TWO

Firefly

 

It was 01:12 and Lee Chaeyeon was awake. She was sprawled across the living room sofa, watching late night television on mute. She just couldn’t sleep.

 

It had been only two nights since Sakura and Nako had gone back to Japan for the HKT48 anniversary concert. Even though she had been busy, Chaeyeon felt like the dorms had been unbelievably quiet. She especially felt the space that Sakura left behind, on her neatly made bed. Even with the video calls, Chaeyeon didn’t know she could miss Sakura’s presence so much.

 

However, tonight was when they would arrive. Even though she had a morning schedule, Chaeyeon had found herself waiting for them, even if they were meant to arrive at the dorms around 2 in the morning.

 

The anticipation must have gotten the best of Chaeyeon because the next thing she knew was being awoken with the sound of the front door opening. Chaeyeon jumped up when she heard the shuffles of the arriving members.

 

The Korean girl was suddenly greeted with the arriving Japanese members. They wore shocked expressions, seeing Chaeyeon in the living room.

 

“Chaeyeon?” said Sakura, leaving her suitcase and immediately embracing her Korean best friend. “You’re still awake?”

 

“I wanted to make sure you got home safe.” Chaeyeon replied, greeting Nako as well, affectionately hugging and patting her head.

 

“You didn’t have to.” Sakura almost scolds. “You should sleep.” She knew Chaeyeon had to wake up early in the morning.

 

Chaeyeon shook her head. “I wanted to see you.”

 

Sakura felt her heart quicken at those words. It had only been three days since seeing Chaeyeon, but she had felt a longing she had never felt. Although she often returned to Japan for schedules, it was the longest time she had been apart from Chaeyeon since debuting in IZ*ONE. It was not for the first time that Sakura had missed Chaeyeon, but it was the first time she had felt it so deeply.

 

“Thank you Chaeyeon.” Nako said, stepping away from the taller woman. “I’m so tired. I think I’m going to wash up and sleep.”

 

Chaeyeon lightly chuckled at the cute younger girl. “Okay, you go sleep. I’ll make you a nice breakfast when you get up.”

 

“Yay!” Nako quietly cheered, before disappearing into her bedroom.

 

“You should get ready for bed too.” Chaeyeon said kindly, knowing Sakura had a long day, even though she wanted nothing more than to talk to Sakura. However, seeing her, touching her, was enough for now. She could sleep soundly. 

 

Sakura shook her head. “I want to talk with Chaeyeon.”

 

Chaeyeon couldn’t help but smile. She was being awarded for staying up late. The pair fell onto the sofa, into their respective places, right next to each other. Even though it had only been three days, it felt like an eternity. It seemed like she had missed so much.

 

“How was the concert?” Chaeyeon asked, bathing in Sakura’s warmth. She resisted the urge to wrap her arms around the slender body, pushing it into her more.

 

Sakura, comfortable next to Chaeyeon, gushed about her time in Japan. She had visited her family and performed with her friends. She even went drinking with Anna and Aoi.

 

“It was great.” Sakura gleamed. “Just…”

 

Chaeyeon watched the light from Sakura’s wide eyes slightly dimmer. She hated seeing Sakura sad.

 

“Sasshi announced her graduation.”

 

Sashihara Rino. The woman that took care of Sakura for years. The one she knew Nako and Sakura, and even Hitomi, admired. Even though Sakura knew that previous members have left the group, announcing their graduation, when Sasshi announced it, it was different. In that moment, Sakura realised that not everyone can be an idol. Just as time continues, things will change. People will end up leaving and maturing, making themselves better as they grow.

 

Sakura wasn’t the only one that mellowed growing pains. The time apart made Chaeyeon realise that the group really wasn’t forever. Sakura and the other Japanese members would eventually have to return to their homeland. Eventually, the group would disband and each of the members would go their separate ways. Ultimately, Chaeyeon would be alone again.

 

Chaeyeon’s grip subconsciously tightened on the pillow. It was now or never. She wanted to tell Sakura how she felt, but she also was scared because inevitably Sakura would leave her behind.

 

However, if she wavered now, she could be preventing herself from living an even happier life. It was like when she chose to join Produce 48. Chaeyeon had risked everything, but with that, gained all the things she had wanted and more.

 

“I missed you.”

 

Those sincere words made Sakura’s heart quake. Her mind stopped. Sakura didn’t how to react.

 

“You not being here made me realise how short the time is.”

 

Sakura knew what Chaeyeon meant. It made her chest ache seeing Chaeyeon’s downcast expression. She reached forward, grasping the warm hand, starkly contrasting her cool palms.

 

“We’ve still got two years together.” Sakura said, always the optimist.

 

“That makes it worse.” Chaeyeon quietly replied, her shiny eyes staring into Sakura’s sparkling pupils.

 

Even with the lack of sleep, Sakura’s round eyes still focussed solely on Chaeyeon. That look was what made Chaeyeon enamoured. She could lose herself in those pupils.

 

“We’ll see each other again.” Sakura reassured, although she felt nervous herself.

 

“But not like this.” Chaeyeon returned. The days when Chaeyeon would wake up to Sakura making breakfast, when they had dinner together, when they stayed up late watching films – they were all numbered.

 

“I won’t be able to wait for you and we wouldn’t be able to talk like this.”

 

Finally, it was all too much. Tears blurred Chaeyeon’s vision and she dropped her head with embarrassment. She looked as the tear drops fell on their hands, wishing they would disappear.

 

“Don’t cry Chaeyeon.”

 

Chaeyeon looked up to see Sakura silently sobbing too.

 

Sakura was a cry baby. However, she never cried for her own sake. She always cried when those she cared for were having a hard time, especially when she thought it was because of her. Chaeyeon realised it wasn’t just Sakura’s eyes. It was Sakura’s heart that she adored too.

 

Laughter fell out of Chaeyeon’s lips. It was ridiculous. Love was ridiculous.

 

“Let’s make the most of the time we have now.” Chaeyeon finally said.

 

“How?”

 

Suddenly, Chaeyeon leaned in. She took the chance to be happy. Soft lips pressed together. They felt it.

 

Fireworks.