THREE

Firefly

It had been a week since the IZ*ONE members had finished their promotions. A week where they’ve been resting and preparing for their next comeback. A week since Chaeyeon had kissed Sakura.

 

Chaeyeon sighed and she lied on her bed. That night was so sweet and innocent. Although the kiss was barely more than a peck, Chaeyeon felt like she could squeal each time at just the memory. Since then, Chaeyeon had been wanting to kiss Sakura. And not so innocently.

 

It seemed that Chaeyeon had begun to look at Sakura a completely new way. No longer was Sakura just Chaeyeon’s best friend. Sakura had become an object of lust, much to Chaeyeon’s guilt. However, when Chaeyeon closed her eyes to sleep, the mirage of Sakura coming out of the bathroom in just her towel would appear behind her closed eyelids. Even though it was an innocent act, where Sakura had forgotten her contact lens case, Chaeyeon didn’t think it was so guiltless. It was as if she was being teased. And Chaeyeon’s patience was running thin.

 

Little did Chaeyeon know, Sakura was feeling exactly the same way.

 

Every time they had a moment alone together, it was slightly awkward, both not knowing how to begin a conversation. It was unlike both of them. The two would normally go back and forth, with a mix of Korean and Japanese, speaking meaningfully or nonsensically. However, they enjoyed their conversations and once they started to talk, it was like everything was back to normal. Then, when Sakura thought she would be able to bring up the topic of their relationship, someone would come into the room, interrupting the flow. No longer would there be time for them to talk. No longer was it the same.

 

Sakura had been agonising over what her relationship with Chaeyeon had turned into, if it had changed at all. It definitely was not the same since they had kissed.

 

Since the kiss, Sakura thought they may be a couple. However, other than the moments of awkwardness, Chaeyeon didn’t act any different. Although, Chaeyeon had always been caring and attentive so it was hard to tell if she actually had any romantic feelings for Sakura. That night might have been a spur of the moment, amped by the high emotions of loneliness and longing. They hadn’t actually explicitly said they liked each other and Sakura felt wrong for assuming they were now an item. However, that kiss had definitely sparked something in Sakura. Every time Chaeyeon touched her, it was like electricity. Sakura was hyper aware of Chaeyeon’s presence. She would find herself watching Chaeyeon for longer than usual. Then, Sakura would catch herself. However, it would happen again as if her eyes were magnets and Chaeyeon’s body was iron. Sakura would especially feel this when they were in the practice room. When Chaeyeon danced her hardest, flashing her abs of steel, Sakura would catch her reflection and see her cheeks and ears flushed with a deep red. Sakura didn’t like this middle, where she didn’t know if she should be grounded or floating.

 

When Sakura attempted to make a move, someone would interrupt. All she desired was to talk to Chaeyeon about her feelings and finally establish what they were. She didn’t know when that chance would come, but Sakura was determined to make it happen.

 

Sweat dripped from every pore on Chaeyeon’s body. Once again, she had stayed late in the practice room alone to perfect another dance cover. It helped that the repetition took her mind off her current predicament with Sakura.

 

As if her mind summoned her, Sakura appeared at the door. Chaeyeon paused, looking at her reflection, before instantly turning around. Sakura timidly smiled and waved.

 

“Is this a good time?”

 

Chaeyeon glanced at the clock and couldn’t believe it was already 10pm.

 

“I brought food.” Sakura said, showing the small paper bag of goodies.

 

Just in time, Chaeyeon’s stomach rumbled. They both giggled. Chaeyeon smiled and made her way to the side, to grab her towel and water. Sakura set up a small table and chairs. She glanced towards Chaeyeon just in time to catch the sight of sweat trailing down Chaeyeon’s chiselled chin. Sakura swallowed her desire and forced herself to look away. Chaeyeon soon joined Sakura at the table and grinned at the feast. With a table full of Chinese food, Chaeyeon didn’t know where to begin.

 

“Thank you for this Saku-chan.”

 

Sakura smiled at the sound of Chaeyeon’s nickname for her.

 

“You practice so hard. It’s the least I can do.”

 

Swallowing a mouthful of food, Chaeyeon replied. “You also work hard Sakura.”

 

“Not as much as you. You’re the hardest worker I know.”

 

Chaeyeon couldn’t help but become bashful at Sakura’s compliment. Sakura had never been shy with her praise of Chaeyeon, but she was always embarrassed when Sakura said anything. Chaeyeon was so used to criticisms that she didn’t know how to react when she was complimented. She especially didn’t know what to do when it came from Sakura.

 

The two silently ate. Normally, when the two were silent, it was comfortable. However, they were both tense. Again, they didn’t know how to talk.

 

Yet, Sakura was determined.

 

“Chaeyeon.”

 

Chaeyeon looked at Sakura. She was unnerved at the wide, glistening eyes, that always created butterflies in her stomach.

 

“I want to talk.”

 

Feeling a ball of nerves in , Chaeyeon swallowed. However, the anxiety just moved to her chest.

 

“What about?” Chaeyeon asked.

 

“Us.” Sakura simply said.

 

Thankfully at the moment, Chaeyeon wasn’t eating or drinking because she would have choked.

 

“Since that night we….” Sakura trailed off but Chaeyeon knew what night she was talking about. “Ever since then, I haven’t stopped thinking about you, about us, about what we are.” Sakura continued. “It’s been really hard and confusing. I’m not sure what to do or think. I just know that I wanted this chance to clarify our relationship. What do you think?”

 

Sakura looked at Chaeyeon but couldn’t decipher what her expression meant. She really hoped with her entire heart that what she was feeling wasn’t one-sided. It would destroy her otherwise.  

 

“I’m the same.” Chaeyeon finally said. “I’ve been lost. I haven’t known what to do. But… I don’t want our relationship to change.”

 

Sakura’s heart broke. She knew she shouldn’t have gotten her hopes up, and not expected any results from their discussion, but Sakura wanted to be with her. She finally realised it wasn’t just as a friend. Sakura really did like Chaeyeon. However, Chaeyeon did not feel the same.

 

However, seeing Sakura’s sudden downcast expression, Chaeyeon quickly grabbed Sakura’s hands. Chaeyeon saw the glistening pupils and immediately felt guilty. She didn’t want to be the cause of Sakura’s tears. Never.

 

“I didn’t want it to change.” Chaeyeon corrected. “But we had become so awkward I didn’t know what to do. I thought you didn’t like me that way I liked you and wanted to make sure you weren’t uncomfortable because of me. But I should have been honest. I should have told you, after the kiss, that I do like you. I like you so much Sakura that I don’t know what to do sometimes when I’m around you.”

 

Chaeyeon continued to dish out how Sakura made her feel but Sakura had stopped listening since Chaeyeon said the words, ‘I like you’. Her heart that she thought was broken quickly went back into one and grew ten times the size. It felt like Sakura’s heart was completely filling the entire capacity of her chest. That was how hard her heart was thumping in her chest. She watched Chaeyeon’s lips move. She was still talking. However, all Sakura thought as she looked at them was how soft they were.

 

“And I want us to hold hands and date and-”

 

Chaeyeon was cut off. However, she didn’t mind at all. Her mind went blank anyway. All she could think of was the feelings of Sakura’s lips pressed again her own. The scent of cherry blossoms overwhelmed her and she closed her eyes and she sunk into the kiss.

 

As their lips melded into each other, their feelings poured out, and before they knew it, so did their passion. The hands that were in each other, were elsewhere. Chaeyeon’s right hand cupped Sakura’s warm each, her thumb the soft skin and her left hand squeezed Sakura’s thigh. Sakura’s right hand held onto Chaeyeon’s neck and her left grasped her clothed waist, holding onto the reality that they were indeed kissing.

 

Suddenly, a crash from outside makes their eyes snap open up. Chaeyeon and Sakura broke apart. Sitting across from each other they could see both their beet red cheeks. All of a sudden, Chaeyeon burst into giggles, and Sakura followed suit.

 

“I like you Sakura.” Chaeyeon said with a grin.

 

“I like you too Chaeyeon.” Sakura replied wholeheartedly.

 

With the taste of each other’s lip balms on their tongue, Chaeyeon and Sakura’s relationship developed into a new and exciting stage.

 


 

A/N: 

I love that IZ*ONE has finally come back and my WIZ*ONE fangirl heart is satisfied.

No matter how they were created, I'm going to support them while they are a group together. When I visited Seoul, I actually got to see their Fiesta display in a Lotte shopping plaza and it was like I was dreaming! 

P.S. Ayayaya literally is my soul song at the moment - Nako's high note and Chaeyeon's dance break, and Sakura's lines... fangirl down