cause (Until I Met You)

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was on time to visit Baekhyun the next morning, despite being up almost the whole night tossing and turning like he was a teenager in love again. He did absolutely anything to keep from thinking about the night before but nothing seemed to ease his mind. It always resurfaced.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t have meant what he did, right?

 

Once he thinks about Baekhyun he falls into a relapse of the whole scene from yesterday. The way Baekhyun was all sleepy and soft looking, the way his fist wrapped weakly in his shirt, and… The feeling of his lips pressed to the corner of his mouth. It makes his chest feel warm, it makes him feel stupid and

 

He’s okay with it.

 

He’s okay with keeping it to himself, too. But he is curious if Baekhyun if going to spill about it or not. It was a bold move and surely he has an explanation. Otherwise he wouldn’t have done it.

 

The conversation he had with Baekhyun over dinner was something that kept coming back up too. Baekhyun saying he wants to get close with Kyungsoo, saying he appreciates the things Kyungsoo does, then following all of that up with a light press of his lips to Kyungsoo’s,

 

He’s ing crazy.


 

Baekhyun texted him earlier as he was leaving saying the list of things Kyungsoo needed for dinner should be at his door by the time he gets there, and they were.

 

Kyungsoo puts in the code to Baekhyun’s place, and is greeted with the happy little chime when the lock clicks.

 

He doesn’t expect to be greeted by silence when he walks in. It follows through the entire house and it’s strangely uncomforting. Kyungsoo calls out for Baekhyun, but when he doesn’t get an answer he decides to travel upstairs. Baekhyun might still be asleep. Kyungsoo knocks on Baekhyun’s door a couple times, then opens it slowly. His room is empty.

 

I fact, his whole house is empty. Baekhyun is nowhere in sight.

 

“Are you ing kidding me.” Kyungsoo sighs and pulls his phone out, and taps Baekhyun’s name.

 

“Morning, did you miss me?”  Baekhyun chirps. Kyungsoo can almost see the smile on his face, as if he’s done no wrong.

 

“Where the hell are you?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What do you mean what do I mean? I’m at your house and you aren’t here.” Kyungsoo pads back down the stairs, waiting for Baekhyun to give him an answer, but he only gets silence.

 

Then he hears a familiar voice asking who Baekhyun was on the phone with and Kyungsoo has his answer.

 

“Hold on, is that Jongdae? Did you go to work?”

 

“Uh… Can we talk later?” Baekhyun clears his throat nervously, “I uhm… I have a meeting. It’s really important.”

 

Kyungsoo makes an attempt to protest but Baekhyun ends the call before he can get a full sentence out.

 

That little lied to Kyungsoo, took advantage of Kyungsoo leaving him alone, and went to work sick and injured as if he didn’t just get in a motorcycle crash the night before yesterday. Does he expect to go a full work day without explaining the bruise on his face? Did he expect for Kyungsoo to arrive later and think he could get away scot free?

 

Kyungsoo begrudgingly carries groceries inside and puts them away, cursing Baekhyun with each trip he makes. He knew when Kyungsoo would be here, Kyungsoo texted him what time he’d show up, and chances are by that time Baekhyun was already on his way or in his office, grinning proudly at his accomplishments.

 

If Baekhyun wants to play dirty, Kyungsoo will just have to make some minor changes. He has no idea if Baekhyun’s fever even broke yet. Chances are it hasn’t, and Baekhyun is just making it worse by doing things he was clearly untrusted by both the doctor, and Chanyeol not to do.

 

Kyungsoo partly blames himself for not staying, but also Baekhyun for being a lying little er.

 

Now Kyungsoo is supposed to spend his time doing what, exactly? There’s no point in going back home. There’s no point in going anywhere at all, for that matter.

 

Kyungsoo ends up spending his day alone at Baekhyun’s. Ignoring every text the ladder sends him, pleading for forgiveness, saying he really did have a meeting to go to, and that he’ll explain everything when he gets home.

 

And he does.

It did occur to Kyungsoo that Baekhyun obviously has more than one mode of transportation and he drove some insanely nice Audi to and from work. When he walks in to greet Kyungsoo gliding around the kitchen, Kyungsoo almost drops his knife to the floor.

 

Baekhyun is a little pale, obviously still feverish, and looks somehow worse than he did yesterday.

 

“Jesus,” Kyungsoo breathes, “Have you taken a look at yourself recently?”

 

“Should I?”

 

Abandon all plans of yelling Baekhyun. Abort any and all ideas of what he wanted to say, Kyungsoo sets the knife down on the cutting board, “Shut up.”

 

He walks over to Baekhyun who is standing a little stiffly in the middle of the room, and drags him over to the couch, “Lay down and just… Be quiet.”

 

And he does, to Kyungsoo’s surprise, Baekhyun doesn’t try and put up a fight or argue. He lets Kyungsoo slip off his jacket and tie, and falls right onto the couch.

 

“I’m sorry.” He says, tiredly and his voice is light and weak. He’s clearly exhausted himself.

 

“Go to sleep, I’ll wake you up when everything’s ready.” Kyungsoo watches Baekhyun get comfortable and turns back to continue his work. It’s quiet, very different from yesterday evening, almost a little uncomfortable since Baekhyun isn’t asking him a new outlandish question every few seconds.

 

Just like always, Kyungsoo ignores the weight of the silence and gets everything ready while contemplating the entire time about what he’s going to have to do should Baekhyun try and sneak out again tomorrow.

 

Baekhyun is all stretched out along the couch when Kyungsoo goes to wake him. Kyungsoo must have lost track of time, because Baekhyun’s hair is a mess now compared to when he got home, a few strands stick to his forehead from the fever and his mouth is parted just slightly as soft snores fill the space.

 

It’s cute. It’s really cute.


 

Baekhyun pretty much inhaled dinner, Kyungsoo wasn’t expecting him to wolf everything down and then ask for more, but it makes him pleased. Baekhyun asked him to make Japanese food yesterday because it was what he wanted, and Kyungsoo did just that. To see Baekhyun get excited and eat more than what he was expecting means he’s getting better, so maybe Kyungsoo did a few things right.

 

He holds back everything he wanted to say about how Baekhyun was a total idiot for leaving without saying something, about his sudden move on Kyungsoo before he left last night, he left it all behind.

 

Chances are Baekhyun knows that what he did was wrong. He apologized for leaving without Kyungsoo having to say anything, but he hasn’t brought up last night, and Kyungsoo is kind of okay with that.

 

Baekhyun’s fever has gone down slightly, but not significantly and Kyungsoo can tell that he needs to keep resting, yet for some reason Baekhyun has been trying to reach for his work bag next to the couch for the past hour while Kyungsoo put everything away.

 

Apparently at some point when he turned to load everything up in the dishwasher, Baekhyun made a run to grab it from the entry hall, where Kyungsoo moved it after Baekhyun tried to reach for it the first three times.

 

“You’re kidding.” Kyungsoo watches Baekhyun slip back into the living room and onto the couch.

 

“What?” Baekhyun sits up to look at Kyungsoo from over the couch, “I have a lot of stuff to finish.”

 

“Like what? How bad is it that you can’t give it a rest for tonight?”

 

Baekhyun pauses for a minute, “It’s important.” He says, turning back around and disappearing onto the couch.

 

Kyungsoo sighs and closes the dishwasher, he can finish it later. He gets a glass of water and carries into the living where Baekhyun is already swarmed with documents and his computer out on his lap.

 

“I highly doubt there’s anything more important than your health right now.” Kyungsoo sets the glass on the table and walks to an empty spot on the couch and takes a seat. Baekhyun doesn’t look like he heard a word of anything Kyungsoo just said. He just goes through all the papers he has out and types some stuff into his computer.

 

“Hey, workaholic, are you-“

 

“Please don’t call me that.”

 

Oh, so he heard that, but not the other part.

 

“Whatever,” Kyungsoo breathes, “Put all that away. Seriously, you need to sleep, you can’t keep doing this otherwise you won’t get better.”

 

“Five more minutes.”

 

“Baekhyun, now, please.”

 

There’s a few seconds of delay until Baekhyun finally lets out a heavy sigh and shuts his laptop, setting it on the coffee table, and piles up all the documents sitting around him into a folder, shoving that into his bag.


 

“Happy?” He glares over at Kyungsoo, who smiles gratefully and nods. The tense annoyance on Baekhyun’s face releases as he sinks back into the cushions and closes his eyes.

 

He sighs again, heavy, tired. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything, just watches Baekhyun lay there for a minute before he stands up, asking Baekhyun to follow.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun mutters, his eyes are still closed but Kyungsoo hums for Baekhyun to answer, “Do people take advantage of you?”

 

“Come on, you should go lay down.”

 

Baekhyun looks up at him through cracked eyes, “You don’t think that I am, do you?”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t answer, but he doesn’t make a move to try and pull Baekhyun up from his place, either. Honestly, Kyungsoo doesn’t really know, and he doesn’t want to think about it.

 

“Answer.” Baekhyun looks up at Kyungsoo for a few seconds and closes his eyes again, waiting patiently for Kyungsoo to say something. Kyungsoo didn’t expect for Baekhyun to just come forward with this at all.

 

“I don’t know,” He admits. Because he really doesn’t. Maybe by now he should know, but he doesn’t.

 

“I think I figured out why you’re so reserved, Kyungja.” A tired smile finds its way to Baekhyun’s tired lips. They stretch out into a confident, yet still tired smile.

 

“Good for you. Now come on.”


 

Baekhyun’s smile turns into a pout and he groans, “Only under one condition.”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. Knowing Baekhyun, anything could come out of his mouth right now.

 

“You let me give you another kiss goodnight before you leave again.”

 

There it is.

 

Kyungsoo sputters for an answer. He didn’t expect Baekhyun to be so… Comfortable and confident to just let that slip.

 

“I-I’m not leaving,” Kyungsoo avoids the first part of Baekhyun’s reply. “In case you try to pull another stunt like today.”

 

He shouldn’t be so nervous. It’s just Baekhyun. But it’s also a very bold move to make considering that it’s just Baekhyun. Kyungsoo isn’t the type to get so comfortable around people like Baekhyun, yet here he is.

 

“Oh?” Baekhyun pulls his head up from the cushions, “Well… Can we watch something then?”

 

Kyungsoo stays silent. Baekhyun weakly pats the cushions next to him, “Come on,” He pleads, “First you won’t let me work, now this? We haven’t watched a movie in forever!”

 

Sure, it’s not like a movie is going to hurt. If anything, Baekhyun will just fall asleep in the middle of it.


 

They made it 40 minutes in and Baekhyun passed out, just like last time, on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Only this time, Kyungsoo didn’t feel like waking him up, or carrying most of Baekhyun’s weight up the stairs, so he stayed, and fell asleep right alongside Baekhyun on the couch.

 

It took him a while. Watching Baekhyun sleep so soundly and having such an unfamiliar weight on him made it hard for Kyungsoo to fall asleep. Not to forget Baekhyun’s “one condition” that’s been lingering in his mind since the night it happened.

 

It tempts Kyungsoo for a little bit, to give him just a small kiss on the head. He wants to, and he almost did, but something held him back, and instead made him do nothing except for think until he finally fell asleep with a weight on top of him that for once, didn’t all belong to his thoughts, but something much warmer.




 

 

— — —





 

Baekhyun’s fever broke sometime that next day and Kyungsoo couldn’t be any happier. He was able to go back home without the rooted fear that Baekhyun was having to take care of himself and his injuries alone.

 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, was very bitter. He clung to Kyungsoo that entire morning after they fell asleep on the couch together. He took advantage of how incredibly comfortable (as he said) Kyungsoo’s lap was, and fell asleep on and off that whole morning until his fever finally broke.

 

When Kyungsoo left that evening, Baekhyun was hovering over his shoulder the entire time, asking for him to stay a little longer for small reasons, and Kyungsoo almost did.

 

But, he has to get the shop back open, he’s already been closed too long, he’s already very behind in rent for this month.

 

That was two days ago. Kyungsoo has been looking over possible openings for a new gig for a while when a familiar voice come falling into the restaurant before the door even opens.

 

Baekhyun comes walking in, much more color in his face now. Only a week after his crash, and he looks a hundred times better.

 

Kyungsoo stands up from his place in front of his computer to greet him, but Baekhyun takes him into a quick hug and takes a seat.

 

“You know I want you to surprise me, get creative, I have like, an hour before I go back.”

 

“And you came all the way out here? Thanks.”

 

“You’re most deserving than the other places.” Baekhyun shrugs his bag off of his shoulder, “You have wifi, right? Can I… Have the password?”

 

“I guess. But it’s gonna cost you, I’ll be right back.” Kyungsoo turns around to write the password from the router, and hears the door open again.

 

“Hey, I already offered to buy this place out, paying for your wifi is nothing.”

 

Kyungsoo huffs, but his smiles disappears as he turns to see Junmyeon standing off to the side of the room.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t seem to care, so much mind at Junmyeon shooting glances between Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo silently drops the slip of paper to Baekhyun and walks to Junmyeon, who looks more confused than Kyungsoo has ever seen him.

 

“Mind explaining why the CEO of G-Light Media is sitting in here trying to buy you out?”

 

“He was kidding. He knows you already have this place. What do you need?” Kyungsoo sends a glance back over to Baekhyun, who doesn’t seem to be too interested in their conversation, and eats quietly as he works.

 

“Nothing,” Junymeon starts, “I just wanted to tell you that your offer was met by the new buyer. You’re set to be out of here by the end of next month.”

 

Kyungsoo feels all the blood rushing through his nervous veins stop.

 

He was definitely not ready to hear this. Not right now. Not with Baekhyun sitting a few feet away from them.


 

“Oh… Okay.” Kyungsoo nods once.

 

“That’s it?” Junmyeon seems surprised Kyungsoo doesn’t have anything else to add, nothing sarcastic or harsh to fight back with.

 

“What else do you want me to say? ‘Thank you’?”

 

“No, I just didn’t expect you to be so…”

 

“Don’t.” Kyungsoo stops Junmyeon from even finishing, he knows what he’s going to say.

“That’s all you needed to tell me right? You can leave, just let me know if there’s anything else that you need before then.”

 

“Just your rent for this month. All the paperwork has been finalized, assets sold, you should be getting a sum back within a few weeks just before you leave, and get your equipment out. Until then, you should start start packing your personal stuff up.”

 

Junmyeon doesn’t say anything else, just a small dip of his head, barely noticeable enough to even be considered, then he leaves.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t turn around until he watches Junmyeon pass by the front windows. He doesn’t want to know who bought this place, what they do, what they’re planning to do with this place, he just wants it gone from his mind. He wants this weight off his shoulders now, and for the rest of his life.

 

Baekhyun tries to ask what’s wrong, asks him with that warm, worried voice if everything is okay, who was that man, but Kyungsoo ignores all of it as strides across the floor, and into the kitchen, where he puts his back up against the wall, next to do the door so he’s out of sight, and tries desperately not to cry.

 

It’s all hitting him now. His home, his last memory of his father, is about to be gone forever. Passed on to some stranger, given a new life, new purpose, something he never could do even though he tried.

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo, is everything okay? I know I shouldn’t be in here right now, but… You don’t look well.”

 

Baekhyun really doesn’t stop, and that kind of makes Kyungsoo happy, when he knows it should aggravate him. Baekhyun has grown on him, and it’s in a kind of way that he hasn’t felt in a really long time.

 

“That was the man that bought you out isn’t it?” Baekhyun asks. Kyungsoo nods, but he doesn’t look at Baekhyun, who is leaned up against the counter in front of him.

 

“Someone bought it…” Kyungsoo mutters finally, “I only have a month left here.”

 

Baekhyun stays quiet for a few seconds. Kyungsoo almost forgets he’s there, too far inside his own head to even care about what’s going on around him right now. He’s holding back so much.

 

“I thought you had a lot longer… God, Kyungsoo, I’m so sorry.” Baekhyun shoves his hands into his pockets and sighs.

 

“It’s probably a bad time to ask this, and you can absolutely decline. I just… There’s something going on at the company tonight to celebrate the opening of our first location in Busan… I kinda wanted you to be my uh… Other person?” Baekhyun’s voice gets a little quiet at the end, out of embarrassment.

 

“Like I said, you don’t have to. I figured you’d like to go, but if it’s too much stress I get it. Just know that I’ll definitely come by and see you after. Think about-”

 

“I’ll go.” Kyungsoo doesn’t look at Baekhyun, but he can feel the CEO smiling when he answers.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Kyungsoo nods. Maybe it won’t hurt to get out for the night, try and forget what’s going on for just a little while, spend some time with Baekhyun for a few hours and then deal with all this tomorrow.

 

After spending so much time with him after the crash, Kyungsoo has started to enjoy having Baekhyun in his presence. He’s nice, he makes Kyungsoo talk, but doesn’t make it to where Kyungsoo feels exhausted or forced. Baekhyun is an interesting person, and Kyungsoo likes getting to know him, likes spending time with him.

 

Baekhyun was right that day. Kyungsoo was scared that his kindness would be taken advantage of, but the more he’s thought about it, the more he’s realized Baekhyun has tried to give back for the kindness Kyungsoo showed him, not take advantage of it like others have before.

 

It’s a weird feeling to know that someone outside of his own family genuinely enjoys being around him. Kyungsoo isn’t just a stranger in the shadows to Baekhyun, it seems.

 

And to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun isn’t just some pretty CEO. Not anymore.


 

“Okay,” Baekhyun breathes, “I’ll be here later tonight. Wear something nice, not too formal though, that’s for me.” He smirks.

 

“Hey,”  Baekhyun taps under Kyungsoo’s chin lightly, prompting him to look up. Kyungsoo almost doesn’t want to. The gentleness in Baekhyun’s voice, the sincerity, it makes Kyungsoo want to turn away and shield himself from it, but he doesn’t.

 

He doesn’t look up all the way, but just enough to meet Baekhyun’s eyes, warm, and so full of hope. His hand falls to Kyungsoo’s shoulder and stays there.

 

“We’ll talk more about this tonight. I’m not gonna watch you lose everything you love. Especially if I know there’s something I can do, but you have to promise you’ll let me.”

 

Baekhyun smiles again, gives Kyungsoo’s shoulder a squeeze, then lets his hand fall back to his side, “Think about it. I’ll see you tonight.”

 

With that, Baekhyun slips quietly out of the kitchen, and Kyungsoo stays there until he hears the revving of an engine outside.

 

There’s not really a lot Baekhyun can do now. Someone’s taken up his offer on the place and is in the process of signing the papers. Baekhyun clearly has something in mind but Kyungsoo doesn’t know, doesn’t want to know what is may be. Baekhyun is better off not getting involved and having to deal with Kyungsoo’s now ever growing stress. He doesn’t deserve it.

 

Knowing he’s going to have to talk with Baekhyun, the most persistent, incessantly generous person he’s ever met, makes him want to not go to this thing even less. But even if he didn’t, Baekhyun would probably still refuse to let this go, so Kyungsoo really has no choice.



 

The last time Kyungsoo has ever been to what would be considered a formal event was his father’s funeral a few years ago. Sad, but it’s true. Kyungsoo doesn’t have a reason to dress nice for anything so this will be the first time even if it’s only semi-formal.

 

He almost calls Baekhyun out of sheer panic of not knowing what he should wear since his wardrobe is primarily made of the same type of clothing, almost all the same color. After some digging and moving around to try on what he has, he decides on a simple turtleneck with a jacket, dress pants because it’s a business thing. Baekhyun said not to overdo it, and if there’s one thing Kyungsoo knows well, it’s simplicity.

 

Baekhyun knocks at the door of the store as Kyungsoo is putting chairs up. When he opens it, he has to remind himself to keep a stone face. He swears everytime he opens this door he reveals a new Baekhyun, one he’s never seen before.


 

Baekhyun looks insanely good. Too good. He’s dressed to the nines from top to bottom, hair done accessories sparkling and bright against his skin. His hair is done up and falls in a comma style, outlining the sharpness of his jawline. It’s not just a suit and tie he’s wearing, either. If Baekhyun found a way to make it work, he made it look better. His tie is adorned with a heavy, glittering pendant, his suit is shiny and fits perfectly against his body, outlining the broadness of his shoulders and slim waist.

 

He looks gorgeous.

 

“I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen you wear white.” Baekhyun chuckles, “How you feeling?”

 

Kyungsoo clear his throat and adjusts his hold on the door, “Fine,” He says, opening it wider to let Baekhyun step inside.

 

“You look really nice, Mister.” Baekhyun leans up against a table as Kyungsoo finishes putting up the last remaining chairs. He replies with a quiet “thank you” and tries not to look at Baekhyun any longer as he looks around for his keys, ignoring the way his face is starting to flush when he catches Baekhyun staring at him from across the room.

 

Kyungsoo knows he doesn’t look half as good as Baekhyun, but when they show up, he immediately feels swallowed. Everyone is dressed nice, as nice as him, but somehow… Better.

 

“You really don’t have to do this.”

 

They’re still in the car. Kyungsoo has been looking outside at everyone going into the building like he’s just seen a ghost. The ride here was peaceful, they made small talk, and now that they’re actually here, Kyungsoo has suddenly felt his whole being leave his body entirely.

 

“No, it’s fine.” Kyungsoo shakes his head, “I’m fine. I’ll be fine.” He tries to reassure Baekhyun that this was not his fault, that this was Kyungsoo’s own conscious decision, and he’ll live with it because he’s grown and this is what people with real, functioning lives do.

 

It’s just a weird part of his life that he isn’t used to, because of Baekhyun. It always ends up with Baekhyun, somehow.

 

When they get out of the car, Baekhyun is quick to take Kyungsoo’s hand and walk with him out of the parking garage. He tugs on it, pulling Kyungsoo in a little closer to his side, and slows their walking pace down, “People are gonna have a lot of questions for you since they’ll see you with me, you know. But you absolutely are not obligated to answer any of them, okay?”

 

“I don’t think answering a couple of people’s questions is going to be the end of the world for me. I’ll be okay.” Kyungsoo assures, “Remind me what the significance of all this is again?”

 

“We just opened up our first location outside of Seoul. G-Light has expanded all the way to Busan, and tonight we’re celebrating the opening of it. Today was its first day, and it went great.” Baekhyun lights up when he talks about it, and it makes Kyungsoo smile, too. Baekhyun is a good reminder of what it’s like to have something you love and cherish. A business that means a lot to you. G-Light is Baekhyun’s pride and joy, and it’s clear when he talks about it.

 

Kyungsoo nods, listening as Baekhyun talks about everything he’s gone through in trying to get the Busan location open. All the traveling back and forth he did, the meetings he went through, the interviews, all of it. It was a busy time in his life, and now it’s finally open, it’s a new part of Baekhyun’s business, a new chapter of his life.

 

Kyungsoo admires it. He admires Baekhyun’s willingness to move forward and adapt to change, to expand his ties and branch out and do something new. It’s all the things Kyungsoo sincerely wishes he could do if he had the chance.

 

Kyungsoo unconsciously tightens his grip on Baekhyun’s hand at they walk up to the building together. There’s cameras flashing, he didn’t see those before. Maybe because they were waiting for Baekhyun, Kyungsoo has no idea, but it’s very overwhelming. Baekhyun doesn’t seem to mind though, he smiles and waves and bows as he pulls Kyungsoo right past security and into the building with everyone else.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t realize there’d be this many people.” Baekhyun says once they step on the elevator.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head, tells him not to worry about it, and that he’s fine. Baekhyun makes everything look too easy.

 

Kyungsoo enjoys his last few seconds of silence before the elevator doors slide open to reveal a vaguely familiar setting. It’s G-Light’s floor, expect louder, and darker. This is where Kyungsoo came to embarrass himself in front of Minseok, argued twice with Baekhyun, and expected to never see him again.

 

Now they’re walking in and saying hello to people hand in hand. Mostly because Kyungsoo forgot how to use his reflexes and won’t let go, but Baekhyun doesn’t seem to mind. He waves and greets everyone, bows and asks if they’re having a good night, if they’re excited about the new direction of the company.

 

Then he introduces Kyungsoo as his date. Because of course he does. If Kyungsoo couldn’t be anymore of a nervous wreck, Baekhyun confidently walking up to a group of their video producers who he knew, and saying “This is Kyungsoo, he’s my date tonight!” was the sure fire way of absolutely sending Kyungsoo off the deep end and making him go red the rest of the night.

 

Somewhere in that conversation there’s a couple of taps on the back of his shoulder, making him turn around and meet a bright, smiling face.

 

“Oh, Jongdae.” Kyungsoo has only ever met Jongdae once, and that was the night Baekhyun invited his entire company to occupy his restaurant.

 

“Having fun yet?” He asks, casually shoving his hands into his pockets as he waits for Kyungsoo to stumble for an answer.

 

“Mass gatherings not your thing either, huh?” Jongdae chuckles. He pulls his hands out of his pockets and waves from Kyungsoo to follow, “Come get a drink with me, I promise I’m not that bad.”

 

Baekhyun seems to hear this and glances at Kyungsoo brightly, letting go of his hand, and letting him go with Jongdae to the bar. Alcohol sounds like a lovely distraction as long as he doesn’t take advantage of it. He would like the last time Baekhyun saw him wasted to be the only time.

 

“I swear I only talked to you for like two seconds the first time we met.” Jongdae passes Kyungsoo his drink, and takes a sip from his own, “I already feel like we’re kinda friends though since Baekhyun never shuts his mouth. He talks about you a lot.”

 

Kyungsoo almost chokes on his drink when Jongdae says it, to make matters worse, Jongdae keeps going.

 

“He’s always smiling down at his phone like some weirdo. Everytime I ask what he’s doing he says, ‘Oh I’m talking to Kyungja’!”

 

Kyungsoo has his face buried in his hands at what Jongdae says, making him laugh and throw his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, “Seriously though, how long have you guys known each other?”

 

Kyungsoo groans and straightens back up, taking a thoughtful sip of his drink. A while, but not that long. Long, but not long enough.

 

“I dunno,” He shrugs, “Like two months?”

 

Jongdae nods, “Feels like it’s longer, right?”

 

Kyungsoo nods. It’s felt like a lot longer.

 

“Baekhyun has that impression. I’ve known him for almost a decade and I swear I have to remind myself that it’s only been eight years, not a lifetime.” Jongdae has a soft smile on his face, but it’s genuine. He didn’t know he and Baekhyun have known each other for that long. Baekhyun mentioned they’ve been friends a while, but eight years… Kyungsoo marvels at that.

 

“He told me about his crash, by the way.” Jongdae speaks up, breaking their shared few seconds of silence, “I was a little pissed he waited so long to tell me but he broke when I came over to see why he hadn’t showed up to work. He told me you were there to help him, right?”

 

Kyungsoo nods, “Yeah, he called me the night he crashed, he was pretty close by. I stayed the night with him at the hospital and got him home. It wasn’t a big deal, it was fine.”

 

Jongdae nods and messes with the glass of his drink, “Thank you.” He says.

 

“For what?” Kyungsoo watches Jongdae’s smile fall as he continues to stir his drink around. He shrugs, like he doesn’t know what to say but Kyungsoo can tell there’s something he’s trying to get out.

 

“He’s really happy.” His smile is back again, lips curling up just a bit. “It’s been rough for him. I mean, you’ve seen him. Sometimes he’s a lot to handle, and he’s kind of stupid. He cares too much about the details and ends up blaming himself and then he gets hurt. You don’t seem to mind though, you take care of him, and he really likes that.”


 

Jongdae is quiet for a second and takes another drink, “‘er loves the attention.”

 

Kyungsoo laughs at Jongdae’s remark and shakes his head, “I don’t mind it, really.” Kyungsoo giggles, “He’s a nice change in my life, even if he is reckless and kind of obnoxious.”

 

He’s talking to the one person who knows Baekhyun the best, Kyungsoo doesn’t see the harm in being honest about Baekhyun, especially if he’s been able to make a positive impact on his life. Kyungsoo just thought he stressed Baekhyun out, he tried to remain impassive and hide himself from the CEO, but something says Baekhyun has seen right through that, like he’s looking at Kyungsoo through a different lens.


 

Him and Jongdae talk a little longer. Kyungsoo tells Jongdae about the restaurant, his father, even things outside of his career. Jongdae listens the whole time, he asks a lot of questions, talks about G-Light, and, just like Baekhyun, lights up when he does.

 

Kyungsoo remembers Baekhyun telling him they both started this company from nothing when they were students, and Kyungsoo can feel the significance of tonight when the two of them stand up on the second level of the floor, and talk about their journey up until now. Six whole years of building something, making something that matters, talking about things that matter to them, and finding people of like mind.

 

“The hardest part about putting all this together” Baekhyun says into the mic, “Is finding people who want to write about something that means a lot to them. Finding people who care so much about something they’re willing to risk sleep for it. Not even a month ago, I spent two, tiring weeks in Busan trying to find people- People like me, and Jongdae, people especially like all of you, who wanted to share their views, express that though intense research and strong writing, and inspire more to do the same.”

 

Baekhyun pauses for a moment. Kyungsoo is standing quietly next to Minseok, who managed to wander up to him before the two went to speak. Baekhyun is practically glowing under the light pointed at them. The jewelry he has on is glittering on his skin, his eyes are bright with confidence, he looks regal standing up there.

 

“People like me,” He repeats, “Who came from nothing, and know what it’s like to live in a place where opinions are considered facts. People who broke that one sided glass, and found a new perspective. They’re all here tonight. They all made this possible. They’re all of you, they’re all of our new employees in Busan, and I couldn’t be anymore thankful to know that this has finally become something to celebrate. Thank you, all of you.”

 

The whole room erupts, people clap and cheer and Kyungsoo watches Baekhyun and Jongdae bow and and walk back down. Baekhyun has never talked all that much about his mission with the company, what it means to him, but he sees it now. He saw it in the way his eyes glossed over while he was talking, and the way he smiled when his employees startling cheering for him. Baekhyun is close with these people.

 

He isn’t just the CEO, he isn’t just their boss. He’s their friend, he’s their leader, he’s their reason and their his reason. Baekhyun and Jongdae are a pair that make this company what it is.


 

Baekhyun and Jongdae are laughing about something when Minseok and Kyungsoo find them at the foot of the stairs. Baekhyun takes one look at Kyungsoo and immediately wraps him in a tight hug. The gesture is sudden, it startles Kyungsoo considering he isn’t used to this sort of thing, but he hugs back with all the sincerity Baekhyun does.

 

“Thank you, so much, Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun whispers.

 

Again, with the thanking. Kyungsoo didn’t do anything. Not anything remarkable at least.

 

“For what?” He asks.

 

“For being here.” Baekhyun’s voice shakes just a little bit, and Kyungsoo takes upon himself to tighten his hold, “Shut up,” He chuckles, “I like seeing you alive, and I really like seeing you happy.”

 

He really does. Baekhyun’s emotions are contagious. Not just his happiness, but everything else. Seeing Baekhyun, even though Kyungsoo is not in the best place in his life, makes him feel better. Despite the stress it caused before, Kyungsoo has gotten used to the CEO and all his little quirks.

 

“These past few months have been so rough.” He mutters, “Those two weeks you didn’t hear from me was because I was busy doing all this in Busan… I’m so sorry.”

 

That makes more sense. Baekhyun never did give him a proper explanation on why he ghosted, just that he was busy with work. Kyungsoo smiles, and pulls back, holding Baekhyun by both shoulders.

 

“You were doing your job, Baekhyun. Don’t be afraid to tell me.”

 

Baekhyun smiles back, nods and pulls Kyungsoo back in again, “You’ve been a super big relief for me through all of this. I can’t thank you enough.”

 

“Just once is enough.”


 

The rest of the party goes by smoothly. Kyungsoo finds Sehun and playfully scolds him for not telling him about Chanyeol, because he’s still shocked about that. Kyungsoo spills about how him and Jongin have gotten a little too close and Sehun says he’s going to harass his friend about that the next time they see each other. 
 

The hours goes by smoothly. Kyungsoo forgets about everything that he’s going to have to deal with tomorrow. Pushes those thoughts to the back of his mind and only focuses on the good things. Like Baekhyun, and how happy he is.

 

Baekhyun ends up clinging onto Kyungsoo up until they leave. Throwing his arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulders, resting his chin on his shoulder, holding onto his arm, anything to keep Kyungsoo next to him, and Baekhyun succeeded.

 

Eventually he hands Kyungsoo his car keys and asks him to drive.

 

“I’m… A little tipsy.” Baekhyun chuckles, holding his fingers up just a few centimeters apart. His face is a bit flushed, now that Kyungsoo notices, and it’s cute.

 

“Baekhyun, you had like, two drinks.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

They walk out hand in hand, just as they had come in. Baekhyun exhales a heavy sigh of relief once they’re in the car, “God, I’m so hungry.” He buckles his seatbelt in and looks up at Kyungsoo, who hums in agreement.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Something terrible… I dunno.”

 

“Something like pizza?”

 

Kyungsoo’s suggestion makes Baekhyun light up and he nods eagerly. Kyungsoo calls to get it delivered on the way back after spending half the ride arguing whose place they were even going to, but Baekhyun heavily insisted on Kyungsoo’s, and the male finally ended up caving.

 

“If you’re gonna leave so soon we might as well give that place some happy memories, right?”

 

“It’s had plenty of those. Besides, your house is way nicer.” Kyungsoo unlocks the door to his house and Baekhyun stays silent for a few seconds, then quietly, “Only ‘cause I’m barely ever there.”

 

Kyungsoo looks over his shoulder at Baekhyun as he pushes the door open. He looks tired, but at the same time he seems as if he’s walking on cloud 9. He wants to ask Baekhyun what he means by that, but it’s that invasion of personal space thing that Kyungsoo is afraid of, and instead pushes that question away.

 

“Come on, food is gonna be here soon. He tugs at Baekhyun’s hand to lead him inside, and it’s when they’re slipping their shoes off Kyungsoo realizes, “Oh , you don’t have anything to change into.”


 

“Oh yeah… Guess not.” Baekhyun doesn’t sound too embarrassed by that, but he’s bigger than Kyungsoo, much more broad, too. He has no idea how any of his clothes will fit on him.

 

“Uhm… You don’t mind wearing… What I have… Right?”

 

Baekhyun huffs, “No, I don’t care. Anything is better than wearing this suit any longer.”

 

Kyungsoo nods and promises Baekhyun he’ll be back. After digging through what he has, and trying to figure out if anything he pulls out is going to fit, he settles on something simple enough and brings it out to Baekhyun after changing out of his clothes.

 

Kyungsoo finds Baekhyun slipping into the door with a box of pizza and a paper bag balanced on top and chuckles, “I bet the pizza guy was confused when you showed up to door.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes, “I tried not to make it obvious.”

 

“I’ll take that… Uh, you can change in my room. I really hope these will be okay.” Kyungsoo takes the pizza and bag from Baekhyun’s hands and they switch places, Baekhyun taking the clothes happily from Kyungsoo and disappearing out of the room.


 

A head soon falls onto his shoulder and a warm body presses up behind him, startling Kyungsoo while he cracks open two beers for each of them. Baekhyun seems to enjoy skinship more and more, and Kyungsoo doesn’t mind it. But he didn’t realize he wasn’t used to it.

 

“I know I said we’d talk about all this business stuff tonight but…”
 

Kyungsoo groans, now that Baekhyun brought it up it’s all he’s going to think about for the rest of the night. He’s probably going to lose sleep over this. He knows Baekhyun means well by this, but the very thought of trying to take this anywhere just makes him want to bang his head against the wall.

 

Baekhyun chuckles, and buries his face into Kyungsoo’s neck, “I know, I know. It’s late and I don’t wanna stress you out. We’ll do all that in the morning.” His breath is warm against Kyungsoo’s skin, making his grip around the glass bottle tighten. This should be illegal.

 

Baekhyun’s hand comes up and musses Kyungsoo’s hair, taking a beer and the whole box of pizza out to the living room, leaving Kyungsoo with a bag of breadsticks and flustered cheeks.


 

-- -- -- 




 

Baekhyun is spread out on Kyungsoo’s bed, half asleep and mumbling something about the movie they watched (that Baekhyun stayed awake through this time) inaudibly. Kyungsoo is sat next to him quietly eating the last breadstick that was left in the bag and partly listening to what Baekhyun is saying about one of the actors while he scrolls through his phone.

 

“Kyungja, did you have fun tonight?”

 

Kyungsoo glances over to Baekhyun, who is looking up at him with those sleepy eyes he’s become more and more familiar with, and nods, “It was fun. I enjoyed it.”

 

“That’s good. I wasn’t sure how you feel about stuff like that. You looked like you were having fun… But I just didn’t want to assume.” Baekhyun rests his forearm over his eyes.

 

“You… Watched me?” Kyungsoo chuckles watching as Baekhyun’s arm falls away from his face and into Kyungsoo’s arm, “Shut up, I’m not some weirdo… I was just… Concerned.” His arm goes back to cover his eyes again, or maybe the flush on his cheeks, maybe both.

 

“Whatever you say, weirdo. Go to sleep.”

 

Baekhyun hums and kicks his legs up and down like a child, “I’m not tired yet. I wanna keep talking to you.”

 

“Why?” The question wasn’t meant to sound degrading against himself, but it does anyways. Kyungsoo is genuinely curious, and while they’re here, it wouldn’t hurt. Even Baekhyun looks a little taken aback by the promptness of Kyungsoo’s question, glancing back at him looking slightly more awake now.

 

“Because…” He mutters, “I like talking to you?” His voice raises as if it was a trick question, and it makes Kyungsoo giggle.

 

“Okay, but why?” If Baekhyun wants to drag this on, then Kyungsoo has no problem with it.

 

Baekhyun goes silent for a few seconds, staring at Kyungsoo like he isn’t sure what he means, but Kyungsoo can tell he’s got an answer.

 

“I just do…” He answers finally, once again putting his arm over his eyes.

 

“Tell me something, Kyungja. Anything.”

 

Kyungsoo huffs, and rolls his eyes, ignoring Baekhyun as he eats the last bite of his breadstick, but to his surprise (it really shouldn’t be), Baekhyun prods him, “Come on,” He whines, “Just tell me something. I don’t care.”

 

Kyungsoo goes goes silent as he thinks. He knows Baekhyun won’t really care what he says, as long as it’s something he can keep a conversation going with, but still, Kyungsoo is picky.

 

“I’m proud of you,” Kyungsoo glances down at Baekhyun, a bashful smile grows slowly on his face, “Come on,” He groans, and waves his hand in the air to try and get Kyungsoo to stop talking about him.

 

“No, seriously.” Kyungsoo drops his hand to his lap, “I don’t think I’ve told you that yet, but… I really am proud of you, Baekhyun.”

 

There’s silence between the two of them for a moment, Kyungsoo still unsure if he should carry this on, and takes it upon himself to do so anyways. Baekhyun deserves to hear this. It’s his night, he’s worked for this, he deserves to hear it even if Kyungsoo is just another face in the crowd.

 

“I know we haven’t known each other for a really long time. Not as long as you’ve known Minseok, definitely not as long as Jongdae, but… I’ve come to know you a little better. I think anyone can tell you’re really dedicated to what you do, and you make sure that you find people that are dedicated, too. And that’s important in any business, no matter where you go. I think having a dedicated leader who knows what’s best for those around them is… Inspiring.”


 

Kyungsoo shrugs, “You’ve always been a very genuine person, I can tell. I mean, you’ve donated your money and your time to causes that really need it. You started this company from the ground up with a goal in mind, and you haven’t strayed away from it. Instead you just work harder to make it true to what you envision. Goals like that are important, because they keep you on your feet, it reminds you of why you started all this in the first place…”

 

Kyungsoo takes a breath, he can feel Baekhyun staring at him but he doesn’t look back,

 

“I know I’m not one to talk about running a successful business but… Once upon a time it was my parents that ran this place, and they knew what they were doing.”

 

“That… Thank you… So much.” Baekhyun smiles, he’s looking up at Kyungsoo with that stupid bright smile of his. The one he gets when he’s really happy. Like he has been all night.

 

In some other universe, Kyungsoo probably would have kissed Baekhyun by now. The stupid, good looking, really ing cute, CEO. He hates that he likes him. He hates that he’s denied liking him ever since he came stumbling into Kyungsoo’s establishment that night. He hates that all he’s thought about since a few nights ago is kissing Baekhyun.

 

“Just so you know…” Baekhyun stretches his leg out and pokes Kyungsoo’s with his foot, “I think you’d be a great business owner if you were given a proper chance. I’ve seen what you can do. What you can really do… You just need a chance to show that people.”

 

That’s a lot coming from one of the country’s most successful people. That’s something that Kyungsoo has heard before but has never really believed because he can never tell if people say it just because or if they truly see more in him than he does in himself.

 

“But,” Baekhyun sings as he turns over on his side, back facing Kyungsoo, “I’m just a pretty businessman, right? What do I know?” His tone is clearly sarcastic, making the both of them chuckle before silence falls. They stay like that for a while, until Kyungsoo flicks his light off, thinking Baekhyun is asleep and turns over so his back is against Baekhyun, but when the CEO whispers Kyungsoo’s name, he sighs, “Why are you awake?”

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun’s voice is tired, but Kyungsoo can tell he’s smiling, “For being my date tonight… And for coming with me despite what’s going on. I- Thank you.”

 

Kyungsoo smiles, “It was fun, thank you for inviting me.”

 

“Also, thank you for letting me sleep in your bed.”

 

Baekhyun,”

 

“Okay, okay. Goodnight, Kyungsoo.”


 

Kyungsoo doesn’t fall asleep immediately despite how tired he he is. He lies there for a while, loses track of time, and eventually find himself in his office to continue losing track of time while he goes through papers that he really wishes he could put a flame to.

 

He doesn’t do any work though, Kyungsoo just stares at everything. Too tired to really do anything productive, he just sits hunched over his desk and reads and rereads everything in front of him. He tries to process what Junmyeon said today, tries to remind himself this was his own doing, his own decision, with perfectly sound reasons, but somehow he can’t help but to get angry at the world.

 

“Late night reading?”

 

Kyungsoo jumps and piles up all the papers frantically, looking over at the familiar body leaned up in the doorway.

 

“Uhm, I was- Yeah…” Kyungsoo watches Baekhyun push himself off the doorframe and walk across the room. Kyungsoo’s fingers tighten around the papers as he watches, “Why are you awake?”

 

Baekhyun sits halfway on the edge of the desk, lips pouted as he thinks, “I was riddled with awful nightmares.” He says finally, “It happens.”

 

Before Kyungsoo can even ask, Baekhyun jumps to get the first word again, “I should be the one asking what you’re doing up.”

 

Baekhyun glances down quickly at the papers in Kyungsoo’s hands then to Kyungsoo, eyebrows raised in question.

 

“I couldn’t sleep.” Kyungsoo lies the papers flat and rests his head in his arms on top, “Sorry about your nightmares… I didn’t know you had them.”

 

“It’s fine,” Baekhyun huffs. Kyungsoo hears him push himself off the desk and soon a warm hand is sliding up and down his back, “Let’s go, you shouldn’t be up worrying yourself about this. It’s not healthy.”

 

No, it isn’t. But he can’t stop thinking about it. Staring at it and trying to understand it all isn’t going to make anything better. It’s not going to give him any more answers.

 

“Come on, Soo, you need to sleep.”

 

‘Soo’. He hasn’t heard anyone call him that in a really long time. The last time he heard anyone call him that he was breaking up with an ex and that was a couple of years ago.

 

Hearing Baekhyun say it feels much different than the hundreds of times he heard it said to him before. It feels better. Having Baekhyun coax him out of this awful ha it feels better than being told he’s wasting his time. Having Baekhyun ease him out of his office, and back to bed is a million times better than being alone and forcing himself to do it.

 

Baekhyun is quiet as he climbs back into Kyungsoo’s bed after getting him to lay down, and the office light turned off. Kyungsoo apologized maybe a dozen times between there and here, in his bed, facing Baekhyun.

 

“I’m so sorry.” Kyungsoo breathes, closing his eyes, hoping that his exhaustion will get the best of him.

 

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun says. A familiar hand finds Kyungsoo’s and takes it. A different kind of warmth floods through his body and immediately makes him feel right where he needs to be.

 

“You’re okay, you’ll be okay.”