2 - Little lights and big hearts pt. 1

The Wind and the Rein
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

December 1995

Christmas in Osaka was the most beautiful. For one, Osaka is really famous for having the best lights display in all of – well, actually just all of Japan – during Christmas time. But it was a personal favourite of a certain pair of newlyweds.

They were high school sweethearts. Were. As in past tense, because after their wedding just weeks ago, the couple is, now and forever, officially called the Minatozakis.

“Quite a name to live with forever..” the young bride said softly staring at the beautiful lights adorning the trees of the park they were walking in.

“Just so you know, wife… the wedding’s over. The papers have been signed. So the name you got? No more take backs.” The man holding her hand said nonchalantly in reply.

“Just so you know, husband… annulments happen all the time, I can get my name back with just another sign on a piece of paper.” Copying her husband’s tone with a smirk securely plastered on her face.

“Undeniably true, your honour.” Riding along his wife’s antics.

But not without giving the best rebuttal he could think of. “The real question though is, why would you give back such a beautiful name? Mrs. Minatozaki. It has a beautiful ring to it.”

One of the many things she loved about the man she married was his confidence. He wasn’t arrogant. No, he was far from that. He was just—He was sure. All the damn time; of what he wants, of her, of them.

“You really love your name the most in the world don’t you?” finally giving up and earning a chuckle from her now giddy husband.

“Yes, but not the most. It comes second, only to you.” He said softly as he stopped to face her.

Stopping in her tracks too, she makes sure to take in this moment. Nakanoshima Park, December 1995. Lights Illumination has always been the center of attention for tourists coming to visit Osaka in the winter. But for the new Mrs. Minatozaki, it wasn’t just the beauty of this place that will forever be etched in her memory. It’s the moment she realized this is the start of a new chapter of her life, of their lives rather. This was it. Ten years of being around each other, growing up together, going to school together, creating dreams together, falling in love and finally marrying each other. It has finally come to this, him and her and the park where they first met and played together ten years ago. She knew at that moment, her life would never be the same again.

Surrounded by the beautiful Osaka lights and the cool December breeze, she looks deeply into the eyes of the man she has chosen as her partner for life. Bringing her hands up to cup his cheeks, she inches closer and whispers audibly only for her husband to hear.

“Then, by all means, husband. Call me by your name.”

“Forever.” He whispers back, as he leans their foreheads together. Eventually bringing his wife’s arms up around his neck just before his own arms encircle the beautiful lady in a warm hug.

A few months into the marriage, an envelope came. It was news that they have been waiting for even before the wedding. News that could tell the newly married couple what next step to take in this new chapter of their life.

There were two big and thick manila envelopes stacked in their mailbox, screaming to be opened.

“W-wait,” the woman said, her husband hinting a little fear in his wife’s voice.

“We need to face it sooner or later. Come on, let’s do it together.” He said as he took the envelopes in his hands and they entered their new home.

“This house really is too big for us.” She says matter-of-factly, obviously still adjusting to the new environment.

“Well, I told you I want eight grandkids. So honestly, this house? Not even going to be enough to fit us all.” An elegant lady in her early 50’s said as she sat on the couch watching her favourite Audrey Hepburn film with wine in hand.

“Mother, you dream too big for this family.” The woman said as she walks towards the couch to kiss her mother-in-law hello.

“I don’t completely disagree with that idea.” The man said following his wife and greeting his mother.

“Which idea?” his wife questioned, to which the husband only replied with a salute and wink, earning a smack on the shoulder from his other half.

“I see the mail came in today.” The oldest in the room said without even looking at the couple.

“Uh, have you suddenly grown eyes behind your head? How did you know?” her son asked.

“Goof, I checked the mailbox before I came here. And I saw. And I really wanted to take a peak. But I figured, I wanted to hear your collective screams when you both open them. Now can you just open them and get it over with? I can’t breathe with those thick unopened envelopes just lying around in this living room.” The colourful language is owed to the old lady’s thirty plus years in the film industry.

“Mom…” silently called out the son as held the envelope in one hand and his wife in the other.

“I’ll uhh... I’ll open it now” with a certain tone in his voice that prompted the old lady to stop her film-viewing to come to her son’s aid.

They’ve done this quite a lot over the years, the elegant actress and her son, and the then girlfriend and now wife too. The three of them huddled together in a semi-circle in front of life-changing news inside manila envelopes.

It has been kind of their thing ever since they can remember. First were applications to the varsity track team in middle school, then came the scholarships to the prestigious Shimizudani High School, some important hospital diagnostic results just after graduating high school, the drivers license scare of 1986, the Osaka University undergraduate applications, eventually the Osaka University School of Law applications, and now this, the final manila envelope to top all the past manila envelopes that the team of three had overcome.

“You ready, champs?” the mother, as always, made sure to position herself between the couple just so she can offer both her arms for support.

“Can I say something?” raising her hand knowing this is the first time she’s spoken since they huddled together to face the envelopes.

Knowing full well her place in the family has changed from just the girlfriend and outsider to the now wife and daughter in law. She felt like she needed to affirm this new family that she truly is here with them, now and forever.

“What?” The mother and son replied in unison, earning a giggle from the former outsider of the Minatozaki family.

“I love you.” She said very briefly and as nonchalantly as possible. As if her heart isn’t threatening to beat out of her chest.

“Both of you. Very much.” She continued as the other two just looked at her in wonder.

“I know. *giggles* Sorry. I just really wanted to say it before we do this. It changes after this. You know. *giggles* Everything. And I really just wanted you, the man that I love *giggles* and you, *giggles* the beautiful woman who raised the said man, to know.”

She was blabbering and tripping on her words and laughing her signature high-pitched laugh, but the two remained silent. Dazed. It was as if both were under her spell.

“What I’m trying to say is... everything will change after we conquer this envelope. The envelope. Whatever marks we got from the bar exam will change our lives forever. But just as everything will change, one thing won’t. And that is the fact that—“

“I love you.” the mother and son replied in unison, earning yet another giggle from the newest addition to the Minatozaki family. And just like that, the man had all the confidence he needed to conquer the item in his hands.

“I’ll go first then...” still feeling like his heart might beat out of his chest right then and there. Snip! he caught the chunk of papers as he emptied the envelope. And then by accident, clumsily he caught a glimpse of the words he has worked all these years to read. All capital letters

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter