1 - The bean curd baby

The Wind and the Rein
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Kim's were the epitome of perfection embodied in a family. The head of the family, Mr. Kim works at the Office of Foreign Affairs. Contrary to popular belief, his greatest achievement in life wasn't his current position in the South Korean government. It was his happy and fulfilling marriage to his high school sweetheart and greatest love. 

Mrs. Kim, although a licensed physician and renowned cardiothoracic surgeon in the country, was an ever-present wife and dependable mother to the Kim family. Their first-born son Myungsoo was three when Dahyun came in the picture. Dahyun was, to put it simply, unplanned.

The Kim's initially wanted to have another child only when Myungsoo was old enough to help in caring for a newborn because they wanted the young boy to understand the importance of being present in a child's life. But one thing led to another and just three years after Myungsoo was born, they were gifted again with a fluffy baby girl. At first, the Kim's were unsure if Myungsoo will be okay with a newcomer. But much to the loving parents' surprise, Dahyun became Myungsoo's favourite human ever since her birth on the 28th of May 1998. 

It wasn't until the second day of Dahyun's birth that the young boy was granted the chance to meet his sister.

Busy finishing his chocolate milk drink held by his right hand while his left hand had a pink balloon tied onto it, the little boy walked around the hospital room where his mom and new sister were waiting to be discharged. Stopping at the foot of the bed at first and silently watching his parents talk fondly to each other with a baby resting on his mother's arms. 

"There's our favourite oppa!" his dad picked him up and enveloped him in a hug. Myungsoo only looked at his father with confused eyes which did not go unnoticed. 

"O-oppa?" the kid asked furrowing his brows and tilting his head. 

"Yes, my boy. Oppa is what we call the big boys." Myungsoo's eyes went from a straight line to little o's with a nose in between. 

"b-big boy?" the little boy looked at his small body then back to his dad who was still holding him in a hug. 

"yes, big boy. Oppa is someone who will take good care of their baby sisters. See? that's your sister." Mr. Kim explained slowly and lovingly so the kid would understand while pointing at the baby in his wife's arms. The boy quickly hugged and hid his face into his dad's neck. 

"Are you going to take care of your sister?" the boy nods quickly. 

"Are you going to protect her well?" the boy nods again now with a matching shy smile as he hid his face again.  

"Dubu dubu dubu" muffled sounds vibrated across Mr. Kim's neck. 

"What was that, love?" Mrs. Kim asked softly to her son while nursing her newborn.

The young boy moved to face his mom and whispered excitedly while pinching his own cheeks "dubu, Mama! dubu dubu dubu!"

"I think he is saying tofu, honey" patting the boy's head who was now seated on his lap. The little boy turned to face his dad, now gesturing with his index finger for his father to come closer to him. 

Waving his index finger in front of his dad's face, he whispered again affirming what his dad just said "Papa, baby looks like dubu" then quickly hugs his dad again and shyly hides his face letting out soft giggles. 

"Honey, oh my god she does look like a whole block of tofu in my arms" Mama Kim is amazed at her son's observation.

 

--

 

Dahyun grew up with the most protective family. Her father, although a highly respected figure in the country, morphs into the softest smitten kid trapped in a grown man's body when he goes home to be with his kids and wife. Her mother was the most feared consultant and training officer at Seoul Medical Center, but once she steps out of the hospital walls and goes home to her family, her stern and cold facade disappears and are replaced by nothing but warmth and affection. Myungsoo was the combination of both parents. Dahyun must be protected at all costs. Dahyun must not cry. Dahyun must know she is loved. When the time came for Dahyun to finally attend school, Myungsoo was more nervous than their parents. 

"Mama, are you sure Dahyun's ready for this? I mean isn't she a bit young for this?" 

"Myung, you were this young once and you had to go to 1st grade alone too. Let your sister experience a day with kids her own age for a change."  his mom said while holding a laugh because a 10-year old kid is really out here convincing her that her 7-year old daughter isn't ready to face her first social interaction in 1st grade. 

"still, Mom. She won't have me. What if the kids make fun of her because of her skin?" only seriousness on the concerned boy's face. 

"you make it sound like she has a disease or something."

"It's a tough world out there these days, Mom." 

"Oh please, Kim Myungsoo. you are the only person in the world who makes fun of your sister's skin." 

"It's called appreciation, Mother."

"you call her a block of soybean curd. a bean curd baby. that's appreciation for you?" Mama Kim lightly smacks the first-born in the head with a notepad. 

"dubu, Mama! dubu dubu dubu!" he replies with all the aegyo he can muster. Earning only a small laugh and shaking of the head from the older Kim. 

"Here's your lunch. and just so you know Kim Myungsoo, the cuteness expired 7 years ago." the son was about to protest but was stopped by the loud honks heard from the bus coming to pick him up for school. 

"Oh! Mama, don't forget Dubu wants the chocolate milk. She didn't touch the banana milk you left for her to drink yesterday." 

"Okay, baby. Take care and text me what time you're coming home later- YA KIM MYUNGSOO I'M STILL TALKING-" 

"yes but I have after school club! Bye, i love youuuuu!" he yells back smiling as he hops on the bus to school waving to his mom and hoping her sister survives her first day in primary school. 

 

---

 

Mama Kim didn't accept surgeries that day so she could see off Dahyun on her first day of school. 

"I didn't forget the chocolate milk this time." tugging her daughter's hand as they reached the door to the girl's home room. 

"I knew you wouldn't, Mama!" the little girl was visibly trying to brave a smile on her face. As if convincing herself that she currently wasn't about to  crap her pants out of terror. 

"come here, youuu" the mother knelt before her daughter and enveloped her in a warm hug.

"You will do so great today. And you will meet new friends. Are you excited?" she sees her daughter's face brighten at the mention of new friends. 

"Yes, Mama! ...but, will- will you really leave me?" the little girl asked, now pouting.

"I'll be back before you even notice I was gone, sweetie. You'll have fun, I promise." patting the little one's head. 

"What if I can't open my chocolate drink with the straw again just like yesterday when we were practicing the school meal time moves?" the mother tries to hold her laugh. They called it the school meal time moves; successfully inserting the straw on her cool chocolate drink, opening a packet of ketchup for her egg rolls, and lastly, sharing her bread with a new friend. 

"Your teacher will help you. Or maybe a friend will." the mother reassured. 

"but Mama, what if no one helps me?" 

"Sweetie, what did I teach you?" she asked as she was cupping her daughter's cheeks with both her hands. 

"I'm strong. I can do it. If I can't do it..... then- maybe I'm not stron- oooow Mama, my cheeks. nooo!" the little girl squeals and giggles as her mother squishes her fluffly cheeks playfully because of her mischievous answer. 

"Dahyun-ah, say it right. come on. let me hear the Kim wisdom." making the little girl look her in the eye to signal that she wanted the right answer this time. 

The little girl nods and inhales deeply and as if reciting the Preamble with certainty and firmness she says the wise words as she exhales "I'm strong. I can do it. If I can't do it, then all I have to do is ask for help. because no matter what happens, help will always come." ending the statement with her commercial-worthy smile earning a light giggle from the proud mother. 

 

----

 

Dahyun was the life of the Kim household. She would sing and dance for her parents everyday when they get home from work. To help Mama and Papa relax. Dahyun would always say as she dances to the music that Myungsoo plays.

One of the most iconic Kim siblings stage for their parents was when Myungsoo (being a diehard BOICE) blasted Loner on speakers, and Dahyun happily jumped and danced to the beat. Myungsoo was in charge of singing and rapping everything as he knows the song by heart. But a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter