Two

Paradise/Mayday

The mornings are freezing.

There’s a sharp chill in the air that’s felt in this town more so than where Mark lives now. He’s so unaccustomed to it that the icy temperature during the sunrise acts as his alarm clock. Mark wakes shivering even under his thick, white blanket. He tries to return to sleep, but the uncomfortable frost enveloping his face and feet is keeping him awake. Assuming he probably won’t be sleeping again anytime soon, Mark decides to get up with a sigh.

Unlike yesterday, his mom isn’t in the kitchen when he makes himself a cup of coffee. There is, however, still a plate of breakfast waiting for him and a note that says his mom and dad went to the store to do some grocery shopping.

Mark eats his meal joyfully, thankful for having such loving parents. He nearly forgot how nice it was to have a meal waiting for him. When he finishes eating, he goes to the bathroom to shower.

The hot water feels rejuvenating on his freezing body, and he takes extra care to clean himself as much as possible. He shaves what little hair has grown on his face, making sure his chin looks nice and smooth. He doubles his layers, knows he won’t be able to talk without his teeth chattering if he didn’t. He also spends extra time on making his hair swooped carefully exactly just the way he likes it.

When he finishes, the clock reads a quarter past nine. He’s never been a morning person, generally preferred to sleeping in than waking up early to do little errands here and there. Which is why he’s quite surprised by how much he has finished and how productive he has been even though it’s still so early.

Despite the wintry atmosphere, the sun is still high and bright outside. The light filters in from the outside and through the open blinds, slivers of sunlight glinting on the open box Mark took out the day before yesterday. When he approaches it, he allows himself to wallow in the profound emotion he tasted from every item.

He’s looking forward to today, if he’s being honest with himself. He certainly lost recollection of how absolutely enjoyable it was to hang out with Jinyoung. Excitement is building up inside him, making his head swim in exhilarating waters. Mark lets his hand travel into the box and along the sentimental items resting in there. He stops on the movie ticket stub and the old receipt, and caresses them three times, as if doing so will grant him a magic wish from its magical memories.

***

Mark and Jinyoung were thirteen when they first went to the movies together, alone.

They were supposed to go with friends, but every one of them ended up bailing on Mark and Jinyoung. That was totally fine though, because if there was anyone he’d choose to get stuck in a movie theater with for the next two hours, it would be his favorite person Jinyoung.

They were being dropped off to the cinema by Mark’s mom. Mark had reached around Jinyoung to grab the seat belt and buckle him in with the premise of ‘safety first.’

On the way there, his mom had been nagging them about what to do and what not to do. She had demanded them not to talk to strangers or any funny looking people. Mark and Jinyoung didn’t even know what funny looking people meant, but they both nodded nonetheless. She had reminded them that even though they were thirteen and were given permission to watch the movie by themselves, that did not mean that they were adults now or that they could stay out past 7:00 pm.

It was only 3:00 pm, so Mark and Jinyoung had plenty of time to watch a movie and do a little extra adventuring. Mark’s mom had told him that he should call when they wanted to get picked up and that if there was any sort of emergency, they should call her right away. Mark and Jinyoung had nodded once more. Looking slightly worried yet satisfied, Mark’s mom left them alone with hugs full of emotion.

They ended up getting tickets for a comedy, one that was light and comfortable and easy to follow. Mark pocketed the ticket stubs, including Jinyoung’s. When Jinyoung had asked why, he simply answered for safekeeping. Of course, they took advantage of the arcade games that were available in the theater. It was a must while they wait for the movie to start.

Before it did, Mark bought the biggest bucket of popcorn, tons of candies for dessert, and an extra large drink to share. Jinyoung had smiled shyly and awkwardly at how much Mark was spending, but the older consoled him saying he saved his allowance for it and had enough money for this as well as a meal after.

Jinyoung pointed to the back row when they got into the theater room. The lights were still on, and commercials and trailers still flashed from the big screen.

The movie was terribly funny, so much so that Mark felt his stomach aching from how much he reacted to the movie. They had laughed and giggled and snickered their buttocks off like any teenager would during a comedy, and if every once in a while their hands casually touched each other’s when reaching for some buttery popcorn goodness, they didn’t mention it.

And if Mark found himself drinking soda thirty seconds after every time Jinyoung drank from it, he blamed it all on how his throat felt too dry because of all the laughter. The candy tasted sweet too, but sweeter was the look of genuine joy on Jinyoung’s face each time he took a bite of the sugar belts and whenever he popped a skittle into his mouth.

When they finished the movie, Jinyoung asked if Mark wanted to go to the nearby diner famous for their milkshakes, baby taters, and all-you-can-eat pancakes. Mark was more than happy to oblige.

The Kim’s Diner at the corner of 4th and McKinley was family-owned and named the Best Diner in Town. However, it carried no actual significance because it was the only diner in town. The outside walls of Kim’s Diner were painted a pleasantly bland shade of blue-green, with wide windows lined in a vivid reddish pink.

The sign was huge and read Kim’s Diner in strawberry pink neon lights. The staff were friendly and hospitable, and Mark and Jinyoung ordered a boat of fries and a milkshake each. They didn’t finish quickly, were content in stretching their time together talking about useless topics while eating perfectly salted fries.

Mark and Jinyoung occasionally traded beverages and drank off each other’s milkshakes with the excuse of wanting the best of both worlds, since Mark ordered the rich chocolate while Jinyoung got the classic vanilla.

And if somewhere in the middle of the night they linked pinkies, voices hushed, hearts in their hands, promising to be best friends forever, nobody needed to know.

Their time together came to a stop when Mark’s mom called him and asked when they wanted to get picked up, and from the tone of her voice, he knew the correct answer would be ‘now.’

And so Mark and Jinyoung finished the night by paying for the meal. Since they ordered basically the same thing and were going to pay in cash, they ended up combining the order onto one tab and splitting the cost. Mark kept the receipt.

Mark’s mom came shortly after and asked how it was. It was fantastic, obviously. They dropped off Jinyoung, Mark giving him a tight hug when they said goodbye.

And as Mark was about to go to sleep, he received a text from his friend saying he had the most fun today. Mark replied saying he did too, and that Jinyoung should go to sleep so they have energy to hang out again tomorrow.

***

Mark shakes his head and snaps out of his reverie.

Revisiting the past has always been a whirlwind of emotions. Mark gathers himself and rushes out the door. The walk to Jinyoung’s house seems longer than usual. This is also the first time Mark truly looked at each house on their street, and with mild surprise noticed that the Park residence was one of the only three homes that did not have Christmas lights up.

Putting on his best smile, Mark walks up to the front door ready for some bonding time. Like the last time he was here, Mark takes a deep breath and rings the doorbell as soon as he gets to the welcome mat.

“Mark!” Jinyoung exclaims, surely surprised to see him for the second day in a row. After all, he had not seen him for basically three thousand days before all of this. He gathers himself quickly though. “Here to drop off another one of your mom’s gifts?”

“No,” Mark chuckles lightly. “I was actually taking you up on your offer to… uhh, how did you say it? ‘Catch up soon, or something?’”

Jinyoung stares at him, bewildered. Mark assumes Jinyoung probably didn’t count on Mark actually following through with hanging out with him again. But then Jinyoung is giving him a soft smile.

“Or something,” Jinyoung says wistfully. “Though I wish you had contacted me before this so that I had time to get myself ready.”

Mark finally checks out Jinyoung’s clothing, and sure enough, he’s in his sleepwear. Even though he’s only wearing pajama bottoms and a simple white t-shirt, Mark finds him absolutely breathtaking.

“Well, you can get ready now,” Mark comments and gives himself a reminder to retrieve Jinyoung’s number later so he can contact him the next time.

“Alright,” Jinyoung agrees as he steps farther into his home. But before he gets more than a few feet, he turns back right around to face Mark, a smirk playing on his lips. “Are you just going to stand outside while I get ready? Or?”

Mark looks around, unsure what to do with himself. “Well, would that be okay?”

Jinyoung gives him a confused look.

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

Mark’s not sure. He just always assumed that Jinyoung would be furious with him for leaving so suddenly, always thought that his estranged childhood best friend would not welcome him after the situation he forced them through. Once again, Mark feels strongly that he doesn’t deserve Jinyoung’s never-ending kindness.

“This was basically your second home back then,” Jinyoung says sadly, eyes unfocused. “But I would understand if you felt more comfortable waiting at your parents’, though I can assure you that I won’t be taking that long to get ready. So it’s really your choice.”

Like yesterday, Jinyoung’s face is carefully neutral. He figures he should give Jinyoung some space, but he can’t help being greedy with Jinyoung’s presence.

“I can stay here and lounge around,” Mark answers after some thinking. “As long as you’re sure.”

Jinyoung then walks towards him and pulls him inside before closing the door.

“Positive.”

Too quickly, Jinyoung disappears into the hallway leading to his room, and Mark finds himself unable to keep still. Just like he always did back when he visited Jinyoung’s place, Mark takes his shoes off.

Weirdly, the first thing he thinks of is the absence of Jinyoung’s parents. Back then, they would always be present and treating him as if they were his own son, not unlike the way his mom hovers around him. He figures they’re either asleep or on vacation.

He wanders around the place, the surroundings feeling unfamiliar to him. Like what he caught a glimpse of yesterday, the only colors he can see here are monochromatic: some black, some white and the grays in between. There are no signs of Christmas decorations, not even a tiny, plastic pine tree. The whole place reminds him eerily of Jinyoung, meticulously organized, modestly minimalistic, and preferring muted colors over vibrant ones.

An open book is faced down on the black coffee table in the middle of the living room. The brown couches have now been replaced with an onyx gray one, simple and rectangular. Square tables are placed on both sides of the sofa, each having a small centerpiece of some sort. The tv they have now is bigger than before, and the homely clutter that used to plague the furnitures are now gone. A patterned black and gray carpet rests on the center of the floor, making the whole place look impossibly symmetrical.

There are photos lined up on the shelf above the fireplace, three of which are of Jinyoung. Mark surveys them one by one. The first is of Jinyoung as a child. Mark can recognize those eye whiskers anywhere. Photo Jinyoung is smiling at the camera, eyes disappearing into crinkles and ears protruding like wings on the side of his head. He’s eating a cup of ice cream, and the poor boy doesn’t even know that some of it was smeared all over his chin. It makes Mark’s heart warm with emotion.

The second is of the Jinyoung he’s most familiar with. Jinyoung is standing in his navy blue graduation gown, with the snowy background in the back. His hair covers his forehead, and Mark can’t help but reach out and pick up the frame. The boy’s genuine silliness is apparent by the way photo Jinyoung has both his hands up, fingers making peace signs as his mouth forms the signature duck lips. He remembers this Jinyoung most of all because it’s the last memory of Jinyoung he has since he left just the day after graduation. Mark’s heart feels heavy with regret, so he puts down the frame.

The third is of this new Jinyoung. He’s not smiling, but he’s not quite frowning either. He’s crossing his arms and is looking directly at the camera, and Mark can feel the sharp gaze from the photo. His hair is parted slightly to the right of center. Photo Jinyoung is wearing a black turtleneck under a pale blue sweater. Topped with a black coat in contrast with the white sky in the background, Jinyoung looks unfairly gorgeous. It makes Mark feel hot.

The other two are of Mr. and Mrs. Park, one of just them two and the other with Jinyoung in between them, arms around the shoulders of his parents.

He explores the kitchen this time, takes note of the minimal number of magnets on the refrigerator. There’s no dirty dish in sight, the stove clean and the counter by the sink sparkling. Mark doesn’t remember the place being so scrutinizingly tidy. He’s looking at the different types of mugs when Jinyoung comes back out, looking freshly showered and mouth watery.

Jinyoung is wearing an intricately designed white turtleneck sweater under a cream-colored coat that stretches down to his lower thigh. Mark throat is dry from such a powerful display of mature fashion and Jinyoung’s classic handsomeness. Good thing Mark left his baggy clothes back in college. He doesn’t think he’d deserve to be standing next to Jinyoung if he hadn’t tossed his abysmally fitted clothing years ago.

“Ready to go?” Mark asks, so as not to make the silence awkward.

“Yeah,” Jinyoung answers, though there’s a puzzled look in his face. “But first, where are we even going?”

Mark slaps his forehead. “Right, yes. I was wondering if you wanted to go holiday shopping? I wanted to buy my parents something for this Christmas.”

Jinyoung looks almost like he’s about to say no, and then Jinyoung is giving him a forlorn smile and replies in the softest voice. “Sounds great. Shall we?”

Mark nods.

It’s not snowing when they get outside, which is always a plus whenever one needs to travel.

Mark turns to Jinyoung.

“Do you want to drive to the mall or shall I?”

Jinyoung turns to him with a solemn expression, big eyes and slightly downturned lips.

“Actually, I was thinking we should take public transportation,” Jinyoung answers. “That’s how I’ve been getting around during snowy days. And it’ll be just like old times.”

Mark gives him a soft smile. Old times. Mark doesn’t know why that just made him feel incredibly warm, despite the weather being almost below water’s freezing point.

The bus stop looks the same, if a little worn out. The bench has sure seen some hard times, with graffiti and other marks staining it sporadically. But the comfort it brings while they wait is still there.

Jinyoung sits closely, their bodies touching from shoulder to their knees.

“So, how have you been, Jinyoung?” Mark asks, breath a puff of smoke. Small talk has never been his forte. Mark and Jinyoung had never needed it, had always been fine either sitting in comfortable silence or diving straight into the topic they wish to approach.

“Could be better,” the younger replies. “The holidays are always an awkward time for me. The cooler air has never been my friend, giving me dry eyes and dry skin for Christmas.”

Mark giggles. “Is that all?”

“Not even close. I could probably list 21 reasons why I think winter can be the worst, but where’s the fun in that?” Jinyoung answers, smirking. The smirk looks so unlike Jinyoung. “Let’s talk about you though. There must have been a reason why you’ve come back for the season after all these years.”

Mark laughs awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“My roommate has been actively trying to make my life a living hell,” Mark scoffs. “I needed to stay away for awhile to calm myself so I could think more clearly.”

“Think more clearly? About what?”

“If I’ve done the right thing,” Mark says tiredly. “My future. My life. Adult stuff.”

Jinyoung gives him a poignant look and a reassuring hand on the shoulder. “Well, I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

The touch makes Mark’s heart skip. He’s about to reply when Jinyoung beats him to it.

“Ah, bus is here.”

And sure enough, the bus leading to the mall is making its way down the damp road and towards the stop.

They take the back seats. They always do. And Mark wants to do the thing . He hasn’t done the thing since high school, unsure if it’s welcome after all these years. But Jinyoung is simply sitting still, chewing on his lips and doing nothing, as if telling Mark to just go ahead and do it .

So Mark does.

He leans closer to Jinyoung, eyes locked with the younger as he reaches for the seat belt across. The tips of Jinyoung’s ears are red, though Mark’s not quite sure if that’s from the cold or not. He hopes it’s the latter. This close, he can feel Jinyoung’s breath brushing his face. Mark buckles Jinyoung in, giving him a hesitant smile.

“Safety first,” he reasons as usual.

Jinyoung thanks him.

They reminisce about the old days. How, once they were old enough, Mark and Jinyoung always went to places using the bus. How easy childhood had been, with no worries and difficult decisions. (Mark had to disagree with this one, but refrained from saying so lest they snowball down a path Mark is not yet ready to enter)

With the conversation flowing quickly, it almost felt like no time had passed when they finally reached their destination. They thank the bus driver on the way out as they’re wont to do and hit up the stores in quick successions.

The first place they go to is a jewelry store, surely a trademark for the holidays. He’s not quite sure what his mom likes anymore. He eyes an elegant pearl necklace, but one look at the price has him labeling it as Plan C. Mark hopes he doesn’t need to go there as it will put a dent on his wallet. Another half an hour of looking around has him torn between a delicate-looking sterling silver bracelet and a pair of classic pearl earrings with a gold finish. He settles on the earrings and pays for it with a swipe of his card and a teasing look from Jinyoung.

They then visit a store that sells mostly formal attire for men. Mark doesn’t remember this being here. It looks modern and chic and stain free. Similar to his mom, Mark also doesn’t truly know what his dad fancies these days. He buys him leather shoes just to be safe, surely a common but a good gift for a father. At the same store, Jinyoung purchases a set of tie and socks combo, all patterned and slick and snazzy. For Mr. Park, Mark assumes.

Walking so much has Mark hungry and thirsty, so they stop by a café that they used to frequent back when they were teenagers. Jinyoung lets Mark order and pay, not without a tiny argument of course. Jinyoung reasons that since Mark is sort of visiting, it’s only right that Jinyoung treat him. Mark, however, feels that they shouldn’t break the tradition of Mark buying drinks for Jinyoung. They go back and forth, but Mark cracks Jinyoung in the end, and the younger boy busies himself by perusing the tiny selection of books the café sells.

Mark orders Jinyoung a Vanilla Latte and a scone while he gets an Iced Americano and a croissant for himself. Jinyoung buys a book, a sort of romance novel if the front cover of it is anything to go by.

“The Other Miss Bridgerton?” Mark asks, a flirty smile playing on his lips.

“Yeah, by one of New York Times Best Selling Author, Julia Quinn.” Jinyoung provides happily.

“I didn’t know you were into romance books,” Mark teases.

“I’m not,” Jinyoung shrugs, and Mark’s brows go up. If not for himself, then who is the book for? “Your mom is.”

“Oh. You got a Christmas present for my mom?”

“Yeah,” Jinyoung chuckles and takes a swig of his Vanilla Latte. “Your dad too, actually.”

Mark eyes the paper bag that Jinyoung has been carrying.

“You mean that socks and tie set is for my dad?”

“Mhm,” Jinyoung nods, eyes forming nice little crescents. “He has a collection of both.”

Mark didn’t know that. He slurps his drink, unsure whether to feel relieved that his parents are well looked after or attacked from the fact that Jinyoung knows Mark’s parents more than him. Count on Jinyoung to be perfect husband material, going out of his way to give meaningful gifts to someone else’s parents.

“That’s awfully nice of you to get my parents something,” Mark comments as he peels a piece off his croissant and pops it into his mouth. “Speaking of gifts to parents, what did you get for yours? And where are they? I actually haven’t seen Mr. and Mrs. Park at all.”

Mark chances a look at Jinyoung, only to find that there’s a mournful and melancholic expression on his face. Mark ed up. He knows it. But then Jinyoung glances at him pensively, eyes half lidded. “My parents passed away actually. About a year after you... after we graduated.”

Mark finds it incredibly difficult to gulp at the moment.

“I’m so sorry,” Mark says sincerely, before taking Jinyoung’s hand into his own. “I’m an for bringing them up.”

“No, it’s okay. I don’t think you knew,” Jinyoung sighs and gives him a smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes. “And don’t worry about it, nothing I haven’t cried over.”

They sit in silence for a couple of minutes, Mark still holding onto Jinyoung’s hands before the younger clears his throat.

“Uhm, can you uh,” Jinyoung looks pointedly at their fingers. “I kind of need them to eat and drink.”

Mark immediately lets go. “Right, my bad. I totally forgot I was even holding on.”

“Oh, Mark,” he says charmingly. “Still as daydream-y and distracted as ever.”

They finish quickly after that, with the last stop being for Jinyoung to buy boxes and wrapping paper. Jinyoung then suggests that Mark can use them to wrap his gifts as well, seeing as the roll of wrapper and set of boxes are simply too much for Jinyoung’s two small gifts, Mark. I insist .

Mark agrees as it’s another excuse to visit his childhood best friend and keep him company. He surely needs it after being alone in that house for so long. Now he knows why his mom talked about Jinyoung experiencing too much for a young man and bugged him to invite Jinyoung out.

They take the bus back, topics of their current lives this time rather than their past. Mark shares the fact that he has finished his undergraduate degree in Math and has also finished Law School. Jinyoung had gasped oh my god, you’re a lawyer now? To which Mark replied not really, since nobody has hired him due to his poor interview skills. Meanwhile, Jinyoung adds that while Mark was off practicing to be a lawyer, he too had finished college with a Literature degree and is now teaching at a grade school nearby, the same one where Mark and Jinyoung first met.

When Mark and Jinyoung get off their stop, they stand awkwardly in front of each other, waiting for the other to leave not unlike the way teenage couples would stay up on the phone repeating no, you hang up first over and over and over again.

“Well, if we’re gonna wrap presents one of these days, I think it only fits that I get your number,” Mark smirks, his phone held out to Jinyoung.

Jinyoung rolls his eyes. “Smooth.”

But then he’s grabbing Mark’s phone and typing in his number, saving it as Peach Prince Jinyoung along with the crown and peach emoji.

“Sweet,” Mark says. “Now this way, you won’t complain about me not contacting you before showing up at your door.”

Jinyoung laughs, the one that isolates each and every ‘ha’ in it. Jinyoung is covering his teeth, a habit that he still hasn’t grown out of, it seems. And a handful of joyful memories suddenly flash in front of Mark’s mind, making him emotional. Why did Mark ever think that leaving this wonderful boy with that wonderful smile was a good idea?

“Touché.”

Mark and Jinyoung bid their goodbyes, the younger walking backwards as they do so. And then Jinyoung spins around so he can see where he’s going. Even the way he spins is cute. After taking several steps, Jinyoung looks back over his shoulder, and Mark waves once more.

Someone once told Mark that if they look back, that means they like you. Mark wonders if that’s true or just superstition.

When he gets home, his mom is already back, sitting at the table and tapping away at her laptop.

“How was your day, sweetie?” She asks, eyes not leaving the screen.

“Excellent, actually.”

“Fantastic, dear,” She says with mild surprise, and then takes off her glasses and looks at Mark. “What did you do today?”

“I hung out with Jinyoung,” he shrugs. “Took your advice and took him out holiday shopping.”

His mom coos and points at the shopping bags Mark is carrying. “Any of those for me?”

“Nope!” He lies and bounds up the stairs in twos and hides the gifts in his closet.

Later that night, he texts Jinyoung.

To: Peach Prince Jinyoung
I had a lot of fun today ahahaha

To: unknown
Mark?

To: Peach Prince Jinyoung
The one and only!!! Ahaha

To: Actual Prince Mark
Today was the most fun I had in a while. Thank you for taking me out of the house.
Anyway, you should sleep soon so you have energy to hang out tomorrow or something.

To: Peach Prince Jinyoung
Lol, you’re right.. Ahahaha
Goodnight

To: Actual Prince Mark
Good night :)

Despite the chill of winter threatening to freeze Mark’s windows, Mark sleeps warmly that night.