FOUR

Firefly

 

Miyawaki Sakura fiddled with the hem of her dress. She didn’t know what to do with her hands as she waited for Lee Chaeyeon.

 

Finally, it was the day. It was their first official date as an official couple.

 

Going back and forth between their individual schedules, they finally found a day they both had off. Like firefly wings, their excitement buzzed in their hearts as they discussed what they would do. They had even agreed to leave from the different dorms to increase the excitement of seeing each other. Of course, the other group members had no idea what was happening, but they chimed in on what each individual should wear so that also added to the thrill of the date.

 

Not knowing what Chaeyeon would be wearing, Sakura had chosen her classic choice of a simple pastel pink one piece with laced detail, matched with a white cardigan and bag. She wondered what Chaeyeon would be wearing.

 

Sakura didn’t have to wait too long for her answer because Chaeyeon soon appeared down the street. With her blue hued sunglasses, she waved as soon as she saw Sakura. With her blue jeans and white crop top, matched with a quarter length black blazer, Chaeyeon looked suave.  Sakura couldn’t believe she was so lucky.

 

With a grin, Chaeyeon lightly jogged until she was in front of her girlfriend. She always thought Sakura was pretty, but especially that day. Pink really did suit her.

 

“Did I make you wait long?”

 

Sakura shook her head, humming a disagreement.

 

“That’s good. Should we go?”

 

Sakura nodded, for some reason feeling particularly bashful. On the other hand, Chaeyeon seemed cool as a cucumber as she offered her arm. Blushing, Sakura linked her arm around Chaeyeon’s and they made their way to the café.

 

Inside, they quickly ordered their drinks.

 

As the couple waiting, Chaeyeon said, “You really are beautiful Sakura.”

 

Once more, Sakura blushed.

 

“You too.” Sakura returned.

 

Chaeyeon laughed, shaking her head. “Not compared to you.”

 

Sakura hated it when Chaeyeon would disregard comments about her looks. She knew Chaeyeon always had a complex about her appearance, especially when compared to the more feminine group members. However, Chaeyeon had more charm in her pinky finger than Sakura’s entire being. Sakura just wished Chaeyeon would appreciate her own charisma and allure. She definitely appreciated it.

 

“Chaeyeon.” Sakura said, her lips subconsciously pouting.

 

Hearing her stern voice, Chaeyeon glanced at the Japanese girl. She braced herself for what was coming. Chaeyeon knew she shouldn’t compare herself to others, especially when it came to her face. However, when other people commented on her, it was hard to ignore it.

 

“You are so cool and so pretty.” Sakura stated, making sure to emphasise it.

 

Seeing Sakura’s determined expression made Chaeyeon giggle. She lightly patted the top of Sakura’s head affectionately.

 

“Okay, I got it. Thank you, Sakura.”

 

Being treated so sweetly was not something Sakura was used to and it made her chest hurt.

 

“Miyawaki Chaeyeon?” suddenly called out the barista.

 

Chaeyeon immediately went to the counter, as Sakura stared, flabbergasted. Sakura lightly smacked Chaeyeon’s arm as she returned, though they both smiling in amusement.  

 

“What was that about?” Sakura asked as they left the café. “Do you like my name that much?”

 

“Of course, I do. It’s your name.”

 

“Then when we get married, will you take my name?”

 

“Of course! I love the sound of it.”

 

“Then I’ll be Lee Sakura.”

 

“Lee Kura?”

 

 They laughed at the Japanese joke. However, when the topic of marriage truly sunk in, they simultaneously felt their face heat up. Just the thought of them being married made their hearts glow. Chaeyeon was especially flustered. Sakura said ‘when’, rather than ‘if’. As if they would inevitably be together forever. Sakura’s unconscious reassurance gave Chaeyeon the confidence she needed for the relationship.

 

To be honest, Chaeyeon was nervous about labelling them as girlfriends. They both knew that eventually IZ*ONE would come to an end. They both knew that they would eventually have to return to their respective companies. However, even though they both knew the facts didn’t mean they could also deny the fact that they cared for each much deeper than as best friends. If Sakura was brave enough to enter the new territory, then Chaeyeon would for sure do the same because not utilising the time they had together and constantly denying their feelings would have been more heart-breaking than saying goodbye.

 

At the Namsan tower, Chaeyeon and Sakura queued. It was a busy day but the time went quick for the couple. They talked about the comics they’d read, shows they were obsessed with and general chit chat. Soon, they were about to enter the tram. The employees checked their tickets and soon they were among the mass in the tram.

 

“This is exciting.” Sakura giddily said.

 

“It is! I haven’t been to the tower since I was in elementary school.”

 

Chaeyeon smiled as Sakura’s eyes widened, which was always a surprise since they were so big already, as she looked at the views of Seoul. When the tram reached the top, it jolted. As the tram swung, Sakura almost lost her footing. However, a secure arm wrapped around her slim shoulders. Chaeyeon pressed Sakura into her body, supporting her. Sakura blushed. It definitely wasn’t just the people that was making her face hot.

 

As they got off, Chaeyeon held Sakura’s hand. Sakura wondered if Chaeyeon realised what she was doing. They’ve held hands plenty of times but for some reason it was different. Sakura was overly conscious of if her hand might become sweaty or how nice it was it have their fingers intertwined. She felt like she could jump with all tingling excitement and she wanted to shout from the tops of the tower so loudly that every person in Seoul could hear just how lucky Sakura was to have a date with Chaeyeon.

 

The two looked around, taking photos of each other and together. They were astounded with the number of locks. They were even more astonished with the number of couples dotted around the tourist attraction. It made them self-conscious.

 

Suddenly, Chaeyeon suddenly took something from her purse. Sakura gasped with excitement when she saw the item in Chaeyeon’s hand.

 

“I was jealous of Chaewon and Hitomi. I wanted to do this.” Chaeyeon said, brandishing the couple lock in her hand.

 

With the marker pens, they wrote ‘S’ and ‘C’ on the heart shaped lock. It was silly and immature, but they pushed the lock together and smiled with their accomplished task. Sakura took a photo of the heart and was sure to use it as her phone wallpaper. Chaeyeon did the same and she was going to use it as her phone background. They would have never guessed that they would have a couple lock, as well as sharing a couple phone photo.

 

At last, at the top of the tower, they looked through the glass at the night lights below. It reminded of Chaeyeon of that night in the hot springs, how the fireflies glowed around them. It was then that the love in her heart truly lit up.

 

“I’ve had a wonderful day.” Sakura quietly said, as if her voice would break the atmosphere.

 

“Me too.” Chaeyeon softly replied.

 

They looked at each other, then glanced around. No one was looking at them. Then, they could only see each other and swiftly, their lips met. Even though it was light, they beamed at each other. There was more to come.

 

When they returned to the dorm, the couple entered and called out their entrance. However, their calls were met with silence.

 

“Where is everyone?” Chaeyeon said.

 

“Ah!” Sakura suddenly remembered.

 

The others had their own schedules, with groups going to lessons or variety shows. It was only Chaeyeon and Sakura that had a free day. Therefore, for the first time since moving in, the two were alone.

 

“It’s strange.” Sakura said, only having experienced the quietness one time when the others left to give out their bentos and she stayed behind.

 

“Should we make dinner for the others, for when they come back?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Sakura tied the apron around herself and tied up her mid-length hair, revealing her ears. Chaeyeon thought she looked absolutely adorable. She definitely wouldn’t mind coming home to a wife like Sakura. Again, Chaeyeon blushed at the thought of married life with Sakura. If only that could happen. Although, the image before her would suffice.

 

“Let me tie it for you.” Sakura said as she looped her arms around Chaeyeon’s waist and tied the apron ribbons.

 

Chaeyeon could definitely get used to this.

 

Together they prepared fried rice and stir-fried chicken, helping themselves to a portion too. The two collapsed onto the sofa, satisfied.

 

“I’m tired.” Sakura sighed.

 

“Me too.”

 

“Good job.” Sakura praised.

 

“You too.” Chaeyeon returned, grinning.

 

Looking at Sakura, Chaeyeon noticed Sakura’s slightly messy hair. As a reflex, her hand reached forward and tidied her loose fringe. Sakura closed her eyes, losing herself in Chaeyeon’s caring touch. Chaeyeon was also becoming absorbed as she watched Sakura close her eyes. Unable to resist, she cupped Sakura’s cheek, the soft skin warm under her palm. Like a cat, Sakura leaned into the gentle hand. When Sakura’s eyes fluttered open and met Chaeyeon’s, she felt her heart skip. The hungry gaze was unfamiliar and it made Chaeyeon’s heart pound.

 

Sakura’s breath felt short when she felt Chaeyeon’s hand wrap around the back of her neck. Her heart pounded in anticipation as Chaeyeon leaned in.

 

They kissed. Softly, tasted the remnants of the chocolate they had as dessert. It was sweet.

 

The kiss deepened. They both moaned as their tongues touched, the new sensation causing electricity to run within their bodies. Before they knew it, Chaeyeon was pressed on top of Sakura. Sakura’s hands were grabbing Chaeyeon’s back, pushing her down until all gaps were closed. She wanted to be as close to the other woman as humanly possible. Chaeyeon’s hands were roaming the slim woman’s body, sending shivers through Sakura’s body. They gasped as the desire burned around them.

 

All of a sudden, the front door clicked.

 

Hitomi and Nako were loudly discussing their Korean lesson as they entered the dorm. When they entered the living room, the two notice the other members.

 

Chaeyeon and Sakura sat on the sofa, on opposite ends, casually going through their phones.

 

“We’re home.” the Japanese girls cheerfully greeted.

 

“Welcome back.” Chaeyeon and Sakura chorused.

 

“Wow! You guys made dinner for us?” Nako said.

 

“Help yourself.” Chaeyeon said.

 

“Thank you!” excitedly said Hitomi.

 

The girls went to the kitchen, getting their bowls and chopsticks. As the younger two were distracted, Chaeyeon and Sakura carefully went towards their bedrooms. Outside their separate rooms, they timidly looked at each other.

 

“I really had a great time.” Chaeyeon said.

 

“So did I.” Sakura returned.

 

“Well, good night.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Even though they bid each other good night, the two still stood at the doors, waiting for the other to move. They didn’t want the day to end because they knew once they got up in the morning, they would just be IZ*ONE members again, and not girlfriends.

 

Suddenly, Chaeyeon dove in and embraced Sakura. Instinctively, fitting against Chaeyeon perfectly, Sakura wrapped her arms around the warm body. She closed her eyes, taking in as much of Chaeyeon as she could before she had to force herself to retreat into bed.

 

Just as sudden as Chaeyeon hugged Sakura, she let her go. She quickly backed off and opened her bedroom door. With a bashful smile, she went into her room. However, just before Chaeyeon closed her door, Sakura called out to her.

 

“Chaeyeon.”

 

She loved the way Sakura said her name. Sakura loved the way formed Chaeyeon’s name. However, when Sakura saw Chaeyeon’s inquisitive gaze, she stopped. The words she wanted to say to Chaeyeon would wait for another time. When they were both more emtionally ready to hear and comprehend those words. 

 

Instead, Sakura said, “Sweet dreams.”

 

Chaeyeon grinned, grateful she fell for such a wonderful person.

 

“You too.”

 

With that, it was a successful date. However, with still unrestful hearts and minds, they wouldn’t be getting the long sleep they wanted.

 


 

A/N:

Happy belated Birthday to Miyawaki Sakura! Hope everyone is getting on okay and staying healthy :D 

Enjoy the chapter!