Chapter 2

A Lost Cause (Until I Met You)

 

 

“And you forgot your name both times? You never forget to introduce yourself… That’s the first thing you do when you meet anyone. That’s not like you, Hyung.”


 

“Yeah, I know. I panicked.” Kyungsoo groans, resting himself on the table across from Jongin, who's here to get his daily fix of ramen after a long day in the office.

 

“G-Light media,” Jongin whispers to himself, “Ya know, I hear that’s a really good place to work right now, the CEO is about our age too. Him and the vice, I think.”

 

“Yeah, so I’ve found.”

 

“What? It’s really cool he tried to help you,” Jongin whines through a mouth of food, “What did I say when I left yesterday? Miracle, right? And you being the selfless, good for nothing bastard you are, you soiled it.”

 

Kyungsoo sends a glare across the table, causing Jongin to make a sound. The male looks like he’s about to say something else but the front door of the restaurant opens, and two figures walk inside. One of them being very familiar.


 

“This is it? He didn’t lie did he?”

 

Kyungsoo almost trips out of his seat as he goes to greet the pair. One of them is that cute secretary from yesterday, Sehun, if he can remember from what his name plate said yesterday.

 

The young man’s face lights up as he nods when Kyungsoo asks if he can seat them. Jongin looks totally dead in the face, he’s hardly ever seen other people in here, this is totally new to him.

 

It’s only two guys, not a lot, but so much better than one (no offense to Jongin).

 

He gets their drinks, their orders, and soon enough is preparing everything in the kitchen. He usually doesn’t get a lot of people in one day. It scatters out over the month.

 

This is what he lives for. That little spark of passion that lights up when people come in for his food.

 

Baekhyun probably told them, based off of their conversation when they walked in. Strange considering the events that unfolded yesterday right in front of all of Baekhyun’s other employees in his own building, of his own company.

 

Baekhyun should hate him, maybe. He should at least be a little mad, not telling his employees about the weird guy who let him sleep on his couch. Either way, Kyungsoo is thankful. These people traveled a good deal across town to come to his little place just because their weird boss might have said something good about it.

 

He’s gonna take this as a sign, especially considering how yesterday’s meeting with his landlord went, Kyungsoo needs this.

 

“So,” Kyungsoo says, placing two refreshments on the table, “What made you two come all this way? Your company is based in the city.”

 

The two thank him and then look at each other for a split second, almost trying to play a game of who was going to speak first and Sehun decides to jump on it.

 

“CEO Byun asked me what you were doing there after you… Ran out… So I told him and asked how you two knew each other and…” His eyes fall around the small space and he shrugs, “He started rambling about what happened.”

 

The young man’s eyes fall across the room nervously, unsure about if he should even be telling Kyungsoo any of what is coming out of his mouth right now.

 

“He mentioned you had good food though so… I got the address off him.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes almost roll out of his head at that.

 

The CEO of G-Light Media has the address to his restaurant.

 

He could be just handing it out to people left and right and there’s no telling what he could be saying to them. Kyungsoo should’ve been a little nicer when Baekhyun showed up out of the dark, he should’ve given the bastard his name at least. The poor guy had to make the check out to the restaurant because Kyungsoo, the one who was taught to talk formally and respectfully to anyone, older or younger, forgot one simple, common manner.

 

“It means a lot you even took this into account, really.” Kyungsoo smiles, hoping that neither of the two males sitting in front of him can see the red tinting his ears.

 

Kyungsoo hurries back to the kitchen to check the status of the broth boiling before he goes to work adding spices and slicing up meat and chopping vegetables.

 

He knows this isn’t going to save him, but Kyungsoo wants to try and hold out for as long as he can. Six months was just a rough estimate but his mind knows that there’s no way he’ll barely last longer than that. Kyungsoo wants to make the best out of what’s left of this place and if it takes some gushy kids from the middle of the city or from down the road, he’ll make the best out of what he can.

 

It won’t be a lot. But it’s what his dad would have wanted. Maybe. Hopefully.


 

Kyungsoo pretty much blacks out the entire time he’s in the kitchen. Unless he’s cooking for himself, he never gets to fully immerse himself in the same experiences he had when he was a kid. Watching his parents doing the same work he is, multiplied by two, is something he was always dreamed of doing.

 

Then he grew up.


 

Getting to jump back to his childhood and live in the shoes of his parents for just a few minutes changes his mood completely. He’s thankful for the time being. Despite his constant pessimism about the future of this place, he’s thankful to anyone and everyone that’s even given this place a second glance since he took over.

 

He has no idea what he’s going to do after this six months or so is up. He needs to get some ideas, find some places, talk to some people, whatever he can do to have a somewhat solid backup plan before his life officially falls to shambles.

 

He heaves a sigh as he carefully pours each of the men’s orders into their bowls, loading them up onto a tray and carrying them out to the two.

 

They thank him, stare at the meal in front of them in amazement, and go to town.

 

It takes a lot for Kyungsoo to hold down the proud smile that tugs at his lips, but he lets it go when he turns around to go cleanup and get a bill started.

 

Kyungsoo manages to get halfway through before he goes back out to check on Jongin and the two younger men and finds himself making a plethora of side dishes about two minutes later.

 

If Kyungsoo could afford a part-timer, it’d be really useful right now. His hands keep getting cramped from chopping so much that he has to stop for a few seconds, stretch it out, and keep going. It’s getting warm back here, he’s starting to break a sweat, which is really gross, he hates sweating.

 

“Okay,” He breathes, loading the dishes back up onto the tray, and tries to keep himself from stumbling as he hurries to get everything outside.

 

Strangely, Jongin has already left. On the table is the ticket for his food, along with a bill to cover set aside some for Kyungsoo. He’s always told Jongin to never leave tips so the guy just paid with his card instead of cash except for when Kyungsoo wasn’t looking.

 

He takes the copy of his receipt, along with the bill so he can count it all away and notices a little note on the back of the receipt:

 

Cooking-hyung is cute when he’s happy!!!

Let’s drink together soon~ 

 

 

And ask the very tall giggly man what is name is please (he has the glasses)

 

Night Night !

 

He should really stop considering Jongin a customer at this point and just say that he’s his friend. He’s been in here nearly everyday since he moved here and Kyungsoo thinks that the male knows more about him than he does about himself.

 

Kyungsoo has to reread the side note Jongin left about a tall giggly man in glasses. His brows press together as he looks over at the two who are chatting happily among themselves and spots the man in glasses. It’s Sehun’s friend. He’ll introduce himself before they leave and should have no trouble remembering. As far as Kyungsoo can recall, Jongin has never talked about so much as a crush since he started warming up to Kyungsoo. Him asking about anyone is a surprise to him.

 

Kyungsoo sets aside everything at the register, migrates back to the kitchen and finishes cleaning up, then makes his way back out to check on the pair again.

 

He hates asking the dreaded, ‘was everything okay?’, but does so anyways and watches the smile up at him nodding, “Now I know why CEO Byun talked so excitedly about you. I haven’t had genuine ramen in a while.” Sehun smiles, his tall friend agrees, and in the next beat, Kyungsoo is taking their cards through the readers and seeing them out.

 

‘Talked so excitedly about you’

 

‘You’ referring to Kyungsoo? Or ‘You’ referring to the restaurant in general? Kyungsoo doesn’t doesn’t think too hard about it, instead just thanks the two for their visit as they leave.

 

Tall friend’s name is Park Chanyeol. Mental note for Jongin.

 

 

 

-- -- --

 

 

 

Kyungsoo really hates that he kept the light on an hour longer while cleaning up the shop last night just in case any friendly strangers came waltzing by. It was dead after Sehun and his tall friend left.

 

Today is one out of the two days of the week that he spends doing one of two things;

 

Seeing his mom, or doing mass amounts of paperwork.

 

There was a bit of hesitation is doing both. He likes seeing his mom, but considering the state that things are in right now, he isn’t sure how her reaction will be. Paperwork for obvious reasons. He also needs to go to the market sometime to get more ingredients for the kitchen.

 

Cross out the paperwork, he thinks. Kyungsoo literally does that everyday and has more than enough time to go through it anyways. After all, it’s not like he’s expecting a crowd.

 

He opts for seeing his mom. It’s only a train stop away and it’s been a couple of weeks since he’s seen her anyways. He can leave all the bad stuff out. She knows, for the most part, that the place is falling apart, has been, even before Kyungsoo took over. He tries to leave all that out anyways, it always raises more questions, leaves Kyungsoo clinging desperately onto excuses, it always runs in the same cycle and it’s best to try and avoid the topic the best he can.

 

It’s not like she wouldn’t understand. After all, if it wasn’t for Kyungsoo being so stubborn and sentimental, she would have closed the place down all those years ago. If it wasn’t for him getting in the way, Kyungsoo’s life could have gone in a much different direction, and chances are, they would have been a helluva lot better than where he’s at now.

 

“You’re thinking about it again,” She said, breaking him out of his thoughts as he was mindlessly chopping away in the kitchen.

He shook his head, stayed very far away from the topic of a certain CEO, as well as his death sentence in six months and said it was nothing, and not to worry about it. That he was taking care of it and would have it all sorted out soon. Basically indirectly stating the fact that he is totally going out of business but tried to make it sound like he was getting somewhere in the opposite direction.

 

Kyungsoo dropped the topic as quickly as it was sparked and hurried to ask her about any markets nearby to stock up on ingredients for the kitchen. He can’t make it out to seem like it’s a big deal, so he’s losing business, it happens more often than not. Kyungsoo just got unlucky.

 

His mother sent him home with a list of markets in the area he could visit, not that he really needed them, along with some food to take home for himself.

 

He planned on going to the market that was near the restaurant, but asking was just a way to keep more tricky topics off the mind. Besides, he didn’t want to carry around a container of food all night or have to wait until it out for the next few days. Night markets are an option too, but Kyungsoo can’t seem to find any time to waste considering he’s too swarmed with work. He used to go all the time, it’d be nice to go back someday.

 

It’s a quick in and out of the house, dropping stuff off, getting other stuff to take with him, and he’s back out of the house with a backpack over his shoulders and two woven, wicker baskets in hand.

 

There’s some chatter around him as he locks the door. Too close for comfort but he ignores it until he hears a quiet, “That’s the owner.” from behind him.

 

“He’s so young though, serious?”

 

“Mhm, took over for his parents a while ago but has some… other plans.” He knows that voice. That’s his landlord.

 

He turns around, throws a quick smile and wave to the man, and his on his way.

 

This is gonna keep getting worse and Kyungsoo knows it for a fact. He got out as fast as he could before the guy could try and say anything else to him, because he saw that look on his face, he was about to stop Kyungsoo and try to sell him on these people, just like he has time and time again for the past few months. 

 

He really wonders how much his landlord has told people about him. It’s not like Kyungsoo has had things too hard, it’s not he’s a bad owner either. He does just fine, and he’s gotten along with everyone that comes in and tries to buy this place out.

 

His landlord is a nice guy. Despite them not totally seeing eye to eye, he's been more lenient with Kyungsoo than the other old guys have, and he’s at least grateful for that.

 

A drink would Jongin sounds way too tempting of an offer right about now as Kyungsoo ducks his head to try and stay out of sight of the potential new buyers of the place.

 

He hasn’t even put it on the market yet… He really can’t catch a break.

 

It was a quiet, short bus ride to the regular market he visits. Days off usually grant him the freedom to visit other places and window shop and remind himself that he can’t afford literally anything he picks up. He’s here for one purpose, and that’s food.

 

He did indulge in some cheap street food as he passed by the crowded stalls and eyed all of the goods that were being sold. He’s thought about trying this before, but that pessimistic mind of his tells him it would be reliving his own day to day. No one would pass him a second glance.

 

He ended up staying way longer than he intended. It was dark by the time he was leaving with two full baskets of various meats and vegetables and flour. All the good stuff.

 

Kyungsoo was just down the road, trying to adjust the baskets that started making his arms sore when a shadowed figure appeared that made him stop and stare for a few seconds.

 

It’s hazy, the lights of the stores around make it hard to catch a figure considering they’re standing under the awning of Kyungsoo’s restaurant.

 

His jaw clenched and his grip tightens on the baskets as he storms up he road, ready to give what look like a potential burglar an entire mouthful of frozen meat straight to the face.

 

“Hey!” He calls, watching the figure turn around, “Who the do you think you-“

 

The figure steps out from under the awning towards Kyungsoo, and immediately causes Kyungsoo to stop cold.

 

“Ah, I’ve been standing here for a while, ya know. I didn’t realize you were actually gone… Sorry.”

 

Stupid CEO. Byun Baekhyun.

 

“What the hell are you doing here? I’m closed today anyways.” He snaps, ignoring the male and walking up to the restaurant.

 

He drops the baskets, fishes the keys out from his backpack and unlocks the door.

 

“Yeah, I saw. I just…” The man goes quiet and Kyungsoo inwardly laughs to himself. He came here full well knowing that the stores hours are posted on the front door but has the audacity to try and excuse himself.

 

“Kyungsoo,” The make quickly stops and turns around, repeating his name again as Baekhyun stares puzzled at Kyungsoo under the faint light.

 

“My name,” He sighs, “Is Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Baekhyun smiles, “There’s part of what I came here for.”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and pushes the door of the shop open. Immediately, the security alarm blares through the small place and Kyungsoo is suddenly multitasking to try and get the baskets and make it to the alarm before it notifies the police.

 

Baekhyun is quick to catch on and takes up the baskets himself, brushing against Kyungsoo’s hand as he tries the take the one he was struggling with, retracting and finding a grip again.

 

Kyungsoo stares in a mix of shock and confusion and Baekhyun tells him to go ahead. He does so, hurrying to turn off the alarm and returning to see Baekhyun obviously struggling with the baskets, groaning as he drags the one full of meat across the floor, the other with produce dangling dangerously on the crook of his elbow.

 

“Jesus, did you carry these all the way here?” He groans, watching Kyungsoo try to hold in a laugh.

 

“Yeah. I do this like… Every other week.” Kyungsoo says flatly, finally deciding to end the CEO’s suffering and going to help him.

 

“Your arms must be no joke then… Wow.” He breathes, watching as Kyungsoo takes up both the baskets and walk towards the kitchen.

 

“They’re usually lighter than this. But I had a few more people come in these last couple weeks than I expected.” He sets the baskets on the counter and looks back towards Baekhyun who is standing on the other side of the door to the kitchen, staring in through the window almost pitifully.

 

Kyungsoo stares at him again, motioning to him that yes, you can come inside the kitchen. No one else is here, it’s not like it’s off limits, especially considering Baekhyun’s unexpected drop in at this hour.

 

Baekhyun looks around as he walks in, quietly standing by the door and watching Kyungsoo moving to the sink to wash everything off and put them away.

 

“So,” Kyungsoo says, pulling some carrots from the basket and moving to the sink, “You said my name was part of the reason you’re here. Mind telling me the other?”

 

Baekhyun looks up in realization and he whispers a quick, “Oh, yeah!” as he leans back against the wall, shoving his hands into his pockets casually.

“I just wanted to know… Since you left so suddenly the other day… Why you gave that check back to me. I wrote it out to you for a reason, ya know.”

 

Kyungsoo suppresses an eye roll as he pauses washing the carrots for a moment, then shakes his head and continues.

 

“I don’t need it, or want it. I can make my own money.” Kyungsoo clips, putting the bunch of carrots to the side to dry, and moves on to cucumbers.

 

Baekhyun huffs. Kyungsoo isn’t going to give the CEO pride just because Kyungsoo helped him one time. He isn’t going to take his money and risk potentially receiving more after… That’s like… Having a sugar daddy. Kyungsoo desperately hopes Baekhyun isn’t into that. Kyungsoo does not want a sugar daddy keeping his restaurant alive. He’s rather just shut down than deal with any of that. He couldn’t imagine explaining to someone that his rent is being paid by a CEO of a media company in the city. Oh, the thought almost makes him shiver.

 

The point is, Kyungsoo makes a living on his own and has done so for years now. He doesn’t need anyone to help him. He isn’t he type to take from people or cause burdens. He’ll live with what he can and do his job alone until it’s suitable for other help. But now is not that time.

 

“Besides,” Kyungsoo starts, not looking at Baekhyun, “I’m shutting this place down anyways. There’s no use trying to keep it open.”

 

Baekhyun makes a noise across the room, a kind of choked gasp that has Kyungsoo glaring at him.

 

“You what  ? Come on, Mister! You don’t mean that.” The man objects, jutting his lips as he stares at Kyungsoo.

 

“First, my name is Kyungsoo. And second, yes, I can. It’s my restaurant.” Kyungsoo retorts, stepping to the side to dry the cucumbers.

 

Baekhyun is quiet for a moment, Kyungsoo glances up to him for a split second and the male looks deep in thought. Hands shoved into his pockets, eyebrows knitted together as he stares at the floor.

 

“Why?” The CEO asks suddenly, looking up at Kyungsoo. “I mean, I know running a business is rough, take it from me. But… I can help, I-“

 

“I’m already too far in debt. It’s best to let go now while I still can.” Kyungsoo starts, moving on to wash some lettuce.

 

He probably shouldn’t have said he was shutting down so suddenly. Bad move, especially because he’s talking to the guy who literally wrote him a hot check to “fix his chairs”. Not his entire restaurant situation. Kyungsoo probably just opened a whole new can of worms now because he was doing what he thought was right.

 

“No need to offer any help.” He continues quickly, stopping the other male from getting any further ideas.   “It’s… Not worth it.”

 

Baekhyun goes quiet again, taking his lip between his teeth as he thinks.

He opens his mouth, voice a little hesitant as he speaks. “So you’re just gonna waste all your talent? What are you gonna do?”

 

“Huh?” Kyungsoo looks back over to Baekhyun again, still looking as pitiful as ever. He shrugs, “I’ll find something…”

 

Baekhyun hums, “You sound unsure, Kyungja.” The CEO smirks.

 

“ Kyungsoo .” He corrects sharply. Baekhyun chuckles, tilting his head to the side almost cutely.

 

“Listen,” The other starts, “Kim Minseok, my financial director- total genius. You saw him yesterday. He’s my saving grace at the company, if I hooked you guys up-“

 

“No, no, and no.” Kyungsoo interjects, dropping his task at hand and turning to face Baekhyun fully,

“Do you not understand? I’m twenty-eight and already drowning in financial debt. You have absolutely no idea how small businesses work, do you? Making a living is ing impossible once big corporate businesses start sniffing out places like this, and I’m right at the top.”

 

“Maybe not small businesses exactly…” be trails, “But business is business, you just-“

 

“No,” Kyungsoo snaps again, “Don’t say I haven’t done enough to make myself be seen. I’ve stood out in the ing snow handing out flyers. I’ve wasted night putting ads up in the train stations, in papers, on light posts. Don’t tell me I haven’t wasted myself away enough to save this place when I have.”

 

Kyungsoo’s voice was surprisingly even when he let it all spill, but his chest still heaves and his blood still boils. Stupid big business owners like him don’t get it. He can’t get it through Baekhyun’s thick ing corporate skull that his business is going to be dust in less than six months time.

 

Baekhyun stands there staring back at Kyungsoo in shock, his eyes wide like he’s seen a ghost, his lips parted, breath held.

 

He blinks a few times, trying to overcome the momentary stun, then smiles smugly. If Kyungsoo could smack that grin off his face with the head of lettuce in his hand he would’ve done it by know. What a bastard.

 

“Meet me at my company tomorrow morning at eight-thirty. I’m gonna help you out, Mister Kyungja.”

 

Baekhyun waves, and slips out of the kitchen, this time leaving Kyungsoo to stand dumbly shock. He’s still standing like that, eyes darting between Baekhyun’s previous place on the wall, to the door, back and forth, when Baekhyun pops his head through the door one last time.

 

“Oh, and bring some food. Minseok and Jongdae didn’t believe what I told them about you. They aren’t picky, so be creative.” Baekhyun winks, and slips out the door again.

 

Kyungsoo tried to gain some sense, and calls out to Baekhyun but the only answer he received is the bell of the restaurant chiming and an engine revving a minute later.

 

So now he has to spend the rest of his night cooking. Fan-ing-tastic.